Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:04 pm
Taste The Saline Rolling Down Your Cheekbone, Feel Your Heart It Breaks Within Your Chest Now...

Word of the Day for Wednesday, May 24, 2006

torpid TOR-pid, adjective:

1. Having lost motion or the power of exertion and feeling; numb; benumbed.
2. Dormant; hibernating or estivating.
3. Dull; sluggish; apathetic.

Canary Islanders are citizens of Spain, but geography asserts itself from time to time, as a reminder that this land will always be Africa's: the trade winds get interrupted by strong gusts from the east that bring hot dust and sometimes even torpid, wind-buffeted locusts.
-- Barbara Kingsolver, "Where the Map Stopped", New York Times, May 17, 1992

For more than twenty years--all my adult life--I have lived here: my great weight sunk, torpid in the heat, into this sagged chair on my rooftop patio.
-- Peggy Payne, Sister India

Some animals became torpid in winter, others were torpid in summer.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson, The Conduct of Life

The debacle over signatures has roused the normally politically torpid Mayor, who dislikes pressing the flesh.
-- Jan Cienski, "Petition bungle robs Mayor of spot on ballot", National Post, July 30, 2002

It is a man's own fault . . . if his mind grows torpid in old age.
-- Samuel Johnson, quoted in James Boswell's Life of Samuel Johnson, Life of Samuel Johnson

Torpid comes from Latin torpidus, "numb, sluggish," from torpere, "to be sluggish, inert, or numb."

...I Hear Sound Echo In The Emptiness, All Around, But You Can't Change This Loneliness. Look At What You Found. I Am Falling Down

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:12 pm
Taste The Saline Rolling Down Your Cheekbone, Feel Your Heart It Breaks Within Your Chest Now...

Word of the Day for Monday, May 29, 2006

forfend for-FEND, transitive verb:

1. a. (Archaic) To prohibit; to forbid. b. To ward off; to prevent; to avert.
2. To defend; to protect; to preserve.

The Tory leader sort of wanted to say that the government should deploy the army more rapidly, but -- heaven forfend -- he didn't want to imply that it was anybody's fault that the soldiers hadn't been deployed!
-- Simon Hoggart, "A greasy whiff dispels the stench of worthiness", Guardian, March 22, 2001

If one of us is missing, heaven forfend, then the king's forces are diminished.
-- Leon Wieseltier, Kaddish

The river of discovery will continue to flow without cessation, deepening our understanding of the world and enhancing our capacity to forfend calamity and live congenial lives.
-- John Maddox, What Remains To Be Discovered

In addition, to forfend direct Chinese involvement, which was extremely unlikely, the administration guaranteed the northern regime, thus removing a major deterrent.
-- Morton A. Kaplan, "Cruel Vietnam Follies", The World & I, September 1, 1995

Forfend is from Middle English forfenden, from for-, "for-" + fenden, "to ward off."

...I Hear Sound Echo In The Emptiness, All Around, But You Can't Change This Loneliness. Look At What You Found. I Am Falling Down

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:13 pm

Word of the Day for Wednesday, May 31, 2006

pleonasm PLEE-uh-naz-uhm, noun:

1. The use of more words than are necessary to express an idea; as, "I saw it with my own eyes."
2. An instance or example of pleonasm.
3. A superfluous word or expression.

Dougan uses many words where few would do, as if pleonasm were a way of wringing every possibility out of the material he has, and stretching sentences a form of spreading the word.
-- Paula Cocozza, "Book review: How Dynamo Kiev beat the Luftwaffe", Independent, March 2, 2001

Such a phrase from President Nixon's era, much favored by politicians, is "at this moment in time." Presumably these five words mean "now." That pleonasm probably does little harm except, perhaps, to the reputation of the speaker.
-- Eoin McKiernan, "Last Word: Special Relationships", Irish America, August 31, 1994

Pleonasm is from Greek pleonasmos, from pleon, "greater, more."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:14 pm

Word of the Day for Sunday, June 4, 2006

extricate EK-struh-kayt, transitive verb:
To free or release from a difficulty or entanglement; to get free; to disengage.

Sean introduced himself and then extricated his hand from Ronan's persistent grasp in order to show him the photo.
-- Naeem Murr, The Boy

Ultimately they extricated Ned by lifting up the whole table-and-chair structure, thus allowing him to fall out onto the floor.
-- Joan L. Richards, Angles of Reflection: Logic and a Mother's Love

I knelt down, either out of weakness or out of gratitude to a god who had extricated me from yet another predicament.
-- Christa Wolf, Medea: A Modern Retelling

Extricate comes from Latin extricare, "to disentangle, to extricate," from ex-, "out" + tricae, "trifles, impediments, perplexities."

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:03 pm

Word of the Day for Monday, June 5, 2006

contumely kon-TYOO-muh-lee; -TOO-; KON-tyoo-mee-lee; -too-; KON-tum-lee, noun:

1. Rudeness or rough treatment arising from haughtiness and contempt; scornful insolence.
2. An instance of contemptuousness in act or speech.

Nothing aggravates tyranny so much as contumely.
-- Edmund Burke

The pedlars find satisfaction for all contumelies in making good bargains.
-- Nathaniel Hawthorne, The American Notebooks

Following years of police harassment and public contumely, he was arrested and charged with high treason, espionage and "anti-Soviet activity."
-- "Know Thyself, Free Thyself", New York Times, June 5, 1988

Contumely comes ultimately from Latin contumelia, outrage, insult.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:48 am

Word of the Day for Tuesday, April 15, 2008

miasma my-AZ-muh; mee-, noun:

1. A vaporous exhalation (as of marshes or putrid matter) formerly thought to cause disease; broadly, a thick vaporous atmosphere or emanation.
2. A harmful or corrupting atmosphere or influence; also, an atmosphere that obscures; a fog.

The critics, he says, "will sit in their large automobiles, spewing a miasma of toxic gas into the atmosphere, and they will thank you for not smoking a cigarette."
-- Charles E. Little, "No One Communes Anymore", New York Times, October 17, 1993

To destroy such prejudices, which many a time rise and spread themselves like a miasma, is an imperative duty of theory, for the misbegotten offspring of human reason can also be in turn destroyed by pure reason.
-- Carl von Clausewitz, On War (translated by Colonel James John Graham)

He spends whatever money he has on hash and eventually heroin . . . and proceeds to sink into a miasma of anger and alienation.
-- Jhumpa Lahiri, "Money Talks in Pakistan", New York Times, March 12, 2000

Girls of my generation stumbled through much of our early adolescence in a dense miasma of longing.
-- Ellen Pall, "She had a Crush on Them", New York Times, July 29, 1990

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:21 pm

gravid GRAV-id, adjective:
Being with child; heavy with young or eggs; pregnant.

For the moment the Cap'n Toby lies at rest outside the harbor, and the twelve-inch mackerels that Brian and I are cutting up for lobster bait are ripe, their bellies gravid with either blood-red roe or milt the color of sailors' bones.
-- Richard Adams Carey, Against the Tide

In North America, in contrast, the British conquered an empire; New France disappeared from history. But -- Anderson's profound theme -- Britain's triumph was gravid with defeat.
-- Jack Beatty, "Defeat in Victory", The Atlantic, December 2000

she is a bored society matron who seduces him before a carload gravid with already weary, now grossed-out morning commuters.
-- Rita Kempley, review of The Adjuster (MGM/UA Studios movie), Washington Post, June 29, 1992

Gravid derives from Latin gravidus, from gravis, "heavy."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:20 pm

Word of the Day for Monday, June 19, 2006

ephemeron ih-FEM-uh-ron, noun;
plural ephemera ih-FEM-uh-ruh:

1. Something short-lived or of no lasting significance.
2. ephemera: Items, especially printed matter (as posters, broadsides, pamphlets, etc.), intended to be of use or importance for only a short time but preserved by collectors.

And collections of correspondence will always reveal "a remarkable mind, grappling with everything from the ephemera of day-to-day life to the mysteries of the universe."
-- John Bloom, "The 'Art' of the Review", National Review, May 21, 2002

The Sanskrit word for the world is jagati, while the word for changing or evanescent is jagat: the world's evanescent nature is actually built into the very definition of "world." Yet behind this shimmering ephemeron lies the deeper, sacred reality -- Brahman, the infinite, transcendent reality that covers and pervades all things.
-- Pravrajika Vrajaprana, "Contemporary Spirituality and the Thinning of the Sacred: A Hindu Perspective", Cross Currents, Spring-Summer 2000

It is one of the most collectable of all cult shows, with an army of fans hungry for a plethora of Star Trek ephemera.
-- Nick Pandya, "To boldly go where others don't", The Guardian, March 23, 2002

Ephemeron is from Greek, from ephemeros, "daily; lasting or living only a day," from epi, "upon" + hemera, "day."

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:23 pm

Word of the Day for Tuesday, June 20, 2006

clemency KLEM-uhn-see, noun:

1. Disposition to forgive and spare, as offenders; mercy.
2. An act or instance of mercy or leniency.
3. Mildness, especially of weather.

He put in a strong plea for clemency, begging the king to spare the alchemist's life.
-- Janet Gleeson, The Arcanum: The Extraordinary True Story

The commission . . . hinted that many of those on death row in Illinois deserved clemency.
-- Jodi Wilgoren, "Can use of the penalty be cut back? Illinois study fuels debate", International Herald Tribune, April 17, 2002

Clemency comes from Latin clementia, from clemens, "mild, merciful."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:34 pm

Word of the Day for Wednesday, June 21, 2006

languor LANG-guhr; LANG-uhr, noun:

1. Mental or physical weariness or fatigue.
2. Listless indolence, especially the indolence of one who is satiated by a life of luxury or pleasure.
3. A heaviness or oppressive stillness of the air.

Without health life is not life, wrote Rabelais, "life is not livable. . . . Without health life is nothing but languor."
-- Joseph Epstein, Narcissus Leaves the Pool

Charles's court exuded a congenial hedonism. It was exuberant and intemperate, given to both languor and excess.
-- John Brewer, The Pleasures of the Imagination

Outside the window, New Orleans . . . brooded in a faintly tarnished languor, like an aging yet still beautiful courtesan in a smokefilled room, avid yet weary too of ardent ways.
-- Thomas S. Hines, William Faulkner and the Tangible Past

Sleep and dreams would swallow up the languor of daytime.
-- Patrick Chamoiseau, School Days (translated by Linda Coverdale)

Languor is from Latin languor, from languere, "to be faint or weak." The adjective form is languorous.

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:42 pm

sobriquet SO-brih-kay; -ket; so-brih-KAY; -KET, noun:
A nickname; an assumed name; an epithet.

In addition to his notorious amours, he became distinguished for a turbulent naval career, particularly for the storms he weathered, thus bringing him the sobriquet "Foulweather Jack".
-- Phyllis Grosskurth, Byron: The Flawed Angel

At a small reception on the occasion of my twenty-fifth anniversary in this position, my good friend Izzy Landes raised a glass and dubbed me the Curator of the Curators, a sobriquet I have worn with pride ever since.
-- Alfred Alcorn, Murder in the Museum of Man

There was an omnivorous intellect that won him the family sobriquet of Walking Encyclopedia.
-- Eric Liu, The Accidental Asian

Sobriquet is from the French, from Old French soubriquet, "a chuck under the chin, hence, an affront, a nickname."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:44 pm

Word of the Day for Sunday, June 25, 2006

sedulous SEJ-uh-luhs, adjective:

1. Diligent in application or pursuit; steadily industrious.
2. Characterized by or accomplished with care and perseverance.

He did not attain this distinction by accident but by sedulous study from the cradle forward.
-- Alexander Cockburn and Jeffrey St. Clair, Al Gore: A User's Manual

This writing is clearly the product of sedulous art, but it has the flame of spontaneity and the grit of independence both as to mode and spirit.
-- "The Wonder and Wackiness of Man", New York Times, January 17, 1954

And so he reminded the legion that, even though his veneration of his country's flag may not have inhibited sedulous avoidance of the inconveniences of serving under it, he is a patriot so wholehearted that he signed the Arkansas law that forbids flag-burning.
-- Murray Kempton, "Signs of Defeat In the Wind", Newsday, August 30, 1992

Sedulous is from Latin sedulus, "busy, diligent," from se-, "apart, without" + dolus, "guile, trickery."

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

iLuffie

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:12 pm
Moaaaaaaaar
[Gimme gimmeh.]  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:23 pm

Word of the Day for Wednesday, May 7, 2008

contrite KON-tryt; kuhn-TRYT, adjective:

1. Deeply affected with grief and regret for having done wrong; penitent; as, "a contrite sinner."
2. Expressing or arising from contrition; as, "contrite words."

Contrite sinners forgiven, yes.
-- Richard de Mille, My Secret Mother

Within days, a contrite Clarence Arthur was sending her roses and violets, even a bad poem.
-- Paul Mariani, The Broken Tower

Often he'd look contrite and even apologize.
-- Rafer Johnson with Philip Goldberg, The Best That I Can Be

Contrite derives from Latin conterere, "to rub away, to grind," hence "to obliterate, to abase," from con- + terere, "to rub, to rub away."

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Abyssinian 84

10,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:05 pm

Word of the Day for Tuesday, May 6, 2008

amalgam uh-MAL-guhm, noun:

1. An alloy of mercury with another metal or metals; used especially (with silver) as a dental filling.
2. A mixture or compound of different things.

In that year, Zola struck back at the novelist and critic Jules Barbey d'Aurevilly, that curious amalgam of religious conservative and blasphemous melodramatist -- Zola called him a"hysterical Catholic" -- whom he had long detested for his superior bearing and his unfortunate sallies against writers Zola admired.
-- Gary B. Nash, History on Trial

The so-called "protest" literature of the thirties was often an amalgam of the private rebellion of youth with social revolt.
-- Nona Balakian, The World of William Saroyan

The governing body of college athletics is gradually extruding a regulatory text that reads like some crazed amalgam of the Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus and the Uniform Commercial Code.
-- Paul F. Campos, Jurismania

Her vocabulary was an amalgam of slang, especially the show-business jargon of Broadway and Tin Pan Alley, and a requisite amount of cultivated English.
-- James A. Drake, Rosa Ponselle: A Centenary Biography

Amalgam comes from Old French amalgame, from Medieval Latin amalgama, probably from Greek malagma, "emollient," from malassein, "to soften," from malakos, "soft."

19: ~*This Could Be Coco Puffs!!! (POLLS WELCOME!!)*~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff