Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!
[How-To] Learn To Write Your Own Spells Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lysdexic Lolerskate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:19 pm
NOTE: This class/discussion is no longer taught/led by a teacher. However, please feel free to read through it and ask any questions that you may have or express any thoughts/opinions you have. Just please don't ask, "Can I join the class?" Because the answer is 'no'. Thank you.

Spell Creation with Fenris Fenrir

Most witches, when they are ready, perform spells. It is one of the major factors that distinguishes Wicca from other religions. Since that is the case, one usually finds a spell from a book of spells or book of shadows and performs that one. I am here to tell you that you do not need to always use someone elses spells. In fact, I'm going to challenge you. I am going to challenge you to not use someone else's spell for the next spell you do. I want you to write your own spell. And that is what this thread is going to aid you with. Spell Creation.

-----------
- Introduction (You Are Here)
- What exactly does a spell consist of?
- How do I start and what do I put in it?
- Are you sure I'm not doing this wrong?
- Techniques to help with "spell block"  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:23 pm
What does a spell consist of?

Well, here we are, spell creation 101. Now, take a moment to think about a magick spell. What do you do when you cast a spell? What is a spell made of? Casting a circle, having a few candles or symbols, and saying some hocus pocus rhyme? Well...yes. But there is more than that. Lets look a little bit deeper.

Note: Spells take time. Please spend time with your spells. Don't just shell them out in 10 minutes. Take time.

-- Purpose --

Every spell has a focused purpose. It is very detailed. The purpose is what drives the spell to completion and (hopefully) success. When designing a spell, you need to take a considerable amount of time thinking of a detailed purpose. Now this doesn't mean writing 4 pages on what you want your spell to acomplish, but this does mean thinking details. Vague spells rarely work and can sometimes lead to disaster.

If you want a sleep spell to help you sleep at night, your purpose isn't just "to make me sleep". The purpose would depend on the situation. Perhaps if you had insomnia or if you couldn't sleep because of bad dreams. Try to find the cause of what isn't making you sleep.

Lets go with bad dreams....

Purpose: To rid me of my bad dreams at night so I can have a peaceful night sleep.

--Instead of just deciding to make a spell that will make fall asleep, we decided that our lack of sleep was because of bad dreams so our purpose became "Rid me of my bad dreams in order to help me sleep at night."

Now that we have a good purpose, lets move on.

--The Items Needed--

Most spells use some form of a ceremonial item, whether it be candles, ribbon, spoons, herbs, etc. So, for your spell, you would want to research and find some things that will help enhance your spell so it has a big boost of energy and magick. Colours and herbs are very popular as well as symbolic things like pictures and little trinkets. When looking at tools and items to use in your spell, think small and simple. Too many can make your spell too complex.

So, for our dream spell:
-- We could use a bundle of lavender and/or some lavander scented insense
------> Lavander is known to aid in sleep
-- We could also have fun drawing a picture of an ugly monster thingie and label it "Bad Dreams" and after we are done saying our prose, rip it up.
-- We could also use an amethyst crystal too, if you want.

So, we have our items, and our purpose, let's get writing.  

Lysdexic Lolerskate

Lysdexic Lolerskate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:17 pm
How do I start?

So, now that we have a purpose and list of items we've decided to use, now is the time to begin the writing process...

The use of words is very powerful. Take care in selecting the words. Don't just put in a bunch of words that sound cute because they make a little rhyme. Rhyme is alright, since it makes it easier to memorize (for most people) so you can aim for that but look for words that are meaningful. Avoid vague words. Play around with them, feel free to edit all you want, the gods will forgive you if you aren't the best with words. Also, put feeling into the words you choose. Have them have a special meaning to you.

This is an example, so it isn't the best, but let's continue with our bad dream example.

Here on this ___(day)___ night
I am constantly bugged by a creapy fright.
I ask for help, from the Goddess on high
To help make peace and wave those bad dreams goodbye.
Please help me now, it would bring joy to me,
With no harm done, so mote it be.

Now this was a cute little rhyme but you get the idea. Make it personal to you and don't try to make it sound all official and use big words to sound important because that means it isn't comming from your heart. And that is important.

I also warn you, to please add at the end, "With no harm done, so mote it be" so that you follow the rule of "no harm done". That is important for any spell.

So, now that we have our prose written, we can now perform it. We have our items all together, and we have our spell memorized. Please note that it is OK to go off book, just stay cool but also make an effort to know it somewhat. You probably will since you took time to write the words.

Next step:

-Cast your circle (That is a another class. It is OK to use pre-made circle casting rituals since they are the most effective because everyone uses them.) Make sure that all your things are inside your circle when you cast it.

-Light candles, hold up lavander, burn insense, etc. (However you decided to use your items during your spell)

-Recite Prose

-Thank the Goddess and close circle.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:23 pm
Am I doing this wrong?!

If you have taken time to work on your spell and you've followed the steps close enough, then no, you probably aren't doing it wrong. In fact there isn't really a "wrong" way. Don't doubt yourself. Believe in yourself, that is what makes spells effective. Believe. But, if you do have some major questions, feel free to ask someone (including myself) and I'm sure they'd be happy to help. smile  

Lysdexic Lolerskate

Lysdexic Lolerskate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:27 pm
"Spell Block"

Ah spell block. If you're stumped on how to begin a spell, don't fret. Try these!

-Listen to some music you enjoy. You might get inspired.
-Meditate on the topic.
- Is a spell really needed?
- Ask the Goddess for help
- Read up on some of the items you were thinking of.
- For herbs, try looking through a magickal herb encyclopedia. There is a really good one by Cunningham. smile
-Try the dot method (see below)

The Dot Method (T.D.M)
Step 1: Get a blank piece of paper, and a pen/pencil

Step 2: Make 5 dots randomly on the paper. (Leave some room to write next to them)

Step 3: Pick a dot and establish that as your reason for doing your spell. Why do you think this spell is necessary? Write it near the dot.

Step 4: Pick another dot and establish that as your "purpose" What do you want it to do. Remember, details.

Step 5: Pick dots for Date/Time, Items, and Prose.

Step 6: Connect the dots, starting at reason, then to purpose, then to date/time, then items, then prose, then back to reason.

This should help you get organized and hopefully inspired. And look down at your paper and see that you have made a sigil for that spell. You can put that on a candle or tool to help you.

Other Methods Coming Soon...

I hope this helps. If anyone has any other ideas on how to help with Spell Block, please send me a PM or post it in this thread.

If you ever need help, just ask me. smile I'm here.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:30 pm
Teacher: Fenrir Fenris

Students:
- Zavriel
- fairy_phoebe_1
- broken.tormented
- [ Asteria of the Stars ]
- Kakatary
-
-
-
-  

Lysdexic Lolerskate

Zavriel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:27 pm
Fenrir Fenris

Students:
-Zavriel
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:42 pm
Fenrir Fenris

Students:
-fairy_phoebe_1
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

penelope_2121

Lysdexic Lolerskate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:20 pm
All right kids. Welcome. Now, I want you to try to write your own spell. Try to get one done in about a week or so and then post your finished piece in the thread here. We can discuss it and talk about it. That is your homeowrk for the week. smile Don't worry, I'm not a hard grader. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:43 pm
Fenrir Fenris

Students:
- broken.tormented
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

broken_tormented

Lysdexic Lolerskate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:04 pm
student list has been updated.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:01 pm
Can I please join the class? whee  

Rainbow wonder

Lysdexic Lolerskate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:16 am
[ Asteria of the Stars ]
Can I please join the class? whee
of course. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:23 pm
just one small question. what about just voice spells? i live in a cristian home and have not but a pentacale and radical, uptight (lack of a better word) parents. no burning or smelly stuff of any kind.  

The Wiccan One

Lysdexic Lolerskate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:38 pm
The Wiccan One
just one small question. what about just voice spells? i live in a cristian home and have not but a pentacale and radical, uptight (lack of a better word) parents. no burning or smelly stuff of any kind.
Well you can still do spells with no tools or items. Just saying the words and visualizing your spell working can bring success. The tools and items are just to aid you more. The basis of the spell is the visualizing and the written word.  
The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games