Welcome to Gaia! ::

The AvP (Alien VS Predator/Aliens VS Predator) Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Aliens vs. Predator
Yautja Dictionary (If you've seen TheHunted's, read this.)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chupi the Terrible
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:37 am
Hopefully jack won't mind me making this sticky... Anyway, months ago I re-obtained the three Aliens VS Predator novels and proved that not only were the web's yautja dictionaries horribly inaccurate in their definitions, but nearly half of their terms were fan-made. And that includes Cetanu, which is actually contredictory to the yautja pantheon which has the Black Warrior, a goddess of death who takes the form of a queen alien. So says Machiko Noguchi in AvP: War. Well, here. I will put up my revised version fo the yautja dictionary. If I've missed a term or phrase, find it in the books and give me a page number and I'll add it. If you can't find it, that probably means it was one of the made-up terms and has just been embedded into your memory by years of exposure to false information.

Hish terms are not included, but should it be requested I am perfectly willing to make another post with those listed.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:38 am
Yautja Names
'A'ni-de: Undefined.
'Aseigan: Servant.
Bakuub: Straight spear.
Chulonte: Undefined.
Ci'tde: Undefined.
Dachande: Different knife.
Da'dtou-di: Femminine for "little knife."
Da-ec'te: Undefined.
Etah'-dte: Undefined.
Ghardeh: Undefined.
Gkyaun: Undefined.
Ki'vik'non: Name, undefined.
Lar'nix'va: Name, undefined.
Mahnde: Undefined.
M'icli-de: Undefined.
Nat'ka'pu: Name, undefined.
Ne'dtesei: Undefined, it may not even be an actual name. It was the name of Dachande/Yeyinde's ship in AvP: Prey.
Nei'hman: Undefined.
Oc'djy: Undefined.
Skemte: Undefined.
Skl'da'-si: Undefined.
Tichinde: Undefined.
Vk'leita: Undefined.
Warkha: Undefined.
Yeyinde: Brave one.

Who/What Names Belonged To
'Aseigan: One of Yeyinde's unblooded, he refused to take orders from Tichinde and hunt humans, and was thus murdered.
'A'ni-de (Prey) : Yeyinde's old clan leader.
Bakuub (Hunter's Planet): One of Nat'ka'pu's students. He is quite tall even for a yautja, and took over the clan apon Lar'nix'va's death. Level headed and calm, he has the makings for a great leader.
Chulonte (Prey) : One of Yeyinde's unblooded warriors, he was killed when a human vehicle smashed him up against a boulder.
Ci'tde (Prey) : One of Vk'leita's blooded warriors, he was to take the group on the initial scouting trip.
Dachande (Prey) : The nickname of Yeyinde, which he wears like a badge.
Da'dtou-di (Prey) : Machiko Noguchi's yautja name.
Da-ec'te (Prey) : One of Yeyinde's unblooded, died at the hands of human defense weapons.
Etah'-dte (Prey) : One of Yeyinde's unblooded.
Ghardeh (Prey) : A yautja with long tresses who was one of Tichinde's cohorts. Yeyinde viewed him as a follower, and the least threatening of the three.
Gkyaun (Prey) : One of Yeyinde's unblooded, he wanted to stay with the wounded Yeyinde and tend to his injuries. He unintentionally saved Machiko Noguchi as xenomorphs swarmed at her, intending to kill them both but ultimately dying at the hands of the drones.
Ki'vik'non (Hunter's Planet) : One of Nat'ka'pu's students. Nat'ka'pu never trusted him, and questioned his sense of honor.
Lar'nix'va (Hunter's Planet) : One of Nat'ka'pu's students. Exceptionally short for a yautja, he took over the "pack" when Nat'ka'pu died.
Mahnde (Prey) : A short yautja unblooded who was one of Tichinde's cohorts.
M'icli-de (Prey) : One of Yeyinde's unblooded.
Nat'ka'pu (Hunter's Planet) : The original clan leader in AvP: Hunter's Planet, he wasn't big on certain ancient yautja sayings, such as "once begun, the fight would not end until the end." Very irrationable and full of contempt. He claims to have performed the very task Dachande did in beating a drone unarmed, but he doesn't actually show the skill for such a task and it has been stated that Dachande was the only yautja to ever accomplish such a task. Nat'ka'pu fell at the hands of what could be considered the novels' first XENOBORG.
Ne'dtesei (Prey) : Yeyinde's ship.
Nei'hman (Prey) : Yeyinde's dead brother. He died on the Kainde Amedha Chiva, while Yeyinde managed to kill two drones.
Oc'djy (Prey) : One of Yeyinde's less adept students, he was ironically the last student left alive. He was shot dead by Machiko Noguchi.
Skemte (Prey) : One of Yeyinde's prized blooded warriors.
Skl'da'-si (Prey) : One of Yeyinde's unblooded, he had the best vision of them all.
Tichinde (Prey) : A hot blooded unblooded who was arrogant and threcherous.
Vk'leita (Prey) : Another clan leader who had once hunted with Dachande, he is the one who found the blooded Machiko Noguchi.
Warkha (Prey) : One of Yeyinde's prized blooded warriors.
Yeyinde (Prey) : The clan leader in Prey, he is the youngest of all clan leaders, is the only yautja to ever defeat a xenomorph unarmed, and has spawned 73 children.

Misc. Terms
'Aseigan: Servant.
Ch'hkt-a: Excited.
Cjit: An explative, possibly a mispronounced "s**t" adopted from human dialect.
C'ntlip: Alcohol-like beverage. Very strong. "Firey brew," possibly served hot?
Dia-shui: Yautja musk.
Dhi'ki-de: The sleep near death.
Dtai'kai'-dte: Undefined. Possibly meaning hunt or battle.
Dto: Possibly forest or jungle, but not tree. (( Between the burning rain and the hanging trees of the dto, it was hard to see. ))
Gkei'moun: Unknown, possibly simple, maybe likely a "simple" type of object or animal. (( This was routine; he had led a score of missions such as this one, and he could do it blindfolded, with dull blades and a dead burner in his sleep. An easy run, gkei'moun simple. ))
Gry'sui-bpe: Stampede.
H'dui'se: The scent of yautja musk.
Hiju: A spear position used in battle, likely one done to use the edge as a swinging blade rather than stabbing tool.
H'ka-se: Translates to “now.”
Hult'ah: Undefined. Possibly a lookout or rear guard.
H'ulij-bpe: Crazy.
Jedhin/jedhin: Hand to hand combat where anything goes, usually non-fatal.
Ka'rik'na: What it's called when "the summoning" is performed. This is a loud call used by isolated individuals to call apon their yautja brothren, and for clan leaders to call their students and fellow hunters while on the hunt.
Kehrite: The training and sparring room. Machiko Noguchi called it "The Pit."
Ki'cte: Seemingly a demand, like saying "this is an order!"
Kwei: Coward, cowardly.
Kv'var: Exercises.
Lou-dte: A slur for females, translating to "child-maker." Also the name of a type of crawler machine used to deposit facehugger eggs.
Mei'hswe: Either brother or sibling, most likely brother.
Mesh'in'ga: "The battle dreamtime." This is what it is called when the thrill of danger or the hunt brings forth past memories of great battles in one's past.
Mi: Fire.
Nan'ku: Undefined. Possibly alive, or more likely, breathing.
Naxa: A type of fruit.
Paya: Paya is used to refer to deities and to great warriors.
Pauk: An explative, similar to "********> Undefined, but something fast and deadly. Possibly an ancient yautja caste, or an animal species.
S'pke: A kind of fruit stew.
S'yuit-de: Another explative. Possibly the equivilant of us yelling "b*****d" or "son of a b***h."
Tarei'hsan: General term for bug.
Te'dqi: Xenomorph spittle secretion used to line hive walls.
Thän: A specific planet the yautja know of, referred to as "a world of dense metals and poisonous weather." Possibly where their metals come from.
Thei-de: Dead, sometimes used to refer to stupidity as well.
Thwei: Blood.
Tjauke: Undefined. Possibly meaning rock, but not compressed dust. (( the crawler went toward a high mountain of some unknown matereal, perhaps the cliff was of tjau'ke or compressed dirt. ))
Ui'stbi: Geography.
U'sl-kwe: Final rest.
Var: What the yautja call a specific planet that humans colonized and turned into an ultimate big game hunting resort.
Z'skvy-de: The eruptive phase of xenomorph gestation.

Phrases
Chi'-dte ooman-di lou'-dte Dahdtoudi kalei: The geist is "you love human women and want to father Dahdtoudi's children." What I can translate is: “Chi'-dte human-di child barer Dahdtoudi kalei.” So it may be that Chi’-dte means you love or love, and kalei is some sort of shortened version of that annoyingly infamous “bare my children,” phrase.
Dtai'kai'-dte sa-de nau'gkon dtain'aun bpi-de: The fight begun would not end until the end.
Ell-osde' pauk: "******** you."
Hma'mi-de: Usually used in collaberation with "Payas leitjin-de," possibly a sort of prayer or declaration of forgiveness or mercy.
Kainde Amedha Chiva: The hard meat trial, the blooding hunt.
Nain-desintje-de: The pure win. "Perfect," to those who play fighting games.
Nan-de Than-guan: The Kiss of Midnight.
Payas leitjin-de: Remember God's practice.
Thin-de le'hsaun 'aloun'myin/bpi-de gka-de hsou-depaya: Learn the gift of all sights, or finish the dance of the fallen gods.

Technology
'Awu'asa': Battle armor and gear.
Dlex: A strong, flexable matereal able to withstand most blades and acids. Most likely leathery or metalic.
Gkinmara: A sensory camera.
H'sai-de: A scythe-like sword.
Ki'cti-pa: Wristblades.
Lou-dte: Crawler robot, deposits facehugger eggs. Also a slur for females, translating to "child-maker."
Tarei'hsan loops: ... "Bug loops?" Possibly the dlex straps with recording devices on them.
Tyioe-ti: Escape pod.

Species
Bisor: A small, dog-like species of mammal indigionous to the planet Var.
Kainde amedha: Xenomorphs, translates to "hard meat."
Ooman: A mispronounced form of human.
Pyode amedha: Any soft-fleshed animal.
Rjet: Undefined animal species.
Tarei'hasan: Undefined, some sort of animal species.
Yautja: What the preds call themselves.
Zabin: A specis of insect. Possibly native to the home world.

Extra
These are not actual yautja words, but they are things listed in the novels for ways to describe something.
Black Warrior: The yautja deity of death. In War, it is revealed it is a goddess of death and takes the form fo a xenomorph queen.
Burner: Any sort of gun can be called a burner. It seems to most often be used to a sort of hand held plasma rifle that's size and form are debatable, but it only holds a definate amount of shots until it's ammunition is replaced.
Tress: Tresses being the plural. This is the term usually used to refer to the yautja equivilant of hair.  

Chupi the Terrible
Captain

Chupi the Terrible
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:27 am
Fan-made Terms
These terms NEVER appeared in the books, but every other yautja dictionary includes them as though their canon or secondary canon. These terms were all made up in fanfictions or just pulled out of people's asses, but some of them are decently done. Because of this, I will give them their own section here. Should you actually no for a fact any of these terms appear in a book, give me the book title and page number and I'll change it. But if you cannot find it, chances are I'm right. I scoured through the three novels in detail, and although I'm sure I missed a few... I know these yautja dictionaries missed a lot more, mistranslate quite a few terms, and have quite a few fan-made terms that really shouldn't be included.

EDIT: Ya know what, I'm getting sick of typing down these phrases. Just don't trust anything you see at Dark Moon Hunters, their dictionary is more than 90% fan-made terms, and mistranslates most of it's very very few non-fan made ones.

Agaj'ya: Realm.
Akrei-non: Bombs, explosives.
Al'Nagara: Long sword.
Bhrak-chei: Speargun/harpoon. (... Those are two completely different types of weapons!)
Bhu'ja: Ghost.
Cetanu: The yautja god of death. This term is contredictory to the yautja pantheon, however... As their deity of death is the Black Warrior, who according to Machiko Noguchi in Aliens VS Predator: War, is a goddess who takes the form of an alien queen. This actually makes a lot more sense, seeing as females are the dominant sex in their society so it's pretty obvious the most important deities will be goddesses, not gods. It is because of this contredicition that personally, I don't allow the use of this term in my RPs.
Chakt'ra: Smart disk.
Chi'imps: Chimps. ... ... ... Must I really point out hoe horrendously obviously fake this term is?
Chi-ytei: Embrace, hug.
Dai'kte: Wristblades.
Dah'Nagara: Short sword.
Dekna: Eye.
Dteinou: Messenger.
D'yeka: The ultimate prey, mythological.
Ek'so Oota: Combat exosuit.
Ghequo: A viscious animal with a set a jaws able to gnaw through dlex; 4 meter long mammal-like carnivore tht evolved where the average size of most of the wildlife is between 5-10 meters. (It is a mere rodent on this world.)
Halkrath: Shadow.
Ikthya-de: Umbra. (What the ******** is umbra?)
Ju'dha: Water.
Kha'bj-te: Maniac/reckless.
Kiloun: Wood.
Kjuhte: Void.
Kv'var-de: Hunter. (The exercise = hunter? Riiiight...)
Kv'Vurj-de: Energy flachette.
Kujhade: Destroyer.
Kuty'y'ae: Six-legged reptilian from the planet Kut'y'ae; fierce in battle, not very bright.
Lar'ja: Dark.
Luar-ke: Moon.
Mar'cte: Killer.
Mei-jadhi: Sister.
Mo: No.
Nihkou'te: Tusk.
N'-ithya: Earth, ground, dirt, land.
Nok: Unit of measurement, equivilant to 13 inches.
Nrak'ytara: Guardian.
N'yaka-de: Master.
Pifc-nah': Can be found on the snow world of Ywa; not very intelligent, but deadly nonetheless; single horn atop the head, used mainly for sparring with other males of the same species.
P'kya'uha: Sniper.
R'ka: Fire.
Rxio-asul: The bright coloring on this crustacean's back is not of artificial means; life on their planet has odd pigmentation when compared to most life in the rest of the galaxy; a pesky foe that chews your feet.
Sain'ja: Warrior.
Setg'in: Plague.
Sivk'va-tai: Shoulder cannon.
Syra'yte: Head.
Taun'dcha: Pistol, firearm, sidearm, gun.
Th'syra: Skull.
Vayuh'ta: Air.
Vor'mekta: Stalker.
U'darahje: Abomination.
Z'skuy-de: Convulsions/spasms.

Questionable
These are a few terms I swear I remember finding, but cannot find in my notes... So i'm unsure whether or not they're "real."

Bpi-de: End, finish, enough.
L'ulij-bpe: Crazy.
Nain-de: A type of hunt.
Zazin: Self centered, pompous.

Mistranslated
These you will also find in my normal starting page. This is a list of terms badly mistranslated by the other dictionaries, along with what they call them.

Dhi'ki-de: Coma. (... There's a difference between comas and "the sleep near death.")
Jedhin: An individual or an unblooded warrior. (Individual could be acceptable since jedhin/jedhin is one-on-one combat, but it definately does not mean an unblooded warrior.)
Ki'cti-pa: Spear, combi stick, lance. (It means wristblades. Amusingly enough, the idiots who defined it as spear also gave wristblades the fake name of "dah'kte.")
Mi: Oil. (It actually seems to mean fire. However, I will soon look into this to make sure.)
Paya: The yautja warrior god. (Paya has never been used in such a way in the books. Payas was used to refer to "the gods," and paya was used a few times in the same kind of manner as some people call Micheal Jordon a god at basketball. And once again, in a society run by females... Most major deities are probably going to be goddesses, not gods.)
S'yuit-de: A low and demeaning description of something. (Whether or not this is incorrect is debatable. But the term seems to be yet another yautja explative, equivilant to English's "b*****d" or "son of a b***h.")
Tarei'hsan: An unworthy opponent. (I can forgive them for this one, since in the books it was used in that manner ONCE... But as it's used more and more, it's obviously a general term for insect or bug. It was just being used in a derragatory manner that one time.)
Tjau'ke: Hard packed dirt or dust. (The way it was used obviously did not mean either of these, since that was the second possibility of what the cliffs could be made of. I commend "the Yautja Encyclopedia" for actually correcting their own definition of this rather recently, changing compacted dust to rock. Though it's still inappropriate for them to have "packed dirt" in their definition.)  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:34 am
Thats is really helpfull and expansive, well looks like im going to have to learn some new terms biggrin

Also here is The Predators Guilds version just incase it has anything you missed (its a predator guild with AvP pictures everywhere confused )linky  

Ravenger-VXS

predatorjenny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:32 am
interesting  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:04 pm
Ravenger-VXS
Thats is really helpfull and expansive, well looks like im going to have to learn some new terms biggrin

Also here is The Predators Guilds version just incase it has anything you missed (its a predator guild with AvP pictures everywhere confused )linky

It's been too long since I looked here... Actually, that IS my version of the compiled yautja dictionary. The person specifically asked if they could use it some months back. For the record... Anyone can use it, and please do. Due to false infromation, primarily from fanfictions, the yautja dictionaries of the net are horrendously tainted. The entire point is that I'm trying to help restore what it really is, and just slice out all the contredictory crap and inaccurate/outright incorrect definitions out there. As far as I can tell, this seems to be complete. And with the yautja no longer being used, it will never need to expand and hence never will be incomplete. (Though I do still need to look through and fix all the typos.)  

Chupi the Terrible
Captain

The-Nightmare-Creator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:35 pm
how did you find this out exactly...  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:22 pm
He reads lots of books and such. Trust me, Chupi here is good with his research ;D  

King Pumpkin Jack
Crew

Hayabashi2
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:24 pm
Chupi the Terrible
Ravenger-VXS

It's been too long since I looked here... Actually, that IS my version of the compiled yautja dictionary. The person specifically asked if they could use it some months back. For the record... Anyone can use it, and please do. Due to false infromation, primarily from fanfictions, the yautja dictionaries of the net are horrendously tainted. The entire point is that I'm trying to help restore what it really is, and just slice out all the contredictory crap and inaccurate/outright incorrect definitions out there. As far as I can tell, this seems to be complete. And with the yautja no longer being used, it will never need to expand and hence never will be incomplete. (Though I do still need to look through and fix all the typos.)

i almost forgot all my AVP knowledge, sadly...I wouldn't be surprised if some of the stuff I had posted for this thread were incorrect.  
Aliens vs. Predator

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games