Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:58 pm
DJ Ducki
Iomma Sensei
Bracers of Armor don't count as armor (even though they provide an armor bonus), and thus, can be used by those such as Mages or Monks.

Nifty thing about the Bracers is: you can give it magical properties much like that of armor (only up to a +5 for non-epic characters).

You can? oo; thats interesting, never knew about that. Kinda like the thought of having monks with magically enchanted fist wraps so that they would keep their unarmed strike damage but add effects to it (at least I thought that)

Same difference, right?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:03 pm
DarkHayama
indeed. Are there anything other than gloves that give a dex bonus? I mean, there's lots of different AC bonuses, but the only Dex giving item I know of are gloves of Dex. I haven't really memorized the items even in the DMG though, so I dunno.

Well, if you look in the DMG (near the back of the magic items chapter), there are different pricings for making a magic item that takes up a different slot than normal:

Different slot= base cost x1.5
No slot (as in, all you have to do is have it on your person, or whatever)= base cost x2

So, essentially, you could have a Hat of Dex +4 or a small rock you keep in your pocket that gives you a +4 to Dex. Only problem, most bonuses don't stack <.<, but it gets rid of that pesky "slot" problem.  

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

DarkHayama
Crew

Unforgiving Millionaire

15,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:07 pm
that's why I like the idea of buffing up my dex. As far as I'm aware, most increases to dex stack. And as my dex goes up, so does my AC hehe. I know AC has that problem, the only AC bonus that stacks is dodge. Which really sucked in NWN, because they made Mage Armor give you 1 AC to four different types. So most of them didn't stack, making it practically useless.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:18 pm
DarkHayama
that's why I like the idea of buffing up my dex. As far as I'm aware, most increases to dex stack. And as my dex goes up, so does my AC hehe. I know AC has that problem, the only AC bonus that stacks is dodge. Which really sucked in NWN, because they made Mage Armor give you 1 AC to four different types. So most of them didn't stack, making it practically useless.

It happens. Here's the list for a dang good ac:

Bracers of Armor
Ring of Force Sheild (or whatever it's called)
Amulet of Natural Armor
Ring of Protection
[whatever] of Dex

Up them all to as high as they can go (use the Epic Level Handbook, it gets crazy there), and POOF! Instant stackable ac.  

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

DJ Ducki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:41 pm
Well the dex bonuses stack in different things but the actual items themselves (Bracers of Armor) basically create that sort of Armor bonus and wouldn't be amplified if there was another form (i.e. someone with Bracers of Armor wearing Chainmail). Amulet of Natural Armor is just great, adding on armor that doesn't hinder and adds with normal armor. Doesn't Ring of Force Shield just activate a Shield spell? RoP is just basic protection that works for all manners ^^. Maxed ____ of Dex plus an Ioun Stone and a few Manuals of Quickness of Action +5, your REALLY getting near the impossible to hit stage >>;  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:44 pm
Ring of Protection is deflection bonus. And, I think I should make some boots of dexterity hehe. It kind of makes sense, as your balance and stuff are affected by dexterity too...but either way, it's magical, it can be a freaking earring of dexterity and still "make sense". Plus, it is a slot I don't think has an armor item...it might, I don't know. Either way.  

DarkHayama
Crew

Unforgiving Millionaire

15,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Clambake 200

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:43 pm
DJ Ducki
Well the dex bonuses stack in different things but the actual items themselves (Bracers of Armor) basically create that sort of Armor bonus and wouldn't be amplified if there was another form (i.e. someone with Bracers of Armor wearing Chainmail). Amulet of Natural Armor is just great, adding on armor that doesn't hinder and adds with normal armor. Doesn't Ring of Force Shield just activate a Shield spell? RoP is just basic protection that works for all manners ^^. Maxed ____ of Dex plus an Ioun Stone and a few Manuals of Quickness of Action +5, your REALLY getting near the impossible to hit stage >>;

No, impossible to hit is when you get divine ranks.

With Divine Dodge, you simply don't exist for the attack O.O...  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:45 pm
DarkHayama
Ring of Protection is deflection bonus. And, I think I should make some boots of dexterity hehe. It kind of makes sense, as your balance and stuff are affected by dexterity too...but either way, it's magical, it can be a freaking earring of dexterity and still "make sense". Plus, it is a slot I don't think has an armor item...it might, I don't know. Either way.

Best thing to do is find things that stack and buy all of them.  

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Fiver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:14 pm
Most increases to dex stack? So far as I know, there's only two kinds of bonuses that increase dex: Enhancement and Inherent. What is meant by like bonuses not stacking is that for example if you were to be wearing a Belt of Giant Strength +4, then got Bull's Strength cast on you, they would not stack because both give Enhancement Bonuses.

Also, I'm pretty sure gloves and bracers are two difference slots, making it so the Bracers of Armor would get in the way of Bracers of Constitution, but not Gloves of Dexterity.

I know there's one item that gives a bonus to Str, Dex, and Wis, but unfortunately do not remember what book it is in, or how much it costs. I think it was called the Headband of Absolute Perfection or something? Unfortunately sacrificing the slot normally devoted to Int, but oh, well. Nothing's perfect. In the same book is the Belt of Personal Superiority, which boosts Str and Con, solving the Con problem. I think that one might've been bonus squared times 2500, but I'm not absolutely sure. I think it was in Sword and Fist.

Yeah, I've been playing a good eight years, and am known to correct Iomma on the rules. ^^; Though I may not have the details above right (such as the names of the headband and belt) I've got most of the details to the rules themselves perfectly, so if it's in the core books (or Psionics) I've got you covered.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:49 pm
Fiver
Most increases to dex stack? So far as I know, there's only two kinds of bonuses that increase dex: Enhancement and Inherent. What is meant by like bonuses not stacking is that for example if you were to be wearing a Belt of Giant Strength +4, then got Bull's Strength cast on you, they would not stack because both give Enhancement Bonuses.

Also, I'm pretty sure gloves and bracers are two difference slots, making it so the Bracers of Armor would get in the way of Bracers of Constitution, but not Gloves of Dexterity.

I know there's one item that gives a bonus to Str, Dex, and Wis, but unfortunately do not remember what book it is in, or how much it costs. I think it was called the Headband of Absolute Perfection or something? Unfortunately sacrificing the slot normally devoted to Int, but oh, well. Nothing's perfect. In the same book is the Belt of Personal Superiority, which boosts Str and Con, solving the Con problem. I think that one might've been bonus squared times 2500, but I'm not absolutely sure. I think it was in Sword and Fist.

Yeah, I've been playing a good eight years, and am known to correct Iomma on the rules. ^^; Though I may not have the details above right (such as the names of the headband and belt) I've got most of the details to the rules themselves perfectly, so if it's in the core books (or Psionics) I've got you covered.

But then again, I do have a complete undestanding of the rules (now xp ), and can out power you in character creation. We both have our specialities.  

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

DarkHayama
Crew

Unforgiving Millionaire

15,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:02 pm
Fiver

Wow, you're right, gloves and bracers don't take up the same slot. There are actually alot more slots than I realized. I guess NWN just couldn't have all those slots, because your character would be insanly powerful. Hmm...This could make for some fun...  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:09 pm
See? Partner in Crime, and the man who taught me how to play.  

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Fiver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:11 pm
Iomma Sensei
But then again, I do have a complete undestanding of the rules (now xp ), and can out power you in character creation. We both have our specialities.

Like the yin and yang, you bring twinks and power, I make the characters people, and write reality checks. wink  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:19 pm
Fiver
Iomma Sensei

Like the yin and yang, you bring twinks and power, I make the characters people, and write reality checks. wink

Well, the whole story behind Naome and Claire was your idea (basicaly). And she's one powerful cookie. Even though she technically lacks a personality.  

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Fiver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:52 pm
I meant generally speaking. ^_^ For those two, I came up with concept and twink.

Still, they never would have become as deep or complete without you keeping it going. Not to mention that they now have some seriously kick-a** pictures, one of which I have printed out on photo paper, and keep in my desk in my room. ^.^  
The Drunken Dwarf Tavern

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff