Submit

10g and a link or 20?
  wai seinkyu!
View Results

Forgedawn
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:31 pm
(PLEASE POST TO ADD biggrin )

I would love to have some more specific explanations of different KINDS of consonants / vowels / etc for this dictionary biggrin

Conlanger's Dictionary (links are below)
*Please do not be insulted by the simplicity. I want to make sure that everyone is on the same page, and I've always noticed that my elementary school seemed to be the only one in the state that taught basic stuff. So no flames, please biggrin
Alphabet -- System of letters, which can be combined to make sounds
Case --
yourdictionary.com
a. In traditional grammar, a distinct form of a noun, pronoun, or modifier that is used to express one or more particular syntactic relationships to other words in a sentence. b. Case In some varieties of generative grammar, the thematic or semantic role of a noun phrase as represented abstractly but not necessarily indicated overtly in surface structure. In such frameworks, nouns in English have Case even in the absence of inflectional case endings.

Consonant -- A sound which normally can not stand without a vowel, made by blocking the airway (b, t, k, h, etc)
Syllabary -- System of syllables, which are sounds on their own
Verb -- "The part of speech that expresses existence, action, or occurrence in most languages." --yourdictionary.com (that's surprisingly hard to define well)
Vowel -- a sound that can stand alone and is made without blocking the airway, but by merely shaping it (a, i, u, e, o and such)

Links
The Language Construction Kit: A quickstart guide to coming up with conlangs. It helps insure that you don't forget the big stuff, at least.

How *I* do conlangs: My thread here; my kinda-sorta system on how to do a conlang the slightly-lazier-than-zompist way.

The IPA: Wikipedia's page on the Internation Phonetic Alphabet (IPA). Handy if you understand the sounds and want to know how to represent them on your own conlang's page biggrin
IPA for English may be where you want to go if you just want to see sounds English makes wink

Origin of Language: This is the wikipedia page on the linguistic theories of origin of languages. Even if this isn't your thing, if you scroll all the way to the bottom, there are some links to other pages that you may find handy. (Including a link to their conlang page)

Ardalambion: For my fellow Tolkein fanboys.

Font Making Software: The very same that I used for Kintarasesa. Fairly simple to use.

MASSIVE WORDLIST: Like a gazillion words. Yes, English. Holy crap. It's scary!

BASIC WORDLIST: Another wordlist, this one much shorter. It's for someone who wants the essentials to start biggrin

"Essential World English": A conlangified English, sort of. Essentialifies English to kill off some of the "evilness" of our language, which I've taken advantage of many times in this description twisted Also contains a wordlist.

Conlang Wordmaker: I found this link floating about this forum, and added it here in case anyone is desperate enough to use it razz

http://www.langmaker.com : A wiki site with both conlangs and references/links. Pretty cool, I think. Whee, someone posted D&D's Draconic language! Well, most of it's elsewhere, but they link right to it biggrin

7 Distinctive Features of Germanic Languages--How reliable the site is, I dunno, but it was posted in this thread and may be useful to you or may help you track down more information about Germanic languages.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:46 am
Here's a site that has a TON of words. Seriously, check it out.

http://students.washington.edu/mukundn/courses/cse490b/projects/project02/words

45,424 words total, although some are names too. Still, a valuable resource if you're willing to go through the whole thing

Also, you might want to change the title a little so everyone who's around will notice it. I've gone weeks without noticing stickies sweatdrop  

eiei...OMGWTFBBQ

Forgedawn
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:44 am
added a link! biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:08 pm
Added two from another thread.  

Forgedawn
Vice Captain

Rimbaum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:26 am
Ugh... My school taught us all about the parts of English grammar at one time, but most of it seems to have slipped my mind after not being in school for three years. redface

Perhaps definitions or links for your basic, elementary-school grammar definitions would be useful?

I don't agree with calling elementary school "grammar school" because they don't even teach you about grammar there anymore.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:41 pm
Rimbaum
Ugh... My school taught us all about the parts of English grammar at one time, but most of it seems to have slipped my mind after not being in school for three years. redface

Perhaps definitions or links for your basic, elementary-school grammar definitions would be useful?

Agreed. Maybe a link with different possible verb conjugations (like the types that are found in different languages)? That would be awesome.  

Kukushka

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:43 pm
Is the font maker free? (And if not, is there anywhere where I could get a free one? I'm a total cheapscape. sweatdrop whee )  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:08 am
Homurakitsune
Is the font maker free? (And if not, is there anywhere where I could get a free one? I'm a total cheapscape. sweatdrop whee )

From what I could see from the site, no, it is not free, but there is a trail version. Dunno how long that lasts or restrictions.

I too plead for a free font making program.  

Ocarina654

Forgedawn
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:24 pm
Ocarina654
Homurakitsune

From what I could see from the site, no, it is not free, but there is a trail version. Dunno how long that lasts or restrictions.

I too plead for a free font making program.

I used the trial version to make Kintaran font, and you DO get to keep the font after you've made it smile However, certain editing thingies are restricted, so... yeah. Hopefully there are others out there, but I haven't found any. Haven't looked recently, though. Who knows?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:55 pm
So I read somewhere that English can produce forty sounds. I've wanted to make a language that uses phoenetic script, and I need to know if this is correct before I begin creating a script for my language. Does anyone know where I can determine this?  

Tarkanos

Ultramarine Violet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:00 pm
Tarkanos
So I read somewhere that English can produce forty sounds. I've wanted to make a language that uses phoenetic script, and I need to know if this is correct before I begin creating a script for my language. Does anyone know where I can determine this?
This does not contain actual enumeration, and honestly makes my eyes go all jangly, but may point the way to your answer:

[link]  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:12 pm
Ultramarine Violet
Tarkanos
This does not contain actual enumeration, and honestly makes my eyes go all jangly, but may point the way to your answer:

[link]

eek eek Ouch. Wish I could just find a compiled list of sounds. I'm trying to make a language based on frontal sounds.  

Tarkanos

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:15 pm
I can't remember that link... but that one other conlang guild (run by Relonwinya (or something like that). Because it''s public, I took advantage of it's helpness.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:43 am
For those of us who are thinking of making a language meant to resemble or fit in with other languages of Germanic descent, this list of disctinctive features might be useful.  

Rimbaum

Mt Oceans

Shirtless Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:40 pm
Awkwords - Word Generator

The Constructed Languages Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items