Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Thanks
  for coming to my thread!
View Results

marinazzle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:05 pm
It happens all the time. People just say something mean about Christianity. I feel so angry inside but I try to hold it in. For example, I remember how last night, we had some guests over, and we were talking about Jerusalem and the Holy Fire, (I forgot exactly what it's called.) So, Christians can touch this fire and it won't burn them, and I've even seen a movie of it. So, the guest asked my mom, "And you believe in this crap?" I felt so horrible, especially when Mom said no. [She's not very religious.] The guest was like, "I hate it when people make such lame lies and tricks." I was SO offended. But I wasn't brave enough to say anything. And I feel ashamed. Even if I wasn't Christian, I would still feel just as terrible because she acted so anti-semetic. People have the right to believe in what they want. How should I act if this happens again? Do you encounter this too? I think it's a good subject to discuss.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:35 pm
Quote:
People have the right to believe in what they want

Yes, they do. Other people, however, hold the right to refute said beliefs. You see, freedom of speech goes both ways.  

ioioouiouiouio

LittlePinky82

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:17 pm
That's not anti-semitic. That's just not believing in something. I believe in things people I know don't believe and vice versa. That's the thing with freewill that God blessed us with. For us to be free thinkers and to choose what we want to believe in or nothing at all. Next time you feel offended you should just tell someone that it's what you believe in and if they don't believe in it that's fine but they shouldn't insult you personally. Ask them why they don't believe it's possible. Have a discussion and just talk with them and hear them out and hopefully they're hear you out too. But yes in this country we do have the first amendment. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:25 am
Cometh The Inquisitor
Quote:
People have the right to believe in what they want

Yes, they do. Other people, however, hold the right to refute said beliefs. You see, freedom of speech goes both ways.

we also hold the right to insult...that doesnt justify it being right though. theres a difference between insulting and stating your beliefs.

the guest stated her belief in an insulting way.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

marinazzle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:32 pm
Yeah. I mean, calling Christianity "crap" really insulted me.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:40 am
The same thing happened to me once. I didn't have enough courage to stand up at the time, but the next day I walked up to the person (A real good frined of mine) and told them off. I just said, "If you can't respect something that others believe in then I can't very well respect you, think about it, it seems so unreal and yet theres a whole big book about it. Many things in this world are out of preportion, we just need to think of what is right for us. Whats right for me and my family may not be as right to you and your friends.". Then she just turned around and walked off, we haven't spoken since, but I learned a lesson that day, if you really believe in something, stand up for it.

Calling anything crap, especailly Christianity, seems a little harsh.  

Mintie_Mitsuki

Arrea Delano

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:32 am
There are those who believe in God and then there are the others who believe in something else. The two often collide at times, but it's ashame that most of them are unnessessary. Your guest made a very inappropriate remark and I believe he was wrong for it. Christans don't go around and talk to other people with difference religious beliefs and say, "Do you believe this crap?" It's just not right to insult a fellow human being about such things, we are all equal, and should treat each other with respect, no matter how wrong certain people are.

It's okay to be afraid to speak up and say something to defend yourself, it takes time, and alot of courage that you have to build up as you go deeper into a relationship with God. No one here faults you for it. I can't speak for everyone, but if I had to guess, we have all been in similar situations before, and probably not have spoken up everytime. I understand anyway, I have friends that are Wicca and it's hard to speak up sometimes because our beliefs are so different, but the last time I did, they respected my opinions and agreed to stop smashing the name of Christ around me. Your courage will be rewarded most of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:01 pm
Mintie_Mitsuki
The same thing happened to me once. I didn't have enough courage to stand up at the time, but the next day I walked up to the person (A real good frined of mine) and told them off. I just said, "If you can't respect something that others believe in then I can't very well respect you, think about it, it seems so unreal and yet theres a whole big book about it. Many things in this world are out of preportion, we just need to think of what is right for us. Whats right for me and my family may not be as right to you and your friends.". Then she just turned around and walked off, we haven't spoken since, but I learned a lesson that day, if you really believe in something, stand up for it.

Calling anything crap, especailly Christianity, seems a little harsh.

They still can call it crap if they want to. I know people who do respect what Jesus says but they don't like organized religion and don't want anything to do with it. So if someone thinks a religion is crap that's their right and vice versa. You can just respectfully disagree. Just keep in mind it's your faith and nobody can take that way from you and you can't take their's away from them either.  

LittlePinky82

Atarashi No Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:05 pm
It says in the Bible that as Christians, we will always be persecuted. But we won't look for a reward for sharing God's word here on earth. It will all be in Heaven.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:55 pm
marinazzle
It happens all the time. People just say something mean about Christianity. I feel so angry inside but I try to hold it in. For example, I remember how last night, we had some guests over, and we were talking about Jerusalem and the Holy Fire, (I forgot exactly what it's called.) So, Christians can touch this fire and it won't burn them, and I've even seen a movie of it. So, the guest asked my mom, "And you believe in this crap?" I felt so horrible, especially when Mom said no. [She's not very religious.] The guest was like, "I hate it when people make such lame lies and tricks." I was SO offended. But I wasn't brave enough to say anything. And I feel ashamed. Even if I wasn't Christian, I would still feel just as terrible because she acted so anti-semetic. People have the right to believe in what they want. How should I act if this happens again? Do you encounter this too? I think it's a good subject to discuss.

Holy Fire...? Yeah, i think that guy was pretty much on the spot with his judgement.  

zz1000zz

Ginger Snapple

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:11 am
I think you should say something next time. I really can understand being afraid to stand up for yourself and what you believe. But at the same time, if you dont who is going to? You shouldnt attack her but you could ask her why she believes otherwise. What posses her to think this couldnt possibly be true?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:30 pm
I've sometimes felt the same way, but it wasn't over a particular situation, I don't think. In my history class this past year the teacher, who was atheist, kept saying stuff like "And so-and-so was a deist (sp?) which is MUCH more logical than Christianity because it leaves out all of that mysticism and miracles" adn her tone of voice made it show that she really didn't like the idea of Christianity. She also said "Well times change and ideas have to as well, you can't keep clinging to those beliefs of the past because they don't matter anymore" right after we had a discussion on the enlightenment and religious history. She also said that "These people succeeded because they didn't send over Christian missionaries and try to convert those people and change their culture." My dad just said it was nonsence, but it still made me mad because I felt like I couldn't do anything because she'd take it out on my grades. sad  

AnimeMonkey

7,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200

Heaven Edge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:59 am
People offend christianity cause they do not like God, don't believe him and/or don't fear him! It's sad really... sweatdrop But God still has mercy for the ones who want it! heart  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games