Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SilverLutz
Crew

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:44 pm
User Image Pale eyes tracked the movement of a dandelion fuzz that danced through the air on the light breeze blowing through the pride. It wasn't nearly as interesting as the wisps had been, but Ruaka wasn't about to go poking around to see if she could find any. While others had shied away from the whispers and the floating lights, the young lioness hadn't minded the company of the ancestors that had come to visit even if some of them had been a bit malicious in their games.

The fuzz landed a few paces away from Ruaka's paws and she moved forward, giving it a little bump with her toes. It skittered along the ground but caught in some grass just as it went to lift off again, so she lowered her head to give it a gentle push with a puff of warm air. It rose into the sky once more and she sat, watching it dance away, higher and higher.

Curling her tail around her paws, Ruaka closed her eyes for a moment and took a deep breath. While the wisps had been strange and interesting, they had brought unrest to her pride. She was glad that they seemed to have settled a bit in recent days, though the leaders were still looking for ways to appease the restless spirits. Although she was young and in no position to say anything, Ruaka couldn't help but wonder if perhaps just sitting still and listening was all they wanted. They had been dead for so long, maybe they just wanted some company.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:08 pm
User Image
It seemed like, around here, every time there seemed to be a pause in the (often unwelcome) excitement that ran rampant through the N'ezi-ozu lands, there was something new to fill its place just over the horizon. The strange happenings that came out of the catacombs were no exception.

Nchekwube sighed. Every sound that seemed to come out of him recently sounded tired. Sounded like it came from a lion that had seen many, many more moons that the young Amusu had.

The sandy lion had wandered away from where he thought he might cross paths with his pridemates. A bit of him felt guilty for it--Nchekwube valued the company of all of his brethren. But still... A bit of time to collect his own thoughts would have been welcome.

And yet.

There was a pause in his step as he saw the white figure. At first he thought the pale adolescent to be one of Kione and Afya's children. As he saw the colorful feathers that adorned the youth, though, a smile of recognition grew on his face.

"Ruaka," he called, making his way towards her. "Hope I'm not interrupting your peace and quiet."

SilverLutz

oo Ded

Lonely Phantom

SilverLutz
Crew

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:00 pm
A noise caught Ruaka's attention, although the only indication that she had heard anything was one ear twisting back to hone in on the sound. It wasn't until she heard her name being called that she opened her eyes and glanced over to see Nchekwube heading her way, his 'worry' unfounded. Although she enjoyed occasional solitude as much as the next lion, she much preferred to be around others. She was curious by nature and it was hard to ask questions and learn new things when you were alone, after all.

"Hardly," she said as she stood, turning to face the young Amusu. They weren't terribly separated by age but the sandy lion already had his full mane whereas Ruaka still had a little growing to do. She bobbed her head in greeting as he drew closer, pale eyes warm with a touch of the smile that was on her face.

"Finally getting a break?" she asked, knowing how much work Nchekwube had put in when the influx of joining rogues had needed to have their families decided. She didn't envy him for his talent as it seemed quite exhausting, but she did admire that he was willing to share his skill with the pride. If she had some power like that she wasn't sure she'd be able to handle the constant questions, pressure, and attention.

"You certainly deserve one."

oo DeD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:15 pm
The edge of his mouth quirked to one side and he sent a look off into the distance, back towards the catacombs. The lights had become more prominent throughout the pride these last few nights, and the reports of disembodied whispers were growing in number.

"A break of sorts, I suppose." He shrugged, sitting a few paces away from the young lioness. "What about you? Your family is doing well, I hope?" Though there were undoubtedly some xenophobic members of the pride, the initial uneasiness as the arrival of Ruaka's rogue mother seemed to have lulled a bit. She and her cubs were proper members, now. With proper ties to the pride.

The young Ruaka especially so.

Nchekwube turned his eyes back to her, looking at her with an almost studying gaze. The first time he had seen her, he was probably a bit younger than she was now. His abilities had just manifested, and it was a confusing time for him, but he was certain that he had seen something within her…

"So," he started again after a quiet pause. "I've been meaning to as your opinion on all of…" he gave a vague wave of the paw, "this. The lights, the voices. What do you think the ancestors are thinking?"

SilverLutz

oo Ded

Lonely Phantom

SilverLutz
Crew

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:29 pm
Ruaka nodded slightly in agreement - if it wasn't one thing it was another, it seemed. The arrival of her mother had heralded quite the shake-up for the pride and things had continued shaking ever since. She hoped it would settle for the sake of everyone's sanity, but now these floating wisps were causing trouble. Only the ancestors knew what came next.

"Oh yes, quite well," she said with another nod, this one a bit more enthused. Although Imani had sent an unpleasant ripple through the pride at first, one joining rogue in a sea of many was no longer such a big deal. They were no longer strange or unusual... sort of. Most of the pride knew them on sight still, but at least she and her family weren't bright orange or covered in strange markings like some of those that had joined recently. It allowed them to blend in with the others a bit more.

The question made her c**k her head to the side, the curiosity that kept her always asking questions piqued. She gave a thoughtful hum but remained silent for a moment, unsure if her thoughts would be welcome or not. Nchekwube was an Amusu, after all, and had a very powerful gift. She was a young lioness from a former rogue. In her eyes, her opinion didn't matter much. But he had asked and she was never one to turn down a question seeing she asked so many herself.

"Everyone is scared of them or seems nervous that they're here," she said, glancing down at her paws as she let one scuff at the slightly dead grass beneath her toes. "If I were a wisp I wouldn't want my family to be scared of me. Maybe they've just come to visit us in a way that we can understand. I've been...um. Listening. They don't seem to be able to say words, at least none that I can understand, but I thought it might be nice to at least attempt to hear them out."

She glanced up a bit shyly, knowing that her reaction wasn't the norm for the majority of the pride.

"And none of them have been trying to coax me away from the pride or anything malicious like that. They like to settle around my paws and on my head when I hold still long enough."

oo DeD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:58 pm
Nchekwube smiled and nodded approvingly at the enthusiastic way in which Ruaka reported on her family's well-being. He listened to her speak, his ears perked and his posture attentive. As the young lioness gave her thoughts, Nche responded with a thoughtful hum and looked around thoughtfully.

"You're right that everyone seems a bit nervous. Many seem concerned that the ancestors are unhappy at something which makes them worried. Though I suppose you're right that they haven't been hurting anyone. Perhaps the least we can do is hear them out, hm? Assuming the rumors are true that the lights and voices are heralds of the ancestors, that is. And given their… nature," he shot a pointed look in the direction of the catacombs, "I'd venture a guess to say there's some truth to the matter."

He looked back to her, then. "That being said, it seems like the ancestors have taken a liking to you, hm? Or at least, they enjoy being in your company." As if they were in the company of an old friend, he mused. His head tilted to the side. "Any idea why that may be?"

A bit of a pointed question, perhaps. Nchekwube was just… curious about something. And maybe he was just looking for confirmation.
SilverLutz

oo Ded

Lonely Phantom

SilverLutz
Crew

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:07 pm
Unhappy ancestors certainly did make for a worrying thought, but Ruaka couldn't help but wonder why they'd manifest in such a gentle way if they were upset. Soft, floating lights didn't exactly set off any alarms in her mind, but she wasn't one of the leaders and surely they knew best. Nchekwube hadn't scolded her for her thoughts, though, which allowed her to relax a bit. Some of the older Amusu would have surely told her off for thinking the spirits of those that had passed on were just stopping in for a visit.

The question made her shake her head slightly. "The only thing I can think of is that I'm not running away from them or flinching if they come close, which is why I think they're not necessarily unhappy," she said. "Maybe they're just lonely or glad to see their families again. I don't want to hurt their feelings further by doing the same." Perhaps word had gotten around in the wisp world that the pale lioness was someone who would tolerate their presence. She honestly wasn't sure.

"I know if I were a wispy ancestor I'd be pretty upset if my family turned away from me," Ruaka added quietly, casting her gaze to the ground, a heavy weight settling in her chest at the mere thought. To think of her mother or brothers being scared of her... it wasn't something she liked to think about. It almost felt too real to even consider for a moment.

oo DeD

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:16 pm
"That's thoughtful of you," Nchekwube murmured with a nod of the head, "and wise. A lot of the paranoid older generation could do well adopting your mindset, I think." He spoke with a quirked smile and a wry laugh. He believed it, too. Ruaka seemed humble and wise, far moreso than any adolescent he had ever known (certainly more than even Nchekwube himself, when he was her age). Perhaps more than she had any right to be.

He thought back to when he had first seen Ruaka and her siblings. When his ability was first manifesting. Nchekwube had delighted to see new life in the pride. They brought outside blood, and with it they brought such promise. He had looked into each of their eyes. They were so small, and their true natures had been so pure. And then he had looked into Ruaka's eyes and he had seen something different. Something that seemed to shine through her even now. Something wise. And something old.

"Has anyone told you the stories of the old Chieftains?" The Amusu started again, seemingly changing the topic of conversation completely. "Of the old trials, and the old Akaraaka lineage?"
SilverLutz

oo Ded

Lonely Phantom

SilverLutz
Crew

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:03 pm
Ruaka gave a little shrug of her shoulders, not wanting to completely agree with Nchekwube if only because she didn't wish to insult those that were from elder generations. They had their beliefs and they were in charge, for the most part, and while she did think that some of them were coming kicking and screaming into this new-minded 'era', so to speak, she didn't blame them. They had grown up much differently than she was.

But she was glad for the young Amusu, that much was for sure. To know someone in a position of power shared her thoughts - or at least found them worthy to listen to - made her mild anxiety about speaking up about them settle. Perhaps now she'd say what was on her mind more often.

The question surprised her and she glanced up at Nchekwube, startled by the change of topic. Her mind went to work trying to pick through the various stories she'd been told as a young cub.

"Ah... a bit," Ruaka confirmed, bobbing her head in a little nod. "The name is familiar but I can't put a paw on why. Were they a particularly famous line?" She knew there were some families that traced back for generations that had survive the plague, but there were also other short-lived lines that did great things in their time in the land of the living.

oo DeD

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:24 pm
The lion nodded. His eyes followed a glowing wisp that had come into view a little ways away, watching as it bobbed along. "They are the family of the Onyeisi. Of all the Onyeisi. They descend from the original king of the N'ezi-ozu, chosen by Death to lead us. When he passes, his sons undergo the Trials of the King to determine who will become the new Onyeisi, as Itiri and Owu have done only recently. In the past…"

Nchekwube's voice trailed off then, as the glowing wisp he was watching flickered out of view. A thoughtful smile crept onto his face and he looked back at her. "Actually, there may be a better place for me to tell you this story. It's rather…" his eyes furrowed a touch, "well. There are some things I'd like to discuss with you, Ruaka." He turned, then, looking in the direction of the bulk of the pride. Towards the family shrines. "Why don't we take a walk?"

[fade to black. end pt. 1]

SilverLutz

oo Ded

Lonely Phantom

[IC] N'ezi-ozu Lands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out