"A boat! A western style boat! Ahh, it's such a pity it's not moving..."

Toki leans over the railing, dangling dangerously over the water.

"HEEEY! HELLO, HUMANS! Goodness. It's so crowded here. I was not aware humans still had medieval towns. Ooh, a castle!"

She waves her camera around. Lights on the boat flash. Lamps swing wildly. Back on land, parents who have noticed these occurrences quickly begin herding their children away from the dock.

-----

Anepou slowly emerged from the portal, making his way carefully across the wooden deck of the old, abandoned boat. He stared, startled, to realize that for all that it was abandoned, it was in the middle of a VERY CROWDED Human Place. He looked around, taking in the details, trying to figure out what was going on. There were strange, sweet scents on the air, and maybe a hint of something else that he couldn't identify, but which lingered in his nostrils.

Then he heard a familiar voice, and he turned, curiously... And proceeded to stare at Toki's actions, his brows lifted. Finally he moved to her side, and carefully put his hand on her collar, so that if she started to fall, he could grab her and haul her back. Something splashing into the water off the boat might mean Humans coming to investigate, and that might mark the end of their little visit to this strange place.

"Toki, what are you doing?"

-----

"Oh my, Anepou! Is this not a fantastic human village?"

She cranes her head back, notices the safety grip, and promptly hauls herself up and onto the railing.

"Look! I have seen this in a human movie. Humans like to do this on boats. They say something...what was it... oh yes! 'I'm flying, Jack'! Haha. Humans are so strange. Wait, what are they wearing on their heads? Are those fake ears? That is so cute. I must get one--oh, look, a tiny human! Helloooo!"

She leans over, waving, and a large metal lantern suddenly flares to life. Below her, a baby stares up with huge saucer eyes, and looks thoroughly prepared to cry.

-----

"Is it a village? I swear, there seem to be FAR more people here then this village could contain after they go to bed... And shouldn't those human children BE in bed? It's quite late for Humans, I thought." He wasn't sure, mind, but he had somehow gotten the impression that human children went to bed when it got dark.

When she climbed up into the rail, he had to control the urge to haul the tiny girl back, his ears folded against his head with his worry. He watched her, though, baffled. "Who is Jack and why would someone say they were flying? Did they have wings and used the end of the boat to take off from?" He clearly had never seen a human movie, let alone that one, and was being a little too literal. "I thought humans couldn't fly without powerful machines?"

He glanced at the ears she was talking about, and his brows lifted. "I do not think I need one, I have my own naturally." He flicked his jackal ears, amused, then continued "But how do you plan to keep them? Human artifacts don't last long at home.... Oh!"

He looked at the baby, and then at Toki with concern. "It looks ready to cry... My sister used to do that right before she cried. If that baby is anything like her, I suggest we back away now... Because babies are painfully loud." Did the baby somehow see them? Humans weren't supposed to be able to see them!

-----

"Perhaps this is a modern village! I quite like their aesthetic. Someday I will loan you my human movie collection, Anepou. It is very entertaining. Now, how can I..."

Toki finally gets off the railing, looks around, and grabs a rather dusty barge pole. Slowly, oh-so-slowly, she reaches down with it, snags a shopping bag foolishly left unattended, and immediately yanks it back up. The baby, who has just witnessed a floating barge pole reach down and single-handedly commit petty theft, bursts into hysterical tears.

"Yeeeeeees! Victory! I am sure humans will be able to get more where that came from. Oh my. That baby is indeed very loud. Let's go to the top deck and see what's in this bag! We can return it later," She says, cheerfully, with no intention of returning anything (finders keepers).

-----

Anepou blinked a little, and said "Well perhaps. I just don't know they'd fit all of these people in, even if it's modern. Still! It is a very fascinating place. I am glad to find it here, because it is interesting to see." He just nodded at the suggestion regarding the movie collection, not sure what to say about it, but not up for arguing.

He watched her commit the theft, his eyes wide with disbelief. Goodness gracious, this was strange indeed, very irregular. He had a feeling most of what he had just seen was against all of the rules but at the same time, he had no intention of reporting Toki, because she was his friend, even if she was doing things that might cause trouble.

He retreated to the top deck at Toki's suggestion and settled in. When she joined him, he fished about in it, curiously, because might as well be hung for a horse as an apple, and pulled out a headband with Goofy Ears and hat. He had no idea what it meant, but he stared, then put it on.

-----

"Oh, haha, look at you! You have so many ears. I shall wear one as well."

She grabs a rather boring-looking pair of mouse ears and wedges them over her antlers. Nature will not hold her back from questionable fashion choices today.

"These are so odd. Hmm. They do not seem to aid one's hearing in any way. Still, they are very cute--"

Whatever she's about to say is drowned out by incredibly loud popping sounds, and the sky is suddenly lit up.

"OOOOH! Fireworks! It's been so long since I've seen these! Come! Quick! Take a photo! Quick!"

User Image