[SRP] Backstory (Etienne Donato)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:53 pm
This is just a thread covering some of Etienne Donato's backstory before he came to Soquili. Please do not post here unless you have been invited.
Thank you!

User Image

(Teepee Here)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:05 pm
For all that he abhorred the methods and the purpose behind them, it was difficult to argue with the results. The First Herd was a powerhouse, a true force of strength and might in the midst of their homeland. Every place that the advance bands traveled to bowed before their will; before the strength, the sheer force of gifts and abilities held within.

Each day the first son, whom argued for Peace and contentment with the territory they had already conquered, spoke up again and was disregarded. As a strategist, Etienne wondered at the effectiveness of their leader’s plan and the rationale behind his goals. This was to say nothing of the ethics of the matter, of course. There was little doubt of his impatience. The many fights held with his second son would too attest to this. Still, for all his shortcomings and overreactions, he was still their leader.

Even his sons would not change this. At least, not yet.

Still, after today, their Leader was no longer the one Etienne felt a sense of loyalty to. Very well then, it was time to speak directly with the Envoy. It was time to introduce himself to Ballad.

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:07 pm
It was no surprise to Etienne to confirm that the first son had a good head on his shoulders. A calm attitude and a keen mind were also pleasantly present. Though brief, their meeting had been insightful; though it did raise questions as to how Ballad had stood his sire’s rule for so long. Then again, stranger things had been done for the love of family. At odds or not, the Faythren were a powerful, gifted family. Only time would tell as to how those gifts might evolve and the powers shift. Still, Etienne was content for now, he had found a fit leader and a true friend.

If it meant leaving behind the herd for now, then so be it.

Total Wordcount: 320  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:23 pm
Several moon turnings had passed since Ballad's departure, though life in The First Herd continued on much the same without him present. Etienne Donato paced through a quiet grove, well away from the War Herd. He wanted to be alone with his thoughts, such as they were. Matters had seemed clearer with Ballad present, though the Prince's departure had seemed to make no immediate difference in the herd. The Loyalists still shifted restlessly, reluctant to leave but uncomfortable staying. Etienne couldn't judge them, after all he was one of their number.

"It seems a waste, to continue on this path..." Etienne murmured, mostly to himself without the First Prince to council. "Then again, if Peace has given up and Balance cannot dissuade Ambition, I fail to see how any of us might make a difference."

The movement of The First Herd was somewhat predictable, at least to the Angeni of Strategy. Granted, with strength and might being what it was, they hardly needed to be clever about what was conquered. Shadows ran at the lead, with Light left behind at one of the Strongholds. Ambition was never far from the Front Line, though he ran shy of War due to their feuding temperaments and constant unrest. With Strategy and Intention in the ranks, and many skilled warriors besides, it was becoming rarer still that any would stand against them.

The Herd itself swept from open country to Herd Territories, threatening with might or overwhelming with strength when those would not join peaceably. More and more recently they were prompt to join in, eager to rage war on herds that once stood against them and complacent to fall beneath the lead of another if it would get them there.

All in all, The First Herd was a power to be reckoned with. Had become a force, of change that swept over the landscape and altered all in its path. Territories reshaped per its whims, the landscape shattered and reformed with its fury. Herds broke apart and reformed, their former major powers swept along in the wake of The First. With each step The First grew in strength, in lore and legend. The trouble with it was, seemingly there was no end in sight.

Etienne could no longer abide by the goals of the leader, could not stomach the seemingly endless battles that the he sought. Strategy could get no rest when face to face with Ambition. The loss of the First Prince had thoroughly altered the structure of power, and virtually shattered the previous balance the herd had been able to boast. Even the Lead Mare couldn’t stabilize things, as they stood.

Dusk found the stallion standing on a bluff and looking down at the sprawling camp. The soldiers and healers of The First Herd bedding down around low-burning fires as Etienne shifted on his hooves. He knew what he needed to do, he just, wasn’t sure if he could… How he could.

“I’m going to have to leave…” He admitted to the night wind, flicking his tail in annoyance.

Total Etienne Wordcount: 509  

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:48 pm
Quote:
There was not a moment of hesitation when given his marching orders. Time and time again the purple stallion used his angelic feathers to carry him just within close enough range to gather what intel he could on their foes. It was a common routine that had developed: he would take whatever his hero Etienne said to heart, memorize exactly what was issued by him, then off into the field, doing his best to remain unseen as he needed only to gage what was intended. Not every battle could be won, but it did not deter the scout in his goal of serving the Herd and Etienne.

He had gone out to clear his mind of his latest mission, a necessary action after every intention reading. Imagine his surprise as he sought out his direct commander to see he was not where he ought to have been. "Huh?" He would quickly take to the skies, and fly as high as he could to gain a better view of the area. To the distance did he spot Etienne and at first he flew with a joyous smile to greet. However, the closer he came, the more the intention of this stallion read clear. It was a dark as the night around them seem to grow.

Such dark intentions would usually drive Callisthenes away, but there was a stronger driving force than worries over the stormy future that was possibly ahead. What pushed his wings towards the stallion was one of the single truths he knew for a fact: Etienne was his friend and he may need company. He would land on the edge of the bluff's beginning and call out, "Sir? Are there situations that have come to haunt you?" He was trying to stay formal but it was failing in his state of concern.

Quote:
In an effort to express some of his energy, restless and unsettled as he was, Etienne snapped his tail in ire and began a stiff pacing stride. Weaving back and forth from the bluff's edge to back a decent distance, he kept his strides short and measured, not quite devolving to the choppy clip that would proceed a canter or a leap from the bluff's edge. He'd no doubt take wing shortly, but for the moment his fury kept him earthbound.

The flutter of approaching wings gave him pause, made him flick an ear and cant his head skyward. Down from the scattering of stars and wisp of clouds spiraled one of the better soldiers he could give name to, for Callisthenes had always been clever and loyal and level-headed. A good soldier, with good intentions, not deserving of Ambition's fury or a War lord's ire.

Turning to greet the arrival with a faint smile and a bow of his head, Etienne flared his wings in a greeting and then folded them smoothly to his back.

"Good eve, Callisthenes. And please, Etienne, none of that sir nonsense. We are comrads, you and I, and I would call you friend." He smiled slightly wider, rueful in his humor. "I apologize if my dour thoughts have cast a shadow over your own revelry. I assure you it wasn't my intention, which is why I isolated myself up here while I took the time to mull things over. But what of you? Shouldn't you be celebrating a successful campaign? I think Ambition is even pleased with this most recent victory, though it's not likely to sate him for long."

Quote:
"Good evening to you as well." The greeting brought a smile to the purple hued soldier. "Please, Callis is fine for me as well, Etienne. We are friends after all." He would stop a little short and smile. "Well I can't celebrate without you there! The victory would never be possible without your guidance." He gave a small bow of his head in respect to him.

"I understand your intent, Etienne, but I do not understand that expression you were making. Why are you here and not with us in celebrations? Has something been bothering you lately with our missions?" While he himself felt them to be a little more frequent than he liked, Callisthenes had faith in those whom he swore loyalty to. He had total trust that Etienne and the high command knew best of why there was such a consistency of strife.

Log featuring Leena's Callisthenes. Wordcount: 449  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:16 pm
Quote:
Callisthenes was good soldier, and a good friend.

“Callis then, for your friendship is certainly valuable to me and I’d not let a thing like formality jeopardize it.” Etienne replied pleasantly, offering a smile as he folded his wings to his back and ceased his pacing for the moment. “Of course you can celebrate without me! The battle was one as much by you as any of our soldiers, and so then the victory is just as much yours as theirs. That means an equal share in the celebrating, or even a larger share, if you take on mine as your responsibility.”

Drifting toward the bluff’s edge to view the gathering below, Etienne swept his eyes over the reveling forces for a moment before turning back to the indigo stallion. He gave Callis a smile and returned the bow of his head. “I think you overestimate my participation in matters, but I thank you kindly for the sentiment. As for why I am not celebrating, I was just contemplating the necessity of the maneuvers we’ve been asked to execute, as of late.”

Saying they were ‘asked’ was somewhat inaccurate, but it was the most polite way to speak of the matter. It was also the least likely to get him in trouble should they be overheard, though it was likely that Ambition was elsewhere. As he rarely displayed an inclination to walk amongst his warriors, Etienne didn’t imagine they’d see him any time soon. Well, unless he decided on their next progression stage, and wanted to send them to the next field of battle.

“I find myself doing that more and more frequently, I admit.” Etienne murmured. “With the loss of our Crown Prince, and Light departing… Shadow and War go where Ambition leads, and at the moment he shows no sign of slowing. The Herd grows in strength and power and reputation, but I find I grow weary of the unending fighting. I question the choices, and I guess I was just hoping some time alone may clear my conscience.”

Etienne Wordcount: 341  

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

Open/Private Canon IC RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas