Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:12 pm
But I believe it will be well worth it.

With the help of my boyfriend and one of my professors, I am going to pursue a research project idea I've been churning around in my head for years. It will be the hardest thing I've ever done, because it will require so much high-level programming that I don't yet know, but I'm sure I'll make it work out. If we succeed, our creation might just have an impact on the future of artificial intelligence. And even if we don't, we'll have learned a lot in the process, and at least I can say I tried.

My project involves machine creativity -- developing a method for a robot to write and play music of its own origin. This idea has a lot of personal significance to me, because music has been such an integral part of my life all along, and this very project concept was one of the biggest factors that made me realize I didn't belong in mechanical engineering, but in computer engineering. I have five semesters to breathe life into this idea and see if a machine CAN be creative, and to hear what that strange new creativity may sound like...

My family and RL friends don't yet know I'm about to do this, but I know they'll be just as excited as I am when they find out. I want this to succeed so much that it almost hurts.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:57 am
are you going to be looking into some of the robotics that paint pictures and such, that seems like a good basis for the ideas.

AI and machine thinking is pretty cool.

I find the programming doesn't change much from the basics, but the computer theory behind AI is key.  

cool4

Buggy Glitch

wolf_with_a_dragon

Fallen Avenger

8,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:05 am
That would be badass. You could be inventing the future of music with this project.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:57 pm
Just announced it on Facebook. Family is going apeshit, as anticipated. xd

I can tell when dad gets really excited about something I post, because he shares it and then 'Like's his own share post. It's kinda funny, actually. lol  

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

wellwisher
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:36 am
You may want to look into this a little. The idea being that the more information it has to work with, the more likely that it's "creativity" will produce something that a human might.

It shares a few of the same concepts. using card generation instead of music or paint. It's running along the same vein of giving a program information but letting the program try and decipher things in order to create it's own.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:19 pm
That sounds pretty neat.  

Vikabro

Fashionable Cat

12,140 Points
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Prof. Moonie
Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points