Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Irish Night Fox
Crew

Chatty Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:13 am
User Image
It had been awhile since Cocoa Eclair had sworn herself to the tree and gained some new, 'interesting' powers. It hadn't been as special as she had dreamed it would be. Her powers were awesome, don't get her wrong, but she had just expected it all to be a bigger deal. Her dad was just always so distracted with her mom gone, so distracted in fact she was trying to figure this power stuff out on her own- well on her own other than this pesky light that tried to announce it was her mellon and it was there to help? She'd ignored it for the most part, isolating herself once again.

Yet this time isolation wasn't helping. She was becoming more and more frustrated by the things she was learning. Wood bent to her will, but never into what she imagined. She could see what she wanted, but it never turned out just right. She'd given up on it for a bit, had it not been for a particular trip to the tree. She was making those more frequently now in some attempt to find distraction from her home life, but this time she'd heard of a name that might be able to help her.

How could she ask it though? She didn't know this Takis guy or even life at the Tree. Sure, her father had brought her there many times when she was young and developed a love for it within her, but she'd never spent enough time there to understand how one went about becoming a resident. But maybe that's just what she needed, new surroundings for her to learn from. Either way, it was a huge step she was taking and one she wasn't fully sure about.

She'd managed enough courage to ask around for Takis and was sent to where she assumed his workshop would be. She hesitated at the door, shifting from hoof to hoof. Just because she spoke to him didn't mean he'd take her on as an apprentice. It also didn't mean she had to take the position if he did offer it. Maybe her powers wouldn't develop far enough for her to be any use to him, maybe she'd just be a burden. He could turn her away and she'd be back to where she started... was that a bad thing or a good thing?

She didn't know how to even begin to handle her feelings about it so she just knocked on the door and hoped. If this went anywhere she could deal with it then, if it didn't she wouldn't be losing out on anything she didn't have at the start. There was a tiny part of her, though, that did hold out for hope. She really needed something other than what life had given her so far... An apprentice position, being useful to someone, might be what she was looking for.

Once her knock sounded she realized this was it. She held her breath waiting for him to answer... if he was even there!

Menelie
Thought I would include her power with this so you can see why she's seeking an apprenticeship with him smile

Mind Carvings: This power is a merge of her father's natural connection to the earth and her mother's ability to create sweet treats with just a touch. For Cocoa she has to imagine an object and with a touch to a wooden object it will take the shape of the image in her mind. The draw back is she has to fully form the image in her mind in order for the wood to take it. This means starting out she will have to start with smaller objects and grow into her focus and power as she practices. The hope is she will be able to then hold larger images in her mind or work with larger amounts of wood.
Example: She has to concentrate on the image of a carving she wants to do or a tool. Once she has it in her mind, she touches the wood piece she has and it forms into that. If she misses a detail the object either wont take or will come out completely messed up. It has to be perfect!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:26 am
User Image
Takis looked up from his work. Had that been a knock on his door? He glanced behind him at the door itself. No one came to see him down here. A brief glimmer of hope shone in him, that maybe it was Vanya come to whisk him away for an adventure, but it quickly died out. Nothing was playful or adventurous between them anymore. He turned back to his project, convinced he'd imagined the noise.

But eventually his curiosity got the better of him.

Timidly he set his tools down and stepped over to the door, his hooves making a soft clop-clop as he did. He opened the door and peeked outside, and then tried (mostly successfully) to hide an eyebrows-raised expression of surprise to see a young woman standing outside his door.

Takis coughed and straightened up. "Can I help you?" he asked. The girl was barely more than a child, it appeared. And he was sure he'd never seen her before, although he did spend most of his time down here and not socializing. Perhaps he knew her parents. Her brown skin and hair could have come from anyone. Those multicolored freckles were certainly distinctive, though. He didn't recognize them. Her hooves--ah, one of the Faunies, then. He hadn't spoken much with any of them. Not on purpose, of course. He hadn't spoken much with anyone lately, really...

But there was something else strange about this youth, and before he could put his finger on what it was he realized he was vaguely staring. He cleared his throat and tried to lean casually on the doorway.

Irish Night Fox

Menelie

Toothsome Fairy

14,725 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Irish Night Fox
Crew

Chatty Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:50 am
What was taking so long? Was he not there?

Cocoa's heart sank a bit. She wanted to feel mislead, but it wasn't anyone's fault. They just simply didn't realize the Faun was out or had just been guessing. Either way, she wasn't sure she'd try this again. It was just too much of an emotion lead up for her-

The sound of hooves perked her ears up. Suddenly her heart was racing and all pre-planning of words went out the door. What had she been planning to say to him? What was she doing here? She felt like running, but the door was already open and the tree shaper was standing before her. She wasn't sure if she read the look he had given her correctly, was it surprise? She supposed not many her age came to the tree shaper looking for items or help so she didn't blame him if she did read him right. She pushed it aside for now. She needed to get a hold of herself.

With a deep breath she tilted her chin up, forcing herself to look him in the eye, “My name is Cocoa Eclair.” she started with a bit of a shaky voice. She cleared it quickly, clasping her hands in front of her. Was he staring? Was it that weird? Oh man he was making her more nervous and she never got this way! Perhaps the want to be useful was so strong for her that she was scared of messing this opportunity up! She wanted to mentally slap herself. “I've recently been given some powers that might be of some use to you. At least, that's what some Faun around the tree have been saying to me.” she gave him a half hearted shrug.

This was stupid! Out with it girl! “I'm still trying to figure them out, but if you were interested in an apprentice I'd be happy to help out. My dad is awesome with carving and taught me a lot about working with wood. My powers kinda help speed that up, you see, I can think of something and it appears in the wood I am working with. Well, not always, I have been able to only get it to work now and again, but it's really cool when it works.” She was obviously passionate about the talent the way her words came tumbling out of her mouth and how her hands moved about as she spoke. She caught herself and immediately looked away, slowing her speech down. “Like I said, it's not really fully developed, but if you had some interest I could help with your work till I figure them out. Dad has taught me a lot so even without the powers I can be pretty useful.”

Menelie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:22 pm
Hearing the child's obvious nervousness, feeling it echo his own, somehow it made Takis feel more at ease. He remembered he was the adult here. He also remembered what it was like to be a gangly youth, still unsure of his powers and without much of a direction to climb. And his wild haircut...

And, something about her made his heart soften. He'd bristled at first at the idea of taking apprentices--surely teaching someone to do what he did would only slow him down--but if she had any kind of wood shaping powers, perhaps she could make ceremonial bowls, or utensils or tools, or any of the myriad things he spent time on, and he could focus on the higher-order things that needed his attention. Perhaps a protege wouldn't be such a bad thing. Besides, her round face and freckles were already tugging his as-of-yet-childless heartstrings.

Takis put on the first smile he'd really felt in a while, and opened the door wider to permit her. "I'd be delighted to see what you can do, Cocoa Eclair." Those Faunies certainly had strange names, although they were often quite descriptive. "If you'll permit me, I'd like to test the limits of your power, so we know where your growing edges are." He made an open gesture toward his workbench. "Of course," he added, "I'll show you my powers in return." Takis remembered being mesmerized as a child by adults displaying their powers, in their fully-formed and well-practiced finesse. Perhaps Cocoa Eclair would be put at ease by this.

Irish Night Fox
;; forgive me, I am sooooo rusty with him lol heart

Menelie

Toothsome Fairy

14,725 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Irish Night Fox
Crew

Chatty Regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:08 am
Cocoa could hardly believe her ears! So he was interested! It was an odd feeling for Cocoa, and she almost wanted to revel in it. Even if she didn’t meet the mark, at least in this way someone had taken an interest in her. It had been so long since she’d felt the rush of excitement like this. She’d get to show someone what she could do!

Oh no! She also realized she hadn’t done that before. The nerves started to engulf her again despite the Faun’s kindness. He came off so casual and easy to talk to, so open. She immediately felt better near him despite the nagging bit in the back of her mind trying to convince her that she’d fail. Though now this realization was attempting to suck all of that way-

“Just Cocoa will be fine.” she smile shyly. “I haven’t had the chance to share this with anyone so I’d be honestly happy to finally get the chance. I know I got a lot of growing to do, but I’ve got some things I’ve figured out for myself. If anything I know how to use the tools of the trade if that doesn’t work out for me.” Now she was repeating herself, great. She bit her tongue hoping it would calm her racing mind as well. Was she so desperate to sell herself to the trade?

She took his invitation and stepped inside. Her eyes filled with wonder as she took in his workshop, “This is beautiful.” she murmured. It probably wasn’t the best description, but she was already in love. The smell and feeling the place wrapped her in comfort, reminding her of her dad. At the same time she felt the pang of hurt that it brought, of how much she missed having her parents around.

Her thoughts were dashed at his words and she turned wide eyes up at him, “Will you really?” she asked excitedly. It seemed like her whole burden of nerves had slid right off her shoulders, “I haven’t gotten the chance to see many since I don’t normally live at the tree, but I think getting my own has made me super curious. I’d be really honored if you would!”

She looked around her with renewed vigor. If she had to complete a task in order to make that happen then she’d better get at it. “Whatcha want me to make? I kinda have to have an example in front of me before I can do anything… Well, I don’t have to, but it makes for a more successful end product.”

“Menelie”
Oh goodness no forgiveness needed! I adore him! XD It’s exactly what Cocoa needs to be able to do this haha! heart

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:12 pm
Takis couldn't help but chuckle at her enthusiasm. "Cocoa it is, then." He leaned one hip on his workbench. Perhaps having a pupil and helper would ease the monotony of his days. Especially one as sprightly as this.

"Start with something small," he instructed. "Try this tool, here." He gave her an awl, something he used to poke holes in leather when needed. He didn't really use a lot of tools for woodworking...mostly his hands. He expected she wouldn't have seen something like this before, so it would be a good test of her abilities. He started mentally making a list of more complex objects for her to try. Takis handed her a short, stubby section of branch, collected from outside Laisidhiel and cut to size by an ax.

"Take as much time as you need," he said, leaning one hip on the edge of the bench.

Irish Night Fox

Menelie

Toothsome Fairy

14,725 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Irish Night Fox
Crew

Chatty Regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:57 pm
Cocoa took the tool from him, inspecting it. Her face clearly showed she hadn't had a chance to work with this one yet. Her brows furrowed and she eyes slowly slid across it, taking in every bit of it she could. She had to keep going back over it because her mind kept wandering. Some times her eyes would slide to the side to see if he was still watching. How was she suppose to do this with someone watching? What if she failed?

She took a deep breath and focused her eyes back on the object in front of her. She pushed his presence out of her mind and focused on what was in front of her. She turned it over in her hands for awhile, thanking him silently for picking something without much detail. To have to remember all of that, that would have been embarrassing to mess up.

She turned her eyes to the branch he'd placed before her. Was she ready? She looked at the awl then back at the branch. She went over it in her mind again before reaching out to the branch. The wood reacted instantly, bending and jerking in an erratic way. She bit her lower lip, that was also something she'd been trying to work on. She managed a few times to have it form in a smooth and linear way, but this seemed to feed off her emotions.

She sighed, relived when it finally stopped and shaped itself into a wooden awl. There was no sawdust, no mess, no left overs. It just twisted and turned until the object revealed itself from the wood. Where his went from wood to metal, hers was a flawless flow of wood. She wasn't sure how effective hers would be compared to his, trading wood for metal. “What do you use this for? It's the same shape, but I am not sure it's going to be as strong as yours.” She picked it up and grabbed the example one. She frowned looking between the two before turning to hold them out to him waiting for his own inspection.

“I can try something else if you'd like. I've recently managed some bowls, their rims are finally even. Well, some times...” her demeanor changed, "Unless this means, since I've made you something, that it's your turn to show me!?"

Menelie

:[ The Fifth Age ]:

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff