Romano took a deep breath. He was back at the monster borders, only this time with a plan. Initially he had considered capturing Sundai to barter as a slave, but that wouldn't do- he realized.

For all their flaws the monsters were still all about loyalty. If someone was even remotely considered to be un-loyal he was banished. So even if he had captured the white leopard it wouldn't have made a difference returning with him in tow. Besides, Romano wasn't the kind of person to kidnap someone for his own benefit... So instead the purple coated leopard had devised another plan. It was kind of a stupid plan when he stopped to think about it, but it might have been the only thing to work.

"I wish to speak to a Ghadhabu." He told the Tafuati upon his return. They had given him an odd look and a few muttered traitor under their lips but in the end they had given in to his single demand. They knew him, he was their friend and that was cause enough to let him live. Yet they wanted to erase his memory or rather- brainwash him back into the ways of the pride. Romano knew this, he knew this because at one point he was as stubborn and dedicated as them. He truly believed Hanma was alive, but now he doubted Hanma even existed.

Still, this place was his home. It didn't matter that the Tafuati were odd or believed in a false god, what mattered was that they were his family. He had grown up alongside them, they were the only people he truly trusted and knew. He needed to believe that they thought of him of family as well, he wanted to believe that at least.

The reason he wished to speak with a Ghadhabu was another matter. Ghadhabu were strong and passionate and primarily above everything else, they were incredibly superstitious. If Vellamo had told them he had turned mortal they would believe her. Yet if Romano was able to convince one of them he was still a monster then all of this drama vanished as quickly as it had stirred. The risk was death, low and behold they weren't convinced of his monster-ness then the Ghadhabu would attack with the intent to kill. Usually.

Only Romano had once been one of them.

"Greetings." He bowed as the Ghadhabu representative neared. "I am a Tafuati. Believe in my words." Usually he would have just said "I'm a Tafuati, believe me please." but the Ghadhabu preferred more elaborate language.

---
Mot was not really in the mood for these sort of dramatics. He had been sleeping peacefully in his den awaiting the new morning to kiss the sky when a Tafuati woman had barged into his den. She had been spouting some sort of nonsense about how he was wanted for a meeting of some kind.

Well, apparently this meeting was to judge the fate of another Tafuati. He had been informed that on his walk over.

The lion crushed through the jungle loudly, stomping with no intention of lightening the way his feet smashed against the ground. There was no wind, and the night was hot to match how unbearable the day had been. The only thing different from now and the previous day was that he heard the murmur of voices in the trees, and the sound of bugs going out their usual tasks. Also, it was dark. That was important to mention as well.

The moonlight basked along Mot's dark hide as he shifted into the clearing where it appeared the Tafuati had arranged this meeting to take place. Next to him were several of the group, and on the other side a few others were hissing at a leopard with a strikingly purple pelt.

"Hmm." He digested what the leopard told him. "I am Mot, a Ghadhabu. Your comrades have told me you a traitor to them. You say this isn't true?"

---

"Correct. I will do anything you ask to convince you of me being monster blooded." It sounded dumb and far less proper then the Ghadhabu preferred but he went for it anyways.

Romano considered for a moment why he wanted this. Passage back into his pride? Then he reminded himself that he had decided it was because they were family, and quite frankly after exploring the world he liked having somewhere to come home to.

He starred hopefully at Mot. 'Please. Please believe me.' He wasn't quite so prepared to fight for his honor or anything like that...

---
Mot had to used all of his energy to not yawn. Ugh. This was stupid, if Romano was a Ghadhabu then Mot would just challenge him to a duel. Mortals could not defeat monsters, a duel against the strongest of all monster, Ghadhabu proved this. Naturally if Romano was strong enough to defeat Mot in battle then as a Ghadhabu he'd be accepted.

But no, he just had to be a Tafuati. He just had to be from one of the more 'traditional' classes the monsters consisted of.

Of crap. He was suppose to give a task to Romano now too? That was a bit out of Mot's usual abilities. The lion glanced to his side, the Tafuati wore pelts so...

"If you are a Tafuati then tell me stranger- why is it you all wear pelts? Hmm?" Although it was seriously just a question out of Mot's curiosity he feigned that he already knew the answer. "Come on now, spit it out."

---

Romano gulped. The lion was giving him easy answers? Maybe he was just hoping that Romano would slip up so he could attack. Yeah...

"The pelts and bones of mortals are worn to bind us to the soul of the deceased. Mortals have passage into the afterlife... We, unless bound with a mortal soul do not."

---

"Oh?" Mot raised a brow. He was genuinely curious now, on what preposterous fate the Tafuati had invented. "Is that all then? What occurs if you do not bind your soul to a mortal?"

---

"Er. That is, we are to walk in a land with no food or water, cursed to go hungry and plead for a drink. That is... The fate of all monsters. Unless they are bound to mortal soul."

---

This was stupid, the Tafuati were stupid. Everyone knew when a monster died that they wandered around as Romano had said- thing was, Mot didn't see how that mattered.

Death wasn't as important as living.

"Yes, yes." Mot felt his eyes drooping. He needed something more thrilling, and he bet the Tafuati weren't satisfied with just that answer either.

"Hmm. Tell me something an outsider could not learn, Rowmandoe."

---

"It... It's Romano actually." He corrected the large Ghadhabu. The leopard was doing his best not to offend the larger animal, but it was a difficult task, especially when the lion was acting like he didn't care.

"Um. An outsider wouldn't know, that as a Tafutai we and the Ishara are close. As the mortals put it, 'friends'."

Then, his mouth slipped. "Sir I... Forgive me but, how does answering these questions prove I am a monster?"

He mentally whacked himself. Spoken like a true mortal Romano, way to go.

---

"Whatever." He didn't care if this Romano was actually called Macaw, this was still boring to the giant.

"Oh?" Mot turned his head to the side and looked at Romano as if he was judging his every feature. "You do not trust that by merely asking these questions I can tell if you be mortal or monster?"

"Allow me to repeat myself to you... you. Whatever you might be." He paused and took a moment to straighten his hunched back, appear taller.

"I am Ghadhabu Mot. Your fate lies in my decision and you so dare as to question it?!" He snarled, looking at the pathetic shaky leopard.

"Humph. Answer me all the questions you like, none of these prove your monsterdom. If anything they prove you have turned mortal."

---

"Yes of course- I..." Wait, submission was not a useful skill now. Mortals were submissive, monsters were aggressive. Romano had to stop thinking like a mortal.

"Actually no. No, I do not understand your means of judging if I am a monster or mortal, sir." He snarled, wearing a scowl he had not since the morning of being chased out of the lands.

"I am a Tafuati, my name is Romano, and simply because a- a rumor reached the ears of my comrades does not mean they are true. I have not turned into a mortal, and although your approval has been deemed necessary do not think that for one moment that I care what you think of me."

Romano could feel his rage building, pent up anger waiting to explode.

"I have defended this territory from mortal lions twice your size and I did such with merely my paws alone." He approached Mot now, the lion was half turned away and looked tired and bored.

The lion was treating this like a joke. Like the long lasting traditions and ways of the Tafuati were meaningless. As if it didn't matter whether he was monster or mortal- he'd treat them all just the same!!

"If you do not recall allow me to jog your memory, Ghadhabu. I was one of your kind once! The fire of Hanma's fury is still lit within my soul!"

---

"You wish to fight me, half-mortal?" Mot turned to face the angry leopard. Things had just gone from boring to entertaining in about three seconds flat.

"Yes, you heard me. Half-mortal. I believe we call them Kaless. A title suiting to a creature of your-"

The leopard attacked. It wasn't even all that surprising that he had, after all Mot had just spent this entire time riling him up!

But what surprised him was that Mot actually remembered the guy. Oh yes, Mot remembered for sure. The way the leopard went for his shoulder not his throat- the pure rush of anger that drove him to such a state.

"Ro'hariri!" Mot laughed as he was knocked over. "You have grown big. Heh."

---

"Do not call me that!" Romano could hear the cries from his fellow Tafuati. They were cries of concern, cheering, mixed emotions on Romano's reaction.

"It is a name that died when I was called to the Tafuati people. I am Romano now."

The lion kicked Romano off him, and the leopard wheezed as he backed up, under prepared as the lion stuck him with his paw, then pounced on the smaller cat as he was stunned.

He feel Mot's teeth drive into his neck and feel himself begin to bleed out. That was when- when someone cried 'stop!'

---

Mot heard it to, only it wasn't that anyone had cried stop, it was one of the elders.

The lion reversed back to where he had originally been standing and grinned. The Elder who shouted was probably very angry with Mot, but it was his mistake for having called on a Ghadhabu in the first place.

"Heh. Very good Ro'hariri. You are still a monster, I see it now, in your eyes."

Mot then turned to face the Elder who had spoken. "Forgive my outburst, but that is how we Ghadhabu handle things." The lion then excused himself and hummed as he walked the distance back to his den.

This had turned out to be a satisfying evening.

---
Romano gazed to watch as Mot left, Mot might have remembered Romano but Romano knew nothing of this Mot. In a past life they must have met. Though his Ghadhabu name, was it really so well known?

The leopard's eyes then met the Elder's who had called out for the fighting to cease.

"If it would please you so, I can prove my loyalty." Romano said lowly, yet his eyes remained trained on the Elder who continued to size him up.

It wasn't until the Elder turned and began to walk away that Romano realized his family- his comrades followed him. They were leaving Romano alone? So he hadn't been accepted after all.

Or so he thought until one of the onlookers turned around, "Coming?" They asked.

Oh? OH. Romano happily began walking to catch up.

Everything was good now, he was considered a monster again. And for some odd reason, that was a comforting thought...

No matter, Romano decided. He was just pleased he had a home to belong to again...