View Results

Vikabro

Fashionable Cat

12,140 Points
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:01 pm
So random idea for a story came to mind. Though I don't think I'd be able to publish because it is basically Twilight fanfiction. Yeah, the fact that is is Twilight fanfiction might sound lame. But the overall idea isn't too bad.

The story centers around Bella's cousin who I have not named just yet. But probably would be either Victoria Swan, Veronica Swan, or Katherine Swan [Or Catherine] Will either be Victoria, or Katherine. Perhaps Elizabeth. Probably won't be Victoria as much as I like the idea of Victoria Swan mostly because there already was a Victoria in the series.

So her dad, and Bella's dad are brothers.

Anyway Katherine moves to Forks to attend College. Because boarding with her Uncle was much cheaper than going to a dorm. Also the only college to accept her just happened to be nearby. [With a little bribe money from a curtain cousin in-law]

Bella also attends class for something to do. She, and Katherine are not exactly best friends. Edward fears their petty fights will end up ugly when they are just debating about what they believe is the best book, or best character. They have completely different taste so they debate often. So in a way they do have a bit of friendship stemming from their interest in books.

Then also Katherine crush ends up being a vampire or something.

[Still have not decided if I want her name to be Katherine. But I can not use the name Victoria, and I like Katherine more than Elizabeth. So I guess if anyone has any better ideas for names I'd like to hear it. With names I'd like something old-school with English background.]  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:16 am
Yeah, having Victoria as your character's first name wouldn't be a good idea because of the existing canon character. You could use it as a middle name though. Also, when I see the name Katherine now, I automatically think of Katherine from The Vampire Diaries. So, definitely take into consideration what names are already being used in other popular vampire franchises; the older, classic vampire stories (i.e. Dracula) however can be free range because you can have the names as tribute (or as an inside joke, if you want to go that route).

User Image

Oh, and just to let you know, there's no colleges located in Forks. It's a pretty small town. There are colleges located in nearby cities however, like Port Angeles (a city that's mentioned in the Twilight series). So, if you do plan on writing about Forks and the surrounding areas, I would definitely suggest doing your research to be accurate on the locations you mention. Don't let your fanfiction become extremely inaccurate like a certain book whose origins started as Twilight fanfiction ((because I live in the area it takes place, went to the university, and worked at the university's newspaper; I was extremely frustrated with how inaccurate it was)).

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I know you're probably just in the beginning stages of coming up with this fan-fiction idea but I would definitely suggest flushing out your story more. Right now it comes off as a bit flat and has a "Mary Sue" (so to speak) vibe to it. Think of what questions people would ask if they were looking at that loose summary you gave and how you would respond. If you need help generating questions to answer, feel free to ask and I can come up with some.

Or better yet, do something I've done in the past with my own OCs - pretend (or actually do it, if you're creative enough) you're making a screenshot of their Facebook page (or other preferred social media). It seems a bit silly at first but once you start putting it together, it becomes quite beneficial in developing your character and story - from the character's interests (i.e. books, music, movies, etc.), style (clothing and social media design appearance), and voice (how they say things in their posts). Also, thinking of "check ins" helped me determine what places they would go to; certain personalities are drawn to certain places more than others... and can help create a story on how they ended up from one place to another.  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Vikabro

Fashionable Cat

12,140 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:12 pm
To be honest the name Katherine made me think of the same thing. Another idea is Christine Swan.

Also with how Forks was described I can not even think there would be college there. If she would be boarding with Charlie I figured she'd commute to Port Angeles

An alternate idea is that it will mostly take place in Port Angeles in which she is placed in a dorm. To make the scenario she could be placed in the same room as Bella. Though I'd debate how involved I'd want Bella, and the Cullens to be involved. So far I'd rather very little interaction with him aside from Edward who at some point volunteered to help her get into the college when it was revealed she was having a hard time getting in anywhere. Or Bella where they get over their differences, and maybe start to get along.

As for her personality I have a pretty good idea. The main part is that she is outgoing, and is a generally positive person. In fact she gets excited very easily. She loves to wear bright colors, and bold designs. But always dresses modestly. [[ie the stores she'd shop are either Dots, or Deb]] Her interest include music, video games, and books. [[Near the bibliophile level]]

TL;DR I'm making her contrast with Bella.

There are two basic plots.

A, which is the first one I thought is. Christine is roughly 4, or 5 years older than Bella. The reason she is applying to college late is because she had to skip a few years, and take a few part time jobs since her dad was sick, and her mom was a stay at home mom who had to start looking for a job. Even when her mother did find a job she still needed to work as most of the money she'd earn went for hospital bills.

The father would eventually pass on, and Christine would finally be able to leave her jobs, and attend college. The thing is that she didn't want to go to one near home because she can not tolerate depressing atmospheres. Yet she had a hard time getting accepted without outside help from Edward. Charlie would agree to take her in for a while. While Christine's mom thought it would be a good idea to get to know both her uncle, and cousin better. Needless to say she isn't really looking forward to that.

[Due to Bella's and Christine's contrasting personality's they didn't get along as children]

Scenario B

This overall scenario isn't way too different from the first one. The main difference is that the dad is still alive, and she is roughly the same age as Bella. Instead of her dad dying a younger sibling dies instead. Without the depressing atmosphere she'd have little motivation to even think about moving to Forks. It was suggested to her by her parents since she doesn't seem to handle loss too well.

After thinking about it I might lean more towards scenario b.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:32 pm
Yeah, but wasn't Twilight itself a fanfiction? So it'd be a fanfiction of a fanfiction. Pretty meta, man.  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:55 am
Vikabro
To be honest the name Katherine made me think of the same thing. Another idea is Christine Swan.

As for her personality I have a pretty good idea. The main part is that she is outgoing, and is a generally positive person. In fact she gets excited very easily. She loves to wear bright colors, and bold designs. But always dresses modestly. [[ie the stores she'd shop are either Dots, or Deb]] Her interest include music, video games, and books. [[Near the bibliophile level]]

A, which is the first one I thought is. Christine is roughly 4, or 5 years older than Bella. The reason she is applying to college late is because she had to skip a few years, and take a few part time jobs since her dad was sick, and her mom was a stay at home mom who had to start looking for a job. Even when her mother did find a job she still needed to work as most of the money she'd earn went for hospital bills.

The father would eventually pass on, and Christine would finally be able to leave her jobs, and attend college. The thing is that she didn't want to go to one near home because she can not tolerate depressing atmospheres. Yet she had a hard time getting accepted without outside help from Edward. Charlie would agree to take her in for a while. While Christine's mom thought it would be a good idea to get to know both her uncle, and cousin better. Needless to say she isn't really looking forward to that.

Scenario B

This overall scenario isn't way too different from the first one. The main difference is that the dad is still alive, and she is roughly the same age as Bella. Instead of her dad dying a younger sibling dies instead. Without the depressing atmosphere she'd have little motivation to even think about moving to Forks. It was suggested to her by her parents since she doesn't seem to handle loss too well.

Christine's a good name. Though I guess I have slight bias with my opinion since... well... I'm a Christine, lol.

"Music, video games, and books" is still quite vague. Be more specific - like which music artists she listens to (i.e. Beyonce vs. Metallica), what type of video games she plays (i.e. Legend of Zelda vs. Five Nights At Freddys), and what books you're most likely to find on her shelf that are getting worn from her reading so many times (i.e. Pride and Prejudice vs. War and Peace). Another thing I want to comment on is that the image of an outgoing, positive person wearing bright and bold clothing seems to contradict the idea of someone who is going through a rough time of losing a loved one (whether it's Dad or a sibling) and having to work several part time jobs during that period. Unless the "social butterfly" image is a mask she's wearing for the outside world to make it appear like everything is okay when in reality she's a complete mess underneath it all.

And why would she have trouble getting accepted at any colleges? Is it because she had less than ideal grades ((perhaps all of her attention was focused on work and her sick family member that her school work got the short end of the stick))? I could understand some of the higher end universities being more particular on who they accept... but most community colleges are pretty open on who they accept. Maybe you should research on what colleges/universities are in the area to get a better idea of this educational situation for your character. Maybe instead of having trouble of being accepted, it's more of a matter of her being able to afford to attend (especially since she probably wasn't able to save up much money herself when working) - and thus Edward steps in by paying her college tuition (whether it's all of it or a portion of it, depending on how much she has available to pay with herself). Especially if said college/university has a particular field she wants to major in.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:01 am
Zphal
Yeah, but wasn't Twilight itself a fanfiction? So it'd be a fanfiction of a fanfiction. Pretty meta, man.

Actually it's the Fifty Shades trilogy that originally started off as Twilight fanfiction. After awhile E.L. James decided to take her fanfiction and transform it into an original work; thus her Edward and Bella became Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele.  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Vikabro

Fashionable Cat

12,140 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:09 am
Prof. Moonie
Vikabro

Scenario B

Christine's a good name. Though I guess I have slight bias with my opinion since... well... I'm a Christine, lol.

"Music, video games, and books" is still quite vague. Be more specific - like which music artists she listens to (i.e. Beyonce vs. Metallica), what type of video games she plays (i.e. Legend of Zelda vs. Five Nights At Freddys), and what books you're most likely to find on her shelf that are getting worn from her reading so many times (i.e. Pride and Prejudice vs. War and Peace). Another thing I want to comment on is that the image of an outgoing, positive person wearing bright and bold clothing seems to contradict the idea of someone who is going through a rough time of losing a loved one (whether it's Dad or a sibling) and having to work several part time jobs during that period. Unless the "social butterfly" image is a mask she's wearing for the outside world to make it appear like everything is okay when in reality she's a complete mess underneath it all.

And why would she have trouble getting accepted at any colleges? Is it because she had less than ideal grades ((perhaps all of her attention was focused on work and her sick family member that her school work got the short end of the stick))? I could understand some of the higher end universities being more particular on who they accept... but most community colleges are pretty open on who they accept. Maybe you should research on what colleges/universities are in the area to get a better idea of this educational situation for your character. Maybe instead of having trouble of being accepted, it's more of a matter of her being able to afford to attend (especially since she probably wasn't able to save up much money herself when working) - and thus Edward steps in by paying her college tuition (whether it's all of it or a portion of it, depending on how much she has available to pay with herself). Especially if said college/university has a particular field she wants to major in.

For music she'd probably mostly listen to J-Pop, or rather pop music in general as upbeat music helps her get her though her day. She also would listen to video game soundtracks.

With video games she loves RPGs the best. Her favorite game is most likely Final Fantasy X-2, or Persona 4. Also has a liking for some horror games. But probably would never play Five Nights at Freddy's. Though she'd watch someone else play it..

Her books would probably be mostly fantasy. A good portion are either fairy tail related, or are vampire / zombie novels [Or just supernatural in general] Favorites include Harry Potter series, The Hunger Games, and Phantom of the Opera.

As for her problems getting into college it is a mix of her being able to afford to go, and her grades. As a high school student she never bothered even doing homework unless it was one of her favorite classes which are mostly art, and writing. All other classes expect for gym she barely passes with a C unless it is a hated subject where she just completely flunks. Math, and science are her worst subjects. She does well in Home Ec however. Even though she loves books reading most text books tends to give her massive headaches.

As for the classes she'd want to get into she is somewhat undecided which to stick to. But she is interested in taking classes in game design, literature, and art.

If she, and her mother was not set on her staying in a dorm, or staying abroad for the duration she would probably be able to afford to go to a school near her. However Christine wants to get away from a gloomy atmosphere, and her mom is afraid if Christine stays she'd become unstable.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:03 am
Prof. Moonie
Zphal

Actually it's the Fifty Shades trilogy that originally started off as Twilight fanfiction. After awhile E.L. James decided to take her fanfiction and transform it into an original work; thus her Edward and Bella became Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele.

Ohhhh right! Thank you for setting me straight, Moonie. 3nodding  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:16 pm
Zphal
Prof. Moonie
Zphal

Ohhhh right! Thank you for setting me straight, Moonie. 3nodding

You're welcome. 3nodding  
"CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces