Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaians of Florida

Back to Guilds

A place for Floridians to meet other Floridians! 

Tags: Florida 

Reply Gaians of Florida
hurricanes?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

swampyoukai

Tipsy Shapeshifter

7,750 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:19 am
most people who live in florida are well aware of the ever so lovely hurricane season. for the most part its been a very dead season for years now. But now it seems as though thats changing, Erika has dissolved back into a tropical storm, but there is another storm heading this way. So is anyone worried over this ? I'm not really to thrilled at the idea of possibly reliving 2004/05.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:29 pm
As inexpensive and money saving it would be to live in a trailer, hurricane season is why I live in a house. sweatdrop  

TheRob
Vice Captain

Unbeatable Prophet

43,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Healer 50
  • Cosmic Healer 200

Zelexia

Barton Lover

47,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Team Rina 200
  • Cheerbringer 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:07 am
I remember Charley, but most hurricanes are at about the strength of a tropical storm by the time they make it this far inland, and the drainage in my area is good enough that I only fear trees during most storms.
I will prepare only if it looks like a hurricane will actually hit Central Florida with any sort of serious force, otherwise it's business as usual.

I feel for the people who just moved here and are overreacting to the point you'd think that the meteorologist just said that the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse are coming in a few days, rather than a hurricane. Preparation is good, buying all the stores out of bottled water and plywood every time a storm even blinks in this general direction is just a tiny bit excessive. Being ready is good... but all good things in moderation.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:29 pm
TheRob
As inexpensive and money saving it would be to live in a trailer, hurricane season is why I live in a house. sweatdrop

I don't remember exactly when but there was a really bad tropical storm a few years back and me living in a trailer at the time was the only reason my entire place wasn't flooded.  

Phantom Solace

Dapper Dabbler

9,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Phantom Solace

Dapper Dabbler

9,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:30 pm
Hurricane season has never really bothered me much. Only ever had to evacuate my area once.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:30 am
I'm going to age myself here and say that I was three when Andrew hit in 1992 (and I actually still remember events during the storm too). Since then, hurricanes have always been nothing more than an annoyance that happens every so often, at least in terms of preparation for a storm that never comes in the end. When one does hit, I love it. Yes, I do get scared because I know what can happen, but a hurricane is one of the few times you can play a board/card game by candlelight and not have your family roll their eyes at you.

The major downside about hurricanes is that my neighborhood can, and often will, go weeks without power once it passes. I spent two months living in a two bedroom/one bathroom condo with five people between Katrina and Wilma both.  

Nightwind-Dragon

Feral Dragon

23,750 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
Gaians of Florida

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items