User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

A light echo of laughter stung Masuko's ears as it echoed through the quiet evening in the graveyard. The alpha knew that it was not the laugher of a hyena, and it had to have been that of a lion. One that was not a slave, as those rarely if ever laughed at their lot in life.

She paced in and around the giant elephant skills, peering between old rib cages, kicking through piles of smaller bones. The bone keepers would whine to her later, but a few snaps of her jaws would shut them up. This was more important.

The laughter was moving, somehow, and it was difficult to pinpoint. Finally it seemed to draw her towards the pitiful looking water hole that resided in the packlands. A small lioness grinned at her, clearly the culprit of the laughter. Her body language was completely confident, and she showed no fear (or knowledge) of the danger she posed to herself for taunting the alpha of the pack. Masuko's mane prickled upwards, anger swelling in her chest.

"My, my! It took you so long to find where I am," the little lioness laughed, "I was starting to get bored. Are you always this dumb?" She swayed a little bit, looking at the angry hyena with bright, playful eyes.

Masuko snarled. "Dumb? You're the moron for crossing into my territory without understanding what risk you're playing." She felt herself clawing at the ground, wanting desperately to strike...why couldn't she? There was something about this little lioness that was different, and it was setting alarm bells off in Masuko's head. Any lion wouldn't wander into here with no fear of what was around them.

"I cross into no territory. You call this a base of operations? Its laughable." Lumina walked towards the hyena, still no fear in her eyes. She knew the ace in her pocket, and the short leash that she had him under. There was nothing to fear, least of all a hyena who wasn't striking first and asking questions after. "Its amazing that anything is holding up together in this dump. Why you would ever defend it is beyond my comprehension." She started to pace around the hyena, huffing at the bones that scattered along the ground.

That was it. Masuko was going to kill this lioness, and not bother to keep her alive as a slave. Or maybe she could be a good example of what wasn't permissible, and rip her tongue out so she couldn't speak anymore. To live and not twist her tongue in such foolish ways, that would be the more fitting punishment. Feeling her shoulders tense up and her chest grow hot, the alpha leaped at the little black lioness.

And was immediately countered, flung backwards into the earth. She gasped as the wind was knocked out of her, grasping at the ground to get a hold of her position.

"Tsk, tsk. I thought you would know better than to attack before sizing up your entire enemy." The sneer that escaped Lumina's throat was venomous, and as Masuko glanced upwards her eyes widened. Whatever sunlight that had been above her was now blocked out.

A looming form stood over her, its massive size making it hard for her to focus on it. She knew instantly what it was. What those foolish lions sometimes called 'gods'. She had heard her father speak of one or two when she was younger, but never did she actually believe that they were real. Only now there was one just inches away from her own throat, its surreal fire-like wings dizzying her mind.

"Well, it seems I had to play my trump card a little early. No matter." She peered at the hyena around the god's shoulder, a wry smile growing on her face. "This is my pet. He is very good at listening to my orders, as you can tell. Not a scratch on me!" She tip toed a bit, clearly displaying that Masuko hadn't even touched her. "And I have an offer to make for you. Quite the offer, so you should listen carefully."

Masuko was doing her best to listen, but it was hard to focus with death's jaws nearly nipping at her throat. She realized that this god was certainly not within his own power. Something was going on here, but she wasn't foolish enough to confront it at this very moment. "I'll listen if you get your stupid guard dog off of me," she snarled, knowing that she was testing her position in this awkward situation. She refused to let herself be completely cowed; an Alpha knew no other way of living.

"Aww, but he was having so much fun! Fiiiine," Lumina pouted, and the large black form withdrew completely from sight. As if to vanish. Masuko blinked in surprise, and swiveled back onto her paws with an alarmed growl. Is that how he hit her out of no where?

"I know that you have it in for the Pridelands. And seeing as how they always seem to live so perfectly, I'd like to help you with that." Lumina's eyes gleamed, impatiently anticipating what the Alpha's response would be.

The hyena narrowed her violet eyes at the little lioness, distrust clearly echoing across her face. What was the endgame of these two? There had to be something more than just helping her, whatever help it was they were actually offering her. On the other hand, it would be foolish to ignore anything they might offer...but at what cost?

"Why would I trust your help when you just insulted my pack and attacked me?" she spat, the fur along her spine rising up in anger.

Lumina laughed. "Because you need help, silly! Yeah, maybe we have our own little plan, but I proooomise it won't hurt you. We just want to have a little fun, and why not bother a pride that no one seems to have the guts to prod?" Her laughter turned into a chidlish giggle as she turned to leave Masuko's sight. "I know you're too smart to say no. So from now on, this place is our home. I'll be back soon to talk with you more~!"

Masuko's stomach twisted in knots, unsure as to what pact she was just forced into agreeing with.

(1,052 words)