Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:11 pm
User Image

August's Theme: Tropical Birds

Welcome to another themed custom thread! Instead of doing the same old thing for customs, I've decided to spice things up a bit by restricting what kind of design you can submit. Ideally, this will run every month or so and you will have to make up something completely new each time!

The themes may be simple and obvious, such as a specific color or marking type. Or they may be unusual and abstract, like the kind of phrases that are so popular in semi-custom events. It'll change in every thread, so keep your eyes open for one that inspires you!

This month the theme is... Tropical Birds!

IMPORTANT: Yes, it is that simple this month. No, I won't be checking where the birds you pick are from so you can submit anything interesting looking (but like.. no crows, I know those aren't tropical birds, rofl).

Please read and keep new rule 4b in mind! Especially with birds, it can get needlessly complicated (bad for me) or disappointingly simplified (bad for you). You can still decide things like how to use gradients or flat lines between colors, or if you just want your custom to be inspired by the bird you can shuffle around markings and colors as you please. You can make up your own bird if your own bird, if you want!

Examples (pictured above):
- nessiaing, who suggested this theme, picked a Roller and wanted as close to the image provided as possible.
- Safaia suggested a Palawan Hornbill and wanted it to keep the ghosty feel.
- Ecavi got annoyed at which way the template was facing and settled on an avian inspired by a White-fronted Amazon rather than a direct translation.

And yes ALL of these customs will be avians!

Rules:
1. You may only enter for and win one custom, whether regular or familiar.
2. You must design your own custom. There may be CC elements but this is supposed to be a fun exercise for your mind, not mine ;3
3. Your custom must fit the theme for the month. You may defend/explain your choices at the bottom of your form, if you feel it is needed.
4. You must have a reference image, even if it's just a quick doodle, colorful blob or literal scribble*

______NEW! 4b. References should not just be a photograph. Pick your exact colors, decide on how you want your intended design executed.. don't be afraid of Paint!

5. You may enter previously-designed customs as long as they fit the theme but low luck is irrelevant here and entering does not contribute to your low luck counts!
6. Adult customs only, please! This may change in the future but for now, no growths.
7. These are absolutely free and do not count towards your monthly customs.

Note: I am willing to try just about anything, but know that there are limits to what I can pull off and I will always choose to refuse design elements over giving you an unsatisfactory attempt at what you asked for. Don't let that stop you from challenging me with something awesome, but please be understanding if I have to request or suggest changes.

These will be both randomized and CC, and I will aim to take as many as I can.

* Yes, these are all actual reference images I have used for customs.

Regular Form

NOT APPLICABLE

Familiar Form

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Stage:[/b] Adult
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Species:[/b] Avian (TYPE GOES HERE)
[b]Parents:[/b]
[b]Offspring:[/b]
[b]Description:[/b]
[b]Reference Image(s):[/b]

Past Themes

• June 2015 - Fancy Feet: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.
  • July 2015 - Cream or Sugar? - premade: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 // custom: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:03 am
Name: tba
Stage: Adult
Species: Avian (Original)
Parents: ? X ?
Offspring: n/a
Description: coloured like Chatot. And from description : Chatot is an avian Pokémon similar to a parakeet. See ref, very simple design really but burdy yay!
Reference Image(s): http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120906035147/es.pokemon/images/b/be/Chatot_(anime_DP).png

Syrius Lionwing

Zosie

Fashionable Bear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:29 am
Name: Whero
Species: Avian normal/default/"first" lineart they had
Parents: ? x ?
Offspring: N/A
Description: A cardinal!
Reference Image(s): These are definitely tropical to anyone in the UK but not sure how you guys see them. I saw my first one in Florida *O* I have always loved them!
Photo Terrible paint ref

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:23 am
Name:
Species: Avian (TYPE GOES HERE)
Offspring: x
Description: Like a Zibra Finch!
Reference Image(s): http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b528/Seaki_SoA/ZFinchRef.png

Seaki
Crew

Divine Star

AstoriaFallen

AstoriaFallen

Winter Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:28 am
Name: TBD
Species: Hawk. (Is that the one that's shown in the middle?)
Description: Colored like a northern Rosella, keep as close to the image as you can. I'll get a concept image doodled up, but here is a ref for now Northern Rosella
Reference Image(s): Question!!

Do you have to be the maker of the image? I found a whole site that had a pre colored birds that look like the way I wanted. Can we use those?
If so, this is the link for it. O.o
Concept

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:10 am
Name: Zeru
Species: Avian - Raven
Offspring: n.a
Description: Colored just like a gold and blue macaw.
Reference Image(s): Macaw Wiki
Macaw Image Sleepy Macaws

Sabra Knight

Feral Galaxy

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:47 am
Species: Avian - Falcon
Description: Colored like a Major Mitchell's cockatoo. Eyes can either be dark like the refs, or a sunset color like the crest. If you feel there isn't enough room to add the crest, then feel free to shift those colors to his tail feathers. (Fancy butt fluff!) On the whole, I prefer the coloring on the last ref for the chest.
Reference Image(s): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:06 pm
Name: tbd
Species: Avian (basic)
Parents: n/a
Description: See ref. Like a Lilac Breasted Roller, Yellowish-bronze around beak, fades into green top and purple bottom. Green turns darker further down back. Purple turns into teal-ish color and fades to darker green on tail. Dark blue on wing shoulder to a light bright blue on the main feathers with dark blue edges on the individual wing feathers. Beak, eye, and feet cc?
Reference Image(s): ref, extra birdy-just to see how pretty dem are.

magnadearel

Talencia

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:12 pm
Species: Avian (raven)
Description: Hildebrandt's Starling! Grey feet and beak. Head two shades of turquoise, with a medium blue streak, and a white patch around the eye. Chest medium blue to dark purple. Wings/back/tail, royal blue to dark blue to dark purple to lighter purple. Belly two shades of yellow. Eye color is CC.

HOW you accomplish this is up to you! I'm open to it being more feathery than stark lines between the colors. I'm fine with similar colors being blended some. I'm good with you putting colors together more like the actual bird than my ref does. Do what feels best!
Reference Image(s): my ref and the actual bird

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:17 am
Species: Avian - Eagle
Description: (Don't know what breed it is.) Brown base with a turquoise belly. Black 'mask' with yellow above and yellow beak ruffle. Black beak and legs. Black outlining along the front edge of wings and side feathers/ends of tail, and across back.
Reference Image(s): my ref & original image

Tanakako

Allied Recalibrator

CaliWolfe

Shy Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:42 am
Species: Avian (Vulture)
Description: Inspired by the Collared aracari, really I just like the unique pattern on their beaks, feel free to change anything else up about him though!
Reference Image(s): [x], [x], [x], [x]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:24 am
Species: Avian (CC)
Description: See ref! It's a combo of an Indian Peacock and a Scarlet Macaw!
Reference Image(s): Ref

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Fairy Snails

Battle-ready Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:59 am
Species: Avian Hawk
Description: Based off a Congo African grey parrot, grey with lighter grey stripes. A dark grey beak and a red tail.
Reference Image(s): My ref, Photograph

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:43 pm
Species: Avian (CC)
Description: Based off the Violet-Backed Starling. An iridescent purple and pink bird with a white chest, yellow eyes, and black everywhere else.
Reference Image(s): Back colors ref Overall Ref

belloblossom

Aged Shapeshifter

17,850 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Puhterodactyl

Ghostly Friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:01 pm
Name: ?
Species: Avian - Vulture
Offspring: --
Description: Like a woodland kingfisher! with yellow eyes instead of brown though, please! heart
Reference Image(s): actual bird literal blob ref

[OOC] Archived [OOC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff