Ganesh | | [ Andranis ]

The buffalo were a known danger, spread out in a large herd in the jungle between the Bahari and Kizi lands. Why they were there was a mystery to everybody in the Bahari, who were thankful for their dry spell of cubs. While no cubs being present was bad for the pride's future, they still had lions JOINING, so there was still a growth of pride members. Not as fast as cubs would make it, but still there. And no cubs actually meant LESS danger, because cubs were dreadfully curious little scamps who would take the warnings of danger in the trees as a challenge to prove themselves.

To say the least, Ganesh didn't want to be unprepared, and was gathering herbs at the edge of the trees. There were some more ideal ones actually IN the jungle, but they were too close to the agitated beasts to risk his life or health. As he gathered, he sang a quiet tune to himself. "I didn't know I was lonely 'til I saw your face... I didn't know I was broke 'til I wanted to change..."

Adagio | | [ Thalion ]

The herd of buffalo was a hazard that most of the pride had been alerted to. They were to move through the trees as their own risk, minding every breath and paw step. The creatures were not naturally aggressive, but in the face of a predator they would suddenly find their wild side. Even one of the creatures was enough to lay a few careless lions low, an entire herd was extremely dangerous- even if it promised many days of good eating.

Adagio kept to himself mostly, shy and quiet with an ear for music. He found it everywhere, in everything. It was in the dry reeds blowing in the wind, in the hissing of the waves as they rolled up on the sands only to retreat back into the endless big water. The birds were always present, each with its own song to sing. He had a decent enough voice, at least he thought so. He had never properly tested it in front of the rest of the tribe, he was mortified at the thought...and somehow sad at the same time. If he had but an ounce of courage he'd perform for them, and odds were he would be great.

He lifted his head, his brow creasing, as a song broke through the trees anyway. Another singer? Not too bad either... He hunched his shoulders and slowly padded towards the sound.

Ganesh | | [ Andranis ]

He was entirely unaware of having an audience as he plucked some berries. They were important for one of the poultices he made, and he'd prefer to have it ready to go in the event somebody needed it. By the time Adagio had gotten closer, Ganesh had finished the song he'd been on and moved on to another. "I have got so much to give, I swear I do... I may not have nine lives, but this one feels brand new..." He paused, tapping his chin a moment, before grabbing some leaves. "Yes I've lived a good one, I have tried to be true... There are some things I never realised... 'Til I met you.." He turned around, stopping suddenly and giving a start. "OH! Um..." His ears went back, a hint of embarassment in his eyes. "I, um... I didn't realize I had.. An audience..." It wasn't that he was discouraged or shy about singing. He just hadn't expected an audience.

Adagio | | [ Thalion ]

The pale lion tilted his head. What a strange song... most of the Bahari would sing about things around them. The sea, a shell, a pretty girl, or a tragic love story. It was...catchy in its own way. Different, but not horrible.

When the other male whirled around, shock dominating his wide-eyed stare, Adagio smiled a little and quickly glanced away.

"S-sorry. I got curious... I heard you from a few paces back."

Ganesh | | [ Andranis ]

"Oh, oh no need to say sorry!" He waved a paw, then stepped closer. "I just literally didn't expect to have an audience, it's a bit embarassing to be caught like that." Ganesh gave a cough, then smiled sheepishly. "Especially when it's about somebody who's not even in the area." He still thought about that lioness he'd seen, almost a year gone now, when the whale had been getting picked apart. She'd been something to behold, truly, with her own wave markings and fish dancing across her coat. He hadn't had the bravery to speak to her when he'd seen her, and now he'd probably never see her again. "So, um... What brings you out to this part of the beach?" He glanced over. "And this close to the jungle..."

Adagio | | [ Thalion ]

"A lady lost then." The male smiled a little. So it was about a lovely lady. A tragic romance perhaps... or perhaps he simply had a girl back in the pride's territory. He wasn't sure, and in a way it felt inappropreate to ask.

He chuckled and bobbed his shoulders. "I just wanted to find a place to listen. That's all. You never hear the same thing twice."

Ganesh | | [ Andranis ]

He was thoughtful, smiling a bit. "You're right, you don't... A single reed in the wind sounds different the next night than it did the previous." One of his ears twitched as a fly landed on it, and he gave an agitated snarl at the tiny pest. "Accursed flies..." He swatted a paw at it, watching it fly off with a huff.

His attention turned back to the paler lion. I'd have to meet the lady before I can say I lost her..." His grin was sheepish as he lifted a paw, rubbing the back of his head and neck. "She was here and gone so fast, I didn't even talk to her." He hoped she'd come back one day, though. "What about you? Has anybody caught YOUR eye?"

Adagio | | [ Thalion ]

Adagio's smile softened a little. Ah. So he had spotted the lady from a distance and hadn't the courage to make an approach officially. It was almsot as sad as having lost a lady. He never knew how she would have taken his advances- or if she would have at all. Perhaps it was harder not knowing..or easier. It was hard to say.

The next question earned a startled gasp. "N-no. No one. I....I've just come into my mane. I don't....it was a little...you know."

Ganesh | | [ Andranis ]

Ganesh chuckled, giving Adagio a pat on the back. "It's alright, I didn't even really think about lionesses until I saw her. And I'd already had my mane for some time!" His entire life up to that point had been focused on pride life. The benefit of the pride had outweighed anything else, even the search for a mate. It had been startling, then, when he'd realized he couldn't stop thinking of this lioness who was there and gone again. No lioness had stirred such a feeling in him before. Maybe, one day, he'd go and find her and, hopefully, bring her home.

Adagio | | [ Thalion ]

The pat on the back was startling as the question had been. He took it with a muffled 'umpf' sound and sat himself upright once the male had backed up enough to give him some personal space once more.

"So you're pretty well into your mane then. I see." He looked away. It was kind of embarassing. His long legs and cubbish features still declared him a late adolecent if anything, still growing into an akward body. He hadn't even tried to roar just yet. He was fearful of anyone hearing any sound out of him.

"Well...maybe you should go look for her? You won't...cannot control anything just...hoping."

Ganesh | | [ Andranis ]

"One day..." He looked out to the sea, whistful, before he turned back and smiled at the younger lion. "Say, do you enjoy singing? It's a bit lonely singing by my lonesome." His parents DID push him to make more friends that weren't cousins. Especially his father... Since the majority of lions his father's own age were distantly related in some manner. At least, of the lions that were still IN the pride from his generation. How many had the tidal wave claimed? How many more had vanished over the years to other incidents? In a pride where everybody could easily know each other, it was startling to think about knowing when somebody was just... Not THERE anymore.

Adagio | | [ Thalion ]

Adagio shook as if he'd been struck. He did. He loved to sing. He loved to feel the music ring through his ribs and flow from his throat. Music was like honey on his tongue. He sang from his chest, deep and somehow still gentle...but only his ears and perhaps those of the local fauna had heard him sing.

"Eh heh well...you do a good job of singing on your own. And you have the whole forest to back you up. I wouldn't say it was that lonely."

Ganesh | | [ Andranis ]

"Not truly lonely, but a lion can still be an island in a sea of bodies... And when one doesn't have another lion singing with them, it CAN be lonely. A bird can't hit notes as low as a lion, and an elephant can't high a note as high as a lion." He wasn't entirely sure about the non-lion felines, though. The ones in the pride didn't seem the singing type. "I do like singing with the world around me, don't get me wrong, but now and then..." He motioned with his paw in a circular gesture, trying to find the right words. "Now and then... I don't know, I want somebody to join me that's the same species, but not a cousin. A friend."

Adagio | | [ Thalion ]

"Heh...", Adagio bobbed a shoulder and looked away. "I'm sorry. I suppose you are right. It...sounds like you may need that lady friend of yours more than I thought. Duets are best sung with the one that shares your heart- or...s-so I've heard."

He flicked his tail and took a slow step back. A friend? Another singer? No...they'd just met. What if his talent was all in his head? It likely was...

"I do h-hope you find...someone. I probibly shouldn't be keeping you from your....gathering."

Ganesh | | [ Andranis ]

He looked at the younger lion, the way he moved and spoke, really LOOKED at him, and let out a sigh, a gentle smile like only an older brother could give on his maw. "I was actually just finished... I don't suppose you'd want to walk back to the pride with me? We don't have to talk, company's just nice to have."

Adagio | | [ Thalion ]

Adagio had no real excuse to refuse the male's gesture. He was going to need to go back sooner or later...might as well get back before dusk and the hunting parties were sent out. He wouldn't want to get caught up in a hunt... of all things he was good at, hunting wasn't one of them.

"I suppose so." He bobbed his shoulders. "S-sorry to have interrupted."

Ganesh | | [ Andranis ]

As Ganesh started walking, he gave a shrug. "It's no problem! I don't mind audiences at all!" He offered another smile, then focused on the path in front of him. No sense picking all those herbs and berries only to lose them somehow, right? Or trip on something and hurt himself.

~Fin~

Word counts:
Ganesh: 1065
Adagio: 823

Total words: A lot 1887