Submit

Do you Prefer Gaia Online or Recolor.me
  Gaia Online
  Recolor.me
View Results

creativityChoked

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:25 pm
I came back here after years of not being online to see the horribly inflated prices. Wow, and while I love pixel art the website itself is so glitchy and outdated. U greatly prefer to be on Rec.

Frick. If anyone is looking for better avatars that they can afford for just talking in the forum you should head to recolor.me

Here is my referal link.

http://recolor.me/register?r=51717  
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:39 pm
I've been on Recolor for over a year and don't really like it that much. The whole website just feels cheap and like a dumbed down version of Gaia and other more successful communities. sweatdrop

And the users on there are (mostly) awful, too. They're mostly trolls and whatnot. It's a very rude community compared to here.  

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

wellwisher
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:32 pm
Hiddochi wolf
I've been on Recolor for over a year and don't really like it that much. The whole website just feels cheap and like a dumbed down version of Gaia and other more successful communities. sweatdrop

And the users on there are (mostly) awful, too. They're mostly trolls and whatnot. It's a very rude community compared to here.
I probably should have said something. But this person appears to be going to random threads and posting similar messages.

Though, she obviously doesn't quite understand enough about the gaia economy to understand exactly what it is that she's arguing against. True Recolor.me does have easier options for outfits, it's got a huge issue with, yeah, what you mentioned. Plus most of the people on Recolor.me are just fed up with Gaia. Not really a good community start if it's just disgruntled people abandoning a dying ship and finding whatever life raft options they can.

I'd call her.... either a troll, or just a fool who jumped on the bandwagon bashing gaia, without doing her research. In either case though her message is really falling on deaf ears.  
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:18 pm
wellwisher

The reason why I posted this up was the gauge people's opinions on both Gaia and recolor me and to see if people were aware of their options. I also really wanted to know others opinions and even though I may have not expressed myself entirely clear at first I would like to do so now if you would indulge me.

I myself love Gaia online and have been on here for many years, but have became particularly tired of the change of management and the way Gaia now conducts is business practice's.

I dislike having several announcements in my face about new items that come out constantly. The gold output for things like posting is now obsolete and has no way of catching up to the current economy of Gaia. The quality of the new items and item recolors is lacking, and I hear that the Gaia online work place is significantly unpleasant as whatbitnused to be.

Recolor me offers a refreshing art style and while there isn't a vast majority of items out yet the community has a large desision into the types of items that do come out. Unlike with Gaia where it is a special expencove privilege to find super rare tickets to get a recolour or an item based off what you want. Even then the tickets are very limiting.

The entire premise of recolour me is to allow for its users to have access to all the same items, but because of each item's customizable options people can create entirely unique avatars from one and other. To obtain the items you want posting in the forums gives you all the gold you could ever need. There is a gold cap of course been in a short two days you can have an astonishing outfit. You are really only limited by your creativity.

As far as the community goes most of the users still go on Gaia online. So the trolls that you are talking about and the very unpleasant people you are reffering to are artists, role players, CBers, and of course trolls that you have come to know, befriend, love or hate on Gaia as well. Its the same community of people, just with a different forum behind it.

I think I mentioned this before, but in case I hadn't recolor me is a forum created by the person behind tektek. Everyone I knew on Gaia used tektek before it was shut down and this was a free service provided for years. I am glad to see that they came up with something of their own even if it is similar to Gaia or other forum based website. Its still just a young community, only about a year old, and has yet to really define itself.

I could never abandone Gaia, it holds a special place in my heart, but I am really enjoying my time on recolour me. I think if you took the time to post more and ignored or laughed at some of the trolls that are within the forums that you would find something that appealed to you there as well.

But that is just my opinion and you are entitled to your own, which really was the entire point of the thread. I just wanted to know your opinions.  

creativityChoked

Dangerous Lunatic

Saikii
Crew

Friendly Fox

30,225 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:05 pm
Of the two, I can't say which is my favorite or least favorite yet. I have good memories on Gaia. Gaia's avatar system, in spite of item prices is still top notch, although I do wish colors could be customized more.

Also, since bluealaris took helm, the economy has slowly been recovering (as have the event items, seriously, look at what Interstellar Bunvasion brought us) and the alchemy possibilities are being expanded so more recipes can actually be crafted without having too negative an impact on what is on the market (thanks to the chests).

Is it perfect yet? Absolutely not! Economic recovery takes time. It has to be done in steps.

Recolor is relatively new and has some decent little games, but there is a definite hierarchy in the forums and certain people really look down on others with no good reason to. sad

I will say that I love being able to customize colors of Recolor's items to make unique outfits!

I will confess that between the two I... actually... prefer the Garry's Mod servers like GCinema and GMod Tower nowadays.

>.< Garry's Mod presents 3D worlds to play around in that were custom created. Some of the servers are immersive and addicting, making them a blast to play along-side friends.

It's nice getting to feel like you're actually closer to friends that are on the other side of the world.  
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:08 pm
Somewhere I posted a really good explanation for what had gone wrong, why things were inflated, and how the economy was set up/could be fixed.

Recolor.me was founded by Tekton, the creator of the now debunked Tektek site. His site took a lot of the things that Gaia was doing wrong and fixed them, it also took a bunch of the good things and replicated them. So in that regard Recolor.me is sorta a better gaia. What it lacks though is the age. Up until the end of 2013 the gaia economy had a normal inflation rate. As things grew older, and supply and demand were calculated things would increase in price at an appropriate rate.
When they changed ownership, the marketing team changed from user based to gaia cash based in their focus, Thus starting the strong and fast decline in the value of gold. Gaia has plenty of issues, many of which are easily fixable. Some, like the economy, are not.

Gaia is riddled with dissent from the change in management, people getting annoyed at the artificial inflation of everything. People leave, claim to leave, and stick around. The announcements have been toned down a lot. Originally, (? not sure, doesn't look like you were around much during the darkest times of the management change) There would be about six different messages about random gold grants, three or four messages about limited cash shop items, new cash shop items, and new temporary gaia cash discounts. (that's, three or four each, not, three or four total) Most days would have a good 30+ announcements a day for gaia cash related things.

I've explored Recolor.me and found that the conversations somewhat, disappointing. Though the item creation is well connected to the community, that and the avatar modification that gaia lacks, seems to be most of what Recolor.me has going for it. The economy that Recolor.me has easier to start with, But it also screws around with the idea of collectibles when everything is so easy to get. One of the smartest things that Gaia did way back when was create the Donation items. Items that were only available for a month. It allowed people to start collecting things that had a limited quantity, creating prestige and individuality not only in item set up, but in item combinations. Sure it's great being able to have anything that someone else has. But it's also great having something knowing that not everyone else can have.

As for transferring, I haven't seen much on Recolor.me that has so far, made me even begin to consider changing sites, or spend more time on Recolor.me. Even if I get a little annoyed at how much focus is spent on GC, they're improving, A good 13 months late, but they are starting to learn that their new management doesn't understand the community.

Oh, here it is. The, thing about gold value.

Personally I spend most of my time on other websites that actually aren't forums.  

wellwisher
Vice Captain

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:53 pm
Where's the "They both suck." option?

(For that matter, the "I like both." option too.)

That said, I prefer Why Not?.  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:06 pm
Zphal
That said, I prefer Why Not?.

User Image  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50