Things were changing. Well, frankly, thing were always changing, but not everyone seemed to notice as much as others. Mortals seemed to take change in stride. With the need to fit so much within their short lives they always seemed to be in a constant state of movement whether they felt it or not. As an outsider it was easy to watch and see how their world and lives evolved. Maybe that was one of the good things about mortals. One of the few. After all, as a God Baku rarely ever felt the touch of Finar-si but he could feel the fiery red lionesses touch on him, even if she wasn’t physically present. Maybe that was why the God of Nightmares had found himself flying over the desert. It was, after all, the Goddess of Change’s favorite domain with it’s ever altering terrain. The pride here, the Firekin specifically, have also gone through and evolution throughout the ages.

The moon cast her cold glow across the dunes creating shadows beyond the peaks of the sand. Finding one of the larger of the dune Baku landed lightly upon it. Sand shifted under his paws causing some to roll down the side of what had been a perfectly shaped dune. With a rustle of leather and chains he folded his wings upon his back. The God wasn’t too far off from the heart of the prideland but he wasn’t in any mind to much care who saw him. It really didn’t matter to him. He’d come to see if maybe he’d be able to meet with Finar-si despite the fact that she had not been sighted for quite some time by mortal or immortal.

Baku’s business was of quite a personal level. He had spoken to no one about it and truthfully he had spent quite a bit of time contemplating what was happening to him. Unable to come to a definite answer or decision he had flown out here hoping to get some answers. But as he stood there among the sand he knew that the Goddess he sought was not around. Somehow he could feel it.

“Well it’s been a rather long time since I’ve seen a God.”

The sound of the voice took Baku by surprise. He spun in on the dune and gazed down into the shadow cast by the small hill and noted the form of a lioness skillfully navigating the shifting sands to his location. He watched her with hooded eyes as she reached a point that the moon’s soft light was able to touch her. It was quite obvious by the grey touching her fur that this lioness was most likely coming close to the end of her time on this land. Despite her obvious age though she seemed to have little trouble reaching the top of his dune and looked unperturbed by his calculating, cold gaze.

“I am surprised you can see anything.” He mused loudly as he stood there. “You look like you could be walking into the God of Death’s open arms at any moment.”

The God’s frank and, what many would say were harsh words, didn’t both the old lioness at all. In fact she chuckled as she reached the top of the dune and took it upon herself to get comfortable. Sitting down she wrapped her tail around her paws and smiled. “I will keep him waiting for a little while longer.” She tilted her head to the side and gazed at him as if assessing his very soul.

Baku’s brow creased as he noticed her intent looking. He had never once felt unsure of himself around a mortal but this particular one had a sort of knowledgeable air about her that he couldn’t quite shake off. Not to mention he could feel the touch of a lesser God upon her. This lioness was certainly an interesting puzzle.

“You look troubled.” the old lioness spoke softly. “Every time I’ve met someone of your type it’s always had a reason. I know that there isn’t anything that I need or want so it must be you who is needing something from me.” She smiled then. A warm, motherly smile that oddly enough caused Baku to relax.

“I don’t know what a mortal such as yourself can do for a God.” He grumbled out. “You’re practically fodder at this point. I’d much rather have my qualms dealt with by someone of more...worthiness.”

“With age comes wisdom and I can tell you that even though I may not live the life you Gods do I’ve lived quite a lot in the short life that I’ve had. Sometimes I think you Gods forget to live because of your long life and instead just pass the long days and years by merely observing us lower mortals.” She quirked an eyebrow at him.

Baku huffed. “With an endless life there is no need to rush.”

“Ah, but wouldn’t it make life more interesting to be more involved?” She responded.

Baku glared at her and didn’t say anything right away in response. Part of him couldn’t believe he was here actually talking to a mortal on...somewhat even ground and not wanting to do something cruel to her. Maybe it was her age, her demeanor, or the fact he knew she’d been touched by another, but she intrigued him. After all it was odd that he should meet her here when he was seeking out counsel from another and had not even noticed her moving across the sands when he first arrived. So Baku decided to do something he never did. He engaged her in mutual conversation.

“Life has different ways of being interesting. It all depends on the being living it.” He ruffled his leathery wings a moment before joining the female in a sitting position. His own tail lay behind him, the white tufted end beating the ground gently.

“That is so very true.” Smiling she dipped her head. “I am Kinja by the way.”

“Baku, the God of Nightmares.”

His name and domain didn’t even cause Kinja to blink. “So what brings the God of Nightmares out to the land of Finar-si?” She asked quietly. Though the pride had abandoned the belief of Finar-si, Kinja never really did. Oh, she was far from one of the fanatical followers that wanted to bring back active worship of the Goddess. Instead she just quietly acknowledged the Goddess within her own self and never spoke of her to anyone.

Baku was almost not surprised that the old lioness knew of Finar-si. Almost. But he didn’t let his surprise show. “I was seeking her council. There’s been a rather abrupt change in my life and I wished to consult her about it.”

“Well I may not be Finar-si but I can try to help you.” The old lioness was genuinely interested in helping the God. It was the Gods after all that had helped her become the lioness she was. So much had happened in her life some bad but most good and she was more than willing to return the favor. “If you would like that is?”

The tip of his tail stopped beating the golden sand as he shifted his gaze from Kinja to the moon. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes as he fought an internal battle with himself. But his need for knowledge was greater than his need to be holier-than-thou with the lioness. “I’ve found myself a Goddess that has...created some odd feelings for me. I now want to be within her presence as much as possible and be damned with whatever anyone else may think. I am uncomfortable with this shift in emotions.”

Despite herself Kinja chuckled softly. Baku’s gaze shifted back to the lioness with a glare.

“I am sorry.” She said with a knowing smile on her face. “But I think you may be seeking the wrong Goddess. I know what you’re feeling all too well. If you aren’t around her you’re constantly thinking about her and worrying about her. Just being in her presence make you completely happy and content. You respect her beyond anything else and just want to make her happy no matter what it takes.”

Baku stared blankly at her. How could this….this mortal possibly know all of that?

The look on Baku’s face was more than enough to confirm her thoughts. “It’s called love. What you’re experiencing is the need to be with this Goddess because you have strong emotional feelings for her. I guess your domain, being of a eh...unloving nature, has made this concept a bit hard for you to understand. But I am thinking that you may have found yourself a mate.”

Baku felt extremely uneasy with those words. He knew little...no...nothing about love. She was right, it wasn’t something he ever experienced. He was a God who took pleasure from pain not from feelings of goodness. It was all so strange and unsettling and made him feel somewhat insecure because deep down he knew she was right.

Kinja sat there and waited. She watched as a series of emotions flitted across Baku’s eyes. Truthfully he was an open book to her. And she knew that at this point he needed time to think over it all because she had just pulled from the depths of his soul the thing he knew was true but hadn’t wanted to acknowledge. So she rose to her paws.

“I don’t know if this meeting was by coincidence or some other entity willed it to happen, but I wish you the best of luck. If you ever wish to see me again, you know where to find me.” With another gentle, motherly smile the lioness turned and walked back in the direction she had come from. Slowly disappearing amongst the shadows of the moon’s glow.

Baku didn’t even watch her leave. He heard her words but instead sat there and inwardly assessed himself. There was so much to think about and ponder over. So many doubts. One thing he was certain though, the words she spoke had struck home and now he needed to do some soul searching within himself before seeking out his dear Afriti.

Word count: 1712