Three cubs?! Three! Oh Xabryel could not have been happier. Of course it had been a surprise to discover his little cheetah friend was going to have his cubs, but not an unwelcome one. The lion was now a fixture in his friend’s little family, busying himself with his cubs, hunting for both them and his own family, as well as still taking to his duties as his Aunt’s second in command. It was demanding work that often left him too tired in the evenings to lift even his head. That never stopped him from gushing over his little ones. It never would.

There was an unease within Safi. Ever since Isith had decided to make Xabryel her second it had brought the white leopon nothing, but grief. His son was nothing more than an immature cub playing Prince. The boys skills in battle were stupendous, as they should be, but his heart was far too soft for the position. Xabryel would break under the pressure, and with him so would the entire family.

Moving closer to his son, Safi found himself looking up to the boy. He didn’t like that Xabryel had surpassed him in height; it made serious conversations laughable. “Should you still be patrolling so late? You were up before me, and the bags under your eyes are starting to look like bruises.”

Turning to his father, the large lion just smiled, making the scar on his lower lip stand out. “Oh, I’m used to it. I took so much time off to be with Aynashi and the cubs that I have a lot of catching up to do.” And in truth, Xabryel was worried. One day her family would move on, as would his and they would be separated. The thought of losing his friend was saddening, but not as damaging as the thought that his cubs might be distanced from him. He wanted to make the most of the time he had.

“You’ve got that look – the grumbly one- so I’m guessing this isn’t just a social call?”

Shaking his head, the white leopon moved and led them to a secluded little patch in the briars. They wouldn’t be able to hide because of their bright pelts, but at least it might muffle their voices. What he had to say would embarrass the boy, which in turn would be seen as treason to Isith’s reign. It wasn’t going to be easy.

“Xabryel, what are you doing? You and I both know you are unfit for the position of Second. Just because Isith asked it of you didn’t mean you had to accept; be smart for once and step down.”

Whatever good nature Xabryel had washed out of him in an instant. His brows furrowed from beneath his indigo mane, showing the hurt he felt so deeply. “What are you talking about? I took the position because I felt that I was ready. Isith has trained me my entire life for this, and so has grandfather. He was the one who ultimately approved of her decision, so maybe you should be having this talk with him.”

They both knew that would never happen. Safi would rather put bamboo under his claws than to stand against Abrafo, and Xabryel couldn’t blame him. The male was a pillar of aggression. “Why can’t you just trust that I know what I’m doing?”

Safi bristled. “Because you never do,” he hissed. “You run head long into things and barely stop to look where your paws are going.” Hadn’t he just had this talk with Xabryel’s daughter? The fruit does not fall far from the tree. “You have a lot of passion, and that isn’t a bad thing, but letting it lead you will only get us all killed.”

Shaking his head, Safi continued, “It isn’t enough that you know how to fight or that you have father’s favor. You have to be able to judge what is best for everyone, and not just what feels right for the moment.”

“That’s rich, coming from you.” Xabryel snorted. “Do you even remember what my mother looked like? I doubt you would even know I existed if the Amazons had kept their sons.” Moving closer, the younger lion seemed to loom over his father, and it was in that instant that he looked like a younger, brighter Abrafo. “When grandfather passed over you to Isith we all knew you wouldn’t take it well. But do you want to know why he did it? She’s stable. She doesn’t let her insecurities rule her, and she knows what she has to do to get the job done.”

Narrowing his gaze, Xabryel continued, “Grandfather told me about Cari’s mom. The cheetah that broke your heart. I’m sorry that it ended up that way, and I’m sorry you hate being a hybrid, but damn it dad, how long are you going to let that drag you down? You’re a father – a grandfather!- so start acting like it. It isn’t enough that you raised us; I love you, and always will. But let’s face it; if you spent half the time you take to chase tail and actually did something productive then maybe Grandfather would think of you as something more than a spoiled lay about.”

He was stunned speechless. There was truth in his son’s words and it didn’t settle well with the white leopon. “You’re right. I don’t remember what your mother looked like, and the only reason I know her name is because it’s the same as Isith’s mate’s.” Safi saw the way that Xabryel cringed. At one point Lulu had been his mate as well, but all good things must come to an end. “And yeah, so what if I didn’t take it well? All I heard growing up was how I was supposed to be just like dad and then the demon attacked.” That lioness…he had almost died that night because of her, and it had changed everything. “’Don’t do that Safi, you’re too weak’, ‘let me get that for you’; he did nothing, but pamper me and now he hates what I’ve become?! What a ******** joke!”

Safi was seething now. Nothing he did was going to amount to s**t in his father’s eyes. “I’ve raised six cubs on my own, and you have the gall to tell me I haven’t done enough? I never ran out on you Xabryel, and when I did go out it was only after your mane had fully grown in.” He was so angry now that he was shaking. How he wanted to reach out and strangle his son, but the damn paternal bond kept him from doing it.

“You’ve got a whole ******** family to help you raise three cubs. The world is laying out for you, but was it there for me? I thought my cubs were going to starve before I found the Koti. I pray you never know how terrifying that is.” And now he had his two youngest; both leopon girls, birthed by different mothers and they depended solely upon him. His family was there – now – but Safi was distancing himself from them more and more. Now he had snapped. “As of tomorrow you and the rest of this s**t hole of a family won’t happen to worry about the lay about son. I’m taking your sisters and we’re leaving – for good.”

What was he to say when he could see so much pain pouring from his father? Xabryel wanted to coddle him but the time for that was past. There was nothing that he could do for the leopon now. “If that’s how you want to end things, then you’ll find the way open for you, but it’s one way. You either leave now, alone, or if you so much as touch those girls I’ll break all of your legs.”

When Safi was about to refute, Xabryel bellowed, “YOU WILL NOT HAVE THEM.” The sounds of nearby family members came to an abrupt halt; all eyes were turned to the pair now. “Laini and Banafrit will not suffer because you do. When, and if, you have cleared your mind then you may see them again. Until then they will remain in my care.”

Moving away from his father, Xabryel gave him one last, hard look. “When I was younger I thought you were the Sun, but now I see you are just a star that has died out a long time ago.” Then turning his eyes away he walked back to the family.

This wasn't how Safi wanted to end things, but Xabryel was giving him no choice. If he went to see his daughter's now then that would just start a fight with his son, or worse, his sister.

Taking one last look at his family, the white leopon took off at a run through the tall grass. He passed by a stunned Iratze, and the look on his niece's face was enough to break him. Would his girls be the same when they found out that their father, the only parent in their world, was gone?

You'd better take care of them, Xabryel.