Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:21 pm
User Image

Tension was high, and it wasn't just the general tension of the Tree, but particular worries that weighed upon the dappled Faun's mind. Pacing restlessly in his abode, he turned the thoughts over in his head. There were risks, with the new rules in place, but...he couldn't just sit here. His worries wouldn't let him rest until he knew.

Of course, he understood the concerns and extra precautions around the Tree, considering what had already happened. And news from afar added more weight to the Faun Chieftain's already heavy burdens. Still...it was hard enough to hear the confirmations that the explosion had come at the hands of a demon Pae'il. But to hear that those who lived in the City above had celebrated such an event?

It had been hard to believe, but perhaps plausible that one individual could have carried out such an act...heinous and horrible...but only one troubled individual, not an entire race. But for so many to go along with it...have encouraged and celebrated such an act... Could the Chieftain be right? Could he have been right all along? That they never should have trusted these Blood Pae'il, these savages who held no respect for the Earth and its Spirits...

Faroth shook his head, dispelling the dark thoughts. It couldn't be...they couldn't all be like that! Could the Chief's information be false? Not that he didn't trust Rais, of course, but perhaps his intel was bad. Someone else lying and spreading false information. But why?

It all made his head hurt to think about at length. Grand political matters were not his forte. All Faroth knew was that no matter what whispers he heard, his heart, despite the lingering ache, could not equate these things as true, given what he'd seen with his own eyes. This is why he tried to stay out of big important things. He could only deal with the immediate problems in front of his face, things more at his level, something he could actually have an impact on and do something about.

From what he'd heard whispered through the Tree, confirmed by some of the guards, the one who had actually been seen attacking the Tree was a male demon, colored blue and silver. The vague description had turned Faroth's veins to ice until further details had come to light. Something about curved, curling markings, like barbed briers. More info had provided a name: Raken. Not that the name meant anything to him personally, but not recognizing it had been a relief actually.

Still, as on edge as some of the hunters and rangers were, Faroth had to wonder how many would bother to get a name before drawing their bows...

The additional news of dangers to the south in the Quiet Woods normally patrolled by the demi-goddess, Silvana, only added to his concern. How much of this news would reach others outside the Tree? He knew that Kane had frequented the area in the past...did he still do so? He should be warned, even if he didn't. Best he likely stay away for a while anyway. At least until the hunters eventually found this 'Raken' demon, so there'd be no risk of mistaken identity.

This new curfew was a great concern...but he'd made the trip swiftly in the past. Within a day if he pushed himself and got an early start. The sun should be coming up soon. If he set out immediately when the restrictions were lifted at daybreak, he should make it back by sunset. Of course, he also had Celestia to worry about, as well as the boys. He couldn't tell her where he was going...he could try to leave a note, something innocent to keep her worries at bay until he returned. Just in case. Well, if he could find enough words to leave anything that made sense, anyway.

Finding a scrap of parchment and a quill, he pondered before scratching out a few rough, shaky runes.

Gone for run.
Healer's orders.
Back later.

That should do it. It would serve as a good excuse to the morning guard as well. Best to keep his fibs in line, as horrible as he was at lying. Glancing around, he realized he couldn't pack anything to take with him. It'd look suspicious if he was just going out for a short run for exercise. Guess this was it then. He left the scrap of parchment lying in the center of the table and exited his abode to head down towards the main door.

The early morning light was just creeping over the horizon as he reached the guarded portal. With a friendly nod to the guard, he noted the expressionless stare he got in return. He didn't know this Faun, but swallowed his nerves and gave him a smile before nodding outside. "Going for a bit of a jog." He paused, gesturing down to the sizable scar decorating his outer thigh. Still notably fresh. "Healer's orders, gotta' start building the strength back up again." The guard glanced down, taking in the injury, then only nodded, waving him through the open gate. Feeling some of the tension ease from his shoulders, Faroth offered a wave of his own before jogging out into the cool morning air. The rising sun had yet to banish the mists from the night before and just this brisk pace was more than he'd done in some time. This had been the first time he'd been outside since before the blast. The air felt so crisp and clean, he felt he could run forever. Good, he might need that.

He kept a light jogging pace for some time, then risked a glance over his shoulder. Once he left sight of those at the entrance of the Tree, he turned his path towards the bridge and broke into a full sprint.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:04 pm
The Tree's healers did good work. Faroth managed to keep up a regular pace in crossing the Isle. If he kept this up and kept on schedule, and didn't spend too long at his destination, perhaps he'd manage to make it back by nightfall as planned. As it was, he was keeping a pace well above that most Pae'il could manage, at least those on land, keeping up a steady run for most of the morning. He was also making use of every shortcut he knew of to shorten the distance between him and his destination. The going had to slow somewhat when he entered the jungles, but he was making good time.

It was somewhere shortly after midday, still somewhere at what should be lunch time, when a familiar home entered his view. He hadn't been here in sometime, but with events as they were, he wasn't sure when he'd get a chance to do so again. He'd best make the most of this with what little time he had. Knocking briefly at the door, he waited only a moment before pushing the door open to call within, knowing the inhabitant would excuse him his rudeness. "Takeko? You here? Anyone else here?"

User Image

It was not the angel he'd called for, but a different female who peered questioningly from the kitchen in response to his calls. "Faroth? What are you--? Could you keep it down please?" She brushed some flour from her hands on a towel, then left the kitchen to deal with the unexpected guest. "Do you really need Gramma? She had kind of a rough night and is lying down finally. Could I help you instead?"

The sight of the nymph come to welcome him was relieving, but he was puzzled by her request. Had he been that loud, coming in? Wait...what was wrong with Takeko? He hadn't been around in a while, but...was everything alright here? "I...it's kind of important. I just needed to speak to her for a moment. And you and your father if he's around. Is...is everything alright here?" He may not have been the most observant of Faun, but...it was hard to miss the circles under the poor nymph's eyes. She was under some kind of visible stress. Had something already happened?

Vika frowned, seeming to consider this for a moment before answering. "Well...I was going to check with her shortly anyway, see if she was going to eat something. I'll go wake her. And I think Dad was out with the boys again...but they shouldn't be far. I could go find them?" She hadn't answered his last question, but she wasn't sure it was her place to.

"If you could, that'd be great." She wasn't the only one showing visible signs of anxiety, given how he was shifting from one hoof to another, as if eager to get moving again, despite the distance he'd already covered this morning. He noticed her frowning at him again, but was relieved when she nodded and moved towards the hall leading to the bedrooms.  

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Seruta

Sexy Believer

15,150 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Party Animal 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:11 pm
User Image

Twinkletoes sighed. She hated being restricted to the tree's branches. So many noises... too many voices echoing from within. The shuffling of hooves, the stampeding clip-clopping of smaller hooves playing tag indoors due to the restrictions their fearless leader refused to drop even a little. It was almost exhausting just to listen to it all.

She was thankful he was at least kind enough to allow her to stay out among the branches, however. She shuddered to think what she'd be doing indoors now that her hearing had returned. Huddling under her bed with pillows shoved so far down into her ears she'd be sneezing feathers, most likely...

Her stomach gave a small grumble and she was instantly reminded that she needed to eat at some point. There were some tasty looking tubers nearby... She licked her lips then at the thought and spread her wings, dropping down a few branches to let one of the guards know of her intention before venturing into the treeline... you know, in case her father were to come looking for her...

A few branches above them, she heard them talking and perked her ears forward. Someone was leaving the tree? Odd... they seemed to be alone...

'Hey...' she thought to herself. 'Isn't that.... Oh, that kid Moony always hung around with... Ranuin? Wasn't that Ranuin's dad?' She tilted her head as he started jogging off. He hadn't used that excuse before... but of course, she didn't guard the front quite as often... what would she know, right?

Still... It was obvious he was still wounded from the attack to their tree. He shouldn't be exercising the injury on his own, at the very least. She steered her course away from the guards this time, dropping down a bit away from them to follow Faroth as he seemed to do just that... Father did remind her earlier that week that everyone should at least have a partner with them at all times when leaving the tree. Well... In a sense, she considered herself his partner... and he hers! Even though he was completely unaware that she was even there.

The small thrill of new adventure nearly left her from boredom the further from the tree he got. Maybe he was just going for a quick run... She frowned a bit, but then he veered, heading towards the bridge.... Oooorrrr maybe he needed a little adventure too? Well - there was definitely no harm in following him. Who knew?! Maybe he would need help getting back home...

She followed him for some time, keeping herself at a safe distance to not be discovered. If she ever were to lose sight of him, she at least continued to hear and smell him. 'Yano... for an injured dude, he can run quite a while without feeling the effects...' she only mildly grumbled before she came around a few shrubs to see him approaching a house.

She immediately ducked, taking shelter in the foliage and watched as he entered the home. Is this where he lived when he wasn't at the tree? If so, why'd he knock before letting himself in?

Didn't he and Ranuin live outside the tree most of the time? Or were her facts all screwed...? How long was he going to be in there, anyway? More questions began to flow from her mind as she sat in the bushes... watching.... waiting....... !!

There was movement again! She peered through the green and...!! She gasped... A Blood Pae?! Why was a Blood Pae here?!

Her momentary panic kept her rooted a moment as the Blood Pae left, taking off in flight in the other direction.

'So...' Her heart was racing... 'Was he in league with them?' She didn't know what to do. She didn't know what he was doing, but something about all this didn't sit right with her...

She didn't want to stay and find out either!

She held her breath a moment. The flying one was further away now... she could barely hear its wings anymore... and it didn't sound like Faroth was walking back towards the door. She took the chance to break away, turning back the way she came and eventually sprinting further from the house.

The word traitor began ringing through her mind... However, she also didn't want to believe it. His son was really good friends with Moony. Moony trusted Ranuin. Probably more so than she trusted herself.

Still.... Him even being near a Blood Pae willingly was worthy enough to be reported....

Her running slowed to a stop. She was lost... Growling, she stomped her hoof, immediately regretting the action, but swiftly looking upwards. The trees were far enough apart.... She took flight. Once above the trees, she easily spotted Laisidhiel. She turned quickly, making sure the Blood Pae wasn't anywhere in sight before darting off towards the tree....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:16 pm
User Image

After Vika had re-emerged and nodded to Faroth before heading out the door to go find her father, a sleepy angel followed in her wake. Rubbing her eyes and pulling her disheveled hair back into a loose ponytail, Takeko blinked sleepily and tried to greet an old friend with a smile. It was forced. "Faroth...honey. What brings you out here after so long?'

With a twinge of guilt, Faroth realized just how long it had been since he'd last visited. The angel's appearance had driven that point home more than her words. He could see her weariness in the lines on her face, the dark areas below her eyes. This was more than just missing a night's sleep. What...what had happened here? He moved to her side, holding out an arm for support to walk her to a seat. "Sorry I haven't visited. It's just...a lot going on and--" Helping her sink into a seat, he took another nearby looking concerned. "Is everything alright here? First, Vika and now you..."

Taking the seat gratefully, the angel sunk into the cushions wearily. No, everything was definitely not alright here. However, where did she start? Faroth hadn't even had a chance to meet her new little one. He didn't even know Vika's children yet. It had been a very long time since he'd last visited. And she wasn't ready to reopen those wounds so soon after waking.

"Not exactly," she admitted, then shook her head. "But, later. Vika said that you came here for something important. We can talk about that first."

Faroth hesitated. It bothered him to know something serious might be going on in the angel's family that he had no knowledge of. But, at the same time...he was on a time limit. After biting his lip for a moment, he nodded and began to explain. "I don't know if you've heard any news about the Great Tree lately? Especially anything in the last season or two?" When she shook her head and seemed puzzled, he nodded. "That's...sort of what I expected. I suppose that's a good thing...but I just...I worried about you all maybe getting accidentally caught up in it and wanted to make sure..." He took a deep breath, then began to explain what had happened, from the explosion and the demon attacker, to the strange dangers in the southern forest...  

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:50 pm
The story Faroth brought from the Tree was almost too much to be believed. However, what reason would he have had for making up such a horrible story? And the proof showed in that horrible still-healing scar on his leg. Takeko wrung her hands as the story finished, shaking her head. "Faroth, dear...if all this is true, you've taken an awful risk coming here. Do you really think you should have left at a time like this?"

That...hadn't been exactly the response he'd expected, yet...he supposed it was true enough. He balked, looking down. "I...I don't know. Maybe not. I just...I couldn't just sit there and worry about you all. If such things are happening there, there's no telling what else might be happening. And I know Kane's been to that southern forest before. I just wanted to make sure...I mean, it might be a good idea to avoid the area for a while..."

The first hint of a genuine smile since he'd been here touched her expression. Takeko reached up to pat the poor boy's cheek. "You have a good soul, Faroth. But you don't have to worry so much about us. It sounds like you have enough to worry about on your own right now."
User Image
The front door opened and the pair turned to see Vika re-enter followed by Kane. The tiger-striped demon took in the scene at a glance and without wasting time, said, "The boys are just outside. What's going on?"

Faroth started to open his mouth to reply when Takeko waved a hand to shush him. "You need to get back to the Tree, honey. I'll tell them what you told me. Don't worry, we'll steer clear until we get word that things are safe again. Now you get back before you're missed, okay?"

He would have argued, but he had nothing to counter that. Instead, he nodded and embraced the angel. "Thanks. I'll send word somehow when things have cooled down again. Until then, keep safe, all of you." As he turned to go, he caught a questioning look from Kane, but just shrugged and glanced back at Takeko in answer. Within a moment, he finished his goodbyes and exited through the door. He paused for a moment, staring at the two teenage boys lounging outside, then put on a smile and waved to them before dashing off through the jungle towards home.

Kane stood silent as the faun made his exit, then turned a raised eyebrow on the remaining women. "Someone wanna' fill me in on why the kid was injured?"  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:06 pm
Though he hated to leave so soon, Faroth knew well the sun was already starting to sink in the sky. He had little time to spare. He'd spent longer talking to Takeko than he'd first planned, and though he would have liked to share the warning with Kane himself, he'd trust the angel to pass along all that he'd told her. A brisk trot turned into a steady run as the land leveled out, emerging from the forest onto the open farming plains south of the lake.

The sun warmed the land below, including the running Faun whose thoughts kept him busy on his journey. So, he'd warned Kane and Takeko and family to keep away. That should keep them from any danger, from his people or otherwise. He hated to think of it like that, but with how on edge some of the guards seemed these days, even he had trouble not flinching at their gaze. Even when he had no reason to do so.

His thoughts kept him preoccupied; he kept running without acknowledging the slow-building ache in his leg. Only when a sudden sharp pain made him stumble, nearly sending him tumbling into the dirt did he fall out of his thoughts and back into the present. Son of a-- Grimacing, he did an awkward sort of hop, favoring his healthy leg while staggering to a stop. He glared down at the scar as if the action might will it to behave. Not now...I don't have time for this!

Wincing, he resumed limping slowly, as any movement was still movement. Now what? He couldn't continue like this? There's no way he'd make it back in time now! Not if he didn't do something. The lake was just north of here. Favoring his good leg, he adopted a half hopping sort of pace and shifted his path towards the beach.

He could feel the time slipping away as he was reduced to this slow pace, but there wasn't much he could do unless he could get his leg to cooperate for a bit longer. Reaching the beach, he carefully waded into the shallows until he could at least take a seat with his leg fully immersed. "Come on, you...just a little longer. Just 'til we get back, alright? Then, I'll take a few days off and take it easy, promise." He grumbled under his breath while massaging the aching muscle. Still some damage there, he supposed. The cool water was soothing at least, and the focused massage slowly started to relieve the pain and tension. Just a little longer. He just had a little further to go. The repeated thoughts did little to ease the anxiety building in his gut as the sun slipped lower in the sky.

As soon as he could climb to his hooves again without ending up face-first in the surf, he was off again, though he kept close to the shore this time for as long as he could before he had to turn away towards the Tree. The sky was red, deepening to purple by the time he reached the bridge. His pace was noticeably slower than usual and the ache persisted, though it was manageable for now. So close; could he make it by curfew?

The sun itself had sunk below the horizon by the time he came limping up to the Tree's entrance. There was still light in the sky, however. Perhaps...he'd made it? He could play it off as trouble with his leg...though, that was true enough really, he supposed. Aiming a sheepish grin at the nearest guard, he waved a hand in greeting, the other clutching his thigh. "Heh...sorry for cutting it close there. I--"

"He's back! Get him!"

Faroth's eyes widened in surprise and before he could fully process what was going on, he'd been grabbed from behind, his hands twisted behind him, his chest roughly shoved into the wall. He didn't think before reacting. As soon as he was shoved into the wall, he braced his footing and relying mostly on his healthy leg, pushed back against his attacker. Even recovering from his injury, he still had more than an average Faun's strength to throw around. He broke free for a moment, taking the guard by surprise, before more joined him. Realizing what he'd done caused him to falter as well. He didn't want to fight...what was going on?!?

Whirling to face his attackers, Faroth held his hands up. "Wait! There's been some mistake! Please, stop!" He found no mercy in the glares that awaited him.

"There's no mistake. In the name of Laisidhiel, you have been found suspect of treason against her people and will be taken into custody until such time as your innocence can be proven."

It could have been the run here on an injured leg...but the words nearly caused Faroth's legs to buckle. No...no...I can't... "Please...there's been some mistake...please, don't do this..." He didn't fight this time as a guard approached him on either side, taking his arms. They didn't seem to want to take any chances with him breaking free this time; one of them waved over a nearby Geomancer to summon earth to bind his wrists together behind his back before they led him into the Tree under guard.

[TO BE CONTINUED]

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
:[ The Fifth Age ]:

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash