User ImageUser Image

The sun had set. The North's air was chilly, as typical by this time of year. Soon enough the Winter Festival would be upon the pride and there would be many young faces looking towards their superiors and the North's noble family for promotions and to help garner some amount of fame. Though they would be hardpressed to exceed the sudden rise in rank and fame that the Duke's fast-becoming good friend had received. Everyone in nearly all the houses had surely heard of it, but the tale was beginning to fade from the tongues of the common folk and the noble's meal talk.

The faded teal lion moved with some fair amount of grace over the rocky terrain of the North, searching for the Captain who had been occupying his mind for some time. Kito had taken their last hunting game hard due to him accidentally killing a young antelope and since then the two hadn't spoken. Then when he had gone looking for him in the week prior, he had only found that the Captain had left for the Central House, at the Emperor's request no less!

Bright green eyes lit up as he spotted his prize sitting alone along the edge of a cliffside.

"You know, you had me worried."

Thrain visibly jumped at the sudden voice that broke the silence that he become used to. His head did not turn to look at the speaker though. He knew that voice by now. "Good evening Duke Shan."

"I told you, don't be so formal with me. Your rank is nearly the same as mine!" A good laugh caused the older male's body to jiggle slightly. "But I know you. You should be in bed, resting to rise early to train. What has your mind so occupied that you stay up so late? Did you want to watch the sun rise with me?" Kito teased playfully as he approached his friend, sitting close beside him. Idly, he let his eyes and head raise to look toward the moon. It wasn't full yet, but soon.

"I...I don't know if I can talk about it..." The Captain looked away, almost ashamed. Of course he hadn't spoken of his doubts to the Emperor, how could he?! He had accepted the offer to travel to the Pridelands and train their new soldiers. It was unlikely many of his birth pride knew how to fight and if they did, how well could they formally fight? Could they kill another if they needed to? Somehow he doubted even the veterans from the pride's last war could have killed anything other than a hyena.

"What, about you going to the Pridelands?"

Obviously that question shocked Thrain as he raised his head quickly, looking into the Duke's green eyes with an intensity that Shan had never seen before. "Carefule now, captain. The North's nobles know, well I know. I can't say the same for my brother, but I assume he was informed as well. We'll be missing our Captain for some time, of course we'd be told." How exactly he had come to find out about this bit of information would be a secret that Kito would not be quick to share. Another time perhaps. "Now, why are you still awake?"

Reining himself in, Thrain sighed heavily as if a breath he had been holding all day was finally let out. "I'm just worried." With a sadness, his head turned to look back out over the North. "As you know, I'm from the Pridelands. I'm just concerned about what might have changed." A pause allowed him time to think on his next words before finally speaking again. "If I've changed."

Despite the seriousness, Kito laughed.

"Of course you've changed and of course your homeland has changed. That is how life progresses, through change. We would not be who we are today without it. I have watched you progress from a simple guard into one of the finest captains the North has ever seen and you're still going. You have matured as well, but that could be attributed to the harsh reality of our lives here. Still, you have impressed not only me, remember that." There was a grin on the Duke's mouth as he let his voice fade from the air around them.

"I...I had not thought about it in that way. You shame me with your insight where I had none. Your wisdom is always appreciated, Shan." Both of Thrain's ears fell back, his face burning with heat as he thought heavily on the Duke's helpful words. He had always been a friend, from the moment the two had met and it was something that he appreciated immensely, especially now.

"As for your home, I would prepare for some shock. Large changes may have occurred and I know that the messages between the Pridelands and the Tianxia have not been as frequent as they once were. Hopefully your arrival will change that and strengthen our bond with whatever task the emperor has given you. Regardless of your home's change, you are still you. That has not changed."

Rising from his spot beside the captain, Kito looked out to the dark sky and shook out his mane. "Now, if you'd excuse me captain, I have a lovely lioness who would likely love breakfast in bed. I'm sure we would love to have you for afternoon tea though. You are more than welcome to join us."

"Tea?" Thrain chuckled as he looked up towards him. "Did you really just ask me if I wanted to come have tea with you and your wife?"

That was the guard-turned-captain that Kito knew and admired. Not some downtrodden pile of fur, but a playful, yet somewhat serious and proud lion who many looked up to when aspiring to become more. "Of course! I found this lovely hot spring and well...we're making the most of it. I am completely serious though. Your company would be appreciated, especially since I will not be able to enjoy it for quite a while. Now...I wish you a good night, captain Tie Shi." A dip of his head and the Duke was gone back into the darkness of the night, leaving Thrain alone with his thoughts.

It wasn't for several more hours of long thinking that he too finally retired for the night to the warmth of the inside of a den instead of the chill of the open.

[word count: 1078]