Iara still couldn’t believe it. Rumors had spread of a new lioness joining the Bahari, but the healer was still in doubt. Even if the lioness matched how she looked or that Zephyr had seemed shifty about the subject Iara was afraid. What if she was believing too soon and that her heart would only be crushed even more? After losing Poseidon the petite lioness had taken to staying dedicated to her craft. It took all of her will power to just keep smiling for her cubs and the rest of the family that she had created here. The empty spot left by her sisters was one that she had accepted long ago…so why did they have to resurface now? Was it a cruel fate to tear open another old hole in her heart when a fresh one was still bleeding?

But if she was so afraid then why did she keep moving forward?

A beautiful sunrise. Naiya had brushed gently past the sleeping Ramiz to view the ocean’s beauty. It had felt like years since she had been alongside the water that she loved the most and to see it here in the Bahari was breath taking. Finding out about Zaid had been another blessing in her life as well…the lioness flushed. Not that it bothered her that Ramiz may have continued on his journey to find his brother without her. Not at all…right? Still now that worry was gone since Ramiz had decided to settle here as well with his brother. Her heart felt so much lighter. Another worry though was gnawing at the lioness…was this really the right path to take? But the feeling that this ocean, this very one, was key in finding her sister’s again kept the lioness hoping. Could it really be that after years of wandering their separate paths a reunion could happen? Zarya, Iara….I hope that the both of you are living well.

If only she knew….

The lioness found herself getting lost in her thoughts as the ocean waves continued to crash against the shore. It was almost like a picture with the lioness sitting so calmly on the sands as the light of the sunrise colored the ocean waves. Further up along the shore a similar lioness in colors was diving into the ocean. It wasn’t a deep dive though since her leg had been ruined by the tsunami, but a casual swim rather as she collected herbs that grow closer to the surface rather in the depths. Iara was trying her hardest to focus on her work so that even in the earliest of sunrises she was already out in the ocean. Talise had been a blessing to the older lioness who relied on her daughter to retrieve herbs that most wouldn’t dare to approach in the ocean depths. Still though Iara was determined to not solely rely on others for her own medicines and as such the easier herbs were always gathered by her.

But today’s dive held a surprise for her. Naiya had grown bored of just looking at the ocean and instead had decided that she would go for a swim. As the morning waves crashed down against the sands on a rare day of warmth in the late season two lions found themselves staring at each other in the waters. Surely it’s a trick of the mind. Iara’s gaze widened as she found herself staring in a pair of familiar violet eyes. Eyes that were her mothers’ and that still haunted her along with silver ones.

Bubbles left the others mouth in surprise and soon the two females were emerging on the sands. Naiya coughed up the seawater that she had inhaled as the older lioness limped on the beach back and forth. One moment Iara was moving forward the next she was taking a step back in confusion, “Na-naiya?” She whispered at the same time the other lioness finally spoke.

“So sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you…but you really look like a lioness that I…” It finally registered that the other lioness had spoken her name and she froze, “Ia-Iara?” Was it really her sister? After all this time apart…how could it be? But she couldn’t deny the lioness standing before her. Minus the limp it was the same Iara that she had left so long ago. The way she had spoken her name with the slight lilt and the way that she stood slightly to the side with her tail flicking out behind her…that was her sister. This…was her sister?

She couldn’t stand it anymore.

Rushing forward Naiya slung her paws around the other lioness, “Iara! It really really is you?”

Frozen Iara just fell to the sand with the other lioness embracing her, “Naiya…how did you get here? Is…is Zarya with you?” Slowly she looked around for their middle sibling, but frowned as she saw no one.

“No it’s just me.” Naiya sighed as she sat back, “After we left to the west she decided to go on her own as well. I told her that I was going to follow the ocean though and find a home.” The lioness shook her head, “I couldn’t stand not seeing the ocean. She might have been content with the rivers and water holes, but not me!” Her gaze was watery, “Despite things…I missed the shore too much.”

Iara’s own heart clutched as she remembered the mother and the tragedy leading to their separation, “The past is the past I suppose then.” If only Zayra had been here as well…still seeing Naiya was like a light, “What matters now is the present. Are you traveling through or?”

The smaller lioness shook her head quickly, “Nope! I’m here to stay….are you…”

Iara nodded, “Yes this has been my home for a while now.”

“Wow.” Naiya smiled brightly, “The seer told me that following the ocean song could get me home, but I never realized…it meant back to you as well. I’ve missed you Iara.” Her gaze was brimming with tears as she laid her head against her sister’s shoulder, “I’m so sorry….I should have never left you or Zayra.”

Closing her eyes Iara leaned her head against her sibling’s, “It’s alright, Naiya. I’m just glad to see you are still alive and well. We have a lot of catching up to do though.”

“Oh I know! SO much…just let me tell you…”

Iara laughed at her sister’s enthusiasm.

Maybe, just maybe the hole in her heart was going to be filled again after all…

(1085 WC)