Welcome to Gaia! ::

Soquili Era

Back to Guilds

Tags: soquili, horses, breedable pets, pet horses, familiars 

Reply Open/Private Canon IC RP
[PRP] Training the Mind (Betula x Banyan)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sbuggy166

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:03 pm
User Image

Betula Sat at the cliffs edge over looking the valley below. There was a slight breeze that played with his hair and danced through his branching antlers. It was such a perfect day and he felt nothing but peaceful and calm. Every once and a while he saw movement in the valley below, but he did not move or run. Other soquili made their way through these parts often and today there was no danger near by. Betula had scouted the area before he decided to sit and take a break.

Kagali and he had decided that this was the best place to raise their foals. Their higher vantage point gave them plenty of time to react to danger and escape to the other side of the valley. It was a lush place with mild summers and rainy winters. From the highest mountain the ocean could be seen, but from their part of the forest the ocean view was hidden by lower hills and tall trees. One day they would take the kids to the sea, but they where still too young.

Betula smiled to himself and thought what a perfect life he was living. He had the most beautiful mate whom he was able to trust and rely on. Together they had traveled far and wide and explored the world. Together they had carried out their professions and helped soquili along the way. Now, together they had a family. Two strong colts and a gorgeous filly. Each child had striking resemblances to their parents, but each was very unique from the other. Yes, he was truly a luck stag.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:48 pm
User Image

Banyan walked through the forest, his tail swishing back and forth. He was looking for his father, but could not seem to find him. He knew he should have payed more attention to his mother's stalking and tracking lessons. Those things really did not hold much interest for him though. He was more interested in what his father had to say. His father could do cool things to peoples minds. Not anything supernatural or strange, no but his father did have talent. Banyan wanted to know how his father did it. How did he make people feel at ease and so comfortable around him that people would spill their secrets out?

Growing up Banyan started to realize that people did not trust him. Sure his family was an exception, they did not treat him any differently than others. Sometimes though, sometimes he saw soquili that they passed in the woods stare at him. Others would scan their small family in passing, but their eyes would linger on him. some would even sneer or quickly look away only to glance a peek later when they thought he was not looking. Of course he saw them though. His parents have been teaching him lessons about observing others and about noticing small details, so of course he noticed their lingering glances.

He stumbled a bit on a rock that was on the small trail he was following. his tail flicked back and forth in annoyance. How was he supposed to be a master stalker if he could not even avoid running into a rock. How was he supposed to be a trusting person if people did not trust him from the vary moment that they layed eyes on him. Thus was the root of his annoyance.

Banyan walked until the trail ended at a cliffs edge. a bit further along the cliff sat Betula. Banyan's mood lightened a bit. He was glad that he was able to find his father, and he was alone. Maybe he could get his father to help him with his problem. After all Betula helped others...or at least Banyan thought so. He really had no idea what took place when soquili sought out his father. The kids were not allowed near the clearing were Betula worked. Something about it being for privacy reasons. Banyan shrugged and walked over to Betula.

sbuggy166

Dapper Dabbler

sbuggy166

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:59 pm

Betula listened to the sound of little hooves stepping on leaves in the forest behind him. He smiled as he recognized the tale tell swishing of Banyan's serpentine tail. Betula was not as good as tracking as Kagali, but he has picked up a few tricks since they have been together. The little hoove sounds stumbled and then continued. Betula smile, its not like Banyan was a super sneak, he was sure that anyone near by could hear the little colt tramping through the forest.

Banyan appeared from the trees and came next to Betula. Betula did not look at him or even acknowledge him. He simply continued to look out over the valley. He resisted the urge to chuckle as he pictured himself as the lord of the forest, with his white coat gleaming in the sun, and his branching antlers proud on his head. Betula had a coat that resembled the trees and it made him very easy to miss, but in this forest the trees where very green and Betula found that he did not simply blend in anymore.

Now, what could his son possible want with him? Betula was more then happy to spend time with his children, but Banyan was often very talkative and that was a trait that Betula did not quite understand. It must come from Kagali's family line because Betula was well known for being stoic and silent. Then again so is Kagali, so it must be from way back in the line, perhaps Kagali's Kalona father had been a talker, or even her mother perhaps. Sometimes life is a mystery.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:06 pm
Banyan stood there and stared at his father. When Betula made no move to acknowledge him he got annoyed. His father always did this, he just sat there and did not talk. Banyan wondered how his parents even liked each other half the time, it seemed like all they did was sit together and not talk. How was anyone supposed to communicate if they never talked. Oddly though they did seem to understand each other without speaking. Banyan would catch them glance at each other or slip in a smile and somehow that was how they talked. Banyan however did not like that at all. He was not so subtle as to be able to pick up on those things.

Finally Banyan gave in and starting ranting right into his father's ear. "Gahhhh, fine, if you are going to just sit there and ignore me then I will just sit here and talk until you get so fed up that you have to acknowledge me." He adjusted himself so that he was very close to Betula's face. He was still just a colt, so he stood eye level to Betula even though he was sitting and Banyan was standing.

"I actually came here to ask you about your secret place and about the soquili that you talk to and about what it is you do everyday while we stay with mother and you are gone. I know that you have a job or whatever to do and people bring us things and thank you a lot, but that is all i know."

sbuggy166

Dapper Dabbler

sbuggy166

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:41 pm

Betula listened very closely to everything the Banyan was saying. He did not however look at Banyan or accknowlege that he was listening. He could kind of grasp the gist of how this conversation was going to go. Banyan has something that was troubling him. Sure it sounded like all the colt really wanted to know was about his fathers job, but in acctuallity there was more. Years of listening and secret keeping had taught Betula what to listen for when someone had something bothering them.

Banyan had a strain in his voice, a very subtle undertone that told Betula that there was something on the colts mind that was different from the words leaving his mouth. Betula not only listened to the words, but the meaning of the words, and the mind behind the words. What was it that could be bothering his son? He resisted an urge to glance at Banyans long whiplike tail. He only guessed that it had something to do with the boys heritage. They had traveled a lot over the past few days and travels always lead to passing by others, and passing through strange lands. Their treck however had taken them through a more conservative part of the country side. Betula and Kagali had decided that in order to move to their new home land they had better avoid any trouble possible. After all they where traveling with three very small foals, almost newborns, at the time. They did not think, however, that most others would point and stare at their son in worry.

Sure Banyan had similar traits to a Kalona, but he had a heart of gold and a warm personality. Betula hoped that he could teach his son how to show others his heart before his hide. maybe he could teach him that lesson right now. Betula Sat and listened, and he would sit there as long as it would take for his son to learn the lesson.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:02 pm
Banyan waited for Betula to answer him. He became more and more annoyed when Betula did not answer. Hus father just sat there and looked out over the valley, was he even listening? Banyan let out a growl that was surprisingly deep for his size. He hated it when his father got like this. It was almost as if Betula was a tree himself, simply sitting there and soaking up the sun. Banyans growl continued as the silence stretched on. He could not take it, it was a simple question, why did his father have to be so stoic all the time? Why could he never just be straight forward and honest, and talk for heavens sake?!

Banyan had waited for an answer long enough, and it was becoming obvious that Betula would not answer. "Is this your answer?! Is this what you do in the forest?! do people come to you to simply have you ignore them and have you belittle them through your actions?" He was not yelling, but his voice was growing stringer and had an agitated edge to it. "If this is all you do then what a boring life you must lead. I thought that I wanted to maybe learn your job, but man it must be terribly boring. Maybe ill learn moms job after all. It may be long and tiresome, but at least no one would ever see me!"

That last statement had caught Banyan off guard and it caused him to pause for a moment and catch his breath. And Betula did not even flinch at any of his comments. He just sat there, getting fat.

sbuggy166

Dapper Dabbler

sbuggy166

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:10 pm

Banyans words did not hurt Betula at all, for Betula knew that he was speaking out of ignorance. This was all pat of the growing process. Banyan was mad, as obvious by the startling growl that had been emitted. Betula knew though that eventually Banyan would understand. Betula was a master of patience and that would come in great handy for this conversation.

Betula did ponder however on the sound of the little foals growl. It was ever so often that something like this would happen. A growl, or an insatiable hunger, little things that leaned towards the Kalona behavior. Kagali and Betula had promised to raise him as cerynei, and they would answer questions if they ever came up. Banyan never really was too curious about his heritage though, so when things like this happened it was further confirmation that Kalona blood ran through the colt's veins.

Betula continued to listen as his son started to rant about jobs, but it was still not what he really wanted to say. Then, it slipped out. Betula caught it, and Banyan seemed surprised to have said it. This was what Betula had been waiting for. So it really was something about heritage that the colt was bothered about. Sure he had not said it directly, but Betula was listening and he could hear Banyans heart through his words. Betula continued to listen. The heart of the matter had been revealed, but Banyan had still yet learned his lesson.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:24 pm
Banyan looked at his father to see if there was even a startle or even a slight movement, but as always he sat on looking over the cliff and into the valley.

"I dont want to go unseen though/ I dont want to wander through the woods following people like mother does. I want to walk with them and talk with them. You guys never talk and it drives me crazy, how can you ever learn anything if all you do is sit in silence." Banyan shook his head, his voice steadying a bit. "When im older i will not stay here and sit quietly with you guys. Im too young now, but when im big and strong, bigger than you even, I will leave and go talk to people. I will learn about them and talk to them and I will be more than just their listener, I will be their friend. You sit quietly as people talk, but i want to talk as well. Listening my help them, but it does nothing to help me. I will form a bind with them through words and conversation and understanding of each other that cannot be achieved through mere silence. Silence is for those who have something to hide, but i dont want them to hide it, i want them to fix it. One day I will have many friends and many people will look up to me and no one will let their eyes linger on my tail because they will be too focused on my face and on the words I am saying!"

Banyan's ranting had lead him to an epiphany. "That's right! Who will even notice or care about how i look when they are too busy listening to what i am saying and how i sound. They will be my friends and i can swish my tail all i want! Ha!"

Banyan had started pacing during his rant, but now he was looking at his father waiting to see if his epiphany had any effect on his father.

sbuggy166

Dapper Dabbler

sbuggy166

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:12 pm

Once again Betula had listened, and he had been entrusted with secrets. Banyan had no outright came to him for help, but help was what he got. Help is what most people get when they come to Betula. Banyan's secret insecurity about his heritage would always remain safe with Betula. He would not even tell Kagali. He was so proud of his son though. Banyan had on his own found a solution to his own problem. Betula still, however, made no move to acknowledge him. Banyan had come to learn the secret to Betula's art and ended up inadvertently finding answers to his problems. Banyan has however yet to learn his lesson.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:22 pm

Banyan stood there for almost five minutes and waited for a reply from his father, but none came. Banyan finally gave up and sighed. It was not worth it. Whether Betula acknowledged him or not no longer seemed important. Not compared to the self discovery he had just made. He was grateful to Betula though, something had happened that made Banyan spill his heart out. And he was grateful for his new drive and objective.

Banyan leaned forward and nuzzled his fathers head as a silent thank you and walked away. He really had no idea what had happened, but some how Betula had helped him without even saying a word.

"WAIT THATS IT!" Banyan had just stepped back into the forest when he realized the secret to his father's mind magic. "I get it! Dad I get it!" He ran back out to where his father was and was surprised to find him standing and smiling at him. Banyan pranced right up to Betula and like a waterfall released his learning. "I get what you do now! I'm still not sure how, but for some reason people feel good talking to you. They feel as if they can tell you anything, It's because you dont talk to them isnt it?! Your silence somehow makes them feel like they can rely on you to keep their secrets safe. No one would spill their guts to a blabber mouth!" Banyan smiled, proud of himself, for he had finaly come to understand his father and it was through an odd form of silent communication. He felt as if he understood everything a little bit more. Even his parents odd relationship seemed clearer to him.

sbuggy166

Dapper Dabbler

sbuggy166

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:29 pm

Betula let out a hearty laugh and nuzzled his son's head. The little one had finally learned his lesson. "I'm glad you finally understand. Not everything has to be expressed in words. Some of the most powerful emotions and meanings come from silent communication. Use this knowledge wisely and im sure that you will be able to make friends with everyone who crosses your path."

He found his son's desire to make friends quite admirable and was proud of his son's ambitions. He could teel that one day this little snake of a colt would grow into a fine stag that would have a great future. Betula looked forward to the day that he could look at his children's accomplishments and feel that parental sense of pride that seems to come with such things. "Go now and scamper back to your mother, she will be missing you, tha is if she isnt in a bush somewhere watching us. She does have the skill to do that. But, go back and swish your little tail all you want my love." He smiled and nudged Banyan along.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:38 pm
"Nonverbal communication eh? Ill keep that in mind. If I can master all the communications then no one could ever resist my friendship!" Banyan nodded his thanks to his father again, using nonverbal communication to show his gratitude, and then walked back into the forest. He took one last look over his shoulder at his dad, standing there on the cliffs edge looking so proud. Banyan did like his family, and he had a new sense of admiration for Betula. This conversation would always be remembered by Banyan and possibly shape his future. Banyan really liked the idea of having a lot of friends and with the knowledge that his father just gave him, it felt like an achievable dream. Banyan would work on making friends. He would learn how to make friends, and he would learn everything he could about the art of friendships.

He walked back through the forest on the same trail that he had taken to get to Betula. His tail whipped from side to side with a happy rhythmic wagging. He held his head up high and walked with a bit more confidence. Not a single rock tripped him on the way back, and he wasnt even paying attention.

He reached the little clearing where his family slept and saw his siblings off on the other side. He was about to run over and tell them what he had learned, but stopped. For some reason he felt as if he wanted to keep this a secret. Also, it made a lot of sense to him to keep it a secret. He could not hope to make friends with someone if they knew he was trying. That almost sounds too desperate. No, he would have to by sly and clever about it. He wanted people to be his friends, not because he asked them to by, but rather because they felt a connection with him and trusted him as a person. Yes, this was his little secret, his little vendetta. He nodded to himself and then ran off to join his siblings.

sbuggy166

Dapper Dabbler

Open/Private Canon IC RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces