Welcome to Gaia! ::

River of Polls : A GUILD OF RANDOMNESS AND EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

Back to Guilds

A random-based guild in which you may literally spam, chat, and do whatever you want. (Just follow the TOS and have fun!!!) 

Tags: Spam, Polls, Chat, Everything, Hangout, Role-playing, Role, Play, Word, Games, Quizzes, Discussion, Friends, Roleplay 

Reply River of Polls
Substitute Teachin'. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Also not sure if I should go as Ms. or Mr. when I introduce myself.
  Not sure at this point which would be less confusin'
View Results

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:56 pm
So I got a job as a substitute teacher and I have my first substitute teaching assignments. I start on Tuesday, with 1st graders. I don't know if I can handle elementary school. I don't know what sort of an age range that is or what things they learn, so I have no idea how to plan (though I plan to do research, obviously)

Then, if that wasn't hard enough (though maybe it's not, because I have no clue), my next assignment is a special education middle school class. Not only is that middle schoolers, but I'm always worried of being insensitive or overly sensitive with special needs students. Then, to finish it off, I have a 2 day assignment with special education elementary schoolers.

I take education very seriously, and it is my goal in life to be a college professor because I loved teaching so much. However, teaching elementary and middle schoolers is so much different, and I just worry that I'll do a horrible job and ruin school for so many people. I want to do a good job, but I have no idea where to start.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:22 pm
I'm sure after you start with the first few you'll get comfortable with it, and be a wonderful substitute.  

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:42 am
That's what I hope. And it changed slightly. I now work Monday as well, for a middle school math class. Got the whole week filled. Getting paid $90 a day, though, due to my degree and the fact that I did a 20 hour course, so that covers a whole month of rent. Yay for cheap living.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:18 pm
yay,

I got told by a landlord that my boyfriend in my room is a danger to everyone else in the rental unit because he will molest the other tenants and they will sue the landlord.

And that I was too stupid to understand that this is a serious risk. Yet inviting a serial rapist into my residency to sleep on the couch is not a danger at all.

In other words I still need a job so I can get out.  

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:40 pm
First day was an absolute nightmare, but now I know what it'll feel like if everythin' that can go wrong, does, and I managed well enough.

I've lost all hope in the education system, though. All the classrooms I had were students that were takin' the same grade level for at least 2 years, if not more, and they just didn't care. They talked and walked around the classroom for the entire period, and nothin' would make them listen or do their work. I felt especially bad for the few students who were actually there to learn, and they'd finish their work in a matter of minutes, and then just have to sit around for the rest of the class, unable to move forward and learn more because everyone else didn't care.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:45 pm
Semok
First day was an absolute nightmare, but now I know what it'll feel like if everythin' that can go wrong, does, and I managed well enough.

I've lost all hope in the education system, though. All the classrooms I had were students that were takin' the same grade level for at least 2 years, if not more, and they just didn't care. They talked and walked around the classroom for the entire period, and nothin' would make them listen or do their work. I felt especially bad for the few students who were actually there to learn, and they'd finish their work in a matter of minutes, and then just have to sit around for the rest of the class, unable to move forward and learn more because everyone else didn't care.

the education system is a joke.

My roommate had the guy in charge of the textbook software stuff teach the lecture and all they did was watch a video on how to register the software. Nothing on how to use it.  

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:38 pm
cool4
Semok

My roommate had the guy in charge of the textbook software stuff teach the lecture and all they did was watch a video on how to register the software. Nothing on how to use it.
Makes me so mad.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:06 pm
Semok
cool4
Semok

Makes me so mad.

Is it possible to try and change how the material is being taught? Find something more engaging. Like an activity that allows them to move around but still learn what they're supposed to?  

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:13 am
cool4
Semok
cool4
Semok

Makes me so mad.

Is it possible to try and change how the material is being taught? Find something more engaging. Like an activity that allows them to move around but still learn what they're supposed to?
I was taught to never break routine, because doing something different could stress out the students, which would make the parents angry, which could result insuring. I am to follow the lesson plan given to me exactly and do my best to do everything exactly the same as everyone else. It's ridiculous.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:02 am
Semok
cool4
Semok
cool4
Semok

Makes me so mad.

I was taught to never break routine, because doing something different could stress out the students, which would make the parents angry, which could result insuring. I am to follow the lesson plan given to me exactly and do my best to do everything exactly the same as everyone else. It's ridiculous.

Some people aren't cut out to sit still in a classroom. It's a shame that they can't have that opportunity to move around and learn.

My boyfriend is high functioning autistic so he would be one of the ones disrupting the classroom, but that's because he knew way more then what was being taught, yet he couldn't sit still in a classroom.  

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:38 pm
Well, today was even worse than yesterday, and it was my own fault. I had elementary schoolers that were just as loud and inattentive, but I had the same group for the whole day, and there were many more of them.

Then, and I still don't know how, since I never left the room, except to take the students to lunch, I misplaced the lesson plan and could not find it, which got me into a panic. I had luckily read the whole thing, so I still vaguely knew what to do, but I had to inform the office and feel like a complete idiot. Then one of the students' grandmother, who used to be the substitute of the class, came in and stayed with me the whole day. They could quite down the whole classroom in an instant while I was completely ignored. I felt like such an idiot and failure of a substitute.

I also didn't realize that they were supposed to get a snack, since I couldn't find where the snacks were, and then found them right as all the students were leaving, so I had to make a note of that to the teacher as well as all the other mistakes I made.

I ended up just comin' home and sobbin' for a good hour. I've decided that from now on, I don't work Wednesdays if I'm scheduled for all the other days, because I just can't handle more than 2 days in a row...

Tomorrow I have special education middle school, and it was modified a few hours ago and I have to come in an hour earlier than I thought...

After that is another elementary school class, but special education, and 2 days in a row.

I might just drink myself to death on Friday.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:14 pm
you'll get through it, or maybe work your way up to a full time teaching position so you can have some seniority in the future. Or keep working so you can teach University students and hopefully only deal with people that want to learn.  

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:58 pm
Alright. Today was WAY better. I went to a contained room for special education, and there was 2 students and 4 teachers, so I had lots of help and support. I also got to talk with some of the other subs and get some advice, and it made me feel a lot better about not doin' very good the first 2 days. I also impressed the teachers and subs with my knowledge of electronics and video games that can be used educationally. It was just a fun day, and I felt like I connected a bit with one of the Autistic children.

Tomorrow I believe it's going to be similar, where I'll be working in a contained classroom for special education, and there should be multiple people. I also will be doing that job for 2 days, so the kids will get to know me a bit and Friday should be easier.

I don't feel as nervous anymore, though I know I have a lot to learn. Gonna give it my all!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:35 pm
Quick update. Firstly, got my first paycheck, which felt great, since money was gettin' really tight (I was down to $2).

While my original plan was to not work on Wednesdays, I've been consistently workin' full days every day of the week and enjoyin' every one of them! I also got to go back to the one school that I had such a horrible time at, and met up with the teacher I had subbed for, and they weren't angry at all and completely understood, which made me feel so much better.

On top of that, today, I was put on the preferred list for my favorite school that I've been to thus far (subbed for it 3 times so far). When I'm on the preferred list, it means that I get to see job postin's for that school before all the other subs, because that school wants me as their main sub. One of the teachers I subbed for said that they wanted to get me before any other school did. xd Makes me feel so proud, since I feel like I've been doin' a pretty s**t job on some of my days.

But yeah, I'm really enjoyin' this job, and the work hours are surprisingly pretty consistent, so I could possibly live off of it. Things are lookin' up!  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:00 pm
yay, I just got hired for backroom stuff at a retail store. I start in a week.  
River of Polls

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff