Welcome to Gaia! ::

Soquili Era

Back to Guilds

Tags: soquili, horses, breedable pets, pet horses, familiars 

Reply Open/Private Canon IC RP
[PRP] Ill Met By Moonlight (Maeryn and Milosh)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:08 am
User Image

Years ago, Maeryn had come to this place to die. The elder surveyed the little clearing that led to a cave. Within that cave Maeryn had waited for death, delirious and spent. Her bones had ached, her body had been frail. Ready, perhaps, for the Raven Mocker to collect her spirit. As her thoughts had wandered in an endless stream, delirium had swept her along to the place that Rot had once filled within her heart. Perhaps her broken, aged heart had whispered a silent prayer, or perhaps that old, beloved sleeper had given Kalona his own prayer. In the stillness of the night, Maeryn had heard a foal's cry. The hungry, mewling sound of an infant Kalona had instantly awakened the mare. Before she'd known what her hooves were about, they had already carried her aching body to the place where the hungry squeaks had originated.

Here, within the clearing, she had found little Keiran. An instant bond had formed, as mare and foal had found their salvation in one another. No doubt that sleeping warrior had looked down with benediction upon the pair. The madness had left her, and she had found, miracle of miracles, that she could nurse the starving baby. Then and there, she had known him for her son. Her beloved lifemate had sent him to her, had sent her directly to the place where she would be needed. He had been her baby from that day forward, her youngest son. Maeryn had watched the little foal grow until he had dwarfed her, and still he had looked up to her.

Yet there had been true tragedy here, she knew. The site had smelled of blood, new blood. Birthing blood, but far, far too much. When she had made certain of her new foal's safety, she had sought out the source. Remorse had filled Maeryn then, for it was all to clear what had occurred; a young Kalona mare had been torn from the birthing process, and predators had been attracted to the smell of fresh blood. She had been bleeding out. Keiran had been too big for the little mare, and if there had been any other foals, surely they had not helped matters. The elder had no doubt that the young mother had led the beasts (perhaps even Skinwalkers) away from her infant, and...

The rest was all too familiar. Many years ago, Maeryn's own mother had bled in her defense. She remembered distantly the cage of strong legs, the whinny and scream of her outraged mother. Blood. Little Maeryn had escaped, though only just. It was here she had fled, in the end, though it had taken her some time to arrive. Here in the Kawani lands she had found the stallion who would one day become her mate. Here she had founded the Black Skull herd. Here she had birthed her children. Here she had lost her one and only love. Here she had found her little Keiran. Here she had been chosen by Kalona to be his Elder.

So it was that in a fit of nostalgia, missing her youngest son, Maeryn had traversed her lands to find the little cave that had been his first true shelter. In the tall grass not far away she had taught him to hunt. Ah, Maeryn missed her children, each and every one of them. No matter what their life decisions had been, she missed them. Although strength of purpose filled her, she was, in so many ways, desperately alone. But that would change in due course; they would return, and return with mates. So they had agreed, and so they would do. One day the Kawani lands would host the blood of Black Skull again, and they would teem with new life. Kalona life. Until that day, Maeryn would content herself with memories, and her parentless children.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:55 pm
User Image

There was something out there, something close, and Milosh felt ill at ease. There was something heavy in the air, something that made the beast of a kalona uncomfortable. There was something off about this place, something that drew Milosh forward, despite his great misgivings. There was truth out there. . . . and it was a truth the stallion feared. As luck would have it, the spirit of Kalona had brought him to this place, though he knew not the reason, and feared the truth of it. A stallion had seemed to recall seeing a mare of Usha's markings linger in these lands, though it had been some time ago. . . . Quite some time ago. The only reason the stranger recalled was because he'd almost lost an eye to that whip-like tail, and his advances had been thoroughly rebuffed.

. . . leave it to Usha to make friends with the locals.

Still, a small part of Milosh held on to doubt. Surely that stallion could have been mistaken -- there might very well have been a number of other mares with those particular markings and colorst. Surely, that stallion couldn't recall a mare from so long ago. . . And yet, from what Milosh had come to understand, pure kalona kind were rare in these parts. They were rare everywhere, seemingly, but with the diluted blood so prominent in the Kawani, finding a pure mare was a bit of a tricky thing. At least, that's what the stallion had said.

So it was, Milosh knew he held onto that doubt as a coward might. . .a shield from the sudden worry of what he might find in these lands. He was a strong stallion. . . . but there were some pain that cut deep. So it was, the braided stallion trudged his way through the foliage, pausing now and then to listen, to search for any sort of marking, any sort of clue, and to breathe in the scent of the land. What he found was . . . not Usha . . . but. . . . a ghost of a fragrance that almost seemed familiar. Had he just missed her? Had she been there? It . . . . It wasn't quite right, and it was very weak. Still, the stallion traced it, little caring that he must look a fool picking his way through the brush and bramble like some hound.

He was on a mission, and he would not stop until Usha was taken under his wing, and they might return to the snowy north. He was not the wisest of stallions, but he was certainly stubborn. So it was, the male made his way closer to that cave. He knew there was another kalona nearby -- Maeryn's scent was more than obvious -- but he brushed it aside. Whoever was out there was of little consequence to him. They were not his focus, that . . . that minute hope was everything to him. Let some beast attack him, let some mare try to drive him off -- and above all else -- let it be Usha to scold him , to scar him, to snarl at him like she used to do when she thought him some fool.

It would be welcome.

It would be, above all else, a true miracle. Surely the great spirit Kalona might grant him this boon?

Uta

Shy Mage

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:07 pm

The Raven Mocker's call shook Maeryn from her reverie, and the sound of a corvid's cry brought her head up. There was no crow or raven to be seen. Very well, she had heard and understood her master's message. She was needed. For whatever reason, her presence was required. When she brought her head up, her eyes fell almost instantly upon the sight of an enormous stallion. For one of his size, with that thick covering... he had to be a northern stallion. Such a stature would preserve him in the cold northern winter, would prevent chill from seeping down into his bones.

It was his markings, however, that stopped her in her tracks. Oh. Here, at long last, was Keiran's sire. He could be nothing else. She had laid eyes on the fallen mare, and had known where Keiran had gotten his purple coloration. No, there could be no other explanation. This stallion had been responsible for the greatest blessing Kalona had given her, and no doubt that had been his greatest tragedy. She would have to tell him. Slipping into the shadows, Maeryn walked among them until she stood before this stranger.

"I know why you have come," she said gravely, appearing wreathed in a shadow that slowly dispersed. "I bring the message of Kalona, and I am afraid that you will not like what I have to say." But it was hers to say. It could be no coincidence that he had come to this place of all of the places in the world. Something about the stallion spoke of a tension that he surely felt. A tension he perhaps thought to conceal. Maeryn, however, was only too familiar with it. After all, she had known his fear herself years ago. "Will you hear his words?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:01 pm
Milosh was actually surprised when a large kalona mare suddenly appeared before him, and it caused him to almost start. His ears instantly pricked, wings twitching into what would have been a full on flare had he not better control of his movements. It took a lot to startle the beast, but Maeryn certainly had done so! While her scent was vaguely familiar -- this was the other kalona scent he'd been mostly disregarding! -- she was still a kalona, and unlike any he'd seen. Though she was small, she was larger than some of the Kawani he'd witnessed, and there was a power and presence to her that could not be denied. Whoever she was. . . she was clearly of some great importance...or at least, she held herself in a way in which he'd never seen before.

Ah, but the surprise that had gripped him at her very shadowed approach, was trumped by the doom within her words. So it was, this mare was a chosen of Kalona? That must be where the power came from, on top of a natural experience and wisdom. The stallion said nothing as the weight of her words settled upon his shoulders like a heavy weight and chain. He knew what she was going to say before she said them, knew that if he agreed to hear this news, his journey would come to its end. There could be no other reason to stop him. . . . though how she knew his cause, he couldn't guess, nor was it important. He did not dare insult Kalona or this mare . .. but for hair of a moment, he truly considered walking the path of denial. Ah,but he was no coward, and all that regret already began to bubble up to the surface. The hope that Usha might live already began to fade, and it left a sickening hollowness in his bones that could easily have taken him down. But . . . he would not crumble here or in front of any eyes.

Giving a respectful nod, wings resettling tight against his side, the stallion stared solemnly down at Maeryn. "Speak then, though I might guess at what message Kalona brings." His gaze hardened, just as his muscles did, the stallion taught with anxiety renewed. There would be no hope. . . and he would soon be hit with a message he had dreaded most. Still, he kept his pride, and his body language subtle. Though he was certain this mare might see, younger, blinder, fools might not.

Uta

Shy Mage

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:24 pm

It grieved Maeryn to bring the stallion such ill news, but bring it she must. It was her duty as Kalona's chosen to see to the needs of his children. And so, it fell upon her shoulders to bear such a message, a message that hit all too close to home for the old mare. "My news is not all bad, though I fear you have dreaded the worst of it. The mare that you seek is dead. She has been dead for many years now... as many years as your son has been alive." The elder went silent for a time, contemplating how best to explain matters to the stallion. At last, she spoke again. "The mare... was too small, the foal too large. Predators were drawn to her birthing blood, and she had strength enough to lead them away from her foal. She fought them until the end. That much I was able to determine when I found her."

And what a sad sight that had been. "Your infant colt's cries drew me to him. It was Kalona's will that I was nearby, that I was able to reach him before he went hungry or the beasts that had felled his dam came for him. I have raised him as my own ever since. There may have been others, but if so... I never found them. I am sorry for your loss." She didn't add that his loss had been her gain. As for his identity as the foal's sire... it didn't take much to put the pieces together. His markings were her own Keiran's markings. "His name is Keiran. He is a young stallion whom any father might be proud of. Perhaps in time you may discover that for yourself, if such is your wish." She mantled immense wings on her back, waiting for his response.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:27 pm
The pain that gripped the stallion’s heart was almost surprising, given he had prepared himself for months for the worst. He had known, deep down, past his denial, that Usha was more than likely dead – of disease, of mishap, of infection, of an attack. When she had not returned within the expected season, he had known. It had been hope that had lead him to wait, denial that had determined he give her time, but ultimately, he knew she had been lost to him. What a fool he’d been all those years, playing some game of wit, knowing full well what they had both wanted. One did not simply rush into a romance, especially given their different upbringings. Pride, for all the good it had done Milosh, had ultimately kept him from Usha’s side on her journey back to the Kawani. Perhaps, if he had gone with her, been with her, he could have done something, could have helped, could have fought for her and found a healer. Instead, she had died. . . . Died, giving birth to his foal. To their foal. To this mare’s foal. That was a surprise to Milosh. . . for while Usha and he had dabbled before, no foal had ever made itself known.

He had been a fool. Usha had always been a small mare, but those of the Kawani were of delicate bones. This strange mare, despite being large and quite formidable, despite having an aura about her that he’d never felt before, was not as massive as some of those in the North. That did not make her any less worthy an opponent, or any weaker, not at all! Only a fool would think that size dictated the outcome of a battle, or that those of smaller bones and girth were to be taken lightly. One should never underestimate their opponent, and those in the Kawani were no exception. Ah, but Usha. . . The regret he felt over the confirmation within Maeryn’s words were only slightly lessened by the surprise that he was a father. . or at least a donor in the life of another. Usha might yet live on in this unknown stallion, this son he had not known. Though he stayed quiet, trying to compose the sting of feeling that ravaged him, attempting to master his emotions, he did allow his tail to give a little swish in acknowledgement. “Then she lives on, if not through body, than in spirit and blood.” He was not a poetic stallion, but the knowledge that there was another out there – some stranger name Keiran – that carried on in Usha’s stead was comforting. How sorry he was to have lost the mare, and to have gone all this time without knowledge of a son. . .

But there would be time to grieve when prying eyes were not so near. So it was, he gave a small, respectful, dip of his head. “I thank you for such tidings, and thank Kalona for your discovery.” He did not have a right to call this other his son, for he had certainly been no father. Had he known Usha had been with foal he would have never let her go, and doubted she would have made the journey. “You saved him, where I could not, Kalona help me. . . and for that, you have my endless gratitude.” His words were sincere, as sincere as the stoic stallion could be. He was not often one overcome by any great feeling, but this mare had taken on a responsibility she shouldn’t have been pressured to take. This foal was not of her blood, nor of her kin, and some might have taken him for prey or at least an easy kill. But this black and red mare was of different breeding. . . “I would wish to seek him out, if you are agreeable.” What might he look like? What might he be like? Keiran: a strong name, to be sure, though foreign all the same. “I have no claim over him as my son, but I would wish to see with my own eyes.” If only to see what what future possibility had been lost to him, to see what could have been, and to have a memory to hold onto during his lonely trek back north.

This arctic winter would be particularly cold.

Uta

Shy Mage

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:16 am

Ah, and there it was: the reason why Maeryn must dash this stallion's hopes. "Unfortunately, our son is absent at the moment. He has journeyed far from here to seek out a mate." It was hard, Maeryn knew, to find a suitable mate within these lands. So, Keiran had traveled far and wide to search for a mare who would make his mother proud. The tragedy of his birth had ever been a shadow in his life, though perhaps it had not touched him so much as it now wounded this stranger.

"I may have your gratitude, but he was a blessing to me." His presence had brought her back fro the brink of death. His little, hungry cries had been the balm that she'd needed. "It was a delight to be his mother. He would make you proud. I have no doubt that his true mother looks on in approval upon him." The elder resettled her wings on her back, trying not to show any disquiet that she may have felt. Here was Keiran's flesh and blood, where she could only lay claim to the lessons that she had taught him, the time that she had spent with him.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:56 pm
Miss Cherie

The large kalona considered the mare's words. So his son was not near these lands, and was out . . . seeking a mate. The large kalona gave a swish of his tail, the tentacles writhing a bit as he truly consdered the mare's news. Had he been gone and away so long that his son was already seeking out a mare? Had time passed so swiftly?

On the one hoof, it was good news that the stallion was mature, and ready to start a life all his own. Why shouldn't a strapping young kalona seek to strengthen the line and start their own family? Why shouldn't his son find pure blood? Rumor had it that the Kawani was weak when it came to strong kalona lines. . . too many crossed with lesser's. On the other hoof, Milosh was disgruntled that with Keiran gone, any last ties to Usha were dashed. He wanted to meet this stranger, to see him with his own eyes, to confirm what Maeryn was sure of. He wanted to see, just once, the face of his only progeny, and at the very least, return back to the winter wastelands with news. Maybe if he saw his son, the burden of his heart would be lessened on the long journey back.

Part of Milosh had to wonder if the stallion would even want to see him. It wasn't as if he'd had any knowledge of Keiran, or impact on his growth and development. He was not truly his father, even if it was his blood that ran through the others veins. Milosh wasn't going to to let Keiran's absence deter him though. . . He was here now. It would be less time lingering until the stallion returned than it would take to go back to the northlands, and return at a later date.

"Old enough to take on a mate, eh?" He arched a brow but his smile was understanding, and perhaps a bit pleased. One did have their duty to the blood, after all. "I've failed at being a father, but shall hope he is far more successful in his search. It sounds to me that he's had sound training, and a great mother and teacher." If nothing else, his son seemed to be doing well. Truly, he was grateful that the ebony mare before him had invested in him. Milosh was well aware that not every kalona was so generous. It was a competitive world out there, and his son could have easily become another's snack.

With a thoughtful tit of his head, Milosh gave a small grunt. "Well then. If he is not yet returned, then I am in no rush to return to the Northlands. Kalona seems to want me to linger in the Kawani, and I shall not question his will." He knew not when his son might return, but what was one more kalona in a land full of crossbreeds and tainted blood?

The lands could use a real kalona lurking . . . particularly if the skinwalker problem was as prevalent as was rumored. "I will not get in your way, or his, I assure you. I simply come from a land far from here, and would at least like to meet him before I return." He would not claim the title as father, for Maeryn had earned such a right to be the real parent. He was no threat. . .but he would not leave until he saw him in the flesh.

Uta

Shy Mage

Open/Private Canon IC RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces