Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:29 pm
User Image

Being the only friend of a crazy person was harder work than Vesper thought it would be. He hadn't intended on becoming an ally of the lioness who seemed to have given up completely, he was only being polite when he didn't immediately shut her down and walk away.. and now he felt a strange kind of obligation to her, so he let her carry on like he felt the same way she did and was willing to help her. For now, they didn't seem to be attracting any special attention from the King or his guards. Vesper only hoped it would stay that way.

He had managed to get away from Nyeusi earlier than usual tonight, and was off to enjoy a little quiet before setting off on his patrol route for the night. He ended up by the waterhole, not noticing that he was being given a wide berth. For a few minutes he stared at his reflection, pondering the strange turn of events and what it might mean for his future.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:54 pm
User Image

Maua had been thinking very hard of late. She had taken a good deal of time to absorb the changes in the pride, observing and considering her options. Previously it seemed like there would be no way for her to ever rise above being merely middle-class. But now... now it seemed as if there was the possibility of opportunity. Their new king, though rising through bloody means, clearly preferred to bestow favor on those who supported and offered beneficial assistance.

Her problem, of course, was that she had nothing to offer. Oh, she at least had the distant claim of being cousins of some sort, but that would hardly be enough. Shanyue was not the sentimental sort, that much was painfully obvious. In fact, Maua suspected she had more in common with her cousin than her siblings or even her mother might suspect. She wanted the same things. Power. Influence.

Her duties finished for the evening, she was strolling along near the waterhole when she spotted one of her pale brothers. Her gaze focused more as she realized it was Vesper. She'd heard some rather intriguing rumors about the company he was keeping lately, and she knew well by now that rumors tended to spring from truths. Time to get to the bottom of this one.

She sauntered over, all relaxed grace and veiled slyness. "Hello brother," she greeted him warmly, stepping close to bump her head against his jaw briefly. "You look troubled." She sat and gave him a look meant to be sympathetic and inviting of confidence. "Is all not well with you?" Nevermind that little of her heart was really in what she said. Maua was long used to being manipulative and appearing more sweet and sincere than she really was. Where she got that trait, who could say?

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:29 pm
Vesper nearly jumped out of his fur when Maua suddenly came out, he was more lost in his own mind than he had realized. Hanging out with Nyeusi was giving him far too much to worry about. Luckily, he realized who it was quickly and relaxed.

"Maua," he greeted her, smiling, "I'm sorry, it's nothing to worry about. Things have just been.. getting a little strange, I guess."

He glanced around, as if realizing nobody but his sister seemed to want to hang out too close by. Part of him wondered if he wasn't seeing something everybody else did. Certainly around Nyeusi even the more relaxed grooming regimen would seem diligent.. but maybe it wasn't something he could physically see. The company he kept definitely mattered more now than it used to.

"Do you know Nyeusi?" he asked suddenly, "She's our cousin, isn't she? I don't quite remember how.. her father is one of the ones who married into the low class. Didn't that happen a bunch of times after our Grandfather did it?"

Family history was hard to keep track of when your family was so big and not so close.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:44 pm
She watched closely as her brother nearly jumped out of his skin before registering who she was. How very... odd. His words only amplified the sense that something was off, rather than the intended assurance that all was well. His abrupt question further confirmed her sense that he was involved in something he wasn't sure about.

She flicked her ears and drew her brows together in thought at the question. "Yes, a cousin of some sort." Like our king is, she added mentally. She wasn't entirely sure of who approved of Shangyue and who did not. Some were obvious about it, but most were ambiguous in their indications, whether by uncertainty or caution. It made sense to keep her intended allegiance to herself for now, though. "I really don't know much about the slaves," she added disdainfully, raising one paw and extending her claws to examine them minutely. Though, she had to admit, they did have the new royal guard that stemmed from the slaves. That was one faction that bore investigating.

"Why?" she suddenly asked him, dropping her paw to stare intently at him. "Is that who you've been hanging around lately?" She reined in her outward expression and softened her face to a mood more suitable for sibling soothing.

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:55 pm
Under normal circumstances, he might have paid more attention to the way she responded and the way she spoke of their cousins- and the slaves. But his mind was already full and he was anticipating rational conversation and reassurance.

"Yes," he answered, looking directly back at her, "She's lost her mind, Maua. You mustn't have run into her yet, but she's not exactly discreet. She runs around decrying the King, that the end is coming because the Great Lion has turned his back on the King, and on us."

His voice lowered as he spoke, though he knew nobody was really around to hear him. Still, it was clear he understood the dangers of what was being said. Of course, he didn't really know yet what end Nyeusi foresaw- was it the end of the pride, or the end of the world? Could Shangyue's actions truly cause such disaster?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:46 am
Hmm. A mad lioness taking her brother as a confidante... this could have potential use. Granted, she was likely harmless, for the most part anyway. Still... she attempted to keep the frown of thought from her face. It was rather serious to accuse their King of turning away the Great Lion from them as a whole pride. Her ears twitched as she forced them to remain upright rather than pin back in displeasure. So many had already abandoned the pride, clearly they thought the same as this lioness.

"Others felt that way, I think," she said carefully, "but they just left. Why does she stay if she thinks the Great Lion has deserted us?" This was actually an excellent question, and made her suspicious that perhaps this distant cousin of theirs was planning something. If she did, and Vespar shared those plans with her... her heartbeat quickened. It would give her something to present to Shangyue to gain his favor! She stemmed her excitement to put on a more proper sisterly attitude. "You aren't thinking of leaving with her, are you?" She managed to put enough concern and alarm into her voice to hopefully fool her excitable and overwhelmed brother. She assuaged her conscience by telling it that she'd protect him when things fell apart with this Nyeusi. That was being a good sister, wasn't it?

Ecavi

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:41 pm
Vesper froze when his sister asked a very reasonable question. If Nyeusi was so sure everything was only going to get worse around here, why did she stay? He truly didn't understand her point of view, he hadn't really tried.. but it was made all the more difficult to guess at just by wondering why she stayed.

He was startled out of his silent wondering when Maua asked if he intended to leave, shaking his head immediately.

"I'm not going anywhere!" he exclaimed, "I don't know why Nyeusi stays, I don't even really understand what she means by the things she says. Maybe this is all she knows, I don't know if I could ever just walk away from the pride, even thinking as she does, it might not be something that's occurred to her."

But maybe it ought to, he thought with a frown.

Talencia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:52 pm
Maua thought hard. There were many "if"s here. If she was indeed planning something, if it was worthy of telling the King, if her brother stayed close enough to stay in her confidence, if her brother kept talking this freely about what went on... she needed to figure out how to pare down the iffs a bit.

"She sounds like a troubled soul," she said quietly, eyes lowered and tone tinged with concern. "A troubled and uneasy heart that needs someone to show her that life is still good and worth living." Her eyes flashed open and darted to her brother. It could have been mistaken for alarm, though in truth it was a sudden bright idea. "Oh dear, you should keep a close eye on her! What if she hasn't left because... well, she intends to end her own life?!" She let her eyes grow wider, rounder, and her whiskers drooped. She couldn't manage to keep her tail still, though, and it twitched and slithered behind her like a snake. "If you are the only one she trusts...," she let her suggestion trail off and waited expectantly for the reaction that would ensure that Vesper would be in position to learn all he possibly could about this cousin of theirs.  

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:08 pm
He was alarmed by the conclusions that Maua came to, he really hadn't thought about it that way at all. It sounded silly to him, but was he not thinking about it the right way? Was there something his sister saw in this story he didn't? There very well might be. He frowned.

"I intend to keep an eye on her," he said, "I don't know if she really trusts me, or if I'm the only one.. but so far I am the only one who has given her any feedback that wasn't negative. Mind you, it wasn't positive either."

He sighed.

"I guess it'll keep things interesting," he muttered, hoping this wasn't a sign of troubles to come-- but that was exactly what Nyeusi was trying to tell everybody.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:12 pm
Yes yes yes! This was what she wanted. She moved closer to him and put a paw around his shoulders as best she could. "For our cousin's good, you should stay close and make sure she remains safe." She shook her head sadly, as if dwelling on the possible, undesirable outcomes to the strange behavior of Nyeusi. "You are a good cousin to endure her strange ways for her own safety. I don't think I would have the courage or the patience." Wasn't that the truth!

She patted him on the shoulder with her paw and bumped her head against his jaw briefly. "I'm here if you need any help, of course. I just don't think I'd deal as well as you have with her going on about the Great Lion's favor like that." She let her pelt shiver. "It's too creepy and frightening." Ah well, Maua wasn't going to get where she wanted to be without some lies mixed in with truths. That was how it was supposed to work, right? She fixed in her mind how badly she wanted to rise in power, which wasn't a difficult thing to do, and steeled herself against the wrong she was doing.  

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:26 pm
Vesper was glad to have the support of his sister, though part of him thought she was overreacting-- but another part of him thought he was underreacting. This was just a mess of a situation, all he could really do was try to keep an eye on and help Nyeusi any way he could. So long as he had a clear head, he should be able to keep the worst of their possible troubles away.

Hopefully.

"Thank you, Maua," he said, looking over and smiling at his sister, "Don't worry about this too much, the Great Lion wouldn't abandon us and everybody knows that."

It was why nobody was taking Nyeusi seriously. It had to be. She was pitiable, not dangerous.

[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games