Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Fluffy Quotient Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lila Malvae

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:25 pm
Got a bone to pick...
-5 if individual is fighting a great evil /conspiracy / etc...

Whether we choose to recognise it or not, there is evil in the world. There are evil deities. And honestly, I think that we should look out for it as ethical people so that we can identify it and act appropriately.
I'm not saying that there are aliens trying to impregnate my brain evil ; or that Coca Cola puts mind-controling agents in their soda evil ; or even that President Bush himself is an alien trying to take over the world evil ....err... wait, maybe that would explain some of his speech impediments and his megalomania. neutral
Just kidding about that last part and I know why this rule was put in here, but I think it should be more clarified like "-5 if individual is solely fighting a great evil/ conspiracy/ etc."  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:31 pm
LilaMalvae
Whether we choose to recognise it or not, there is evil in the world.

Such as?

Quote:
There are evil deities.

Such as?

Quote:
And honestly, I think that we should look out for it as ethical people so that we can identify it and act appropriately.

"Ethical people?" Please define.
Also, what is your idea of "act appropriately" and why are we in any way bound to do so?

I didn't get the "Come join the Power Rangers" memo when I joined up. Nuri, did you forget to send me my decoder ring?

First we'd all have to agree on what evil is, and if it even exists (sorry sweets, just saying "whether you believe it or not, it exists omgQ11!1!" doesn't cut it for me). Then we'd all have to agree on what constitutes an evil act. Then we'd have to agree on whether or not any of us are in any way qualified to react. Then we'd have to have those people deemed qualified decide on the best course of action.

Fact of the matter is, virtually all people spouting their evil conspiracy crap are hysterical people who need a fantasy to make up for a lack of self-esteem. I HAVE A HEADACHE, DEMONS ARE ATTACKING ME!!! and the like.  

Sivirs

kara_h

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:04 am
Sivirs

Quote:
There are evil deities.

Such as?

As you say, we first need to define evil. We also need to look at what that particular culture that worshipped the deity defined as evil. For example, some of the underworld/dark side/etc deities (whether we are talking Set, Louhi, or whoever else)
may have been evil or they may have served a vital purpose (or maybe both). Since no ancient cultures are around (especially unchanged ones) we can only speculate as to their intentions.

Interestingly, what we might call a 'good' deity may not have been that to start. From looking at scattered records over the years that we have, it seems how a deity was represented in one age was always not how they were looked on in another, when it would be a different culture.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:09 am
kara_h
Sivirs

Quote:
There are evil deities.

Such as?

As you say, we first need to define evil. We also need to look at what that particular culture that worshipped the deity defined as evil. For example, some of the underworld/dark side/etc deities (whether we are talking Set, Louhi, or whoever else)
may have been evil or they may have served a vital purpose (or maybe both). Since no ancient cultures are around (especially unchanged ones) we can only speculate as to their intentions.
Or we can use sorce texts and UPG and there are in fact some aspects of Paganism that are unchanged. Too often does mythology confuse evil with scary. No, Kali is not evil. She is scary as all hel, but to say evil would apply a descriptor out of ignorance.

Quote:
Interestingly, what we might call a 'good' deity may not have been that to start. From looking at scattered records over the years that we have, it seems how a deity was represented in one age was always not how they were looked on in another, when it would be a different culture.
Examples please?  

TeaDidikai

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:06 pm
kara_h
For example, some of the underworld/dark side/etc deities (whether we are talking Set, Louhi, or whoever else)

Stkh (a.k.a. Set, Seth, Sutekh, Suti, etc.) is not an "evil" god, there don't seem to have been any "evil" deities in AE mythology, actually. Even the main Enemy, the serpent Ap/p, has a perfectly good reason for doing what it is that he's doing and I wouldn't call him evil. We just can't let him do it, that's all.^_~

Stkh is a god of challenge- He represents many of the harsher forces of nature which create the oppositions over which others must triumph in order to fulfill their destinies. Just as Hrw (Horus) had to defeat Stkh to prove Himself worthy of the kingship, the rest of us also have to deal with difficult challenges in the course of living our own lives. People tend to be uncomfortable around these kinds of challenges, so I'm not surprised to see a lot of amulets for warding off Stkh's presence- but He's certainly not evil.

Stkh is also one of Ra's favorites, and after the judgement against Stkh in the famous story of Wsyr (Osiris)'s death, Ra took Him up into the sky to live with Him. Ra actually favored Stkh's bid for the kingship over Hrw, in fact- and Ra is certainly not an evil god, either. And now it is Stkh Who stands at the prow of Ra's boat, defending the sun god (and through extension, the order and continued existence of this world) by slaying Ap/p each day. In this role, He is this world's savior- not evil.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:33 pm
Deoridhe
-1 if individual is dedicated to a 'kind' or 'gentle' death or war deity (e.g. Kali, Hecate, Ma'at, Morrigan, etc...)

Ma'at as a death or war goddess?^_^ She doesn't really fit into either one of those categories- although a person's life will be weighed against Ma'at after their death, She's not a death goddess (all AE deities tend to turn up in the Duat periodically, because They're all involved with this world and the afterlife regions are simply another part of it). She's simply the order of the universe- before, after, or during death, life, creation, destruction, or whatever. Always.^_^ But anyway- I understand what you meant here. She's never overly harsh, but she's not exactly forgiving, either. She's nothing more or less than wholely just and appropriate in all things- it's Her nature.^_~  

WebenBanu

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:54 pm
*sticks foot in her mouth* Personally, I dont' believe in the concept of Good or Evil. They're concepts that are completely human-made and therefore flawed. They're based on perception, nothing concrete. For example, the suicide bomber who destroyed a building and 50 lives may be seen as 'evil' by those dead person's families, however by his or her own people, he or she is seen as a hero and a good person who was trying to prove a point or raise awareness of an issue. There is no good or evil, just as in the past there were no 'good' or 'evil' gods. If we take a look at ALL of them, we can see that there are yes, very scary gods and goddesses, but that yeah, they've got a job to do. Death, destruction, plagues, sickness; they're all tools, not evil in and of themselves because there is no evil. And for that matter, no 'good' either. *keeps foot in her mouth, just in caase*  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:10 pm
For the first one, I got 18. Then, adding what I got from chesire's, I got a 23.
Triste Morningstar
- 5 For bashing fluffbunnies, and then offering 'information' that is false and biased. (Basically, for being one of the new 'anti-fluffbunny fluffbunnies' that seem to be popping up nowadays.)
- 3 For using any variation of the phrase 'Wiccans can't go to hell because they don't believe in one.'
- 1 For excessive use of the phrase 'Oh My Goddess.'
- 1 For Excessive use of the phrase 'Bleessed Be.'
- 1 For Excessive use of the phrase 'Merry Meet' and 'Merry Part.'
- 1 For Excessive use of the phrase 'As above, so below.'
- 1 For Excessive use of the phrase 'So motw it be.'
- 4 for refusing to debate your religion in any way, shape, or form.
- 6 for pointing out that there are 'constant contradictions' in the bible.
- 1 For complaining about oppressive parents.
- 3 for constantly bringing up the fact that Wiccans don't worship the devil. rolleyes
- 10 for any reference to 'the burning times.'
- 3 For every time you say that all beliefs are equally valid.

+ 5 if you concede a point you've made when you are proven wrong.
+ 2 if you are willing to admit that the prejudice against you is not so bad, or even nonexistant.
+ 2 if you are a female and worship a God, or a male and worship a goddess.
+ 1 for every year you've studied your religion.

whee whee
I got a totaly of 10 from this one, alone (not including the 10). So I guess that all totals up to a 33.

EDIT: Just for the heck of it, I think I'll take this test again in just a few weeks. xd whee 3nodding  

Something to Replace

Miss Lune Soleil

Fluffy Bunny

22,650 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:05 pm
Woot, 13 from the ones in the first post ninja

9 from Triste's

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:56 pm
81 from the first list, (probably more, but I have no idea how many books I've read or questions I've asked about other religions, and I counted library books too since I did read them, after all.)

94 from the 1st and 2nd lists. (There are plenty of contradictions in the bible, as you would expect from a compilation of books written by many authors. So I didn't feel that counted.)

98 from the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lists. (I hardly ever go to a bookstore and I've never set foot in an occult bookstore, so I didn't count that one.)

I don't think I've ever been fluffy, frankly. I want to see proof for beliefs so I have never read a book and taken it at face value, even scholarly books...  

Wood Sorrel

iRTsuki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:49 pm
with test one i got a 57 added test 2 to get a 76 and added test 3 to get a total of 85. im actually suprised i got that considering i feel i am far from where i need to be as far as what i want/need to learn. heart blaugh  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:38 pm
I might take it later. I'm too tired. xp

How about adding this one...

-5 for claiming a pet as a "familiar" if it doesn't contribute to your workings (ignores you unless it wants food, performs normal instinct-driven behaviours that you misinterpret as "special")

The score can be adjusted, of course... that's one that drives me nuts, to be honest. "OMG! My cat LUVS me, she MUST be my familiar!!!1one!111!!!!!"  

Keistera

PhantomPhoenix0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:37 am
eek
I got 39. Its the books and the questions that kept me down. The only scholory book I own is Witchcraft Today, but that could be debateable. Guess I need to find some books and ask questions.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:56 am
I'd like to add some stuff...

-3 If you have a mystical creature as a familiar (dragon, unicorn, elf, etc.)
-4 If you claim to be the reincarnation of a fictional character (Gandalf, Beowulf, Duo Maxwell, etc.) Subtract an additional 3 points if you become extremely angry and possibly violent if your outlandish claims are met with disbelief.
-5 for showboating, being a snotty little p***k, etc. ("I can make it rain just by thinking about it. It's soooo easy. What's the matter, can't you do it?") Subtract an additional 5 points for not being able to show evidence to back up your claims.
-5,000,000 for being fluent in elvish.

Believe it or not, I've actually met people like this. sweatdrop  

Nashoba Kaga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:07 pm
According, to this I have 304 points. I guess it helps to study the books in your craft and ask a lot oif questions about others religions.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff