Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Hookups and GayApps Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

EternalFlame Aeon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:09 am
You know I think its really sad how a lot of the gay community has become so focused on sex. I mean, there are what, like 20+ apps out there specialized to hookups and one-offs.

I have actually found it slightly amusing how some people complain about not being able to find "the one" when when they've been with so many "one" they have no idea how many it really is. In my opinion, we should get rid of the apps all together. The danger they pose is increasing as well, with the escalating rate of crimes committed through these hookup apps.

I dunno, ranting and rambling....

What are your thoughts on this?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:26 am
User Image
    Chris Ahari

▆▃▉▆▃▆▉▃▉
      A wild Chrisahari has been spotted.
      The sad fact is, that it's like that in the straight community too. I agree about the dangers they pose, but I think we can't just take them away. While I know that the internet is worldwide, the majority is American. And taking that away would be going against the constitution and the amendments, of freedom of speech or something like that. I totally agree with you, when I find the guy I want to settle down and have a life with, I'd rather get to know them in person first.
      Sending you #loveandaffection
      It's me, Chrisahari!

⇉Chrisahari_AMC⇇

chrisahari_AMC

Fuzzy Man-Lover

9,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:40 pm
so long as people try to be safe when meeting people from the interwebz or apps or whatever then i really dont see any issue with them

if people want meaningless sex then let them have sex with a hundred people if it makes them happy.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:33 am
EternalFlame Aeon
You know I think its really sad how a lot of the gay community has become so focused on sex. I mean, there are what, like 20+ apps out there specialized to hookups and one-offs.

I have actually found it slightly amusing how some people complain about not being able to find "the one" when when they've been with so many "one" they have no idea how many it really is. In my opinion, we should get rid of the apps all together. The danger they pose is increasing as well, with the escalating rate of crimes committed through these hookup apps.

While I'm not the hookup type and I agree the community is way too promiscuous (unnecessarily so), why would you suggest removing the apps altogether. You realize that in some towns, those apps are the only way to find gay guys in your area, especially if you're under 21 and can't go to the bars.

Very small minded of you.  

castrillo

Devout Man-Lover

9,700 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:10 am
These apps have more than one use. I guess they'd be in the minority, but there's people using these things sincerely.
There's also people who use grindr as a quick way of getting drug connects, don't know if that's a uniquely British phenomonon.
It's also forgetting that ultimately we can't hold to everyone wanting the same thing. Some of us LIKE casual buggery.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:43 pm
I think, in general, it's important to judge others and what they choose to do.

There is nothing inherently wrong with using Grindr. There is nothing wrong with using Grindr to find men to hookup with.

There's a pretty heavy stigma against the whole hookup culture, especially in the gay community which has a slightly perceived notoriety for promiscuity.

I've met some pretty decent guys off Grindr. I've had a couple of good hookups off of the app.

In all though, it takes a lot of sifting and getting solicited by 3x as many men you're more than likely not interested in, in the least. Additionally, the app itself is crap. I don't think I've ever encountered another app that worked less than Grindr does.

The apps aren't dangerous in of themselves. It's people who make poor choices. If something sounds or looks to good to be true, it probably is.

Realistically, and this might sound weird, but if you're planning on hooking up with someone off of an app like Grindr then you should contact a friend and notify them. Tell them where you're going/what you're doing, and be honest, and ask them to check in on you in an hour or two if they don't hear from you first.

With all things it's necessary to take precaution.

Additionally, I've not actually come across any statistics of rising crime rates committed through apps like Grindr. Although, it's more likely that certain crimes such as fraud, theft, rape, etc. are just being reallocated from say street crimes to crimes facilitated by the app. I can't imagine an escalation simply because the app exists.

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Bella Regina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:38 pm
EternalFlame Aeon

Many years of being sexually repressed (and closeted) can do that to ya.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:46 am
EternalFlame Aeon

While we're at it let's get rid of the internet because of the dangers and the amount of crime that it is used for! That's asinine. It's also not a gay problem, nor do I believe it's a problem at all. If two consenting adults want to hook up for fun who are you to judge them for it? As long as they play safe there's absolutely no reason why casual sex should be looked down upon. Just because it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean it should be forbidden to everyone else. Don't like casual sex or these apps? Simple, don't have it and don't use them.  

Karmerruk
Crew

Dangerous Lunatic

6,475 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Brandisher 100
  • Cash Grabber 500

LatinBsnDude

Savvy Cub

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:18 pm
castrillo
While I'm not the hookup type and I agree the community is way too promiscuous (unnecessarily so), why would you suggest removing the apps altogether. You realize that in some towns, those apps are the only way to find gay guys in your area, especially if you're under 21 and can't go to the bars.

Very small minded of you.
A man after my own heart. heart  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:21 pm
While the lgbt+ community is perceived to be more promiscuous, it seems that partying and casual sex has become a major staple of college culture.  

LatinBsnDude

Savvy Cub

aperto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:08 am
LatinBsnDude
While the lgbt+ community is perceived to be more promiscuous, it seems that partying and casual sex has become a major staple of college culture.

Exactly.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:33 pm
It's not my body.  

Isendis

kanterella

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:15 pm
I respect everyone's decision to do what they want to do. I just wish other people did that too. I have used different ones and still have one currently on my phone. Hookups are not for me. I always include that in my profile. I mark it looking for friends and possibly dates but not into hookups. Sadly I usually get nasty messages because I say I don't want to hookup or that I am looking for something else. They ask if I know I am on a hookup app but while they are primarily used for that they also have options for dating and relationships. I struggle a lot with them. cry  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:21 pm
People should be able to live their lives and be happy without the judgement of others. If hooking up with a lot of guys makes them happy, and they aren't hurting anybody, then what is the problem? Taking the apps away or deciding that people are better off without them is a very fascist mindset. Focus on what's good for yourself and what makes YOU happy, and mind your own business.  

Ezra

Fashionable Businesswoman

6,975 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100

aperto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:28 am
Ezra
People should be able to live their lives and be happy without the judgement of others. If hooking up with a lot of guys makes them happy, and they aren't hurting anybody, then what is the problem? Taking the apps away or deciding that people are better off without them is a very fascist mindset. Focus on what's good for yourself and what makes YOU happy, and mind your own business.

Exactly!  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces