Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Camwen

Distinct Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:57 am
Constant Cash announcements and PM's

Broken economy where marketplace items are in the billions.

Events that have no activities beyond "donating" gold.

Useless gold sinks paired with huge gold grant items bought with cash

I used to click through all the announcements to see if there were any "actual" site announcements but now I'm so tired of the cash ads I just let them sit. I'm marginally worried that I'll miss a real announcement but not enough to have to sift through all the crap to find them.

Is anyone optimistic about things changing for the better? I know they have a new (adult) site that they're pumping money into and using Gaia as a source of funding.

Post your thoughts and links to any good conversations going on in the general forums.

As an aside, a few of us are also hanging out at an alternative site when we need a break from Gaia's cash obsession. We have NOT left Gaia but have found this site refreshing and would love to see more friends there if you want to join us. It's http://recolor.me/ and we have an Adults Gaia Anonymous hangout in the friends chat. smile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:10 pm
Camwen

Got this info from a rec user...

You might want to pay attention to this...especially the part that they lied about reimbursing gcash if a person deletes their account or gets banned...

Quote:
"Modification of these Terms. Gaia reserves the right to modify or discontinue the Site with or without notice to you. Gaia will not be liable to you or any third party if we elect to exercise our right to discontinue the Site. Gaia reserves the right, at our discretion, to change, modify, add, or remove portions of these Terms at any time by posting an updated version on the Website."

This is a new addition to the Gaia ToS, which didn't apparently warrant any sort of announcement or notice for its users. In legal speak, this means "We'll shut down when we want and you have no recourse for demanding data from the forums or your profile and that you have no ability to demand a refund for unredeemed GCash or newly-spent GCash." The last is to defend that they can add this into the ToS without telling anyone.

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200

Camwen

Distinct Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:26 pm
humble_gypsy_traveller
Camwen

You might want to pay attention to this...especially the part that they lied about reimbursing gcash if a person deletes their account or gets banned...

Quote:
"Modification of these Terms. Gaia reserves the right to modify or discontinue the Site with or without notice to you. Gaia will not be liable to you or any third party if we elect to exercise our right to discontinue the Site. Gaia reserves the right, at our discretion, to change, modify, add, or remove portions of these Terms at any time by posting an updated version on the Website."

This is a new addition to the Gaia ToS, which didn't apparently warrant any sort of announcement or notice for its users. In legal speak, this means "We'll shut down when we want and you have no recourse for demanding data from the forums or your profile and that you have no ability to demand a refund for unredeemed GCash or newly-spent GCash." The last is to defend that they can add this into the ToS without telling anyone.

Oh wow!! You say this is a recent addition? That's kind of scary. I always thought that they'd just continue on indefinitely as long as there was a decent population here.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:38 pm
Camwen
humble_gypsy_traveller
Camwen

Quote:

Oh wow!! You say this is a recent addition? That's kind of scary. I always thought that they'd just continue on indefinitely as long as there was a decent population here.

Nope...seems like a dirty politician...take the money and run. Well as I'm too lazy to get the origin of the info...I'm guessing this is recent. I'm not going to give the contact link here...but I pm'd you the link to the thread...you can ask the poster for clarification if you'd like.  

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200

Lilygwen
Crew

Aged Explorer

7,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bookworm 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:40 pm
gaia_nitemareleft

Camwen

Looking at the announcements feels like looking at some one hitting with a hammer on their own hand over and over again. We have again new gold generator and all the announcements are about cash, cash, cash. It seems to be the only thing that they are interested on anymore. It's a real shame, since this place had potential and a large user base that really liked this site. Now it seems like they see us only as cash cows.

humble_gypsy_traveller

That modification doesn't really surprise me. Technically speaking, Gaia has the power to do what ever they want with the site. Sure, some one might file a complaint over lost bucks to the site, but they have enough bureaucracy machines behind them to shrug it of. Also, note that a lot of the users are non US residents and trying to get the different officials in different countries to even talk to each other is such a hassle, that it's pretty much pointless to try.

gaia_angelright

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:45 pm
Lilygwen
gaia_nitemareleft

Camwen

Looking at the announcements feels like looking at some one hitting with a hammer on their own hand over and over again. We have again new gold generator and all the announcements are about cash, cash, cash. It seems to be the only thing that they are interested on anymore. It's a real shame, since this place had potential and a large user base that really liked this site. Now it seems like they see us only as cash cows.

humble_gypsy_traveller

That modification doesn't really surprise me. Technically speaking, Gaia has the power to do what ever they want with the site. Sure, some one might file a complaint over lost bucks to the site, but they have enough bureaucracy machines behind them to shrug it of. Also, note that a lot of the users are non US residents and trying to get the different officials in different countries to even talk to each other is such a hassle, that it's pretty much pointless to try.

gaia_angelright

I ultimately know there's nothing anyone can do about it...and I know that some people already know of other sites from other sources...but I just hope that some users aren't in la la land and aren't thinking that maybe even tomorrow or next month they won't try to log on with the notification "this site has been permanently removed" or something along those lines.  

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200

Camwen

Distinct Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:46 pm
Lilygwen
gaia_nitemareleft

Camwen

humble_gypsy_traveller

gaia_angelright

Good point about the non US residents. 3nodding

I just noticed that they are also using the staff alerts for advertisement. Blarg!!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:52 pm
gaia_nitemareleft

humble_gypsy_traveller

Yeah. I've had this nagging feeling since the spring that this site might not be up anymore by the end of the year. Everything they do looks to be a countdown to oblivion. Good thing we found the recolor.me -site.

Camwen

Yup. They are using any form of messaging they can think of to spam you with cash ads. Good thing is, that the PM's have stopped. At least I haven't received any lately. Have you got them?

gaia_angelright

Lilygwen
Crew

Aged Explorer

7,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bookworm 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Camwen

Distinct Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:55 pm
Lilygwen

Yup. They are using any form of messaging they can think of to spam you with cash ads. Good thing is, that the PM's have stopped. At least I haven't received any lately. Have you got them?

gaia_angelright

The most recent one I got was on the 22nd.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:16 pm
Lilygwen
gaia_nitemareleft

humble_gypsy_traveller

Yeah. I've had this nagging feeling since the spring that this site might not be up anymore by the end of the year. Everything they do looks to be a countdown to oblivion. Good thing we found the recolor.me -site.

Camwen

gaia_angelright

I think they've stopped with the pm's...which I'm thinking that spells doom by the end of the year. I just hope that there's some way that we can get out to fellow guildies to come over...or at least stay in touch some how.  

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200

Inedible_Animals

Ghostly Animal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:43 pm
With in the first week of the cash pm's I had already put the admin account on ignore.

It feels like the two sides of the site are at war, there is the cash side throwing gold gens out left and right. Then, there is the weird gold sink events trying to burry all the gold the gens are pumping out, in what I assume is an attempt to save the sinking economy.

I was optimistic two months I was back, and I would like to be optimistic about the whole thing, but they keep ignoring peoples requests/complaints while the economy continues to inflate.

I would check out this "New Site", but it's name is weird and dirty and it makes me not want to check it out. -_-"

This other site you mentioned sounds nice, but it doesn't really show what it looks like with out sign up. Is it a basic forum site or does it have avatars?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:57 am
As for the TOS change, I've been spouting enough about them building up to cut and run that I'll leave it at that. Everything points towards building up money as quick as possible.

People are being banned right and left now too. Enough so that the daily unique visitors has begun to decrease. Many are amazed since they are paying cash – they don't realize that every member is now in a position where they are being itemized. Gaia is saying this person is hurting our bottom line, a guaranteed loss of one member is better than losing the ten he insulted, BANNED! Gaia also obviously wants to cut fat, if you are not putting enough money into the site, you're flippantly expendable.

And then there are the false anonymous gifts. The billion mythril coins are supposedly an element of trying to keep loyal members around. Huge items turning up in the garbage dive and anonymously gifted are being taken from permanently banned accounts by the site (which while awful, also means that they understand the inflation because if they spawned a new one, it would deflate the economy by increasing technical supply). When you get a supermassive item in the garbage, check out the person donating it, it's almost always a banned, closed, or gaia employee.

As for non-US members, they might actually be able to sue. See, here in the US and some other countries, a TOS element that basically reads as you're screwed and have no recourse is binding. However, some countries have regulations and laws that make such elements non-binding because they are at heart "get out of jail free cards." So if that happens, I would suggest anyone look into your nation's laws regarding TOS adherences.

I sincerely think that gaia has a marked pair of flipping points on this site. The first will be when revenue falls below a set ratio to expenses. At that point we're going to see a massive flood of gimmicks. If it goes back above the ratio, they will continue on until it falls again. Lather, rinse, and repeat. When it stops working, they will then hit the second ratio point. This will be marked with the final flood of gimmicks paired with huge numbers of bans (especially because TOS or no, a banned member has even less recourse than an end-of-site user could have) and total disregard for the function of the site. We might also see terminations of employment at gaia as they trim off unneeded staff. And then they will spontaneously shutdown after a designated time. I know it seems very specific, but this is just the loose plan a lot of companies online choose to go out.  

Exxos

Captain

Aged Bibliophile

Camwen

Distinct Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:32 am
Inedible_Animals
With in the first week of the cash pm's I had already put the admin account on ignore.

It feels like the two sides of the site are at war, there is the cash side throwing gold gens out left and right. Then, there is the weird gold sink events trying to burry all the gold the gens are pumping out, in what I assume is an attempt to save the sinking economy.

I was optimistic two months I was back, and I would like to be optimistic about the whole thing, but they keep ignoring peoples requests/complaints while the economy continues to inflate.

I would check out this "New Site", but it's name is weird and dirty and it makes me not want to check it out. -_-"

This other site you mentioned sounds nice, but it doesn't really show what it looks like with out sign up. Is it a basic forum site or does it have avatars?

I know what you mean about wanting to be optimistic but just losing hope that things will get better.

To answer your question about the other site (recolor.me) - it is an avatar site. So far it's really basic. It has a lot fewer items but you have way more control over the base of your avy. I think they named it recolor because it has two color sliders (one for hue and one for saturation) which you can use on your base and on any item - whenever you feel like changing it.

Here's a pic of my avy over there (I've changed it slightly since saving this version)

User Image

Exxos

I sincerely think that gaia has a marked pair of flipping points on this site.....

Interesting theory. It does seem to be headed that way but will it be fairly fast or very slow? I feel like Gaia is filling up with people who hang out on the sidelines of threads and wave around their "end of times" cardboard posters. lol - My problem is I just can't decide if they're a bit crazy? or I'm one of them. 4laugh ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:20 pm
Exxos

As for non-US members, they might actually be able to sue. See, here in the US and some other countries, a TOS element that basically reads as you're screwed and have no recourse is binding. However, some countries have regulations and laws that make such elements non-binding because they are at heart "get out of jail free cards." So if that happens, I would suggest anyone look into your nation's laws regarding TOS adherences.

gaia_nitemareleft

I think there might be some loophole in my local laws so in theory it could be possible. The only problem is that it's pretty much impossible to act upon the law if the site just decides to not respond or do anything. US authorities are also not required to act on it if it's legal in US. There have been few incidents slightly similar to this and they've all ended up to dead end. Only thing local authorities could do is to ban the company advertising and providing the service locally, but since Gaia is not doing that then it's pretty much lost battle from the start.

Camwen

I suppose we are all bit crazy in here. biggrin

gaia_angelright

Lilygwen
Crew

Aged Explorer

7,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bookworm 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Exxos

Captain

Aged Bibliophile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:58 pm
Lilygwen
I think there might be some loophole in my local laws so in theory it could be possible. The only problem is that it's pretty much impossible to act upon the law if the site just decides to not respond or do anything. US authorities are also not required to act on it if it's legal in US. There have been few incidents slightly similar to this and they've all ended up to dead end. Only thing local authorities could do is to ban the company advertising and providing the service locally, but since Gaia is not doing that then it's pretty much lost battle from the start.

In the end, my primary point is for people who spent money in the period of hours/perhaps days immediately before the site goes down. Since this alteration of the TOS can be considered premeditation, it might be possible to find a loophole or even just challenge the charge if made on credit card or other challengeable service.  
Archive

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff