Anuli kept her nose to the ground as she passed over uncharted territory. The young female kept a vague eye on her surroundings, but didn’t focus on them as much as she should have. It was simply unnecessary. All lions had been warned off by tales of the Kitwana, and the other species could be dealt with. She nosed around, finally finding something worthwhile; a little mushroom, one she knew to be edible. Gingerly she pulled it from the ground and gnawed on it, finally slinking down to the ground to feast on it.

Safi’s day had begun with nothing, but drama. His father couldn’t seem to understand that he had broken off his mating with Lulu not because he didn’t care for her, but because he didn’t care for her in the same way she cared for him. He loved her as a companion, but not a mate. She was to be his sister’s in a solitary fashion now, which was probably better for everyone in the long run. There were just some things twins shouldn’t share.

So he’d set out on an adventure to get his mind off things. That had led him to the borders of a pride, and furthermore, to a little wild dog. He’d almost tripped over her, she was so close. His eyes widened and he stumbled back with a curse. Why hadn’t he smelt her scent? “What the hell are you doing? You scared me half to death!”

Anuli’s eyes widened and in an instant she let out a shriek that rivaled a banshees. The little dog skittered back, belly as close to the ground as possible, until she ran into the trunk of a tree. Still she tried, her rump skittering up and bunching around her torso. “D-don’t kill me. Please!” Her soulless eyes looked at him with a mixture of fear and apprehension. She knew him to a lion hybrid, though she didn’t care to know the mix. Lions were dangerous! He would kill her for sure.

He frowned. “I’m not going to kill you so just calm down. Sheesh.” Safi blew out a puff of hot air and stepped forward carefully. He placed his paws on her dropped mushroom, and rolled what was left over to her. “See? I’m nice.” His words were acidic they were so sweet. “Now why chill out for a second, and breathe.” At this rate he was sure she would pass out if she kept breathing as heavily as she was. Safi had seen a similar reaction in small mammals many times in the past, but never from something this large. Was he really so fearsome? He was hoping for handsome, but not to her. Wild dogs weren’t his thing, unless his half-brother. What a weirdo.

She turned her head this way and that. Panicking was the only true emotion that she was able to show beyond her odd affections, but this was the one she felt strongest of all. A lion had been what scarred her back and caused her problems with walking from time to time. They were what left her with aches. He seemed nice now, but how long would it last? She needed Ekuweme, but he was gone now. She was really and truly on her own.

Licking her lips Anuli hesitantly took a deep breath and exhaled. She’d have to try to trust him, since she couldn’t outrun him. “If you stay in this area you’ll get sick, and die. It’s the Kitwana, so you should just go! Y-you’ve got lions blood, so it’ll kill you for sure.”

Safi was pretty sure that if he got to close to her she would either try doing something stupid, or faint. It made him feel pretty rotten, in all honesty! Why wouldn't they just...you know, believe him, when he said he was going to be a nice guy?

"Sick and die?" His eyes widened considerably. This turned the tides! "I've never even heard of the Kitwana, so who knows if you're telling the truth. Look, it's obvious that you're frightened and worried so how about we just both sit down for a minute to-"

"I'M NOT LYING." She all, but shrieked. It was possibly the first time in her life that Anuli had raised her voice in such a manner.

"There is a plague that stayed with this pride and you will suffer terribly if you catch it. I'm warning you for your own good! Stay far away from this place and live as long as you can. If you need more proof then that...well, you're as good as dead!"

If he needed to be walked in to show the dead and dying then she didn't know that she could help him. It was sad really, so sad, but what else could she do? She didn't like this guy, but she didn't want him to die.

To say Safi was now worried was beyond a doubt. He stepped back, holding his thicker paws half way into the air with a cautious look. He gulped. "And you say it only effects those with lion blood?" It would seem that way, since she herself wasn't hurt. Still...

What if she was lying? What reason would she have, though?

Safi looked over his shoulder, then back to the wild dog. He should flee now, while he still had a chance. Just because she couldn't get sick herself didn't mean that she wouldn't try to spread it.

Anuli raised from her position and barked at him. He wasn't getting it at all! Spirits were meant to be guides, but for this thick headed male she would have to be a force that moved him. A physical guide as well as spiritual. "Run, run away and never return should you value your life." Her voice was commanding but wistful, moving through the air like a stormy breeze.

Looking over her shoulder she made sure that no one else was watching when she said, "And carry a message to all the wild dogs you see - let them know that Anuli walks in the land of the dying lion. Promise you'll tell them and I'll make sure you get out of here alive!"

She moved past him at a jog and looked over her shoulder, "come on now, come! You have to run now before the guards hear us."

Safi didn't need any more encouragement than that. He yelped and stepped back. "Yeah, I guess....I mean, yeah, sure, whatever you say!" Sheesh, if she wasn't creepy enough, she had to start in on that virus voodoo? He gulped.

The leopon looked after the wild dog and took off at a brisk run after her, keen on getting far, far away from this place!

WC: 1127