Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Got a coming out story?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

chrisahari_AMC

Fuzzy Man-Lover

9,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:42 am
I recently came out to one of my friends, and he took it well. So that totals my count to... 2 people. sweatdrop

Anyways, I want to hear a story about how you came out, and maybe you can give some advice on how to?  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:23 pm
My coming out story's pretty hilarious. My ex threatened to tell my mom that I was bisexual after we broke up as a revenge of some sort that to this day I still do not understand. I told her my mom wouldn't care. She then followed up with threatening to tell her I smoke weed. I told her not only would my mom not care I'd patch her into the call. So I added my mom and she answered all confused. Here it goes as follows:

Me: Hey Mom, it's Todd. Amber decided she'd freak out for some reason and tell you that I was bi, which I am, and that I smoke weed, which I do occasionally.

Mom: Okay, so?

Me: Yeah that's about what I expected.

Amber(ex): So you don't care that your son is a f*****t?

Mom: I'd rather him be bisexual than a stupid b***h who doesn't know when to stop running her mouth. Todd, I care about you and love you no matter what and will not treat you any differently.

Amber: Ugh! -hangs up her phone-

Me: Thanks mom, you have a good night. See you at dinner.

It was pretty awesome. The only tip I can really give is that you coming out won't change who you are. Do it and if people react badly, ******** them. If they judge you they're not worth keeping around in the first place. And if they're supportive then go you. Don't be afraid. You got this.  

Muse_of_the_Soul

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200

Dark_Contortion

Mewling Fatcat

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:16 pm
My story is not really thrilling, I didn't go through hardships like most did ;^^ but I'll share:
So I was at the point where I began to question myself, I was 11 but noticed my "weirdness" when I was really young. I've noticed that I never had any crushes or never talked about guy celebrities like the girls in my class did. I automatically accepted myself since I grew up in a loving environment. With these thoughts, I decided to look this up on Youtube. A few weeks later I found out what I was, a lesbian, during my search I stumbled upon videos named "coming out" I wanted to do the same someday.
One night while my sister and I were watching TV on the couch the thoughts just played through my head and eventually I turned to her and told her. There was a silence, then she just said "You don't look like one." I didn't take much offense to that but I knew that she accepted me.
2 years later when I was 13 I decided to come out to my mother, I was hesitant since I've seen stories where kids got beat up for coming out. I pulled through and decided to continue though. When I tried to spit the words out I decided to play a guessing game, she eventually got to the whole "Are you gay?" I froze, I was too stunned to say anything next, I just left.
On the following weeks she pestered me about it until I had the courage to continue, she told me she accepted me and loved me because I was her daughter, she would love me no matter what and be by my side. I was relieved~
My advice is just come out to people you trust, if they react badly then they never were on your side on the first place. Don't just unleash it all on them at once though, get them into a calm surrounding so that it may help. Try to tell people you know well, so that you could predict their reaction, it kinda helped me~ sorry if this didn't help, I'm no expert ;^^  
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:54 pm
Muse_of_the_Soul
My coming out story's pretty hilarious. My ex threatened to tell my mom that I was bisexual after we broke up as a revenge of some sort that to this day I still do not understand. I told her my mom wouldn't care. She then followed up with threatening to tell her I smoke weed. I told her not only would my mom not care I'd patch her into the call. So I added my mom and she answered all confused. Here it goes as follows:

Me: Hey Mom, it's Todd. Amber decided she'd freak out for some reason and tell you that I was bi, which I am, and that I smoke weed, which I do occasionally.

Mom: Okay, so?

Me: Yeah that's about what I expected.

Amber(ex): So you don't care that your son is a f*****t?

Mom: I'd rather him be bisexual than a stupid b***h who doesn't know when to stop running her mouth. Todd, I care about you and love you no matter what and will not treat you any differently.

Amber: Ugh! -hangs up her phone-

Me: Thanks mom, you have a good night. See you at dinner.

It was pretty awesome. The only tip I can really give is that you coming out won't change who you are. Do it and if people react badly, ******** them. If they judge you they're not worth keeping around in the first place. And if they're supportive then go you. Don't be afraid. You got this.

This made my day lol. So far I've only told two people, one is super supportive, and the other says he's fine with it, but he hasn't really said anything more. (He still acts the same way towards me, so I assume he doesn't care.) I was freaking out about telling him, and even now, a week later I'm still nervous. One day I'll have that confidence though. xp  

chrisahari_AMC

Fuzzy Man-Lover

9,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

chrisahari_AMC

Fuzzy Man-Lover

9,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:57 pm
Dark_Contortion
My story is not really thrilling, I didn't go through hardships like most did ;^^ but I'll share:
So I was at the point where I began to question myself, I was 11 but noticed my "weirdness" when I was really young. I've noticed that I never had any crushes or never talked about guy celebrities like the girls in my class did. I automatically accepted myself since I grew up in a loving environment. With these thoughts, I decided to look this up on Youtube. A few weeks later I found out what I was, a lesbian, during my search I stumbled upon videos named "coming out" I wanted to do the same someday.
One night while my sister and I were watching TV on the couch the thoughts just played through my head and eventually I turned to her and told her. There was a silence, then she just said "You don't look like one." I didn't take much offense to that but I knew that she accepted me.
2 years later when I was 13 I decided to come out to my mother, I was hesitant since I've seen stories where kids got beat up for coming out. I pulled through and decided to continue though. When I tried to spit the words out I decided to play a guessing game, she eventually got to the whole "Are you gay?" I froze, I was too stunned to say anything next, I just left.
On the following weeks she pestered me about it until I had the courage to continue, she told me she accepted me and loved me because I was her daughter, she would love me no matter what and be by my side. I was relieved~
My advice is just come out to people you trust, if they react badly then they never were on your side on the first place. Don't just unleash it all on them at once though, get them into a calm surrounding so that it may help. Try to tell people you know well, so that you could predict their reaction, it kinda helped me~ sorry if this didn't help, I'm no expert ;^^

Sadly, I don't think my mom or sister would be as supportive. My sis would probably be tolerant, but my mom has openly voiced her opinion on homosexuality. Just the same old quote from Leviticus...

This did help by the way, thank you. wink  
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:29 pm
My coming out story is kinda simple... First: sorry my bad english...
I sit down with mom and said i want to talk, in this moment when she look at my face, i felt like... i'm freezing inside. But i'd come too far to go back so... i said:
Me: I have something to tell...
Mom: what?
Me: So.. i am gay...
She started to shake and cry (my mom had 2 heart cirurgeries)
Mom: You'll fight against all the world.
And she leaves the room... the next months was the worst months of my life, she was always crying... it was 3 years ago, today my mom is totally supportive, help me with anything i need. Last month she met my boyfriend smile

Sorry my bad english :/  

Hickachu

Invisible Cutie-Pie

7,650 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Nerd 50

Problematic Chinchilla

Dangerous Darling

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:53 am
Muse_of_the_Soul

Haha, this story is quite hilarious, ideed ;D  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:02 am
I came out very carefuly over the course of about a year razz

Did it one by one, first all my friends and classmates and school and eventually a family member found out (which mean my family found out)
I told my parents before the rumor spread to fast and basically sped up my telling everyone. So they would find out from me instead of rumors.

Siriously everyone I told was fine with it and I have had a loving boyfriend for over 3 years already ^w^  

Halowoof

Dangerous Explorer

8,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100

chrisahari_AMC

Fuzzy Man-Lover

9,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:49 pm
Since my last post I've came out to a few people, and it was a lot easier than thought. I still lock up when I'm getting ready to say it, but once it's out I feel much better. While I'm still not all the way out, I'm out to 6 people now, they all surprisingly were cool with it, even the ones who I thought weren't. I want to thank all of you who gave me the amazing advice. blaugh dramallama  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games