Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:19 pm
User Image

Gone for weeks, nearly a full season, and when he got home, expecting his daughter to have worried herself sick? She wasn't even there. He'd been nearly dumb-founded to find only Nyra guarding the platform tree house they used as...well, as much of a home as Kane would ever have allowed himself. She seemed to have recovered well from the stay in the Healing House and after nearly attacking him and insisting that she wear some 'trophy' she'd made for him, despite his protests that he didn't wear 'jewelry', she'd been quick to demonstrate her improved flying skills as well.

All that was well and good, but Kane had been puzzled as to where Vika had gone. Finally, the only answer he received was that she'd gone to see 'Gramma' some time ago and was staying there now. Selecting one of the bone and shell necklaces that he'd somehow managed to keep up with to bring back from his adventure, he'd offered it to her without much ceremony. Of course, she'd refused to take it until he explained he'd had to battle a great, underwater beast for it, so it was indeed a 'trophy'.

The present had him racing through the forest, a old familiar sensation after so long in the sun and sand on the ocean. Reassuring...which was doing well for the odd churning in his stomach. Why the hell was Vika staying at Takeko's instead of their home? Not that he should care...she was grown, she could stay wherever the hell she wanted to, of course. That didn't stop the odd instinctual unease that fueled his race through the trees.

Arriving at the homey cottage on the edge of the canyon, Kane took a moment to focus on the familiar, reassuring smells. The earthy soil, freshly tilled in the garden out back, the water in the air from the rushing river below, the fragrant blooms in the flowering trees. After a couple of deep breaths as well as a moment to shake out his shoulders and fold his wings calmly, he knocked twice, then immediately pushed open the door and walked in.

"Yo! Vika! You here?" he called out, glancing around the entrance way. "Nyra sa--okay, what the hell is that?" Something brightly-colored and moving immediately drew his attention from his search, leaving the striped demon staring in a disbelieving fashion at the wall near the ceiling on the other side of his mother's living room area.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:04 am
User Image

Turning her head slowly towards the noise, Xiulan continued nibbling on the large cabbage leaf in her hands. Noisy blue thing! She tilted her head at it curiously, though it likely didn't help much as she was also looking at him upside-down from this angle. Tiny antennae waggled, testing the air, but they told her little that she didn't already know. She didn't need to sense subtle vibrations in the air when the blue thing was so loud and big anyway!

"Kane? Is that you--?" The teal angel entered the room, her eyes following the demonic's line of sight as a disapproving frown crossed her face. "Xiulan! There you are! What have I told you? You need to stay down or you're going to hurt yourself!" she lectured, already pulling a chair over towards the wall. The little caterpillar Pae giggled and started crawling away, but not fast enough before the angel managed to climb up and get her hands around the chubby little child's middle. With a gentle pull, accompanied by four little suction-cup-like popping sounds, the child came free of the wall, giggling and waving her hands in the air as she was hauled back to the ground. Takeko shook her head, unable to help smiling, and continued her lecture, reaching up with one finger to tap the child's nose. "You are an adventurous little thing aren't you?"
User Image
Kane watched the exchange for a moment, then simply lifted an eyebrow and crossed his arms over his chest. "You will adopt any crazy, wild thing that wanders across your door, won't you, woman?"

Yes, he realized that included himself.

"Anyone who needs a home," the angel shot back without missing a beat. With practiced skill, she shifted the child into one arm and wrapped the other around her son. "You've been gone so long! We'd been worried, but I just kept telling myself that you could take care of yourself..."

"Bah," he scoffed, giving her a moment before escaping from the hug. "Of course I can take care of myself. I was having a vacation." That was putting things mildly. Even if he had sort of enjoyed himself to some extent after the worst of the death-defying events were over. A few weeks on an remote island paradise hadn't been that bad for the feral demon.

It was Takeko's turn to raise an eyebrow. "Of course you were. Well, I'll get the full story later," she quipped, ignoring the demon's eye rolling. "Come in, take a seat and relax, dear," she said, bustling off to set her charge down, who hopefully wouldn't immediately head for climbing the walls again.

"You were looking for Vika?"

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:51 am
User Image

Panic gripped the nymph's mind. No nononono, she wasn't ready for this!

Of course, she was happy to hear that her father was alright! It wasn't that; it was the realization that he was here, right now, in the house, and she still hadn't figured out a way to prepare for this conversation. Maybe she could avoid it altogether. Her eyes flicked towards the window over the kitchen sink.

Who am I kidding? I was having trouble just flying up to the tree house platform. There's no way I'm squeezing through any windows any time soon!

Training kicking in, she realized her situation was basically hopeless anyway. She'd spent far too long here. Her scent was everywhere. Her father had to know she was here by now and if she tried to slip out, he'd just follow her. She wasn't in any condition to be trying to play that sort of game with the hunter. Sighing in resignation, her posture slumped, one hand coming to rest on her growing belly.

Nothing to do but to face the music.

---

"Of course I am. She wasn't at home. Nyra said she was here and had been for a while...then started cackling," Kane answered with a frown before a new source of movement caught his eye.

Vika stepped into the doorway to the kitchen, leaning against the frame with a hesitant smile. "Daddy...you're safe!"

Kane stared, ignoring the relief in her tone in favor of staring blatently at the rounded belly of his daughter.

"What in the hell did you do while I was gone?"

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:43 pm
Yep, this was off to a good start. Vika cringed, looking down at the floor. "...I...you see, what had happened was..."

"I really don't want the details."

The deadpan interruption caused her hormone-driven temper to flare and heated magenta eyes to narrow on the feline demon across the room. "I wasn't planning on giving any!" she snapped back irately. And to think, she'd spent weeks worrying about how disappointed her father might be...thinking that his disapproval might be the worst that could happen...ha! Other worries had started to creep to the front of her mind in recent days as her belly swelled, and his next statement seemed to set her off like a switch flipping in her brain.

"So, just what do you plan to do about this?"

Vika stomped towards the male demon, irritation growing with each step under his steady, unreadable gaze. "Don't give me that holier-than-thou attitude! Like you're any better!" Neither had noticed that at the first signs of their aggression, Takeko had quietly slipped out of the room with Xiulan and back into the relative safety of the kitchen. "You think I don't remember? How I was nothing more than a 'mistake' to you when I was little? A burden forced on you from a slip up of your own at some party? You think I don't remember you trying to leave me here with Gramma on several occasions?"

"Maybe I don't know what I'm going to do yet! But, I know what I'm not gonna' do! I'm not gonna' take it out on the child for a mistake that I made!" She'd advanced to the point that she was standing face-to-face with Kane, or would be if not for the height difference. She poked him pointedly in the chest, continuing her rant, "What I'm gonna' do is handle the consequences for my actions without making an innocent child feel at fault for things they couldn't possibly control!" She was breathing hard when she finished, withdrawing her hand with a glare. "Now, is that alright with you, Father?" Her tone implied that she really didn't give a damn if it was or not at this point.

Kane didn't flinch or retreat when the nymph advanced on him, though he did raise an eyebrow at some of the things she shouted at him. Cripes, were all women like this? Apparently even ones that came from him. Must be a universal thing. Finally when she stopped to take a breath, he asked, "You done?"

Without waiting for an answer, he snorted, "Down, girl." Crossing his arms over his chest, he glared back at her. "What I meant was whether or not you've told the father. Or mother. Or whatever. I'm not even sure how these things work anymore..." he trailed off, rolling his eyes, then finishing his thought. "Whatever. I don't care what you're into, but they need to know."

Vika couldn't have looked more stunned if he'd hit her. Her mouth hung open and she tried to stammer some answer before giving up and just shaking her head.

Kane snorted, shaking his head. "Well, you've already said you're going to accept the consequences. You should both share that, since it was a combined effort. Can't force that, of course, but..." he shrugged. "The opportunity needs to be there. They at least need to know, just in case, I dunno...they want to be a part of this?" Awkwardly, he glanced towards the kitchen, wary of listening ears, then back at his daughter. His flesh and blood. He was saying things that thought he was supposed to say, but he hadn't completely blocked out what she'd said earlier. There was something more he wanted to say.

He stepped closer, taking Vika's arm and lowering his voice. "Look...I've made mistakes. Lots of them. And take note, cause you probably won't hear me say that again." A flicker of amusement, then it was gone again. "I...wasn't ready to be a father. I don't know if you're ready for this either. But I tried to reject it. As if it was something I could run away from. As if your Grandma would have let me. Heh. But...I got there eventually...didn't I?"

Vika glanced up slowly, meeting the cool blue gaze with her own.

"I did the best I could, even if it wasn't the best others could have done," he shrugged. "I made mistakes, sure, but...nothing too bad, I hope? We made it this far, didn't we?" He hesitated, dropping his hand from her arm. "You always were a smart kid. You know the mistakes I made...so you won't make the same ones, right? Well...from here on out at least," he added. Technically, she'd followed in his footsteps just ending up in this mess. At the least, maybe she could handle things differently than he and Magnus had.

They'd still not managed to settle things between them, years later.

"Just...don't do like we did? Maybe...things wouldn't have been so hard on all of us if we hadn't," he muttered, glancing aside. "It gets harder to deal with things as time passes. Best get it over with if you're going to deal with it at all. Rather than letting it fester like a wound." He sighed, starting to turn away. He'd never been this...open before. It was unnerving, but also...in a way...a relief to interact with his daughter like two adults, not a reluctant parent and a child. Still, it wasn't a type of conversation he was looking to have more often, that was for sure. He wasn't even sure how she would take it.

He was mildly surprised by the answer when he felt her arms wrap around his middle. Though she had to shift sideways for her belly, Vika embraced the demon and rested her head against his shoulder. "...thanks, Daddy."

He wasn't entirely sure what it was she was thanking him for, but he froze at first with a puzzled look..then allowed himself a half-smirk. He patted her shoulder, one wing folding down around her to return the embrace. Though he couldn't pinpoint exactly when it had occurred, at some point along the way it seemed he'd become more than just a father. He'd become a dad.

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:10 am
For most of his life, close physical contact was something Kane had shied away from. At best, he'd tolerate it for short periods, but he didn't usually seek it out. That's why he felt it odd that he had no such urge to withdraw immediately from the moment. Sure, their relationship had improved through the years as Vika had grown, but there had always been something there that just...hadn't felt right. With the things she'd said...perhaps their relationship wasn't perfect, but....they were making strides forwards.

It was exactly some of the things that she'd said that still bothered him on some level. It was a strange, foreign feeling, like a stirring in his gut, and he didn't like it. Life was so much easier when you could be selfish and not worry about others, but when they crept into life, whether you liked it or not, well...

"Hey, kiddo," he started quietly, using an old term from when she was quite a bit smaller. "Look...some of the things you said... I didn't mean...I wasn't trying to make you feel that way on purpose. I was just...being selfish. I've never been good about dealing with other people's feelings and I was wrapped up in my own issues and..." He hesitated, taking a deep breath. "I guess, what I'm saying is...I'm sor--"

Vika leaned back with a skeptical look. "Okay, you not being a complete a** is nice and all, but this is just weird. Were you actually about to apologize?"

"...maybe."

"Well, don't." Smirking, the nymph shook her head. "The sentiment is nice, but...I think that'd be a little too much to absorb right now."

A pause, then Kane smirked back. "You'd prefer I resume being an a** then?"

She smiled, raising an eyebrow. "Maybe."

"Fine. I wasn't planning on this becoming normal anyway."

"Good, 'cause honestly, it's a little creepy. I was starting to wonder if you were really my father or like...you disappeared and got replaced by some weirdo copy who wasn't really you."

Kane raised an eyebrow at this. "You've always had a strange imagination." He followed up with an attempt at the creepiest, over-the-top, malevolent expression he could muster. And received a smack in the arm for it. With a snort, he rubbed his arm. "You hit like a girl," he shot back, moving towards the couch to sit down.

"Gee, wonder why?"

He could almost hear the eyeroll that accompanied the statement and chuckled to himself. "Come on. Sit down so we can actually talk about this."

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:17 pm
The openness and honesty had been a relief, if only for a moment. But now, the awkwardness crept back in to fill the space between them, and Vika hesitated before crossing over to take a seat at the opposite end of the couch. She didn't miss the sideways glance aimed at her. Oh yeah, just because now after all these years, NOW he wanted to be 'Daddy?' It wasn't that easy. It took a moment to find her balance and sink carefully into the seat...damn this belly!

"So...anyone I know?"

Vika turned a grumpy frown on the demon.

"Just curious."

She rolled her eyes in response. "No." At least, she didn't think so. Then again, did she know everyone her father knew on the Isle? Of course not. But...she was pretty sure on this point. Afterall, said individuals were pretty distinctive, she thought, and surely she'd have heard something of them before, whichever one...

"You...do know whose it is, right?"

"Of course I do!" she shot back, perhaps a bit too quickly, adding a glare for good measure. Geez, could he see into her mind? Distressing thought...think something else...quickly... "It's not that, it's just...I didn't know what was going to happen, and...well, I don't know where he lives." A true enough statement.

"Oh." The curious eyebrow, raised at her odd response now lowered in some understanding. "I see. Well...sort of hard to go looking for him then to tell him, I guess."

"Yeah," she agreed sadly, internally relieved that her father seemed to accept that excuse, at least for now. Maybe he would let it go...

"You think about sending your cat to find him?"

The question took her by surprise. "I...no, no I haven't..."

"Just an idea," Kane shrugged. "Might be worth a shot, if nothing else. I mean, of course, he'd have to have some idea what to track, but..."

"Maybe...if nothing by then, maybe after the baby's here, then...well, it's better than nothing," Vika shrugged as well, secretly relieved to have what sounded like a possible way out. At least...a way to put this off until she could figure out what to do...maybe there wouldn't be an issue...maybe, when the baby came, it would be clear and she could decide what to do...

"Not to change the subject," she said, turning towards Kane, "But...I see Nyra managed to give you your 'trophy' that she worked on in the healing house." She let herself smile, seeing the eye roll quick to follow.

"I told her I don't wear jewelry," Kane grumbled, lifting the over-sized claw from where it dangled against his chest. He seemed to look it over thoughtfully, then shook his head. "She got big while I was gone. Brat wouldn't take 'no' for an answer. Figured if it'd shut her up," he shrugged noncommittally.

"Uh huh." Of course, he just wore it to placate her, sure. Hiding a smirk, a different line of thought begged pursuit now that certain obvious issues were out in the open...somewhat. "You were gone a long time," Vika acknowledged, shifting towards the middle of the couch which was more comfortable. "Where have you been all this time?"

"Got shipwrecked. Stranded on an island in the middle of the ocean for a few weeks."

A beat passed.

"...excuse me?"

"Not so bad really. Quiet place, decent food, lots of sunshine, not a lot of Pae around."

After staring at her father for a moment, Vika muttered in disbelief, "...Guardians, you're not kidding."

Reaching into a pouch at his waist, the demon pulled out the shell necklace he'd saved and unclasped it before holding it up. "See? Even got you a present," he smirked. Before she could object, he leaned in and draped it over the curve of her shoulders and fastened it at the back of her neck. "There! Jewelry for everyone," he snickered, pulling away before he thought she might smack him again.

He didn't expect to see tears.

He gaped in disbelief. "Oh, come on! What is this nonsense? I had something else too, but that can wait if you're just gonna' cry every time I give you something!"

Nearly laughing through the tears, Vika did punch him in the arm this time. "Shut up and tell me what happened!"

"I can't do both. Pick one."

"Just talk. I'm tired and gonna' lay down, but I wanna' hear a story," she snapped back, making a face before trying to make herself comfortable at the other end of the couch, half-sitting up, half-lying down, the weariness beginning to settle over her from the emotional confrontation and roller coaster earlier. She managed to listen to most of the exciting bits of the story, up until the long weeks stretching out on the island and the thought of the warm sun and the sound of the waves in her imagination helped lull her into a light sleep.

Kane trailed off quietly, watching her doze for a minute before standing. There was a simple woven throw draped over the back of the couch. He folded it down over the sleeping nymph, ruffling her short hair fondly as he passed on his way to the kitchen.

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:05 am
**Approximately one season after Venus' engagement party**

Kane awoke with a snarl, startled from a nap by a commotion from the next room. He'd fallen halfway off the couch upon waking, claws out and ready to tear something to shreds...when he actually noted the sounds of distress coming from one of the bedrooms. He nearly slammed into Takeko, rushing from the kitchen with a basin of water she'd heated over the cooking fire. "What the hell is going on?" he snapped, shooting a look towards the pained sounds while stabilizing the angel. Wait...was that Vika's voice?

"It's time!" Takeko snapped back, pushing past the demon as soon as she was stable.

Kane's eyes widened at the realization. Time? Oh hell...of course it was...Vika had gotten as big as bear prepping for hibernation as of late...and with a temper to match, he thought. It was a small wonder she hadn't popped...

"Wait...time...what...what now? What do we do?"

Takeko paused in rushing away to look back. She seemed puzzled at first, then her expression was touched with amusement. "You stay out of the way and let me take care of everything." She then promptly entered the bedroom and slammed the door shut behind her, leaving a stunned, perplexed demon blinking in the hallway.

Kane continued pacing outside the door, each step quick and sharp, betraying the anxiety the was building like energy that he couldn't release. The sounds from beyond the door caused his ears to lay flat; once he had recognized the sounds of distress in Vika's voice, he'd been unable to leave the hallway. He wasn't worried or anything like that...no, just...

He froze when a new cry joined the other muffled voices beyond the door. He turned expectantly, already staring when the door opened a couple of minutes later. Takeko emerged, smiling widely down at a small bundle in her arms. She beckoned Kane over with a nod of her head.

"She's not been cleaned up yet, but if you really want to help," Takeko chuckled, handing the bundle over to Kane. "Congratulations, Grandpa." She then glanced back over her shoulder, frowning. "Err...excuse me, dear..." Before Kane could say a word, she'd disappeared into the room again and shut the door.
User Image
Despite popular belief, Kane had eventually learned that the proper way to hold a baby was not at arm's length, hanging in a bundle of blankets. He still appeared no less dumbfounded, however, when he was left alone with a newborn tot in his arms. He hadn't been given a chance to respond, instead only able to blink down at the baby nestled safely in layers of fabric. A little girl? That was what Takeko had said, wasn't it?

She looked...so much like Vika had as a baby. Her colors were much the same too, right down to the facial markings. She wasn't screaming any more (fortunately), only making small noises as he shifted her slightly. That was when her tail slipped free of the wrappings, brushing past his waist to dangle freely. Peering down, he raised an eyebrow. Well, that's interesting. Guessing that's something she got from the other parent.

Aside from his vastly different reaction to the presentation of the baby into his arms, he could have been transported back through the years, a tiny tot to be named Vika wrapped in a similar blanket. Was it really so long ago? Somehow, it seemed only yesterday...and yet forever ago...at the same time. Brow knitting, he reached to move the damp purple strands of hair aside that clung to her face. So much like her...and yet, at the time, he'd never held her like this...

He'd really screwed up, hadn't he? He could be a jerk, yeah, he knew that. He didn't believe in sugar-coating things, blunt and to the point was always the way to go. He didn't have time for whiny Pae who needed coddling. But, if what Vika had shouted at him when he'd returned had been true...if he'd really done that to her, made her feel like that...that went far beyond just...being curt. He couldn't even answer for why he'd done some things...it was like...he was different person.

But, had he really screwed up completely? If he had...wouldn't Vika have left long ago? Would she still be here...would he still be here? In this moment? Holding her newborn daughter? Somehow, he doubted it. They still had a long way to go...but just the last few weeks had felt different between them. Like...the air had been cleared and they could start again.

His musings were interrupted by another cry from behind the door, a few minutes later opening again for Takeko to emerge, grinning and holding another bundle.

"Let's move to the living room, dear, take a seat, hmm?"

Kane didn't argue, for once, following along with a curious glance towards the bundle. He didn't have to wait long, as soon as he was seated, the angel passed him the second bundle with a giggle.
User Image
"Another little girl. Isn't she a doll?" Takeko giggled, making sure she was secure with 'Grandpa' Kane as well as comfortable.

Kane stared down at the second bundle. She looked much like her sister regarding features, he noted, but her colors...she was bright crimson, like blood. The other parent again, he guessed. The facial markings were still there, though fainter against the bright color. Her hair was more of a silvery-blue, touched with purple...different, yes, but he could still see the resemblances plain as day.

From down the hall, a sharp cry, then "...nngh, Gramma?"

Takeko's smile faltered and the angel looked back in concern. "Uh oh...coming, dear!" She stepped away from Kane, heading back towards the bedroom.

Shaking his head, Kane looked up, realizing he'd become 'trapped' by the pair of newborns in his lap. "What is it? What's wrong?" He'd heard the panic in Vika's voice, instinct telling him to rise up and protect, though he fought that to remain seated for the moment.

"I don't think she's done yet. There's more on the way!" Takeko shot back, disappearing down the hall into the bedroom once more.

Silence followed, at least there in the living room. Then, in a stunned voice, the demon echoed, "...more?"

That single word, somehow, seemed to make it all hit home. Kane stared down at the pair of little girls, wrapped comfortably in their blankets and resting with only a whimper or a whine from time to time.

He was a grandfather.

A grandfather.

...oh hell.

Two more. In addition to the first two. And the second pair had been as different from the first two as they had seemed at first. Pale colored little boys with fine hair and fancy little wings. As different as they seemed from the darker colored girls, still the tiger stripes remained faintly, a trait they could tie to their currently flabbergasted grandfather.

Vika wasn't answering any questions right now. She was just relieved it was all over finally. She'd insisted on seeing them all again before she rested, even though Takeko assured her they'd be cleaned up and taken care of while she got some sleep. The exhausted nymph could see the questions on the other adults' faces, and frankly, she wasn't sure how to answer them.

At the moment, it was enough for her that they were all here and healthy. And that perhaps...just maybe...she could get some rest first before she had to figure out how to address this new issue...

User ImageUser Image

Strawberri Stardust
((You girls don't have to reply if you don't want to. Not a lot for newborns to do anyway. XD))

Irish Night Fox
((Just wanted you both to see that they're actually born now, lol!))

:[ The Fifth Age ]:

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games