User Image

Some time after dawn, the winds had shifted. A leopardess was found before several piles of miscellaneous objects; aloe leaves, baobab seeds, stinging nettles, and a variety of other plants stacked together neatly in their respective groups while bones, also arranged categorically, encircled her. She sat quietly, assessing the ingredients with the only movement found at the end of her tail.

Ladislav, days after the rhinoceros find and since having filled his stomach to satisfaction, followed the breeze to her. For the lion, uncertainty gave him reason to pause. The leopardess showed no preference to have him stay or go, and offered to him only the briefest of glances before returning to her goods. When intrigue kept him rooted, the leopardess began to speak with no sign of polite pleasantries on the way.

Ambri: “Err on the side of caution.”

Ladislav: "What?"

Ambri: "..."

Ladislav: “What for?"

Ladislav: "Do you see something?”

Ambri: “No.”

Ladislav: “I don’t understand?”

Ambri: “You do not understand what? Being cautious?”

Ladislav: “What for?”

Ambri: “Is it not wise to always err on the side of caution in a world that is so very unpredictable?”

Ladislav: “I suppose. But it is a terrible waste to live ones life afraid of a shadow.”

Ambri: “I did not say you should live in fear. Simply… cautious.”

Ladislav: “So… a general warning then? I could say the same to you.”

Ambri: “Indeed. I am thankful or your concern.”

Ladislav: “What is this that you are working with?”

Ambri: “The skull strung up around your neck, grey and black plumage with a fire mark upon its eyes. Secretary bird, correct?”

Ladislav: “Ahh, I’m not entirely sure. It was given to me some time ago, by an elder I knew well of.”

Ambri: “A pride?”

Ladislav: “….yes.”

Ambri: “Were you king?”

Ladislav: “It was a long time ago.”

Ambri: “A king without his court. Without his queen. Something terrible must have overcome them…”

Ladislav: “...”

Ambri: “I understand. Often times a troubled past is best left to that. It's good to remember such things, however.”

Ladislav: “I will never forget...”

Ambri: “Of course… It is a Secretary Bird. The few I've come in contact with have been surprisingly violent. I've seen them prey on the savannah snakes like newborns ravaging a mothers teat. They are formidable foes to the reptilian populous, keeping your paws from being on the other end of venomous fangs. In killing it, your elder removed a threat to the serpents. It likely wards off the danger of a deadly bite in two ways: the skull itself may have been blessed, and the creatures who would otherwise be killed view you as some sort of... hero. Guardian. Protector.”

Ladislav: “How did you-- I… I have never been bitten, at the very least.”

Ambri: “Which is proof enough of something.”

Ladislav: “Is that what you're doing? Preparing… wards?”

Ambri: “A part.”

Ladislav: “There are quite a few bones there… have you killed them all recently?”

Ambri: “No. I have been saving most of these for specific times in the future. Some, have kept for the good they’ve done me in the past.”

Ladislav: “The future?”

Ambri: “This one, however, was dinner.”

Ladislav: “I’m sorry, did you say the future? Can you see the future?”

Ambri: “I cannot.”

Ladislav: "Who can?”

Ambri: “My sister.”

Ladislav: “Your sister… where is she now?”

Ambri: “…Away.”

Ladislav: “No need to look so suspicious. I’m only asking.”

Ambri: “The future is not always worth seeing. At times it can be very depressing.”

Ladislav: “You can be less cautious when you know what is to come, though?”

Ambri: “Not true! In fact, you must be all the more wary. The future is not concrete. What you know of it now can change in a second, simply because you know. It is very tricky.”

Ladislav: “I suppose that makes sense.”

Ambri: “It does?”

Ladislav: “Why does that surprise you?”

Ambri: “I suppose it doesn’t, really.”

Ladislav: “You are a peculiar female.”

Ambri: “All a matter of perspective.”

Ladislav: "It is, you're quite right."

Ambri: "... Because you are here, and because I know, I will inform you of this. A change will soon occur."

Ladislav: "Change?... change is always occurring. You don't need clairvoyance to know that."

Ambri: "This is a different type of change."

Ladislav: "Was she specific? What kind?"

Ambri: "Yes. She specifically said this was a different type of change."

Ladislav: "I... see. Do you truly believe her?"

Ambri: "Yes. She has predicted things in the past, and given insight for the future."

Ladislav: "Would I be overstepping my boundaries in asking... what exactly she's predicted?"

Ambri: "... Yes."

Ladislav: "Has she ever been wrong?"

Ambri: "Of course."

Ladislav: "And that has not concerned you?"

Ambri: "Not in the least. The future changes, as I have already mentioned."

Ladislav: "Huh... What was all that about the future being unpredictable?"

Ambri: "It is very unpredictable. For some. And even still, for those who think they know exactly what to expect things can change."

Ladislav: "Then I guess I appreciate it.... So, how much longer will you be alone? Shall I keep you company until your sister returns?"

Ambri: "No need. It is best that I bless these in private anyway."

Ladislav: "That's not a ritual I've ever heard of?"

Ambri: "Trust in that you would not want to know what some of these bones will ward off."

Ladislav: "Careful, you starting to peak my interests."

Ambri: "I am always careful. Our paths may cross again someday."

Ladislav: "Yes... perhaps. Before I go... what is your name?"

Ambri: "It is best if you do not know."

Ladislav: "Well you may call me--"

Ambri: "Stop. Keep it to yourself."

Ladislav: "Fine... If you insist. Good bye, then."

The leopardess returns to her musing, silent and still aside from the occasional thump of her tail. To the lion, it’s as if he hadn’t interrupted her in the first place, the level of focus not even turning an ear in his favor. Ladislav’s leave is as uneventful as his arrival, and without another word he parts ways with the female; taking with him the thought that all leopards on these new lands must be strange.

WC: 1043

User Image