User ImageIt was late. The sun set and faded into twilight. The sky was a mix of purple and blue evening hues quickly darkening black. What little light there was from the stars and moon. The dark never really bothered Willow Wisp. She was unicorn with an unusually horn that had a bright blue-ish glow. Almost like a nightlight, it helped her find her way in the dark; little really frightened her at night.

Willow Wisp went out to see if she would find any elusive mythical creatures. Her interest lay in unusual and ferocious beasts, like dragons and minotars; she wanted to know if such creatures could be kind and wise, more than what their outward appearances made them seem. It was an interest that likely stemmed from the oddities that were her siblings and the other mutants. She was the kind of unicorn that believed in all sorts of magic, and that their had to be goodness to even the darkest things (and vice-versa). If she came face-to-face with something wicked, perhaps she could show them the light, literally and figuratively.

What Wisp found this particular evening was not at all what she had set out to however. As the brown unicorn weaved her way through the dark forest, she went off the beaten trails. Wisp knew her way around, having spent many hours and days hiking around. She had a keen seen of direction, and easily found her way without the help of any compass. It helped that she had studied all the maps of the area that she could, but experience was the best teacher.

The woods were dark, but peaceful. Moving deeper into them, Wisp could hear a faint sound. Wondering what it was, Wisp drew closer to the sound, hoping that perhaps it was the cry of mighty beast. The closer she came; it became obvious that it was not a beast at all but the sobs of another young phony. Peering around a tree trunk, Willow Wisp saw the defeated form of young babben slumped over a log. She stepped on a branch, and the crack alerted the other phony to the presence of someone or something else.

“Hellooo?....Aaah!” The babben shrieked seeing nothing but a shadowy form and floating blue-ish light. Who knows what it looked like to them.

“It’s okay! Don’t worry, nothing to fear at all, I’m just another phony.” Wisp stepped out from her spot and came up to the smaller babben. “See? Not scary at all.” Wisp smiled, showing her teeth. The babben still cried. Gently, Wisp placed her hoof on the babben’s back and lightly patted. “Can you tell me why you’re upset?” It didn’t really occur to Wisp that being alone in a dark forest could be enough reason.

Between sobs the babben managed to get out a few words here and there. “I was on a picnic with… my… my family. My br.. brother ate my dessert, and I got mad and stormed off. ….But I got lost… and.. and… now… I… don’t know how to get home!”

Wisp lightly sighed. Sibling rivalry. With siblings of her own that, Wisp knew how difficult at times it could be to get along and relate. But she knew that running off was not the answer to problems. ‘One issue at a time,’ she told herself. Smiling again, Wisp offered her hoof to the distressed babben and helped pull her up. “I could show you the way out, if you want. I know my way around here.”

Slowly but surely, Willow Wisp and the lost babben walked back through the forest. As they walked, Wisp asked about the babben’s family and the picnic. “It sounds like you were having a good time, up until dessert. You must’ve been hurt that your brother ate the pie you were looking forward to.” The babben only nodded. “But maybe running off like that wasn’t a good way to deal with it. You could’ve talked to him about it, or your parents. Maybe asked for another dessert at home, or suggested that if he ate your dessert today, he owed you his tomorrow.”

“Yeah… I guess that makes sense.” The babben chirped back. Eventually, Wisp and the babben found their way back to a familiar and well-worn trail. Signs pointed towards resting points and a popular campsite. They could hear shouts, calling for the lost babben, “Cookie Crumble! Cookie!”

“I think your family is looking for you.” Wisp nudged the smaller babben, “I bet you can find your way from here. Just follow this path.” She watched the phony scamper off, and felt a sense of satisfaction in helping someone else. It was then that she knew that what her purpose was. It wasn’t finding dragons, being a hero or a villain. It wasn't seeing the good within the bad. It was to help others, finding lost souls and guiding them on to the right path, figuratively and literally. A little sage advice could go a long way.