Lirona knew that she was different then her brothers. Her brother's were treated with respect. Those who took care of them would treat them like they were made of glass. She was treated similarly, except she felt that instead of being glass that she was some sort of poison. The pride was made up mostly by males. Females were few in numbers and usually were kept in a den where they were hardly seen. Only some females were allowed to walk the pride freely. She was one of the few, along with her sister and aunt.

She was thankful that she was allowed to go where she wanted when she wanted, but there were some males who would glare at her as she walked by. Others would turn around as she walked down the tunnels just to avoid her. She knew that most didn't mean anything by it, that they just didn't know how to react to her, however it made her feel like something was wrong with her, like she was broken.

As she walked the tunnels, toward where her father's den was, she could see the cool eyes of those around her. She might have been the princess of the pride, but to them she was nothing more then a lowly female, worth nothing to them. Her eyes watched them as she passed them, giving them a soft smile as she walked. She walked with her head held high, like the princess she was.

Sometimes she would run into the situation where they wouldn't move to the side for her, that they expected her to move around them. At first she would do this, but then it became worse. They would try to walk over her as if she didn't exists. She couldn't handle it anymore and decided that she would never move out of the way for anyone, that others should move for her.

She reached her father's den. “Father are you in?” she asked. She wanted to talk to either Nahasi or Juan. Both of them cared for her and she knew that they would listen to her problems.

Nahasi opened one of his eyes upon hearing the voice of his daughter. He had been resting. All morning he had been working with the council as they worked on a plan to restore the tunnels. They had encountered a tunnel that was under a creek. Droplets of water would occasionally leek through. It was a concern for them, but there wasn't much they could do about it for the time being. They talked about filling the tunnel up and reconstructing it else where.

He had needed a break from the council for the time being. Lately he hadn't been feeling well. Nightmares plagued his dreams. At night he found himself sleeping less and less. Days like today he would try and sneak away and spend sometime taking a nap. However if work didn't need him, his family did.

Quietly he stood up. He got to the entrance of his den and looked at Lirona. She was his talented daughter. When she was young she showed her skills in singing. He had been so proud of her.

However it was obvious from her facial expression that she wasn't thinking about singing him a son. There was something troubling her. “Come in Lirona.” He said, moving out of her way so she could enter the den. “Is there something I can help you with?”

She walked in and sat down and stared at her father. How did she want to put her desires into words? She wondered. The last thing she wanted was to insult her father, however she knew that if she didn't express how she felt that she would be trapped here.

“Father, I am going to be leaving Mazunguko.” Lirona blurted out. Her ears went back as she finished speaking. She meant to say it more carefully and choose more choice words. What was done was done though. She didn't want to stay in the pride any longer then she had to. Inside the pride she was stuck, locked away. She had never even stepped foot outside. Her aunt was able to go in and out of the pride as she pleased. But her father was always so protective of her. When ever she asked he would tell her 'not now, wait until you are older' But she couldn't hold it in anymore. Unlike the other times, she wasn't asking for his permission. This time she was telling him. If he told her to wait, then she would gather her things up and leave regardless.

He had no idea what it was like for her to be locked up in the pride, to be looked down on by your peers. At her age, he was king of the pride. Everywhere he went the brother's would respect him but her? They would just look down on her.

“I came her out of respect father. I am leaving even if you say not to.”

Nahasi bent his head down. This was something he had been dreading for a while, but knew it would be coming soon. Lirona was still young and full of energy. She was talented beyond her years and yet she was stuck in Mazunguko where her talents would be ignored by the other members. Out of all the cubs, she was the first to ask to leave the pride, just for a day. He had rejected her request saying that it would be too dangerous. She would ask again and again. He had allowed some of her brother's to leave the pride, yet he kept her close.

The idea of his little princess out on the surface terrified him. He knew that if there was any danger that she would be able to handle herself, but it was difficult to let her go.

“I understand. I do not want you to leave, but if it is something you feel is necessary, then please go to the rogue land. I just- please return. Even if you decide you do not want to come back, return to say good bye to me and the rest of your family.” He could feel guilt rising inside him. In his gut, he knew that she wouldn't return, that she would find happiness outside the pride. If she did he would be happy for her of course, but he would miss seeing his daughter.

Lirona could see on her father's face that he wasn't happy. “Father, I'm sorry. I know this is going to be rough. But please understand that I want to know more about the world. I don't want to be stuck in the tunnels for the rest of my life. This is a safe haven for you and the other brothers but not for me. I have never felt welcomed here. I need to see what the world has to offer.” She explained.

“And I have every intention of coming back. I do not want to abandon my family. That is the last thing that I want to do. If I do end up staying on the surface, then I will come back and tell you.” She said, her heart beat quickening. In her head, she had this conversation many times, but now that it was actually happening she felt like her head was spinning.

“I understand.” Nahasi said, stepping close to his daughter. “You are so important to me, but you are right. You need to find your own happiness. If you are willing, I would like to have a small family gathering before you go.”

Lirona gave her father a smile of relief. “I'm leaving tomorrow morning. I do not want to have a gathering, because I don't want to see my family sad by my departure. I rather wait till I get back to see their faces once I return.”

He nodded his head. “Well then, I guess this is good bye then.” He stood up before she could say anything. “I need to head back to the council. During your journey keep yourself safe alright?”

Her eyes watered. She set her head on his shoulder. “I will come back someday father. I will tell you all about my adventures.”

“I cannot wait until that day.”

(WC: 1,388 )