A Bubbly New World
By Vanessa Larkin

It all began not long ago when I was sitting in the school library. A fresh day with a slight breeze and not a cloud in the sky, you may be asking yourself why I was inside on such a beautiful sounding day. The answer, homework, it's always homework. Having been a little too indulgent in watching anime (The new Legend of Korra! Yay!!) over the past week, and a few other series I am currently interested in, I found myself in the most annoying of situations. One week and three essays, the analysis of a short story and an art portfolio to complete.

But how I ended up here? Keep listening and you'll find out.

Sitting at one of the many computers, I was reading up on Calligraphy as one of my essay topics. So far I had decided to rename the essay 'Kallos Graphe' from the Ancient Greek translation, and introduce the topic at hand. But as I was grasping for a word most outwardly (looking off in different directions, biting my bottom lip, nibbling on a fingernail or two) I noticed something rather unusual.

Gaia.

After forgetting once again about writing an essay, I watched a girl several computers down from me for quite some time. I was fascinated as she scanned pages of artwork, beautiful anime line art filled with the most astonishingly bright of colors. I was curious, and after printing off a blank page I slowly stood up and retrieved it from the printer behind her.

With a better view I memorized the URL, and noticed her avatar (as I know know it was called). Wearing white, gold and green colors that matched so well, and her bleached blonde hair wafted around her like she was caught in an updraft. It made her look like some goddess, and I was jealous that she was represented in such a way online.

I wanted to be the goddess.

Sitting at home now, typing away on my laptop like I'm reliving that moment again and again I feel as though this place has cast some sort of spell on me. Now I sit and wait so I can save up enough to transform from my ugly duckling self into that goddess that inspired me only two days ago.

It might be good to know that whilst I have been waiting, I've managed to complete that essay, and add several pieces to my portfolio. Perhaps one day I'll even post my art online to sell for some gold, but as mainly a photography lover, its possibly not as wanted as sketches of an avatar or original character.

Well, that's how I ended up here. As a guild high up on the list, you were the first I joined, and I hope we'll be a good team.

This is Vanessa Larkin, signing off.