Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:31 am
User Image

When he was young, Uchanjaa had been told that everything looked clearer, brighter, and simpler in the morning, after a good night's sleep. Well, given the occurances of last night, it was a bit later than morning, but he'd finally managed to get a good amount of sleep. Then after steeling himself, the brown lion made his way to the slave dens in search of his eldest daughter. He had promised himself a talk with her, and by the Great Lion, he meant to have it!

As he went, he saw other slaves, some going about their business, some talking with their heads together. He nodded to those he knew, but kept straight on for the den Halili and Orion shared with their children. He didn't trust himself to deal fairly with anyone, regardless of class, until he'd dealt with the matter at hand.

So it was that when he reached their den, the Guard took a few moments to breathe deeply and calm himself. He didn't want to storm in like an angry father (though he was), but he wanted to give the girl a fair chance to explain herself. Uchanjaa couldn't see how she could do that, but he desperately hoped that Halili had some sort of legitimate reasoning behind her actions.

Finally, he felt he was ready for the confrontation.

"Halili? Daughter, I need to speak with you," he called into the den as firmly as he could.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:37 am
User Image

Something about being in your own den made even the most unnerving and paranoid of times easy to sleep through. Orion hadn't been sleeping long but he was finally sleeping comfortably after everything that had been happening and running through his mind. He didn't realize he had been left alone until he heard a voice calling for Halili. Sleepy and initially confused, Orion only blinked out into the bright entry of the den.

How long had he slept? Definitely not long enough.. but whose voice was that and who were they looking for? Halili- but, as one quick look around showed, she wasn't here.

"Uchanjaa?" he murmured suddenly, louder than he intended. Finally shaking off his tired confusion, he got to his feet and emerged from the den, "Halili isn't here, she must have gone out when I fell asleep.."

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:46 am
Uchanjaa exhaled, releasing the air in his lungs in a long, concentrated blast through his nostrils. This was not at all what he wanted to hear, but it wasn't Orion's fault in the least. In fact, Orion hadn't been there at all last night, which was all to the good as far as the brown lion had been concerned. Would that Halili hadn't been there either.

"I don't suppose," he replied, tone stiff with suppressed anger, "that you know where she is right now?" If he had to, he'd pull her away from any duty she was currently working to have this chat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:50 am
Orion found Uchanjaa very intimidating, not least because he was the father of his mate. But he was usually a much kinder face than this, he was clearly upset- they all were, really.. but it seemed oddly misplaced if this was just about the general situation they were all in as a pride.

"What's wrong?" he asked, frowning, deciding not to answer the question about Halili's whereabouts at that moment. He didn't really have any idea but he wasn't sure if saying that was going to make things worse.

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:56 am
Eyebrows bore down upon lavender eyes as Uchanjaa gave Orion a closer look. The younger lion seemed to be utterly sincere in his curiosity, but he wasn't providing any aid in locating Halili.

"You mean aside from four of the highest ranking and most beloved lions in the pride being slaughtered so that a young egomaniacal lion can take power?" he responded, venom replacing the stiffness in his voice.

"Well let's see here," the brown lion looked up as he considered how best to phrase things. Once he had it straight, Uchanjaa nodded to himself and turned his attention back to Orion. "Now I'll be the first to admit it was a rash and stupid thing for me to do, trying to rush and attack Shangyue, but anyone would do something stupid if they'd just found out the girl they helped raise had been killed by her own ungrateful son. But what's wrong," he emphasized the word strongly, "is when that someone's daughter decides to block his path and defend the murderer!"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:02 pm
Orion's ears flattened against his mane. Nobody needed to remind him, he hadn't forgotten. It was his own family, his cousins and his aunt and uncle that died.. and it was his own class that was implicated in the whole thing, his sister being hunted through the night, which was why he was only just getting some sleep now. But he didn't have the nerve to talk back, slavery aside, Uchanjaa was that much more intimidating today.

His eyes widened when Uchanjaa explained how he had attempted to attack Shangyue-- how was he just hearing about it now! Hadn't Halili seen Shangyue, heard whatever speech it was he gave? He hadn't asked enough questions about it but surely this would have come up-- and then it became very apparent why it hadn't.

"Halili defended Shangyue?"

It didn't make any sense.

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:09 pm
The lavender eyes widened in surprise before narrowing slightly in satisfaction. So, Orion hadn't known about that bit of last night. Very interesting. And he seemed as shocked, and perhaps angry, as Uchanjaa himself. Good, he had an ally in this. He had no idea still what to do about it, but having an ally would help whenever he did know.

"Yes. My daughter, your mate, Halili took advantage of my distraction by another Guard defending Shangyue to step between him and me. And stayed there until the so-called Heir left again." Uchanjaa's voice very much suggested that he'd like to spit at the thought, but the lion had been raised far too politely for such a crude response to come naturally.

"It seems," he observed unnecessarily, "that she failed to mention her part in all of this to you."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:16 pm
"All she told me was.."

What did she tell him? Nothing, really. She had implied that she was around for a speech by Shangyue that involved seeming apologetic enough about the murders to want to 'make up' for it and that he said things that sounded kingly enough, something about making the pride stronger. He should have pressed for more details but he was still so dumbfounded by how this had all happened with the apparent support of the low class without him, his parents or his grandparents noticing.

"I guess she didn't really tell me much," he murmured after a long pause, "Are- are you sure she just didn't want to stop you so you wouldn't get hurt?"

It was a nicer thought, perhaps even plausible if you questioned Uchanjaa's perception. He had, after all, admitted it wasn't necessarily wise of him to try to attack Shangyue.. maybe he was wrong about this, too. Never mind that Orion himself didn't think trying to attack Shangyue was entirely uncalled for.

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:23 pm
Uchanjaa waited as Orion thought over what he'd been told. Given the younger lion's surprise, he was quite certain that Halili had left quite a bit out in her tale-telling.

He did give a small start of surprise at the question Orion did ask at last. The brown lion thought back to the previous night before answering, and when he found the memory, his jaw hardened.

"When she stood in my way, she said 'He is our King'," the lion related bitterly, betrayal surging through him once more as he had to repeat the words verbatim.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:36 pm
For a minute, when Uchanjaa paused to review his memory of the night before, Orion looked hopeful. It would be so much less complicated if Halili was outraged at Shangyue and not those who opposed his methods and his rule. Then Uchanjaa said she already accepted him as their king.

"She said that?"

He frowned, clearly troubled by this news. He wasn't much of a fighter but he expected more resistance than this, especially from his own family and Halili was a part of that. A small, pessimistic part of Orion felt it was inevitable, moving on and letting Shangyue have his way.. but without a fight.. it just didn't make sense.

"I- I don't know what to tell you," he said finally, "I'm sorry."

It was the best he could do to stand by Halili in that moment, everything seemed far more confusing and grim knowing his mate seemed so much more settled in favor of Shangyue.

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:43 pm
"Yes, she said that," Uchanjaa confirmed disgustedly. Then he sighed. Had Halili really seen that quickly that Shangyue's rule was inevitable already? Or did his daughter have some other reasoning in mind...or some ulterior motive? He couldn't be certain until he'd spoken with her himself.

Or, maybe, until Orion had spoken to her again. She would almost certainly be more open with her mate than her father, and now the younger lion knew the full truth of what had happened. He'd be looking for an explanation too.

"I'm sorry too, Orion," the brown lion replied at last. "That any of our pride should be so quick to leap to Shangyue's defense in light of what he's done shames me. For Halili to do so..." he trailed off, waggling a paw to imply disgust, shame, sickening and more.

"I'm also sorry I had to be the one to tell you the truth of last night." He did genuinely regret that, for it should have been Halili's place to tell her mate. "I'll go continue looking for her on my own," he continued, not pressing the black male for details on where she might be found. "I hope I haven't ruined your day too much."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:59 pm
Orion only frowned, his eyes on Uchanjaa's paws from the moment he trailed off about Halili being quick to defend Shangyue. What a confusing turn of events. Did she expect her father to be looking for her, was that why she hadn't stayed home with him? Why would she leave him here to find all of this out this way, then?

He looked back up but was still silent, only nodding when Uchanjaa said he was going to continue his search on his own. Orion would stay here and try to figure out how the heck they were supposed to talk about this when Halili got home.

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas