Adaala rested her head on her paws as she waited for Hila to return with food. Her ankle wasn't hurting anymore, thankfully, and she hoped she'd be able to get up and walk again tomorrow. She had to keep going, even though she had no idea where she was heading. She sniffled softly, wondering if she had made the right decision to leave the lands she had called home for so long. The pride was officially gone, but quite a few of the members had stayed behind. She thought finding a way for herself in the world had been a good idea, but...well. That was starting to look less and less like a good idea. She caught the scent of blood and lifted her head, a hopeful expression on her face. Could Hila have returned already?

Indeed, he had. Hila dragged a young antelope behind him as he moved to the tree, exhausted, but proud. There was more than enough here for the both of them, and he knew this would be a great way to win the girl over. Some romantic dinner conversation and a drink later, and maybe he'd see some leopons in a few months time running around with his dashing smile. One could only hope!

"I have returned," he said as he dropped the food before Adaala, a pleased smirk on his face. "For you, my dear. How is your foot feeling?"

"Oh...much better," Adaala said as she sniffed at the antelope, her stomach snarling in delight. She didn't hesitate in ripping into the soft belly, her maw stained red after just a few minutes. She was sure she had never eaten so much or so fast in all her life. Then again, she had never known hunger like she had the past few days. Hopefully this would keep her going for at least a few miles, and maybe by then she'd run into a friendly pride that she could stay with.

Hila chuckled softly as he sat down beside her, picking at the haunches of the beast for himself. "Not to worry, Adaala, it's very dead and wont' be running anywhere any time soon," he promised as the female continued to devour the prey. "You'll end up with a stomachache if you keep that up," he added, reaching over to rest a paw on hers very gently. He'd never been around a lion eating before, and he wasn't sure if they were all right to touch during a meal. Certainly a good time to find out!

Adaala barely noticed the light touch, but she did slow down. Hila had a point, after all...this much food so quickly would certainly make her stomach ache later in the evening. The two ate in silence until it was nearly picked clean, at whcih point Adaala shifted to lay on her side. She groaned, resting her paws on her stomach. Yup...stomach ache. "Thank you," she said quietly after a few moments, staring off unseeing into the growing dark. "I'd probably be dead if it weren't for you." She had been very lucky that some larger beast hadn't come along and squashed her like and elephant or a rhino, or a big lion looking for an easy meal.

Hila chuckled and reached out to gently rub a paw against her stomach to help soothe the ache. "My dear, it was my pleasure to assist you. You mustn't go near trees with large snarly roots like that, though," he chided gently. "They'd catch anyone in those tricky ground branches of theirs. Promise me you'll steer clear?"

Adaala nodded and closed her eyes as Hila rubbed her belly for her. It helped the aches and soon she was feeling well enough to roll back to a normal laying position, her claws playing with the hooves of the baby antelope. "It's hard when you can't see," she admitted softly. "I was so hungry and heard some birds in a low branch so...I thought I'd be able to get them." Boy, had she been wrong about that. "But now I know what those trees smell like," she said with a weak nod. She couldn't rely on her blindness to be an excuse to fail, after all. She didn't want to die! And she was slowly getting the hang of using her ears and nose and paws to tell where she was or to hear if there was any danger.

Hila nodded just a bit as he scooted closer to the young lioness. "Good! That's very good," he said with a little purr, a sneaky look on his face. He leaned in to start cleaning up her bloody maw and paws, not minding at all as his tongue passed over her mouth. "Although I assume it will take some time before you learn how to eat again," he said with a chuckle as he pulled back, still purring softly.

Adaala was horribly embarrassed by the display but scooted closer, finding solace in the helpful and rather pushy cheetah. She supposed she could play along...after all, he had been so kind to her. She certainly owed him at least this much. "Yes...that will take some time," she said with a weak laugh, shifting to lay on her side again. It was half to get comfortable, half a silent invitation. She was young, but she wasn't stupid. She could tell what the cheetah was after now that he had helped her. It made her a bit sad to think that it was possibly the only reason he'd helped, but hey. She would take what she could get.

Hila's eyes narrowed in delight as the young female rolled to her side, and he shifted to lay closer to her still. "My, what a pretty girl you are once your'e cleaned up," he purred, butting his head lightly against hers. "And so young still...perhaps I'll make an adult of you tonight." There was a sly tone to his voice as he stood, dragging the antelope away for any scavengers to eat. He didn't want the rest of his evening to be interrupted. Returning to the base of the tree, he laid beside Adaala once again, letting the sun set to hide their activities.

(1042 words)