Welcome to Gaia! ::

.:. Shadows of Africa - Moving! .:.

Back to Guilds

Reply [IC] Aka'mleli Lands [IC]
[JRP] Something Was Missing (Renado, Parquila, Umoja)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Talencia

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:22 am
Renado paced along beneath the circling pattern of the she-eagle. He still wasn't entirely sure how he felt about it, but he had to admit, it was nice not always being alone. Not only that, but she was extremely useful when it came to small game hunting, and for scouting out the large herds... come to think of it, there really wasn't many aspects of his life that hadn't been improved by Parquila's arrival.

It had been odd, having the bird of prey suddenly descend on him out of the blue, quite literally. Eye-wateringly bright blue skies, and here came this feathery arrow, plunging down to land atop him. The strap of his adapted bag now bore many talon marks, as the eagle tended to use it to cling to when she rode on his shoulders. Her talons were razor sharp, and the hide strap was the perfect place for her to keep a grip without shredding his own hide.

"Are we almost there?" he called up to her as she swooped over his head once more.

If Parquila had been a songbird, she would have been regaling the area with her joy. As it was, she confined herself to joyous swoops, loop-de-loops, and blindingly fast dives. She might be one of the bigger birds, but she was still quite agile in the air, and enjoyed the feeling of flight immensely. Today, though, it wasn't the joy of flight that had her soaring high in the skies... she was coming home. Not just coming home, but bringing back a partner. She gazed downwards at her new life partner, the one she'd chosen to work beside for the rest of her (hopefully very full) life.

He had caught her attention originally, embarrassingly so, because of the wings on his back. From far above, he'd looked like he'd had some sort of winged creature spread on his back, and she'd felt impelled to get a closer look. It had been a little bit of a shock to realize that the 'wings' were just markings on his pelt. It had been enough, though. It had been the rather odd start to a very good relationship, and now... now she was bringing him home!

"We've already crossed the border," she answered, winging in to land heavily on the thick hide strap that held his curious bag around his chest. "We should be seeing someone coming to meet us any time now." She fluffed her feathers proudly, preening a little in excitement.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:46 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Umoja was content to be doing some scouting work right now. His heart was very confused at the moment, and keeping himself busy let him forget about things. Lots of things. Mfalme was no help in forgetting things, but at least when the two of them were out working, conversations of females never came up.

"I see something," Mfalme cried from the skies above. Anyone would have heard him, though the words were just for Umoja. The earthquake had forever changed the valley, and strangers trickled in now and then looking for a new home. Many knew of the 'bird pride', as the outsiders called them, and those who treasured their bonds came to be with others who understood all too well the deep bonds that could develop.

The african fish eagle swooped down towards Umoja, landing as gently as he could on Umoja's back. Old, silver scars traced along the King's back, proof that the bond wasn't always painless, but it was worth it. "Are we almost to them?" Umoja asked the eagle.

"Just about. We'll probably see them peeking through the boulders and trees at any moment," the eagle said with a snap of his beak.  

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

Talencia

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:01 am
Renado's ears pricked up at the raptorial call from high above, gaze rising to search the skies. He couldn't see anything, but that obviously was no true gauge as to whom or where from this call had come. After all, Par had said they were near, and as this was the 'bird pride', as she'd explained to him, it made sense that the first to spot them would be a bird. He tried not to fidget and feel nervous... prides weren't usually his thing. Well, they were, but only briefly, as a visitor. He raised a paw to nestle the pouch/bag closer to his chest. Within it were reminders of all the tales he'd gathered in those other prides. He'd promised he'd gather them, after once gazing upon the beauty of a goddess who treasured such things. It had been only a fleeting glimpse, but his vow had been genuine. He only hoped that he'd still be able to collect stories and legends now that he had... well, a home!

Parquila's telescope eyes caught sight of the other eagle before he plunged down into the broken land again. Ah, they were home! She hadn't been able to recognize the individual, but she was so eager to meet them, she shifted back and forth along her perch of leather. "That way," she instructed Renado, nibbling and tugging on his mane on one side. "They are that direction, let's go!" She flared her wings for balance as he broke into a lope, apparently reacting to her excitement. She didn't much mind, but clung to the strap determinedly. Riding on him when he was running wasn't easy, certainly not as easy as flying herself. However, it would be easier to talk with the others if she was not in the air.

But as they rounded a boulder, she tugged hard on a hunk of his mane. "Stop, look!" She pointed with a wing he couldn't see towards the lion and eagle pair waiting for them. "It's the Crown Prince!" she churred excitedly, then fell quiet, swiftly settling her feathers into place. It wouldn't do to appear too flustered! "Greetings!" she called, her voice a near-squawk with nerves. Oh yeah, real smooth.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:16 am
"Prince?" Mfalme chirped in surprise. "Perhaps this is one of our long-lost fellows...though I don't recognize the lion. Perhaps...yes, the eagle is one of ours." He ruffled his feathers up for a moment, letting them slowly settle back on his body.

"Well, there was no real coronation. I just...moved up with Father died." Umoja's tail flopped on the ground for a moment, reflecting on the past. A lot happened, but time had padded most of the wounds. "Besides, the twins should take my place very, very soon."

They stepped towards the pair slowly before Umoja paused. "Hello," he said, unable to keep his stern, serious face. "I assume you two know exactly where you are," he said with a smile.  

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

Talencia

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:30 am
Renado felt exceptionally awkward. Here he was, entering a pride he knew very little about, and who did he meet right off the bat? A prince. Not only that, but everyone knew something about each other and the pride except him. He gave the dark lion a weak smile. "Well, yes... she brought me here to become part of the Aka'mleli," he answered, though his tone was uncertain and hesitant. What if they didn't want him? Or what if the prince didn't like him? Leave it to his luck to somehow end up on the wrong paw with the lion meant to rule the pride! "I wasn't sure if I'd be welcome, but she insisted." He angled his head to the side, to give the eagle on his back a sidelong look. "She can be very... persuasive." Now there was a faint but very genuine smile on his face and in his voice. Oh yes, what Parquila wanted, Parquila got! At least when it came to Renado.

Par bobbed her head in a nervous gesture, then stopped and chortled at Renado's words and glance. "I have brought another lion to strengthen the pride!" she called, flapping her wings a few times in dramatic gesture. She liked to put some flair on things sometimes, which might be why the gods had sent her a storyteller to bond with. "He's a decent hunter, a loyal friend, and an excellent storyteller," she added, hoping that her choice would meet with approval. "Is all well in the pride?" she asked then, her tone showing anxiety again. She hadn't been gone very long, as finding Renado had taken less time than she'd been told it might. Even so, things happened, and life was never stable or assured. Wasn't that why she'd gone to choose a lion partner?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:19 pm
"It is well," Umoja said, not certain exactly when the eagle had left. "We get a few rogues tripping into the valley at times, but that is the major change lately." His tail swished behind him as Mfalme hopped off of his back and onto the ground.

"Well enough," the eagle echoed. "Could always use a few more youngsters, winged or otherwise, but good." Hopefully a few pairs within the pride would change that soon.

Umoja took a step ahead, bobbing his head in approval. "You seem like an interesting enough fellow. I am Umoja, this is my bondmate, Mfalme. What is your name?" Umoja noticed how nervous the lion was, but perhaps he wasn't used to having a bondmate yet.  

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

Talencia

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:41 pm
Renado relaxed some as the lion and eagle before them seemed to be at ease, and spoke about things in a calm manner. "My name is Renado. I apologize for my rough manners," he added hastily. "It's been a long time since I spent much time around others much." He glanced over as Par fluttered from his back to the ground near the other eagle, smiling as her wingtips brushed his face. "Things are very different now that Parquila found me," he admitted ruefully, "so I'd best get used to them."

He turned back to the prince, his expression curious. "What can you tell me about the pride and the... uh... ranks, yes, ranks, that I might be asked to fill?" Para had not been very informative on the workings of the pride, unfortunately. Perhaps now he'd learn more about his new home, things that he was likely to need to know and that would help him settle in.

Parquila realized how rude it might be to remain up high after a fellow bird had alighted on the ground and hurried to follow suit. She was still pretty young and flighty, and was rather flustered by meeting such important pride members. To be honest, she wasn't sure what to do with herself. Settling her feathers in an attempt to appear at ease, she shuffled sideways and asked Mfalme in a hushed voice, "What am I supposed to do now?" While she was attempting to appear unruffled, her voice completely gave her away. As happy as she was to have Renado here finally, she was going just a little spacey on what was their next step in the process. She really didn't want Renado being aware of her lapse either, because... well, it was embarrassing!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:41 pm
Umoja laughed. "Well, a lot of that would depend on what you want to know about the pride. There's a hierarchy of sorts, mainly within the guard. We have scouting positions open, as well as hunters. Some of the other ranks, a bit thin in numbers, are nannies, healers, and storytellers. I think a lot of that is because we haven't had too many litter lately, but everyone is always willing to help out when needed."

Mfalme wasn't really expecting the other eagle to get so close to him. A little surprised at Parquila's side step, he shook his head. "Not really. Unless you feel like he'd fit one of the open positions, and he may not realize which one he's best at. Then you just support him in what he does...and don't forget to tease him sometimes," the eagle stated with a few soft snaps of his beak, laughing at himself as he eyes Umoja. "I tease him enough as it is."  

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

Talencia

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:43 pm
His ears pricked up and eyes lit with interest when the rank of storyteller was listed. "Oh really? Could you tell me what it is that storytellers do for the pride?" he asked politely, reining in his eagerness. Could it possibly be that the pride had a rank made especially for him? One paw reached up to his pouch and laid across it, savoring the richness of the stories the objects represented. Perhaps it was indeed meant to be for him to be found by Par and brought here! "And who would I speak to about becoming one?" This last question was a little more timid, but still very much interested.

Par brightened at the other eagle's words, appearing to regain her confidence. "Oh, I can do that! I know just what he'd be suited for!" She hopped and fluttered her wings to get back to Renado's side to peer up at him approvingly. "Yes, I agree, you'd make a wonderful Storyteller!" Though then Mfalme's last advice sunk in, and she sent him a startled and laughing look. "Teasing, got it. He won't know what hit him." She also clacked her beak as a sort of smile while chortling in her throat. She nipped at one of his toes, beak never quite making contact, then beamed up at him. At last at last, she was whole! She was a bondmate!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:58 pm
Umoja was a little startled at the sudden excitement shared between the two. "Well, we haven't had many for a while. Its part historian, learning the history of the pride and sharing it to future generations...and its also part of story telling, just sharing any sort of story to everyone in the pride, especially when there's a gathering."

He took a moment to pause and take a breath before answering the other question. "I would be the one to ask. I once was the Crown Prince," he said with a nod to Parquila, "but as I am King now, I make...most of the decisions. This would fall into that catergory," he added with a laugh.

Mfalme was also a little flustered when the tone changed to frenzied excitement, especially on Par's side. Well, everything was going along nicely, as it should. He didn't have much to say, just merely observing how the interaction was going. Umoja was doing well, but he was always best when there was a task in front of him.  

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

Talencia

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:39 pm
Well then! Renado looked both very pleased and slightly nervous. It was wonderful that he'd get to ask immediately for the rank that seemed best suited to him, but it was a little nerve-wracking to realize it wasn't just a prince he was talking with, but the king! He wasn't used to being around royalty, and wasn't entirely sure how to behave. He shuffled his paws uncertainly, but earnestly and formally asked, "Then my King, could I have the honor of becoming a Storyteller for the pride?" He cast Par a glance, as if assuring himself that he could include himself in the pride. "I already have many stories I can tell, and vow to work hard to learn the stories and histories of the pride." There, that was right, wasn't it?

Parquila was mortified. She'd been gone longer than she thought, and wondered what exactly it was she'd missed! She clacked her beak in consternation, flickering her wings before settling them again. Oh well, she'd at least recognized their leader! It would have been so much worse if she'd somehow not realized who it was they were talking to! Still, clearly she had a lot to catch up on. She sidled up near Renado and nibbled at his fur reassuringly when he glanced at her, puffing out her chest a little at his qualifications. She was very proud of him! He'd do a wonderful job! Surely the king would allow him the rank!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:31 pm
"Certainly," Umoja replied. "I would appreciate you work. It is always nice to have storytellers from different backgrounds within the pride. As long as you do your best to pry some old stories from the elders of our pride, I would love to see the history and fantastical tales of the past being shared with the newer generations. They deserve it as much as anyone." Loyalty to the pride needed to be developed, and knowing the origin of your homelands (and perhaps some that were a touch exaggerated) would do the trick.

He nodded to the two of them. "Welcome home," he said, sealing the deal.

Mfalme chuckled, a little amused at how this went, but content. Keeping busy was always the best thing for the King, even if he ignored some of his personal issues while working. But, who didn't? It was always easier to fix someone else's problems than your own.

"Yes, welcome," he added on with pride.  

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

[IC] Aka'mleli Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out