Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Cross dressing tips Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SilentVex

Married Hellraiser

11,725 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Champion Cardholder 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:36 pm
And I wasn't sure where this topic *should* go, so I decided to ask it here figuring that maybe I could get the help I'd need without breaking any rules.

So uhm, Hi. I'm Vex, and recently I've started to cross dress as a girl. and I rather like it, I feel comfortable in female clothing to be honest. But I'm having, issues finding things that fit me just right.

Maybe I should explain why I'm posting this, Today I told my mom about this cross dressing thing and she was open to it. Confused a bit obviously but, open. She even drove me and my sisters way out of town to find me clothing to wear (since I didn't *have* my own blouses or dresses or anything). Except, we were going for the stuff that was *borderline* male/female since my dad is NOT open to the idea, so not open we dont even risk telling him.

So when I start trying on some shirts (very pretty ones too~~) only one really fit, because my shoulders are too wide for the mediums we tried and (as I don't have breasts) the collars on the Larges were too low on my chest. This really made me sad and upset with my body, still is (yeah it's only been a day but, oh well. I feel what I feel right?). We bought some pastel *girly* male shirts to make up for it (their words not mine) but, I still wish I could've fit into the others.

I wanna know, is there anyone else out there who's had this problem? And did you find a way around it? I'd really appreciate any help or tips you guys could give to me to successfully cross dress, or at least how to find clothing that fits nicely. Doesn't have to be a tip about clothing or make up either, since I'm purposely intending to seem like a girl as much as possible. I just need help. v.v  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:15 pm
SilentVex

Well, first and foremost I'd simply like to say, GO YOU!

c:

Also, realize that everyone is built differently. Some female tops are specifically made for narrow shouldered, busty girls. However, there are women built with broad shoulders and flat chests. So your struggle to find something that fits properly is something that I'm sure many girls also go through.

With that said, my best advice would be to find a girl who is built more like a boy is, more like you. Ask her if she has difficulty finding clothes that fit and how she finds things that do.

Cross dressing, in my eyes, shouldn't be such a technical thing. Find things that work both for your interests and your body. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and, like I'd advise any person, try things on, LOTS of things.

I wish I could be more help and I'm sure others here in the guild can give you the advice you're looking for.

May I suggest changing the title to "cross-dressing tips" as well, I'll move this to the main forum, since it pertains directly to what this guild was made for.

Good luck!

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

SilentVex

Married Hellraiser

11,725 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:20 pm
Der Fluch des Pharao

Thank you very much for the help you offered. ^.^ Despite already having told most of my family and friends, it's still hard to mention it to anyone (even with internet anonymity). The 'Go you!' really means a lot to me.

I only have troubles because, well to be honest my few female friends are the busty girls, and I'm pretty afraid to go out and ask because I live in a small town (and I really don't want news of this getting to Dad, since that'd be the end of any social life I have) and it's pretty hard to find a lot of open people. Of course I will try at some point. ^^"

And again, thank you for the support~  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:58 am
By chance, have you thought about a local second-hand shop, similar to Good Will?

You would be surprised at some of the throw-backs to the late 1970's and 1980's that would probably be an ideal genre to target.

My childhood days in that period (Im 39), there were PLENTY of shirts and blouses designed to go over a camisol, have a sharp looking belt around the waste to emphasize the physique of a teenaged girl (sorry, I dont know how old you are, so no offense)... I remember the stirrup-pants that 'hid' certain attributes and BOY OH BOY, could we pull it off! I even had the big hair with the 100lbs of Aquanet to keep the hair in place! LOL! Still shocking that I never had my hair fall out to be honest, lol!

By going to a second-hand shop, you probably could be finding a gold-mine of clothing there AND saving some moolah as well.

Just make sure you are comfortable with your own 'skin'... I'm sorry to hear your father is not the supporting type just yet.  

Wixandrettas

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:20 pm
My little brother cross-dresses, so I asked him if he had any input.

Quote:
First, a little disclaimer: I enjoy wearing girly clothes, but I'm a cis guy. I mean, queer as a $3 bill, but cis nonetheless. I like looking good in girls' clothes (which means not wearing stuff that's ill-fitted), but I don't necessarily try to pass as a girl , so take that for what it's worth.

Second, I get almost all of my girl clothes at second-hand and thrift shops. New clothes are effing expensive! I try on everything before I buy it, and usually bring a (brutally honest) friend with me for a second opinion.

Third, if you haven't already, I'd suggest you figure out what your body type is. Well, which female body type you most closely resemble. Like, I'm an inverted triangle. I am pretty skinny, but I have broader shoulders than most girls, so...big old upside-down triangle. There are oodles of fashion tips available, you just need to know what to look for.

So, (being a triangle) I try to avoid strapless and spaghetti-strap tops and dresses, since they emphasize my shoulders. Wider straps are good, and so are halter-style pieces. I obviously haven't got any boobs, so a lot of the more fitted shirts are out of the question (cut way too low, baggy in the chest while skin-tight elsewhere else, too short, blah blah blah.)
I also avoid patterns and cuts that are too linear or angular. Flowy dresses and tunic-style shirts can be easy to work with, since I can strategically add a belt for the illusion of curves. (Hahahaha, not really, curves are definitely beyond me, but at least I can look like I almost have hips.)
Oh, and scarves! I love scarves. Definitely find a few of those, since they sort of draw the eye away in and away from the shoulders, and camouflage your lack of breastiness.

Finally, make up. Maybe not for everyone, but it can definitely make your face appear more feminine. There are tons of amazing tutorials on Youtube, and you can specifically search for "makeup on a budget" videos. There's no point in investing in lots of mid or high-priced products if you don't even know how to apply it, so practice, practice, practice with a handful of inexpensive products.
A few places to start:
Starter Makeup Kit for Beginners - Elle Fowler
Starter Makeup Kit for Beginners - bubzbeauty
Easy Countouring + Highlighting Tutorial - leighannsays
The "No Make-up" make-up tutorial - Pixiwoo
Transgender Make Up Basics - Tina DeWert (Even if you're not trans, it can be helpful.)

PS: Stand up straight! Even if you look great otherwise, slouching ruins the effect. Whatever you're wearing, rock the hell out of it. Believe me, I know how nerve-wracking it can be, but appearing confident goes a long, long way.

Good luck, and cheers for you for being brave enough to do this in the first place!
-Josh

Alexandretta
My childhood days in that period (Im 39), there were PLENTY of shirts and blouses designed to go over a camisol, have a sharp looking belt around the waste to emphasize the physique of a teenaged girl (sorry, I dont know how old you are, so no offense)... I remember the stirrup-pants that 'hid' certain attributes and BOY OH BOY, could we pull it off! I even had the big hair with the 100lbs of Aquanet to keep the hair in place! LOL! Still shocking that I never had my hair fall out to be honest, lol!.

Not gonna lie, I actually laughed out loud at the part I bolded. mad D I immediately thought back to all the grad pictures from the 80s and early 90s that were displayed in my high-school. I had wondered just what the hell they did to make their hair so very ...big.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:36 pm
Taeryyn

Not gonna lie, I actually laughed out loud at the part I bolded. mad D I immediately thought back to all the grad pictures from the 80s and early 90s that were displayed in my high-school. I had wondered just what the hell they did to make their hair so very ...big.

Yes, I will not lie. We worked REALLY REALLY hard to get the biggest, curliest, thick hair with the 'six foot long' bangs. Aqua-net was the ideal hairspray choice because it was cheap, it held up even the tightest curls and you could ALWAYS find Aqua-net everywhere! The large jumbo can went for $.99!

...and then, the moment of SHOCK happened.. We would go for our school physicals, and saw the can of Aqua-net on the counter... in my best 80's rendition.. ."we were like, OH MY GOD, MY DOCTOR USES THE SAME HAIRSPRAY?! SO TOTALLY COOL!".... heheheheh, OHHHHHH we were so oblivious to what a doctor would use it for....lol....  

Wixandrettas

SilentVex

Married Hellraiser

11,725 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:08 pm
Taeryyn

^.^ Thank you so much for the help~ I really do appreciate any and all tips. I'm getting a little more prouder lately to be pretending to be a girl (Proud male, not gonna change that) and even have my friends calling me by my fem name. ^^" It's a bit awkward since I still of course reply to my other names, since I dont really give a second thought to gender anymore.

Alexandretta

And thank you too! I've been checking my second hand stores (I have a goodwill and salvation army to choose from) and really do find a good selection there. I just wish I had more help (and fewer big beefy guys around, small towns do tend to have those overly religious fanatics around with the good people).  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:11 pm
Alexandretta

And thank you too! I've been checking my second hand stores (I have a goodwill and salvation army to choose from) and really do find a good selection there. I just wish I had more help (and fewer big beefy guys around, small towns do tend to have those overly religious fanatics around with the good people).

My dear - its not just the small towns and countryside with religious fanatics... Even a big city like Manchester, New Hampshire is FULL of them.... and you know what those folks are full of, too! LOL!  

Wixandrettas

SilentVex

Married Hellraiser

11,725 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:21 pm
Alexandretta

Of course it isn't. ^^"" We've just had our fair share of big groups gathering to boycott/protest anything against traditional values. Even if it's just a play. SO I've my reasons for being a bit afraid.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:12 am
with a lot of lady clothes you need to layer. quite a few shirts out there are too low cut for anyone smaller than a DD. women's clothing involves quite a big of trial and error  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

SilentVex

Married Hellraiser

11,725 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:52 pm
Shanna66
with a lot of lady clothes you need to layer. quite a few shirts out there are too low cut for anyone smaller than a DD. women's clothing involves quite a big of trial and error

Sorry for delay, but thank you for trying to give some advice as well. *nod* Appriciate it.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:43 pm
Ooohh, yay! Kindred spirit! Not sure if this'll help, but I'm a male crossdresser too, so I'll tell you what I do.

1:Avoid anything that exposes your shoulders, which, unfortunately, closes a lot of doors. Us guys will have noticeably pronounced shoulders, no getting around that.

2:I'm not saying every guy will have a waist and arse that'll make most girls bow their heads in defeat, but I do, so I usually go for clothes that show off my figure (Women's small for me). Also, I highly recommend women's undershirts. They're slim on your figure and the collar is just low enough to emphasize your chest while still not exposing your true gender.

3: I personally like the whole scene look, however it also works to our advantage. Skinny jeans will hide whatever imperfections your legs have. I suggest pairing them with women's boots, because wearing flats will show the size of our feet. Helpful tip, when you walk, place one foot in front of the other each time you step. Makes your booty sway more, which is helpful, because they're most likely gonna stare at that a lot. Though I do wear short shorts, but not without my stockings. I don't recommend tees, so go for long sleeves, like flannel shirts and the like.

4: Makeup and stuff. I don't wear makeup. Though I have, on occasion worn eyeliner and painted my nails. Also, if you have piercings, show them off.

5: Go thrifting. I personally go to Goodwill, lot's of women's clothes for cheap, it's awesome.

6: Obviously, take care of yourself. Clean up well and prepare accordingly whenever you go out. I have long layered hair, so I blow-dry and style it whenever I get out of the house. Hair accessories also help.

7: I have a big nose, so I wear think-framed glasses to draw attention away from it. You should do something like that with anything you find too manly.

8: I'm an athlete, but the muscle comes in handy. Keeps me trim and my pectorals are more pronounced than most guys, which means I have visible cleave. Women's undershirts enhance this illusion.

I'm sure I have other things to say, but I can't remember. cat_sweatdrop

The Adorably-Gay Kouhai

Lucky Duck

13,250 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300

SilentVex

Married Hellraiser

11,725 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:32 pm
Gewdbuddie13
Ooohh, yay! Kindred spirit! Not sure if this'll help, but I'm a male crossdresser too, so I'll tell you what I do.

1:Avoid anything that exposes your shoulders, which, unfortunately, closes a lot of doors. Us guys will have noticeably pronounced shoulders, no getting around that.

2:I'm not saying every guy will have a waist and arse that'll make most girls bow their heads in defeat, but I do, so I usually go for clothes that show off my figure (Women's small for me). Also, I highly recommend women's undershirts. They're slim on your figure and the collar is just low enough to emphasize your chest while still not exposing your true gender.

3: I personally like the whole scene look, however it also works to our advantage. Skinny jeans will hide whatever imperfections your legs have. I suggest pairing them with women's boots, because wearing flats will show the size of our feet. Helpful tip, when you walk, place one foot in front of the other each time you step. Makes your booty sway more, which is helpful, because they're most likely gonna stare at that a lot. Though I do wear short shorts, but not without my stockings. I don't recommend tees, so go for long sleeves, like flannel shirts and the like.

4: Makeup and stuff. I don't wear makeup. Though I have, on occasion worn eyeliner and painted my nails. Also, if you have piercings, show them off.

5: Go thrifting. I personally go to Goodwill, lot's of women's clothes for cheap, it's awesome.

6: Obviously, take care of yourself. Clean up well and prepare accordingly whenever you go out. I have long layered hair, so I blow-dry and style it whenever I get out of the house. Hair accessories also help.

7: I have a big nose, so I wear think-framed glasses to draw attention away from it. You should do something like that with anything you find too manly.

8: I'm an athlete, but the muscle comes in handy. Keeps me trim and my pectorals are more pronounced than most guys, which means I have visible cleave. Women's undershirts enhance this illusion.

Ooo lots of helpful tips. ^.^

As for tip 3 with imperfections in the legs, whatever do you mean? Just a clarifying thing for me personally.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:48 pm
SilentVex
Gewdbuddie13

Ooo lots of helpful tips. ^.^

As for tip 3 with imperfections in the legs, whatever do you mean? Just a clarifying thing for me personally.

Mostly hair, scars if you shave.  

The Adorably-Gay Kouhai

Lucky Duck

13,250 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300

SilentVex

Married Hellraiser

11,725 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:56 pm
Gewdbuddie13
Mostly hair, scars if you shave.

Ah, well, I do shave, dont get scars often, and my hair is a very fine color (red head, all my hair is a faint blonde). But I wear pants all the time anyways.

Most of my pants are like skinny jeans so should be alright. Plus they have massive pockets so....  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff