Welcome to Gaia! ::

.:. Shadows of Africa - Moving! .:.

Back to Guilds

Reply [IC] Pridelands [IC]
[BORDER] Hey, you there! (Calypso/Drakma)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:44 pm
User Image

Dry summer winds kicked dust up in miniature tornadoes across the land. The latest spell had been hard on the hunters, as the herds had moved to lusher lands, and every time they were found again it would only be a short time before they packed up for another trip. It was this intense cycle that had Calypso seeing stars. She'd been trying her hardest to catch as much prey as she possibly could to feed the hundreds of mouths within the Pride Lands, and coming up with barely regular amounts.

So, naturally, after chasing a young wildebeest into the tall grasses only to come up empty, the large lioness flopped down for a well deserved rest.

Depawsit

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:32 am
User Image

He had no idea what he was doing this far away from the Antianeira, but none the less, here he was. Both exhausted and hungry, he'd been travelling this way for days. At first he'd started off with a real plan. To find the cheetah who'd so easily captured his interest. But now his search had gone pretty cold, and he just wanted to go back to his own territory. To be close in case his daughters ever needed him. He felt foolish now, as he pushed on through the dry lands. His daughters were probably out there looking for him now, and they wouldn't be able to find him.

Happy, he was not. Exhausted, he definitely was, though he saw no reason to st-

Just up ahead, a bit of motion caught his eye. It was faint, and for a moment he'd thought his eyes were playing tricks. But then it moved once more, a shape that seemed to blend with the dry vegetation around it. Curious, he quickened his pace to get to it.

He was never one to back down from his curiosities, even if it meant he'd pay for it in the end.

Painted Moose

Depawsit

Charitable Informer

15,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Invisibility 100

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:14 pm
Depawsit

Calypso was more than comfortable in her little spot, lying amongst the grasses, feeling little tendrils of plant life blow over her as the wind whipped through. It was all so poetic, and beyond her. Life didn't usually slow down for the ex-veteran, and when she caught the scent of another lion, she imagined that it would slow down today either.

As the creature closed in on her, Calypso rose from her position to see if it was one of her pridemates, or a rogue. Interestingly enough, it was indeed a rogue! One with the most pecular light eyes she had ever seen, no less.

"Hello, stranger!" She called out with a smile. As tired as she was, she was not about to rise unless he proved agressive. She was scarred, large, and infinitely more muscular than the average female; that alone should be enough to deter him. "What brings you to the Pridelands?"

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:23 pm
The closer he got to the female, the more her stature began to come into focus. She appeared to be battle-worn and possibly aggressive. It was probably a good idea to slow things down, which he did with an abruptness he hadn't expected. He came skidding to a halt before the female, changing his expression to something far less threatening. He wasn't here for a battle, and he really wanted her to know that.

But soon his demeanor changed, his muscles relaxed a bit, and he offered her a small smile. It wasn't his typical toothy grin, he didn't want to set her off. Despite her friendly greeting, he still wasn't so sure about all those scars.

"Is that where I am? My apologies, I hadn't meant to intrude upon anyone's territory. I was just letting my feet lead me." He laughed an inappropriate laugh before continuing, "Guess that wasn't my brightest idea was it?"

Painted Moose

Depawsit

Charitable Informer

15,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Invisibility 100

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:30 pm
Depawsit

Calypso couldn't hide her chuckle, though she tried to, out of proprieties sake. It was the first time she had ever seen a male stop so abruptly, and the action reminded her so much of a certain cub that it almost brought on full laughter. In any case, her smile softened while the rest of her body visibly relaxed.

"If I were any other lioness, I would say no, but you're in luck this time." She motioned to the ground between them with a paw. "So long as you don't pull any tricks, I'll let you rest before you move on. You look exhausted." Calypso shifted, moving herself around so that she could see him more easily without having to crane her neck. "Unless you're looking to join the pride, that is."

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:36 pm
Drakma let out a visible sigh and the stress in his muscles finally relaxed. It would seem the female as most definitely not out to harm him, despite her battle worn look. "I would guess its my lucky day then, I am pretty exhausted as well. Thank you for your concern." He offered her a soft smile, before dipping his head in both respect and appreciation.

Her next words took him off guard a bit, and he really had to think before he responded. "Huh? Oh no, I was only passing through. I don't think I could see myself joining a pride so far from my children. Not only would I have my hide, but their Mother would as well." Now laughing openly, he imagined the wallop he'd receive if he tried to tell Chandra he had joined a pride. She'd probably be happy for him at first, but once she realized the distance between them, he'd definitely be a rug on her den floor.

"Oh i'm Drakma by the way! I'm sorry for intruding on your resting spot. I saw you from a distance and my curiosity got the better of me."

Painted Moose

Depawsit

Charitable Informer

15,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Invisibility 100

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:48 pm
Depawsit
Sorry this is the only one I've tagged recently. xD My muse is just being a crazy goober with me right now.

"Think nothing of it." And she meant it. Not too long ago she had been a wanderer herself; a young, war seasoned loner with no home of her own. Passing on the favors she had received from others only seemed natural. "Seriously." Calypso chuckled.

"Oh really? What brought you so far from your family, then, if you aren't looking for a new home to join?" His words had her somewhat confused. If he was happy at home, why leave it? And if he wasn't satisfied with his family, why not find somewhere else to stay? Still, her words were more contemplative than accusatory, and she couldn't help smiling. "Sorry; just curious, I guess." She shook her head, and laughed. "If you hadn't come along I would have slept the day away, so no worries here! It's nice meeting you Drakma. My name's Calypso."

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:57 pm
Her question didn't really take him off guard, in fact he'd kind of expected such a question. He simply nodded at her question, acknowledging it in turn. "No need to apologize, its a fair question. The truth is, I don't really have a family. I have a very unconventional family, if anything." He laughed for a moment, wondering whether she would be comfortable with his answer. "My children live within a pride that is dominated by females. As a male, I am not necessarily welcome there. So I live along their borders, in case my daughters want to visit y'know?" Drakma's tail swished lazily behind him as he continued.

"The reason i'm out here, instead of there with them is because I was looking for someone. Though it appears she doesn't want to be found, her trail went cold a while back. After that, I just let my feet lead me. Soon i'll return to my borders, but for now i'm free to wander."

As he finished up his end of the story, he found himself a bit curious of Calypso's.

"That name seems oddly familiar to me ... tell me, do you have any relations to the Maestros del Mar?"

Painted Moose
No worries, I know how that goes!

Depawsit

Charitable Informer

15,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Invisibility 100

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:19 pm
Depawsit

"Unconventional or not, it seems to me like you do have a family. Not really the most sane for you, though. I imagine that it's tough to be hanging on the edge between visits." Indeed, Calypso was anything but comfortable with his answer. His life shouldn't be spent hanging on between moments of chattering with his daughters. She could already tell that he was a brighter soul, and deserved to be in the mix, as well. "Are you happy there? That's what matters most, honestly."

Looking for someone, hmm? It seemed as if his life was full of odd little pitfalls. "Why do you ask? Is that where this person you're looking for has gone?" Calypso perked up, only to be deflated a moment later. "I'm afraid I can't help you, if it is. I've only heard vague rumors of Pirates myself. But - oh, OH, you were asking about me, weren't you?" She chuckled and shook her head. "Guess I'm more bushed than I thought. Sorry. But, no, I don't have any relations there. I've only ever been involved with two prides; this one, and my birth lands. Though, the war wiped them out ages ago."

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:28 pm
"Tough indeed, when I agreed to be the surrogate to my friend's cubs, I hadn't realized just how difficult it would prove to be." His soft smile faded a bit as he admitted his true feelings. It was weird, he'd never mentioned any of this to Chandra, yet here he was admitting it to a stranger. "But I am happy, happy beyond words. The joy of knowing that my daughters want to know who I am, despite the upbringing they were given. It really lifts my spirits." Tail swishing back and forth, Drakma began to feel a bit better as he thought of his children. They were the things that kept him going from day to day. The little bits of himself that made him realize that he wasn't alone in the world. "My children have given me a reason to live. Something I didn't really have before, and I can never repay them for that." His smile was back with a vengenace as he pictured their little faces. He couldn't wait to get back and see them, and wrap them in his furry arms once again.

At the reveal of her next question Drakma merely shook his head. There was no way she was here, she was a cheetah and from what he'd heard the Pridelands were a lions pride.

"Ah well my mistake then, I must be thinking of another Calypso." Paw now in the air, he shooed away any further questions regarding the pirates. "So you are a member of this pride then? Well I guess that explains why you're so protective of it." Shifting his paws slightly, he tried to avoid asking her about her old home, though he had to admit it wasn't easy. "Terribly sorry to hear about your old home. War is a dreadful thing isn't it?

Painted Moose

Depawsit

Charitable Informer

15,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Invisibility 100

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Depawsit

"So the mother is a friend? I thought...well, honestly, I thought you must have been in love with her to stick around as you have." She knew there was still the possibility that he could be in love with this female, even if she didn't return his feelings. Was she the one who asked him to stay, or did he do it of his own volition? "You're walking a hard path, that's for sure, but I'm glad that you're happy. It sounds as if you're truly loved, for your daughters to want to spend so much time with you."

Calypso placed her paws out before her and stretched, working out the kinks that todays hunt had placed in her. When she looked up, she saw that booming smile, and it soothed her worries. If this was what he wanted, she would hope for the best. He certainly looked happy enough.

Slowly, she nodded, a sad tint dampening her maw. "It is is. When I came to the Pridelands they had just exited a war with the Mava'Bunda; a nasty group of hyenas. Oddly enough, it was sort of a relief to me, if that doesn't sound too horrible." She snerked. "They were coping with their loses, and wounds, which in turn helped me to mend."

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:16 pm
Her words hit him like a rock, but his smile remained, despite it. It was understandable that she would think that, though sadly it wasn't the case. "You wouldn't be the first, nor would you be the last to think such a thing. Truth is, I love their mother very much, but she has some deeply rooted issues with males. Issues beyond anything I can mend. She felt comfortable enough to ask for my assistance with her cubs, but I don't feel as though she would be able to handle the stress of a male for very long." It was a sad story indeed, but one that had to be told. He completely understood Chandra's fears, and despite them he still wanted to be there for her. Whether as her mate, or her best friend, just so long as he was near her. "Oh yes, they love me very much despite my faults. I never thought being a parent could be so rewarding."

Drakma watched as Calypso stretched out across the area in front of him. She was obviously very comfortable around him, whether that was because she knew she could take him ... or that he was simply too docile to be a threat, he didn't know.

"No, no I don't think that sounds horrible at all. Much rather a very fortuitous event. For the both of you, it would seem. You seem well weathered in the field of battle, I would wager they were glad to have you."

Painted Moose

Depawsit

Charitable Informer

15,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Invisibility 100

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:56 pm
Depawsit

"I'm sorry...for your situation. It's noble for you to be supportive of her, in her endeavors, so long as you do not lose yourself along the way." How horrible this whole ordeal must have been for him. At first, she thought that perhaps she had been dramatizing the whole thing, but now...Well, at least he had his children.

Now that she'd stretched and crooned, she could hear the roars and calls of lions. Calypso chuckled as she rose, shaking her head a little and looking a touch uncomfortable with the compliment. "I wasn't here for their fight; I just joined afterward. I'm sure they view me as no different than any other Huntress, and that's as it should be."

She rolled her shoulders, shook out her mane, and looked down at the male one last time. "Stay and rest, Drakma. I'll have to alert the Scouts that you're here, so don't be alarmed if others come to visit you, but they won't run you off." Not really one for goodbyes or any sort of finalities, Calypso started to jog toward the calls. She'd recognized more than a few from her own hunting party, and wondered if she would be scolded for staying gone so long.

Still, it mattered little, when she thought about it. Drakma had been an interesting chatting partner, and maybe someday in the future she would go to visit him in his element, perhaps even to see the children he was so proud of.

[IC] Pridelands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games