Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sex Education Guild

Back to Guilds

Know your body, love your body, be safe, be healthy, be wise. 

Tags: Sex Ed, Birth Control, LGBT, STDs, Pregnancy 

Reply Sex Education Main Forum
when i shave my pubes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

iiEatYourEnergy

3,150 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:17 pm
So recently i've been shaving my area and im starting to notice my pube hair gets thicker.Whats happening and is it good or bad  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:32 pm
When shaving your pubic hair, it grows back thicker than it did before... I've experienced this as well  

Boulivar

Hunter

9,700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200

LorienLlewellyn
Captain

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:48 am
A lot of people notice that their hair looks thicker after shaving. As a result, a lot of people assume that shaving makes your hair thicker. But it's not true.

One reason people notice this is that some of them start shaving around puberty when their hair is still kind of light and wispy. Then their hair gets thicker and darker as puberty continues, and they blame it on the shaving rather than the puberty.

The other reason is that hair is shaped like a cone. We don't notice it with our naked eye, but picture an upside down ice cream cone. The top is more narrow than the bottom. So when you shave it off, you've basically lopped off that slightly narrower top. So what starts growing back up first is a slightly thicker stump. Some people might not even notice the difference. For other people, it might be obvious.

So either way, have no fear, shaving did not actually change your hair in any way. Once your hair grows out again, it will resume it's natural cone shape and seem thinner and softer than the stubble again.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:11 am
rolleyes rolleyes yea some of us have gone thru that one way or another.ITs natural to try to shave it but in reality the more u shave(often)the more it will get thicker an thicker  

aztecboi

4,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100

LorienLlewellyn
Captain

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:35 pm
aztecboi
but in reality the more u shave(often)the more it will get thicker an thicker

That is not true. Shaving does not permanently change your hair in any way. It's just an illusion that will go away once your hair grows back out. Read my post above if you haven't already. If the way I explained it before was confusing, here it is in other people's words:

"No — shaving hair doesn't change its thickness, color or rate of growth. Shaving facial or body hair gives the hair a blunt tip. The tip might feel coarse or "stubbly" for a time as it grows out. During this phase, the hair might be more noticeable and perhaps appear darker or thicker — but it's not."
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-removal/an00638

'The hair shaft tapers at the end. "When you shave it, you're crossing the midshaft, so it seems like it's thicker and more coarse," explains Dr. Robin Ashinoff, director of cosmetic dermatology at Hackensack University Medical Center. "But it's not."'
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2007/12/13/does-shaving-make-hair-grow-back-thicker.html

"When the hair is shaved off, or cut extremely short with clippers, all of the hairs are made the same length, and the ends are blunted. Very often, this causes the hair to feel thicker, and possibly look thicker because the ends create a level plane. This “change” in texture is merely an illusion."
http://www.hairfinder.com/hair/shaving-hair.htm  
Sex Education Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff