Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
What are some companies that will hire transgender employees

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

tiedyedtrash

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:55 pm
I mean, it's not like I'm going to be wearing the Trans flag on all my clothing and giving out pamphlets, but I'm still going to be obviously transgender. What companies would hire transgender employees, especially teenagers, though I need options for when I'm an adult too.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:32 pm
my dad has a trans coworker and he is at nasa. i think she was working there years before coming out to everyone though.

i would assume that pretty much anywhere will hire you so long as you dont make a huge deal out of it. i have a kind of homophobic boss but he is ok with me being bi because he got to know me as a person for a few months before i came out to him  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Guardian Arlen

Steadfast Guardian

17,250 Points
  • Battle: Defender 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:09 pm
I think it may depend on where you are located, and what the company's beliefs and values are. For instance, I live in an area that probably wouldn't employ very many transgender (let alone homosexuals). I was lucky that I found a place of work that was very open and accepting of me.

What I would do is take a look at the company that you want to apply to, and check about their regulations on discrimination and such. It may be wise to also call those companies directly, and ask what their core values and beliefs are in that regard and whether they would hire or fire a transgender person. You wouldn't have to say that your name or whether or not you intend to apply there, you just wanted to know what their policies are. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:56 am
Guardian Arlen
I think it may depend on where you are located, and what the company's beliefs and values are.

Pretty much. Where I live, it's actually against the law for a company to deny someone employment due to sexual, social, or identity preferences. You'll just have to look around for the right company.  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:37 am
You need to look at your state's law concerning gender and sexual orientation discrimination.

I know that in the state of Michigan I can be terminated from employment or denied a position because of sexuality. While it has yet to happen, I wouldn't rule it out in my future.

From there, well any job should seek to hire a qualified individual. Your being transgender does not take away from ability to perform a job and therefore I see few reasons why an employer would openly discriminate.

However, do be mindful that while times are changing and employment becomes increasingly diverse, you may still face discrimination depending on the industry you choose to seek work within.

Furthermore, I'm not aware of your age but many employers will seek older more experienced individuals, again, depending on the industry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:12 pm
Walmart. for sure. My manager while I worked at walmart was a trans man named Cindy. He had to deal with people asking questions sometimes but most of the time he just refused to give an answer, The whole store loved him and i've noticed that walmart is just generally accepting of misfits. My trans wife also worked at walmart with no problem.

If thats not your thing try and go with jobs that have an alternative staff. Like hot topic or shops similar. Card shops or small Electronics stores and what not.  

PrinceOfSpica

Sparkly Businesswoman

5,400 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items