Reply Passport Japan日本のパスポート
Best method to study Katakana?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Obsidian Deathwish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:05 pm
So, I have a book called: "Japanese Hiragana & Katakana for Beginners" by Timothy Stout...So I pretty much learned Hiragana using the method in this book, even though I only did the main exercise, which is to write each character repeatedly...As I did that, I would say it aloud each time...So now I'm good with Hiragana. PROBLEM. Katakana for some reason is just not sticking. I am trying to do this method for it, and it is just not working...-.- Hiragana stuck instantly, but this for some reason, isn't quite working. I'm starting to get frustrated.

How I test myself is writing the entire Katakana chart in order on a piece of paper, and using Dr. Moku's Katakana (It's an app...I use the Quiz part only) I really am not sure if this is the right way to start learning Japanese. This is really my first serious attempt at learning it...I figured learning how to write and read it first is best, but I'm not so sure. Opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:30 pm
I learned katakana about 3 years ago and I still get a little stuck when reading or writing it. It's kind of like... the more you use it... kind of thing.  

Miyu_Aizawa

Obsidian Deathwish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:39 pm
Miyu_Aizawa
I learned katakana about 3 years ago and I still get a little stuck when reading or writing it. It's kind of like... the more you use it... kind of thing.
How did you learn it? 8D Also, my method actually works! It took me about two hours for me to memorize all of the Katakana...I hope that isn't too slow...xD  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:39 am
Obsidian Deathwish
Miyu_Aizawa
How did you learn it? 8D Also, my method actually works! It took me about two hours for me to memorize all of the Katakana...I hope that isn't too slow...xD

I don't think I had a good method. Trying to learn it myself I just wrote them over and over again. Sometimes I tried writing things in katakana. Pretty much any english word, i tried to convert to katakana. People names, common things. etc. It took me so long! Hiragana is much easier lol  

Miyu_Aizawa

Obsidian Deathwish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:43 am
Miyu_Aizawa
Obsidian Deathwish
Miyu_Aizawa

I don't think I had a good method. Trying to learn it myself I just wrote them over and over again. Sometimes I tried writing things in katakana. Pretty much any english word, i tried to convert to katakana. People names, common things. etc. It took me so long! Hiragana is much easier lol
Aww, that's a good strategy! 3nodding Actually, I just realized the only way I memorized it is if it's in front of me...>3< I guess I need to practice more!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:51 am
Obsidian Deathwish
Miyu_Aizawa
Obsidian Deathwish
Miyu_Aizawa

Aww, that's a good strategy! 3nodding Actually, I just realized the only way I memorized it is if it's in front of me...>3< I guess I need to practice more!

it will take a while but don't be discouraged if it takes longer than you want. And don't let it stop you from continuing your studies. がんばってね ^_^  

Miyu_Aizawa

Obsidian Deathwish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:03 am
Miyu_Aizawa
Obsidian Deathwish
Miyu_Aizawa
Obsidian Deathwish
Miyu_Aizawa

it will take a while but don't be discouraged if it takes longer than you want. And don't let it stop you from continuing your studies. がんばってね ^_^

Domo arigato gozaimasu!!!! heart Unfortunately, my hiragana keyboard that I installed isn't working... sweatdrop
So romanji will suffice...I hope.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:06 am
Obsidian Deathwish
Miyu_Aizawa
Obsidian Deathwish
Miyu_Aizawa
Obsidian Deathwish
Miyu_Aizawa

Domo arigato gozaimasu!!!! heart Unfortunately, my hiragana keyboard that I installed isn't working... sweatdrop
So romanji will suffice...I hope.

When you switch it to japanese, where there is the big letter "A" have you tried clicking on that and changing it to hiragana?
And if you have tried that the other thing might be... don't start you sentences with capital letters because it will just make it write in roman letters.
I had troubles with that when I first started using the IME xp
If it isn't either of those I couldn't know what is wrong.  

Miyu_Aizawa

Kaleidoscope_Prism

Interesting Friend

4,150 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:06 pm
Here's some great sites to learn:

Hiragana Chart:
http://www.textfugu.com/resources/hiragana-chart/

Katakana Chart:
http://www.textfugu.com/cheat-sheets/katakana-chart/  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:15 pm
how about try this

http://www.realkana.com/practice/

hope this help ~  

BagaSherry

Friendly Citizen

12,150 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • The Wolf Within 100

Rose Valekier

Rogue

850 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:46 am
Umm.. You can try to practice first by Studying the easiest symbol that you can remember and try to scan the katakana alphabet~  
Passport Japan日本のパスポート

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games