Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
I need help you guys

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dinosuairs

Dapper Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:40 pm
Well, let me start off my story with a little background...I'm female in real life, I'm 16 years old, and I know I'm gay.
So, I honestly 'realized' I was gay when I was 13, I started to like my best friend of the time, and shared my first kiss with her a little over a year later.
Anyway, I'm comfortable with my sexuality, however, BOTH of my parents are EXTREME homophobes, and it really hurts to hear some of the stuff they say.
For example:
~My dad openly uses the term, fagot, dyke, queer, etc as stereotypical offensive terms.
~My older brother tells me all gays are going to burn in hell.
and finally
~My mom openly disagrees with the idea of a gay lifestyle, and makes general bigot statements about gays.
Now, I have really wanted to 'come out' to my family for the past 2 years, but, then I doubt myself, for the fact that I'm afraid that if I DID, I wouldn't have a home anymore...
I guess I just want some opinions on what I should do, and how I should handle all of this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:02 pm
I'd suggest waiting until you know you have somewhere to go afterwords.  

XrosHeartless

Wrathful Shade

dinosuairs

Dapper Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:26 pm
XrosHeartless

I've thought about that, but it just sucks not being able to be the real me to my parents and all  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:29 pm
Imagine Dragons
XrosHeartless

I've thought about that, but it just sucks not being able to be the real me to my parents and all

Well, I'm not "out" to anyone but I kinda like having that secret but that's just me.  

XrosHeartless

Wrathful Shade

II-Cruel Intentions

Desirable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:35 pm
Well they are your parents after all, I'm sure after awhile they'll come to accept it.. But maybe you should wait until you're a little older that way if they do kick you out, you'll be old enough to be on your own.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:50 pm
I'd think about my financial security first. From what you are telling us it doesn't sound like your parents tend to be reasonable persons, I'd rather not risk having to sleep out on the streets. confused
As soon as you move out of your parents house and have a job, you can tell them without risking anything but their relationship to you.
I can't imagine how hard it must be for you. I wish you much strength and patience, hang in there!  

MadPad

Fluffy Cat

Crazy_Evil_Mother7

Ferocious Sweetheart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:20 pm
I don't act like myself completely around my parents because there are just some things that are better kept private from them. In you case I agree with everyone above about saying waiting till your finacially stable and got a place of your own to tell them.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:07 am
NO.

Don't do it unless you're financially secure, that way if they (worst comes to worst) act on their hatred, you can take care of yourself without having to worry about where you'll end up.

I came out to my family almost three years ago, and to this day they still gay bash me. I wish I waited until I was financially secure. It would have saved me a lot of heartache and pain. Now they don't bug me any more because I barely talk to them, but if they get mad at me they'll repeat that s**t all over again. It's a lot of unneeded stress.

Basically, based on my experience (my family is extremely homophobic), I wish I never said anything in the first place to them. I think you should only open up to them when you know you have a safe place to go to on a long term basis.  

eat more happy

Friendly Elocutionist

8,525 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items