Innocent_Hybrid
The tunnels were scary when you were alone, Chisulo realized as he ran through the twists and turns. It was almost like the shadows were nipping at his heels and the empty echo of his paw steps were chasing him. He though he saw one of the shadows jump out at him and it made him sob again.
He had woken up from a nightmare. He would have sought out his Mamma, but she was aboveground helping the brotherhood. So he had thought of the next best thing.

Nahasi.

His cousin would help get rid of the bad things!
But when he left to go find him, the bad things followed. The shadows tried to bite his tail as he made the turns he memorized to 'Hasi's den. One make to rake at him just as he rounded another corner, tears leaking down his face.
Almost there! He thought as he couldn't hold back another sob from escaping.
He rounded the last turn and skidded to a halt in front of 'Hasi's home. He pressed himself up next to the wall where a firefly lamp was glowing dimly, a safe haven from the dark.

He called out quietly into Nahasi's den.

"'Hasi? 'Hasi are you-" He broke off as a sob silenced him again.

Club Snails
Nahasi had a long day that day. Some of the diggers reported saying that some of the lower tunnels looked unstable. The tunnels were always unstable, he thought as he let his eyes rest. He would most likely close down those tunnels until he diggers managed to make the area around the tunnel more stable. With more members coming in, they needed to start making more room for members. More and more cubs were entering the ranks. Nahashi remembered that Bedeinka's own cubs had moved in a little ways down. He guessed that Bedeinka didn't want them to be influenced by other species.

As he rested he could swear he heard something. He was just about to get up when he heard a soft voice call his name. It didn't take long for him to realize it was one of his cousins. He saw a little head look into his den. “Hello Chisulo is it?” He was still working on their names. He got up and walked toward the entrance of the den. “What is the matter?” Nahasi spoke quietly and gently. He didn't want to spook the.

He carefully put his tail around the cub's. “Come inside my den. I'll keep you safe.” He guided the cub into the den. “Now Chisulo tell me everything that happened.”

Innocent_Hybrid
He felt his heart swell when 'Hasi actually heard him and came out. 'Hasi would make the shadows go away! When he wrapped his tail around him, he was reminded of his mother and the damn broke. He pushed his head to Nahasi's chest and sobbed again as he was led into Nahasi's home, almost stumbling a few times. Fatigue pulled at his muscles from the sprint here and the emotions had the same grip on his mind.

"'Hasi, I-I'm sorry for w-waking you up! I-I know your busy!" His sobs died down a bit, leaving the occasional hiccup. When Nahasi asked him what happened, he closed his eyes and pressed against him again.

"I-I had a bad dream. Mamma and all my brother and sisters were all there. We were playing, but then a bunch of shadows showed up." He hiccuped again.

"T-they... they started eating everyone. First my sisters, then my brothers." He had started to cry again. "T-then w-when it was coming towards me, I ran. I was running really well! Papa would have been proud!" He got really quite for a moment, and still. The next part... He steeled himself. "I-I was starting to get away, b-but, I tripped on something. When I looked to see what, I- I-" He pressed back into Nahasi's warm body. "Momma had tripped me. I tried to get back up, b-but the shadows were starting to eat me too. I-I tried to call out to Mamma, but she just turned and left. I kept calling to her -but she just kept walking." He had broken back into sobbing fits that left his chest heaving.

Club Snails
Nahasi didn't have any younger siblings. He hardly dealt with cubs. His father had never really been there for him. He was pretty sure he wasn't the greatest father figure around. With the young cub crying he had no idea what to do. He let out a sign. Bedeinka did this on purpose, he thought as he allowed the cub to rest against him. “Don't worry, I wasn't quite asleep yet. Chisulo it was just a nightmare. Nothing to worry about.” He said in a awkwardly comforting voice. He did his best to imagine what a proper father would do in the situation.

“Your siblings are safe, I am sure of it. And right now your mom is looking for your father. When she finds him she is going to bring him back here and you all will be a family again.” Nahasi explained curling around the cub. He was still worried about the cub though. Nightmares never seem to bug Nahasi, so he wasn't quite sure how to solve the problem. “If you would like you can stay here Chisulo.”

He wondered if the other cubs would come running to his den. It was cruel of Bedeinka to separate the cubs like she did. She should have kept them all together. He was sure these cubs wouldn't grow up any differently if they were raised with their sisters. When Bedeinka got back he would be sure to have a serious talk with her about her cubs. “Would going on a little walk help calm you down?” He thought that maybe some movement might be helpful.

Innocent_Hybrid
Chisulo's sobs receded back into little hiccups as he listened to 'Hasi's calming words and felt them vibrate in his chest. The combination started to ebb away at the vice grip terror and raw fear held on his heart and mind.
He knew his brothers were okay. He had made sure before he left. The mother's den was to far away for him to check and he did not know the way in the dark. But he knew the mothers would keep them safe. He also knew his Mamma would come back. She was strong and invincible! But the dream's claws dug in and refused to give up anymore ground to Nahasi's reassurances.
One thing loomed over him like the shadows that haunted his dreams.

" 'Hasi... Mamma... Mamma wouldn't do that, would she? Abandon me?" The thought of his Mamma leaving him for good terrified him to his bones. The recent move to the new den was already putting a lot of strain on him, his Mamma going aboveground on top of that must have pushed it over the edge.

When Nahasi asked if he would like to stay, he nodded tiredly and leaned more into his cousin. Exhaustion from the emotional overload and the physical excursion starting to surface at least. So in response to his next question he shook his head tiredly.

"My paws hurt a little right now. But... do- do you think we can check on my sisters in the morning?"

Club Snails
“Bedeinka is very protective of you and your siblings. I know from experience that she will never abandon you. When you are older I bet you'll get tired of how close she is to you.” He said with a laugh. When he grew up it felt like she was always looking over his shoulder, judging every action he did. He hoped that for the cub's sanity that she wouldn't do that to him. “Your mother knows how special you are and would never leave you for very long. In a couple days she will be back. I will see if she will stay in your den, maybe just for a couple nights to get you used to your new den.”

Nahasi gave the cub a gentle smile. “Yeah we can go see your sisters tomorrow. I was planning on going down there anyways. One of my best friends lives with the den mothers. If you would like I can introduce you to her. But just to warn you she is really weird. Probably the weirdest female I have ever met. She is really nice though. After that you can stay with me for a day. I could always use a helping hand. Bedeinka would probably like it f I showed you a bit more of the pride. We could pick up your brothers and show them around as well.”

If the cubs became too much for him to handle he could always pass them onto a council member. Ijara seemed good with cubs, Nahasi thought with a grin. Maybe he could pass them off to him after getting them nice and hyper. He thought on it more. There were a couple other litters in the pride as well. Perhaps it would be good to have a tour of some of the main tunnels. It would give the den mothers a chance to recuperate. As hard as they worked, they would need the break.

“Chisulo, I have another idea. What if you and some of the younger pride members took a tour of the pride with the council member Ijara? He knows the tunnels better than anyone I know.” Nahasi said. He was slightly curious to see how Ijara would handle the task.

Innocent_Hybrid
"Nu-uh 'Hasi. I'll never get tired of Mamma." He said sleepily. "She's the best. She tells the best stories and watches out for my brothers and sister. She gives the best hugs too. You're the next best though 'Hasi. Your warm like Mamma." He felt Nahasi's laugh in his own body. He curled up a bit more, sleep curling at the edge of his mind. He felt really safe with Nahasi. "Mamma might stay with us again for a while? I'd like that. I really miss her."

"One of you're friends 'Hasi? I'd love to meet her. If she lives with the den mothers she MUST be nice. Everyone I met down there is nice. I'm going to miss seeing them all like time." He smiled when Nahasi offered to let him hang out with him and help him. " 'Hasi I'd be honored to help you out! I'm sure Zeru would love to help too. We'll do the best we can!"

He tilted his head when Nahasi also offered to get him and his friends a tour from a council man. His Mamma told him about the council members and they're roll in the brotherhood. "That sounds fun!" Then he remembered the black cub he spotted while playing with some of the others. His stomic felt funny and his face heated a bit. He snapped out of it, thinking it odd, but it must of been because of how sleepy he was getting. "But it wouldn't be bothering him, would it?"

Club Snails
“Hopefully you won't get tired of your mom.” Nahasi wondered how long Bedeinka would be gone this time. The last time she left, she was gone for so long. Last time he almost got a search party to go find her. He didn't understand why she would leave in the first place. Even if her mate had left her, she had five cubs to take care of. That isn't something you ignore. Nahasi knew this. Being left was one of the reason he resented his father so much. He didn't want the same relationship to fall onto Bedeinka and her cubs.

“We won't be bothering Ijara don't worry. He loves helping out.” Nahasi said with a grin. “Now you should focus on getting to sleep. If you want to help me tomorrow you need plenty of sleep.”

He liked the closeness that came with being with a cub. He felt like he was protecting him, keeping him safe. Even if there wasn't anything out there to hurt him, he liked keeping the cub safe. His thoughts lingered to his own time as a cub. He wondered how different he would have been if he had a parent to cuddle next to when the night terrors came out? Than he thought about the possibility of him having cubs someday. He knew he had a ways to grow. He still wasn't able to let go of his grudge against Ijara go.

He let out a sigh. Eventually he would grow up, but not just yet.

Innocent_Hybrid
Chisulo yawned, blinking slugishly and sleep began to win its battle. "Mamma will never leave me." He said quitely. He missed seeing her every day, and she had been taking so long visiting the aboveground. She was trying to find his Papa. Once she did, maybe she wouldn't leave anymore?

He yawned again as Nahasi told him to go to sleep. "I'm really looking forward to meeting your friends 'Hasi. I promise that I will do my best and be on my best behavior."

Finally sleep had won its war and Chisulo curled up beside Nahasi, snuggling in and settling in for sleep. But right before his eyes closed, he looked up at his cousin "Thank you Nahasi." and then passed into the realm of dreams.

Club Snails
“You don't have to worry about being on your best behavior. Just be yourself.” Nahasi said before letting out a yawn. He was actually looking forward to spending some more time with his cousins. It was nice to have family around that wanted and needed him.

He glanced down at Chisulo one more time when the cub thanked him. “Oh, erm. You're welcome.” He wasn't sure what he had done to earn the cubs thanks. None the less he accepted it. He laid a protective paw over Chisulo and allowed himself to rest. His thoughts lingered on Bedeinka, the lower tunnels, Ijara and other pridal matters. He was still as he thought, not wanting to disturb the cub. As it became later, his thoughts became more and more blurry. When the last thought of the pridal problems gone, he allowed himself to sleep.