Kjar
User ImageKjar was not keen on being sent out to bring in thralls. He was most especially not keen on being sent out on a fool's errand by Thorgrim. His sole purpose, now, was to find a seer thrall for the Priestess Brynja.

Needle in a haystack, it was, and Kjar couldn't help but feel that he was being sent on this foolish mission simply because he'd wed Thorgrim's previous wife. It was that thought that gave him solace beneath the sweltering heat of the high noon sun, and that thought alone.

A low, distressed sound caught his attention, tore him from his reverie. Rising to his feet, Kjar moved towards the sound. It was good that he was not hellishly far from home, at this point - as he crept up alongside a bush that provided cover, a low, feral smile curved his muzzle. He would watch the pair, for now.

Mzeituni
User Image"Please, Lian, just a bit further. Just a bit further, and then we can rest. We can't stop here, in the open, Lian. Please, you can do this. I am here."

Zeit was not having the best of luck with Carnelian today. He was weak and weary from their ceaseless travels. At this point she did not know how long they'd been wandering - she only knew that she was an inept huntress and their meals had been meager. She only knew that Carnelian was growing weaker with each day that passed, and she only knew that it was entirely her fault. She'd never been a strong huntress, had never even liked killing hapless prey beasts.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Carnelian
User ImageHe was hungry, a low constant cramping ache deep in his gut. He knew that Zeit was feeling the same pangs of insistent hunger that made it desperately hard to think straight. He'd been ravaged by a vision just this morning, and his brain felt fuzzier than normal. Despite it all, he knew that his beloved was doing her very best to look after him, and he couldn't find fault in the way she looked after him.

"Do not apologize," he whispered roughly, small body hefting in the slightest of sighs. "We are close. I know we are close." He struggled to his feet, forcibly ignoring his clouded thoughts. Lian leaned up heavy against Zeit.

"I am fine."

Kjar
User ImageThe male was weak. That much was made painfully clear. He was also a small male - and the female smaller than most he'd come into contact with. This would be a simple task, bringing these two home. He'd only need to get them to the borders and hold them while he waited for a patrolling Reaver.

Simple. Easy.

He only worried that the male might be sick - and perhaps if he plied them with kindness, he might get closer.

Kjar sprang forth, a look of false-worry creasing his features.

"Hail," he called, slowing as he approached. "Is all well?"

Mzeituni
User ImageZeit froze when she heard the voice ring out. The petite lioness turned to peer over her shoulder, eyes widening at his approach. He was a massive lion, sleekly built, healthy. She made a low sound of distress deep in her throat as she did her best to support Carnelian, to shield him from the lion that watched them both with yellow-eyed curiosity.

"We are fine. We are fine," she was hesitant to speak too much lest his curiosity be piqued, but she was also desperate for help.

"He is weak from his visions," Zeit explained quietly, a helpless look on her face.

Carnelian
User Image"I am fine," Lian hissed under his breath, giving a quick shake of his head to free his thoughts and vision of the cobwebs that clouded his mind. It was not so effective, and Lian let out a small sigh.

"We are fine," he lied, peering at the brown lion with narrowed, squinting eyes. The sun was so bright, and it hurt his eyes, and his thirst was strong, and his stomach cramped - and Zeit was exhausted.

Perhaps it would not be so bad to accept a little help.

"But.. if you are so kind as to offer a place to stay, some food, perhaps a drink - only if for one night - we would not be so foolish to turn you away."

Kjar
User ImageKjar took a moment to wonder at how simple this had been. Where did these two trusting individuals hail from? He fought the urge to frown, instead forcing a smile upon his lips.

"Of course. It is not so far. Please, follow me. Fresh food, water and shelter all await you. We may need to wait near the borders for a patrol, perhaps two lions to help you on your way - you look weak," Kjar nodded in the grey lion's direction, a concerned expression plastered onto his face.

"And what are these visions you speak of?"

The Gods were smiling on him, truly they were.

Mzeituni
User ImageZeit was not one to question ulterior motives. Having been raised in a loving family, she took nearly everything at face value. There had never been a reason not to - and so when the stranger took an interest in Lian's well-being, she did not waste time in explaining it.

"Lian is a seer," she said softly, "and he does not have the most pleasant of visions. Conflict, no matter the time, tortures him constantly. We are seeking his sister - she is the only one he was truly close to, and we have heard word that she was taken captive by a nearby pride."

Carnelian
User ImageThere was a sensation, just then, that had Carnelian wondering if he'd seen this place before. This exact moment seemed so oddly familiar. What was it? How? He couldn't be sure - though if he'd seen it in a vision, it meant that he was likely on the right path in seeking his sister.

The small lion was suddenly struck with worry. He should not have brought Mzeituni. By doing so he had brought her to peril, and there was a bitter taste on his tongue.

It was too late for regrets.

"Just a little food and water. No need for shelter, I think. We really should be on our way."

Kjar
User ImageYes, the Gods were assuredly smiling down upon him.

"I understand. I am so sorry for your misfortune, losing your sister, suffering these visions." His voice took on a low purr, and he began eyeing the pretty green female in a completely different light.

Prey. Ripe for the picking.

"You need only stay as long as you feel necessary. We should be drawing up close - ah, yes. If I am reading the sun correctly, there should be a patrol drawing up soon."

In fact, he could see them in the distance. Two males - large Reavers. Excellent.

"Let me help you sit."

Three minutes, give or take.

Mzeituni
User ImageZeit flashed the stranger a smile. Such a lucky day for them. She couldn't wait to eat, couldn't wait to sip cool fresh water. It would be wonderful.

As she stepped to Lian's side, Zeit purred quietly. Things were finally looking up, and she couldn't be any more happy. They could find Lian's sister and perhaps return home to the warm sands of their pride. It would not be such a horrid trip back - not with Tay to help with the duties of watching after Lian.

"Oh, I think I see them!" Her voice a happy chirp, she did not catch the low, grumbling purr that the brown lion gave.

Carnelian
User ImageWhen the stranger was briefly distracted, Lian caught Zeit's attention.

"I am sorry, and you must never forget how much you mean to me, Zeit. I am sorry. You must forgive me, and believe that everything will turn out for the best."

His voice was thick with emotion. He knew what came next, and it would not be pretty. It would not be something he would forget for the rest of his dying days, and there was nothing he could do to stop it. Too weak, too late, too much hope and not enough strength to protect her - to protect himself.

Kjar
User ImageAs the two large Reavers drew up, Kjar jerked his head towards Carnelian.

"Take him to the High Priestess Brynja," he snarled before turning to the pretty female. He struck her suddenly, evoking a loud cry of pain from the pretty little prize. "Tell her that she has her seer. I will return with this one shortly."

The Reavers forced Carnelian to his feet roughly, and he fought - but Kjar grinned. He was no match for the overpowering, large lions that bracketed him.

"Go on," he growled throatily, "unless you would like to watch me devour this pretty thing."

Mzeituni
User ImageConfused by Lian's words, Zeit did not have a moment to ask him his reasons for apologizing to her. The next thing she knew she was seeing stars, confusion running rampant as she tried to figure out what was going on. Terror struck her, her vision darkened, and soon enough she realized that it had all been some sort of horrid ploy.

"No, Lian. No, please, please don't leave me, please!"

Her sobs were loud, her voice cracking. Her head was throbbing with pain, and the next thing she knew she was being roughly manhandled - and she had no choice in the matter.

Zeit prayed for death in the hours to come, many times over. It never came. Only a deep, deep resentment for the stranger, and an even deeper sadness for the loss of something that had been hers to give, stolen from her.

Carnelian
User ImageHer cries broke him down. As he was led away, he could hear her sharp screams of pain and discomfort. If he fought, they would kill him, and then both Tay and Zeit would be left alone. If he did as they asked, he could try to save them all - but deep down he knew there would be no escaping.

He hated himself passionately. He should have been strong enough to save her, to save his sister. He hadn't been.

He would never forget the sound of Zeit's screams, the lift of her voice calling for him, begging him to return.

He could only hope that she would come to forgive him.

wc: 1500+