Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:47 pm
He stared.

And stared.

His whole body was very still, his sides unmoving as he held his breathe and stared at her through his glass-blue eyes. Had he got this right? Their pride was ruled by a diseased queen? What did they do? Purposely infect their heirs? Had they tried to infect Eione only to find her resistant and discarded her for a more sickly ruler?

"Understand the pride's suffering?" He repeated after a moment, taking a step back without even thinking of it. "Wait. Hang on a minute. This place is plagued? This place where I've been kept?" It was clear that panic was starting to set in, his eyes wild, the fur on his shoulders bristling. "If that's the case, I need to go now. I don't want to get sick!" And he continued to back up, turning his head this way and that as if trying to seek the best way out of the lands - and his predicament.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:57 pm
"Calm down, Dabu," she said in a very careful voice, turning around but staying where she was as he started to back up, not wanting to make him feel even more threatened, "You don't want to open your wound again."

Eione glanced around them for help, they were getting some looks but so far nobody was coming to intervene. She could almost feel eyes watching her, judging how well she handled this now that she had accidentally led a conversation into it. She didn't see any of the Masters in the immediate area, though.

"Y-you can't go, you have to stay here. You might already be infected, you won't be allowed to leave," she said, looking at him and trying to keep her voice calm as she started to explain the situation they were in.

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:11 pm
His wound? Forget his wound. He had more important things to worry about, like this plague and potential contamination. And...and not being able to leave! What would the lions do if he tried? Would they restrain him? Put him under guard until he conceded? Or would they just kill him and be done with it?

He shook his head, clearly distressed.

"But I can't stay." He pleaded. "I've only got my hunting wound. Nothing else. You know I haven't. If you're immune then I probably haven't caught anything. I'm not sick." But even as he said it he began to feel woozy and he snapped his teeth in frustration. His mind was playing tricks on him and it was probably just the walk, anyway.

"What if you just turned a blind eye and let me go?" He knew - even as he spoke - that he was wasting his breath. "Eione. Please."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:28 pm
Mentally, Eione had been prepared for violence. Seeing him turn so quickly to bargaining and pleading was unexpected and even more unsettling. She hated to see him beg for a way out, to see how desperate one could become when faced with the harsh realities of the pride.. but that was why she wanted to be a healer, she had to get used to this.

"I'm sorry," she said, "You were too far into the pride's borders when you were wounded and you even acknowledged the risk of infection that kind and size of a wound put you at. I may be immune but the environment you are in isn't, it's unpredictable. We quarantine ourselves to keep the plague from spreading beyond our borders, nobody will let you leave."

He was going to need to rest again now, she could see the effect getting worked up was having on him. But he would be difficult to coax back into his den now.

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:34 pm
"But you're a healer." He replied then, sinking his claws into the soft earth beneath him as if afraid that the whole world might slip out from under his paws. "Can't you...you cure this? This plague?" What was the point of healing if there was no way to get rid of the ailment.

But then again...hadn't she said that the queen was expected to be diseased? Perhaps their intention wasn't to cure, but to spread it amongst their people to keep it flourishing. To keep the people trapped here. Perhaps there was a darker side behind all of this. A shadowy trickery behind the smiles and the kindness.

He sat suddenly, looking utterly miserable. "I'm going to die, aren't I?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:07 pm
She didn't immediately respond to his question about curing the disease that plagued the pride, letting him instead get to his miserable question about death. Nobody here was a stranger to death, it would perhaps be one of the hardest things to accept for a former rogue.. perhaps until he got a good look at the suffering.

"Perhaps," she said finally, "There is no cure for this disease, the healers only ease the symptoms and suffering of the sick. You may get sick and die, like many lions here do, and there's no way to know if it will take weeks, months or years for it to kill you. There are many older diseased lions living here, it doesn't mean that you will die tomorrow."

She paused to let that sink in before continuing.

"Not all of us here are diseased, though," she said, "You may only be a carrier, immune to the disease but still capable of infecting others. Carriers also tend to have a weaker immune system. Even less likely, though, is that you may be immune, like me. No symptoms, no physical suffering and no risk of infecting others."

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:28 pm
He shook his head, trying to absorb this information. So he might not die straight away. That's what she was saying. He had to hope for a few years or that he was one of the rare lucky ones who weren't affected. Later he'd think about how it must be for Eione to live surrounded by death, but right then and there the only thing he could think of was how his whole life had suddenly come to an abrupt halt. He'd never been a lucky lion. The plague would get him and he'd go down fast. He just knew it.

"I think that's a slim chance, don't you?" He replied after a long moment.

"Eione...what would you do if I tried to escape?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:35 pm
"Yes."

There was no use lying. Immunity was rare and unless Dabula was actually a large leopard with very thick chest hair, odds were he was infected by the plague. She didn't move when he asked what she would do if he tried to escape, though she did frown.

"Nothing," she said, "But we are in a public place, there are many other healers with their eyes on us right now. There are plenty of guards and scouts from here to the borders that you would have to deal with if we couldn't keep you here ourselves, too. We may be diseased but we aren't weak or disorganized, you wouldn't get very far."

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:44 pm
"Well, that's that then." He replied shortly. Every last bit of his good mood had drained away leaving him with a dark, cold feeling in his chest. His wound throbbed, too, the dull ache reaching his head and forcing him to squint his eyes in an attempt to lessen it. "At least I won't have to come up with a story to tell my brothers..."

About the scar, that was.

He forced himself up onto his paws, swaying unsteadily as he turned to head back. He was tired now and in no mood for walking. And now, on the wind, he could smell the rot. The disease. He felt it infusing the lining of his lungs, filling him up inside with its wretchedness. How could he not have noticed it before?

Or was that in his mind, too?

Probably.

"Let's go back." He replied, his voice short and sharp. "I don't want to be out here." Perhaps he could just curl up in his den and sleep. Maybe when he woke his would all have been some terrible nightmare.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:52 pm
"OK," she said, still frowning but pleased that he had stayed so calm and reasonable though this explanation. She stayed by his side as he walked in case she was needed but there was a noticeable distance between them now, she didn't want to upset him more. She didn't say anything else on the way back, either, giving him more time to process what she had told him. When he was settled back into his den and resting, she would go and see if there were any mind healers about that might be able to talk to him.. but she had to wonder if more strangers from the pride would really get through to him just yet.

It would be OK, she would help him see that.

Fin!  

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

[IC] Kitwana'antara Lands [IC]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items