Welcome to Gaia! ::

.:. Shadows of Africa - Moving! .:.

Back to Guilds

Reply [IC] Abandoned Swamplands [IC]
[EVENT] Opening Ceremony (Wrap-up/TBC, p.6!) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Meepfur
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:27 am
User Image

The games are about to begin again!

In anticipation and celebration, La'u Khara'i has organized a feast for the day before. It's a time when the pride can come together, have fun, and maybe make a few bets.

----

Rules
1. No godmodding. Ever. (Unless you're me! ...wait.)
2. Most swampies can post, excluding pilgrims! And no, you may not 'backdate' in any way: if your swampie grew to adolescent before this was posted, they cannot be here. They are away on their quests.
3. If you don't have a swampie, you may post with snake or avian familiars (as long as they are 'unattached' to any SoA, because why would another SoA's familiar be here?). If you don't have either of those, you may post with something else small that might be in the swamp. No crocodiles, please.
4. This is open as of the initial post, and you're free to RP to your heart's content. Other official posts may be made periodically, and will be clearly marked.
5. All other SoA rules apply.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:13 am
The Goods

User Image

And then, of course, there is a prize. This little guy was colored by [Eskimo], and is the son of Udayacal and Ubhar-le-Jana. More family information will be provided to the winner. Each RP post is a ticket towards a raffle that will take place at the end of the RP!

Meepfur
Vice Captain

Meepfur
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:14 am
User Image

After the success of the previous year's games, the Queen had decided to make them an annual event: a celebration of the pride and its flourishing lands and population. There was a little trouble with that, however, as drought had come to the swamps in recent months and taken its toll. Conditions weren't dire, and the swamp not outright dry, but it could at best be described as 'slightly damp' now. It was a distressing circumstance, and so the games would serve the secondary purpose of providing a much-needed distraction from what could, in time, become a serious problem. While drinking water and prey were not yet in short supply, some might have begun questioning how long things could last.

Little was said, officially, of the drought, and when pressed, the Queen would give only vague acknowledgement of the situation - and if pressed further, change the subject or refuse to continue the conversation. Her grandmother, Mama Asali, had been largely absent, which had become another subject ripe for gossip. Where a year ago, the reign of La'u Khara'i had looked bright, it was now looking worryingly dimmer. If that was the case, though, she showed no sign of it now as she stood before the pride. She carried herself as she always did, head held high and royal persona on full display. Only the handful of lions closest to her, mostly family, knew that it had been weeks since she'd last slept well. That she fretted in her waking hours, and was haunted by dreams in her sleeping ones. That though her mask was yet intact, the elements of life and rule were beginning to wear at the lioness beneath it.

She stood on the small island that was the royal family's 'base' of sorts, , though it wasn't much of an island now. Where once it had been just deep enough that one had to swim to cross it, the water was only paw-deep. Khara was not alone on the island - the Nobles of the pride, along with her Consort, stood there as well. But most notable, perhaps, were the bodies of the preybeasts that lay around them. Killed earlier in the day, they had been dragged to where they now lay, then slashed open so that the blood might drain from them. It was now late afternoon, and far off in the distance, there were rumblings of thunder.

"Jini-misemi." Finally, after a long silence, La'u Khara'i stepped forward. As always, her voice was level and strong. "My fellow Spirit-talkers."

"As you know, tomorrow, the games will begin. And I hope that - while I am not among the prizes this time - everyone will find something that suits them, and enjoy themselves." The races, frog-catching, and mud-wrestling would all be among the events again, as well as contests specific to those of Ghost and Guardian rank. She could only hope for a good spectacle, a successful distraction, though what she would do when the high of the celebration had faded...

No, this was not the time or place for doubt. "But tonight, we honor the spirits. We remember the past, celebrate the present, and look to all the future holds. We have been blessed with prosperity, and for that we give our thanks. With this gift of blood, may the spirits be pleased, and continue to favor the faithful."

The bright-pelted lioness bowed her head and was silent for several minutes. When she looked up again, she smiled out at her audience. "Let the feasting begin!"

The Jini-misemi were not wasteful, and the same beasts whose blood had fed the spirits would also feed those who spoke to them.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:38 am
User Image

The situations the pride faced, ones that could easily become dire in the future, were not lost on Kiivas'lintu. Fierce Bird was her name and fierce she was in all she did. She took pride in her hunting and was a competitive creature by nature, thus she eagerly looked forward to the games that would come on the following day. It was a much needed distraction, as well as a prime opportunity for her to show off to other members of Jini-misemi.

The young lioness looked on her queen, La'u Khara'i with a sense of both wonderment and admiration. If ever there was a strong lioness that Kiivas looked up to, it was her. Oh, and her own mother, of course, but she admired her leader greatly and dipped her head in respect as the lioness addressed the pride. Kiivas'lintu did not know that La'u Khara'i had not slept in ages, nor did she realize just how worried she was over the pride's future in particular. Then again, worry came with the position, right?

Regardless, she hung on to the lioness's every word and her tail twitched with excitement at the thought of the games ahead. Tonight, they would honor the spirits. Tomorrow, she would compete. She'd not eaten much as of late, instead throwing herself into her work to help prepare this feast. She would feed well, yet made a mental note not to over indulge too much this evening.

She needed to be in prime shape, after all.

Rainhowl

Tipsy Prophet

9,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Epine de Rose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:50 am
User Image

Cayla had been too young to remember the original games, but she'd heard stories of it here and there from her mother. She had never been the supremely sporting time and had always been more artistic in her endeavours, but at the very least she could appreciate the sentiment. This didn't meant the small lioness wouldn't compete of course! Particularly since Szurke had worked so hard to ensure that she was capable of her current position - suffice to say that on this occasion she better put her skills to use.

...Granted, she didn't have much confidence in succeeding under pressure, but she was always up for a little fun.

Thus it was with a smile on her lips that she had padded towards the crowd and taken a seat. There she had listened to the queen of the pride as she had commenced the celebration to the spirits and then she had done as her fell Jini had, she had approached the fallen prey. She would eat well tonight, but she'd be sure not to over indulge as she wasn't the greedy type... That way, she could also be sure she wasn't too full if she did decide to compete! Even if she did lose in the first round; she couldn't help but grin at that thought.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:48 am
User Image

As it usually went with those things, the drought hadn't worried Mteremo. At first. As far as he was concerned, this was a seasonal thing, the dry season happened every year. But the swamp never got quite this "dry", and the rains were taking their sweet time to return. But they had enough water to drink, and the thunder in the distance gave the cream male hope that this would all end soon and go back to normal.

Besides, it wasn't like the swamp had become inhabitable or anything! There was still water, and mud, though concentrations varied.

An optimist by nature, he preferred to focus on positive things! The games were a good opportunity to bring the pride together, meet new people and make friends. He had invited Maeve to come with, but wasn't sure she would be coming. Still, he was very interested in some good, fun play!

He listened with interest as their Queen spoke, and briefly wondered if she'd mention anything about the drought. But she didn't, and he wasn't too surprised. Mteremo didn't think too much of it, not with good food around. Unlike Avichayil'Cayla and Kiivas'lintu he was not worried about eating so much he wouldn't be fit to compete tomorrow (Mteremo wasn't even sure he would), but he wouldn't eat too much, just to not be rude.

User Image

Still rather young, Ani found it a bit more difficult to be polite about things. She was practically bouncing on her pas as the Queen spoke. Of course she respected La'u Khara'i, she was pretty cool, being Queen and all. But Ani was young and wasn't so much interested in feasting as she was in actually playing. She'd be the best frog-catcher ever! Of course she hadn't been around for the previous games, but once the young female learned frog catching would be involved, she was interested!

The drought didn't mean much to her, and in her own way she sort of liked the lower water levels. In some places it had been too deep for her, so the swamp had become more young-lion accessible in some ways. And Ani was practically a cub, she had no real concept of the consequences this drought could have for them in the long run.

She went to the food as the others did, but didn't do much more than nibble a bit. Instead she wandered over towards the Queen... then suddenly felt shy and settled for trying to chat with one of the huntresses present, Kiivas'lintu. "Hi!" Ani said, happily, when close enough. "What games are you gonna play?"

wooga Paes

Shirtless Explorer

Kaelyndra

Liberal Streaker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:04 am
User Image

This would be her first feast. The worries of drought were mostly lost upon her - she was young, and the water had been this low for as long as she could remember.

Asami's eyes were wide, pupils dilated. Growing up, she'd been used to constantly seeing new faces around the swamps. She had stayed as close as possible to her mothers side, burying her face into a leg when someone introduced themselves. But, she would smile, liking the attention regardless.

Now, with everyone in one place, Asami's brain began to fizzle and fail. She'd misplaced her mother ages ago, wanting to go greet everyone and realizing it was too much of a task for her.

Instead, she found herself out in the swampy water, between the island of food and the largest mass of people. She'd sat down in it, overwhelmed, frustrated, and stared off at the chattering hum of lions.

Her butt was wet. She frowned, but could not bring herself to move. It was just too much.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:11 am
"Oh, hello Ani!"

Kiivas'lintu had been eating, yet not gorging herself. Crimson stained the white bits of fur around her mouth, which she made an attempt to lick away as her tongue ran across her chops. She smiled down at the youngling, who would no doubt be old enough to go on her quest sometime soon... They grew so fast! She'd not been a mother yet, focusing more on helping to provide for the pride, but she often took a shine to the cubs of other lionesses and it made her sometimes want her own.

Maybe one day.

But for now, in the present, there was food to be had and games to be played and Ani was asking her what she planned to do!. Her striped tail twitched as she bent her head in low.

"I'm gonna race... But what I am really looking forward to is frog catching. I used to do that when I was your age and momma let me wander far enough away to do it. You ever catch a frog before?"

Rainhowl

Tipsy Prophet

9,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Mark Twain 100

OP-Yuna

Crew

Dulcet Scarface

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:31 am
User Image

Domevlo had been worried about the drought for a while now. Then again, Domevlo seemed to always be worried about this, that, or the other. He tried to let up for the festivities, though, and let his massive presence be less serious business and more welcoming - something that didn't come easy to the grotesquely scarred lion. He wondered if Mono would be joining them for the festivities... He certainly hoped so....  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:34 am
User Image

Vyoga'kwaa remembered the last year's games well, they had taken place shortly after his return home and ended with his being taken as Khara's consort. And since then he had been very happy- even if the most he generally accomplished was moral support and looking pretty (sort of!) beside her. Which was what he did now, though as she spoke he couldn't help but let his mind wander. Having a reminder of just how much time had past since the last games.. he couldn't help but review who still hadn't come home. Four more of his siblings had been sent away on name quests and only two of any of them had returned since Vyoga had. He still had friends who hadn't come back, too.

As Khara lead into a few moments of silence, he bowed his head respectfully but his eyes kept moving- he had spotted one of Amali's little sisters, Ani. They were getting so big it seemed unlikely Amali would get to see them before they were full grown- assuming he and they all returned from name quests.

He straightened back up when Khara announced the start of the feast, taking a step closer to her and offering an encouraging smile. He had to focus more on what was happening now and that meant Khara and the games. It was just too bad there wouldn't be as much mud as last year.

User Image

Marasharasha was not the most obviously social lion, though he liked the crowds and keeping an eye on the goings-on of the pride. It was his attitude that made him so off-putting and he didn't really mind that, there were always gatherings like this to help him get his fill on social interactions. He hadn't participated last year but he figured he might this year. So he put himself in the middle of the crowd and listened to what everybody else was talking about, making no particular effort to participate but just enjoying the group being together- regardless of any previous or current worries of his regarding the water level.  

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

wooga Paes

Shirtless Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:00 pm
Ani was almost indignant! But she knew better. "Of course I've caught a frog! I'm the best frog-catcher." A bit of a hyperbole, but normal enough for kids. Ani was a perfectly average frog-catcher for her age. "I wanna play that one too. But I don't think I'd race." Even an imaginative little cub like Ani wouldn't dream she'd be able to outrun an adult. Cubs could be quick for their size, but outrunning a fully grown lion? That just wasn't possible!

"I know the best places to catch frogs, though." Yeah, and she wouldn't tell the comptetition. "Are you excited?"

--

Glancing around those gathered here, Mteremo managed to spot a young red female, sitting in the shallow water. He liked kids, and hoped for them someday. Of course only when Maeve was ready, which... may take a while.

Unfortunately he couldn't say he knew everyone's name. All he knew of this young lady was that her name started with an A. And there was an 's' in there somewhere? Anyways, she looked rather overwhelmed. Not sure where her parents were, Mteremo took it upon himself to pull out a chunk of meat from one of the prey and wander over to where the poor cub sat. "Hey 'ere. You hung'y?" He asked around the chunk of meat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:04 pm
A small blue Frog name Simli walk around looking up at all the lions. What was going on here he thought. He could hear that they was talking about something but he didn't really know what it was about. He look at one of the lions and coke "Hey bubby! Do you know what going on around here? You guys sure do know how to make a lot of noise around here don'cha?" He hop around as he said this. There was always something going on with these lions and he love to watch them do thing because it would be super funny. He stop hopping around and try to see who was the boss of this lion pack.

((I hope I did this okay))  

Znaruto

Dapper Humorist

Kaelyndra

Liberal Streaker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:25 pm
Being greeted was like being hit with a blast of cold water full of emotions.

Asami wrinkled up, nose and ears all flat, and pulled her body into a ball. A small squeal escaped her mouth, though it was not an alarmed sound. No, it was a large escape of excitement that matched the smile which had stretched all the way across her face. One which she was desperately trying to hide in her chest.

"Eee," she pronounced. And then, remembering her manners, "Hi." She poked one eye open and wiggled down as low as she could get. Now her belly was wet.

"Yes!" she answered, momentarily forgetting her fear at the kind offer. But, they couldn't eat that here, could they? Her eyes flicked to slightly drier land. Maybe they could eat it right here! Momma would probably be so mad, but maybe he knew something her mother didn't.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:45 pm
For the Queen, who ordinarily thrived on attention, it was a relief to finish speaking, to narrow her focus back to those who stood closer to her. She turned her gaze to Vyoga and moved to bump shoulders with him. It was only a small gesture, as she wasn't much for very public displays of affection, but her appreciation of her Consort had risen sharply of late - not that she hadn't appreciated him before, but it was good now to have someone to lean on.

She smiled at the black-maned lion and settled back on her haunches to observe. "You should go ahead and eat, if you're hungry. Enjoy this."

Khara wasn't hungry, so if anyone was waiting for her, they'd be waiting quite awhile.

Meepfur
Vice Captain

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:15 pm
Vyoga exaggerated the effect of her affectionate bump, always smiling, and staying stubbornly at her side when she sat down and told him to eat. He didn't expect she would eat and he didn't think his commenting would help her any so he kept his thoughts on that particular topic.

"Nah," he said, "Too excited- but I don't know if we can top last year. I definitely can't do much better."

He would eat if it seemed like anybody was waiting for someone to take the lead but there were plenty headed for it, it would be fine. He wasn't very good at that kind of thing but he had been getting better at recognizing situations where it helped.

[IC] Abandoned Swamplands [IC]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff